Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Mike Keenan's Fan 960 Interview

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 senor_incendiarse

senor_incendiarse

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

In case anyone wants to know what he had to say here is the link
http://www.fan960.co...404_123135_8420

-States his firing came from management and not Sutter, Sutter felt injuries caused the failure in '09 but mgmt still wanted him gone.
-Dion was vocal, Nystrom has good character traits, Jarome was quiet but never had any issues with him. Believes actions on ice speak more than words in the room.
-Felt Kipper was not as good for him as he has been for others.
-Saw similarity between Iggy and Messier, Messier was also quiet but battled on the ice and he thought Jarome did the same. Felt Iggy still needed to learn more in the leadership aspect to embrace his team mates and not try to do it all on his own, it was something he would have worked on with him had he not been fired.
-Feels Iggy doesn't want to bail on the team.
-This team just not built to win a championship now.
-Infighting between Dion and Regehr needed to be handled in house instead of dismantling.
-Thought ingredients were there in '09 to get better.
-Couldn't find a job where he could go 3 years without making the playoffs, in his case he lost jobs for not getting far in the playoffs. Doesn't state whether Brent should or shouldn't be fired.
-Wants another coaching job, felt he unfairly lost his job here and wants to end on a better note.

#2 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

Don't know.
Good interview with great questions.
End of the day though, he wasn't the Iron Mike that worked over Regehr and Phaneuf and settled it.
It became someone else's problem.
He pretty much derailed Langkow at every turn, and didn't get Iginla to some ethereal next level he figures only he knows.
That's my grain of salt, for starters.

#3 nixkoo88

nixkoo88

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

I feel Mike Keenan was fired a little too soon to tell his ability as a coach after only 2 years (both successive to playoff appearances). Compared to Brent Sutter who hasn't been let go of even after missing the playoffs for 3 consecutive years, I think Keenan is better as "he got--" Iginla to the 50 goal plateau against the Canucks in his last year (the one with the retiring of Trevor Linden). Yes it's not a complete argument but I think that bringing the Flames to the playoffs twice is better than Sutter's attempts. Honestly I thought Brent was brought in because Darryl wanted his brother to coach the Flames, no other reason.

#4 Ring-a-ding-dong-dandy

Ring-a-ding-dong-dandy

A legend in my own mind

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

Don't know.
Good interview with great questions.
End of the day though, he wasn't the Iron Mike that worked over Regehr and Phaneuf and settled it.
It became someone else's problem.
He pretty much derailed Langkow at every turn, and didn't get Iginla to some ethereal next level he figures only he knows.
That's my grain of salt, for starters.

derailed Langkow? Are you watermeloning kidding me? Langkow had the 2nd best season of his career in the first year under Keenan, then in year 2 he shattered his hand and returned early from injury because of all the other injury problems the team was having.

And how can you say he didn't get Iginla to the next level? Iginla averaged over 42 goals and 93 points per season under Keenan. Far better production that we saw out of Iginla under any other coach (except Playfair)

#5 Futile

Futile

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

Did he say anything about Tanguay? IMO that is the # 1 reason he isn't right for us. He says Iginla is a god but refuses to put the two together even though they have proven chemistry.

#6 tachaudh

tachaudh

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

Great interview, although take what he says with a grain of salt. He was fired unceremoniously and probably has a bit of axe to grind. I didn't particularly like Mike Keenan as coach. He was okay, but his style is more suited to how the game was played 25 years ago. That's why he'll never coach in this league again. Sorry Mike, you're gonna have to leave your coaching career on a negative note.

Ultimately, hiring Brent Sutter is what took this organization down. Everything just went to hell after that hiring. It was a risky proposition from the start considering the familial angle.

I was fine with removing Keenan but it would have been much smarter if the Flames after Dave Tippett. That, or Darryl Sutter should have stepped behind the bench himself.

#7 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

derailed Langkow? Are you watermeloning kidding me? Langkow had the 2nd best season of his career in the first year under Keenan, then in year 2 he shattered his hand and returned early from injury because of all the other injury problems the team was having.

And how can you say he didn't get Iginla to the next level? Iginla averaged over 42 goals and 93 points per season under Keenan. Far better production that we saw out of Iginla under any other coach (except Playfair)

I'm not saying he didn't get Iginla to the next level, he's saying it.
Listen to the interview for chrissakes.
How was Langkow's 2nd year again?
Oh right, he got boarded by flipping Cooke and Keenan pretty much defended Cooke.
Lot's of respect there.
How did he resolve Phaneuf and Regehr again?
Oh right, he didn't.
Kiprusoff didn't what? bail him out as much as he would have liked?
Right, all hail Iron Mike...

#8 Ring-a-ding-dong-dandy

Ring-a-ding-dong-dandy

A legend in my own mind

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

I'm not saying he didn't get Iginla to the next level, he's saying it.
Listen to the interview for chrissakes.
How was Langkow's 2nd year again?
Oh right, he got boarded by flipping Cooke and Keenan pretty much defended Cooke.
Lot's of respect there.
How did he resolve Phaneuf and Regehr again?
Oh right, he didn't.
Kiprusoff didn't what? bail him out as much as he would have liked?
Right, all hail Iron Mike...

I listened to the interview, thanks. I am done though I can't reply to you without getting a warning or something.

#9 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

I listened to the interview, thanks. I am done though I can't reply to you without getting a warning or something.

For godsakes man, can't you be baited at all?
You've gotta lighten up.
I'm not exactly throwing all-knowing truths around.
There's no discussion if we all stand around nodding in agreement.

#10 CastleMania

CastleMania

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

I find this interesting. Definitely one of the most candid interviews we've had from behind the scenes of the flame's organization in a long time.

He said some things about Iggy that I definitely found interesting. He definitely did not characterize Iginla as the terrible leader that lots of people around here want to make him out to be. Just one more opinion to throw into the mix.

This is really the first time we've heard exactly what the problems in the locker room were. If it's true that the fighting was between Reghr and Phaneuf, I'm surprised they chose to move Phaneuf, when Reggie's game was so obviously sliding at the time. Perhaps this isn't a complete look at what was going on in the dressing room?

His comments regarding his firing seem strange to me. I find it difficult to believe that Sutter didn't have anything to do with the firing and it seemed like Keenan was reluctant to give him a free pass. Ultimately, I don't think Sutter would have lied to Keenan's face, but who knows.

Anyways, just some thoughts.

#11 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,295 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

This is really the first time we've heard exactly what the problems in the locker room were. If it's true that the fighting was between Reghr and Phaneuf, I'm surprised they chose to move Phaneuf, when Reggie's game was so obviously sliding at the time. Perhaps this isn't a complete look at what was going on in the dressing room?

This has been said before. Keenan was also vocal that it was not just Regehr that had problem with Iggy and the alot of the team came to him asking for Dion to be disciplined and called him "neon Dion". It was more than just Regehr vs Phaneuf.

His comments regarding his firing seem strange to me. I find it difficult to believe that Sutter didn't have anything to do with the firing and it seemed like Keenan was reluctant to give him a free pass. Ultimately, I don't think Sutter would have lied to Keenan's face, but who knows.

Anyways, just some thoughts.

Ya i also have questions about this one becuase this is the first time Keenan has said that he felt it came from outside Sutter. He has always just said the he got fired by Ken King, not Sutter, but his tone was always that Sutter stood by it and suported it. I also have a very hard time beliving that Sutter would have wanted to keep Keenan but King stepped in and said no. From everything i've heard King would do ANYTHING Sutter wanted and basically revered the man.

#12 Flame111

Flame111

Flames Zombie (Reality Bites)

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

This has been said before. Keenan was also vocal that it was not just Regehr that had problem with Iggy and the alot of the team came to him asking for Dion to be disciplined and called him "neon Dion". It was more than just Regehr vs Phaneuf.

Ya i also have questions about this one becuase this is the first time Keenan has said that he felt it came from outside Sutter. He has always just said the he got fired by Ken King, not Sutter, but his tone was always that Sutter stood by it and suported it. I also have a very hard time beliving that Sutter would have wanted to keep Keenan but King stepped in and said no. From everything i've heard King would do ANYTHING Sutter wanted and basically revered the man.

Yes this is the true root of the origin of the Flames descent.

King had grown far too personally close to Sutter, trusted him absolutely and even if others in the Flames organization had gone to King and said "Uh Ken, I'm not sure about this Neuf trade" or this Ranger trade for Kotalik. King would have told them to sit down.

This is the fundamental flaw in the whole chain of command and lead to the Flames descent. D Sutter had no check and balance, ran out of ideas and started to go wild, actually damaging the foundation of the team.

Everything I have heard is consistent with this. Now with Jay Feaster in the house the opposite has happened. Edwards is involved, King is looking at everything, including signing friggin draft picks. They know they screwed up with D Sutter and don't want to again.

Really Ken King should be held accountable and they should hire another President to come in. If there is any ownership interference it should stop, it never ends well. Untie Feaster's hands let him do his job, if you are not confident in him go get another GM who you are.

Personally I have no issues with the majority of Feaster's moves.

#13 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,132 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

I believe a lot of what Keenan has to say regarding the Flames has to be taken with a grain of salt...

Somewhere amongst the truthful comments and honest opinions, no doubt there are some omissions as to what he could say, and perhaps some half truths of other things he does comment on...

After all, Keenan is looking for another job in the league, so either way he will try and craft his words carefully... Perhaps when he packs in his coaching hopes for good, we might hear more...

One thing I will say, is I think Keenan should have got a chance for another year... Butter had similar talent levels of players to work with, and has failed to get the team to the playoffs in his three years...

Speaking of which... After giving it further thought, I am starting to believe that King can follow Butter out the door... Hell, for that matter, he might as well open it and lead the way...

#14 siliconscout

siliconscout

Champion of the Big Hit.

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

I think it was a great interview. Granted it didn't tell us anything that most of us already didn't know / suspect.

Personally I would like it if we tossed Ken King out and put Mike in as President. I think that he could make a potent combo with Feaster, assuming management was willing to let them do their jobs interference free.

Mike's got the hockey smarts / credibility and Feaster I think has the knack for digging the right players out.

We all know that it's a pipe dream though.

Here is what I expect to happen.

King stays, Feaster Stays, Iggy and Kipper Stay, in fact our front 6 and 4 probably don't change at all, irving and Karlson will fight for backup position and we will swap around some spare parts and pretend the team is a contender.

Why, because I honestly believe that is what the owners will want. They think they have a good product on the ice and until they run off that cliff they won't believe different.

#15 Zirakzigil

Zirakzigil

Hokay. So, heres da Earth.

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

Keenan was a good coach. Only thing I didnt like about him was that hes not a guy with any system or set plays. If you have a good assistant for him who is good in those areas I think it would be perfect.

#16 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

Sour grapes. This is the second time he has requested an interview to complain about being fired.

But it does show what outsiders think of the Flames roster. Not good enoigh to be a championship team.

#17 CastleMania

CastleMania

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

Sour grapes. This is the second time he has requested an interview to complain about being fired.

But it does show what outsiders think of the Flames roster. Not good enoigh to be a championship team.

Lol, I find it funny that that is what caught your attention.

#18 FlamesFan-97

FlamesFan-97

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:09 PM

Nice

We are better then the canucks

#19 successfulblackman

successfulblackman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:30 AM

For godsakes man, can't you be baited at all?
You've gotta lighten up.
I'm not exactly throwing all-knowing truths around.
There's no discussion if we all stand around nodding in agreement.

The problem with ding dog and company is that they are convinced that their opinion is correct no matter the case. And that anyone who is arguing with them is inferior both in intellect, and personality. People like him also love to through insults to demoralized their opponents, and to improve self bravado.

#20 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,255 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

Bruceumins Get the hell off our forums you low life. We don't want your frigging drugs. Go peddle your crap elsewhere.