Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Food Inc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:03 AM

I watched Food Inc the other day about the american food (meat) supply chain.
I'm not one to believe everything I hear/see, but dang, it's some messed up.
Their "engineering" meat management is vulgar. The chicken part is sick and the corn use is beyond unhealthy. Feeding corn to cattle?? How $#%$#&% dumb do you have to be, seriously?
What I CAN vouch for is never buy Tyson chicken if you're used to Canadian chicken. It's at least 20% fat, I threw out 5 lbs of their chicken breast after cooking up 4 and deeming it inedible.
And everything is sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup, and I mean EVERYTHING. Heinz ketchup, HP sauce, cereal, drinks, EVERYTHING. Where we use sugar or liquid sugar as our sweetener in our products (including the same company's stuff), in America, everywhere you SHOULD see sugar on the ingredient list, it's corn syrup. From apple sauce to yogurt to granola bars and everything in between.
If there are any nutritionist posters, tell us about corn syrup and why we use sugar and not corn syrup as sweetener, the worst possible ingredient for you.
Anyone else watched this documentary?

#2 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,317 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

I watched it when it first came out like 3 or 4 years ago.

I didn't think it was that bad because I watched the documentary with kind of an idea of the shadiness of the farming industry in the back of my head. I would've been shocked if they showed testtube chickens, or genetically modified chickens with 10 wings or something. Instead, they were just normal chickens cramped into a small barn which is c'est la vie.

Here's the thing, if i was to take a knife to a pig and carve my own bacon, I would be grossed out. I don't think i can kill something so cold blooded. The pig screaming. Pig looking right into my eyes. Me killing it while it's kicking and trying to run for its life. I'd rather they just do it for me and then i go buy it at Superstore.

#3 Kulstad

Kulstad

Resident Cat Wrangler

• Administrators
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

Here's the thing, if i was to take a knife to a pig and carve my own bacon, I would be grossed out. I don't think i can kill something so cold blooded. The pig screaming. Pig looking right into my eyes. Me killing it while it's kicking and trying to run for its life. I'd rather they just do it for me and then i go buy it at Superstore.

Exactly why I don't hunt. I don't begrudge those who do (as long as it's fair, not "Moose vs Uzi" or something like that), and I have respect for those who work in slaughterhouses (sister-in-law used to work at XL Foods in Brooks), as they are the ones who supply my tasty steaks and my morning bacon. It's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it.

#4 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

It's not the butchering that bothers me at all, I could do that, the smell would be horrible, but whatever.
The chickens live in the dark their whole lives and they're grown in a way that they don't even metabolize well enough to be able to carry their own weight in walking. From the breasts I bought, it's like there are thick veins of fat all through it. To cut it out, you're left with a bunch of morsels, not even stir fry size strips.
But the corn thing, wow. I've never seen cows ploughing through corn fields to raid them, likely because cows eat grasses, not corn.
But in America....wow...why?? Force-feeding cows to eat corn? Why? To create toxic excrement??
This is why a lot of US meat doesn't meet Cdn regulations to even approach A and B grades.
Cattle cars have been turned back at the border due to having living cows that any Cdn farmer would have shot and sold for dog food. But the drivers scratch their heads that we don't accept cows with 1/4 of their heads eaten away from god knows what.

And it's quite telling that the big 4 meat producers in the states won't let the public see how they operate.

#5 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

Having recently been diagnosed as Diabetic I understand what the OP is talking about. I have started all the Diabetic classes and taking all the nutrition stuff they recommend.

We are not much better here in Canada. Once you start to read nutrition labels and knowing what the good info is on them, your eyes open much wider. Take a look at labels down a cereal isle in any store and try to find one without sugar. You can't. Even those pretty packages that scream wholesome goodness and claim to have all those grains etc that are so good for you. Same with the biscuit isle. Even those dry breads and rice biscuits have sugars in them. A word of advice... just because it says "No sugar added" does not mean there is no sugar in it.

Corn syrup is only one of many cheap substitutes in the food chain. They use it a lot because they can buy corn cheap.

Start getting informed and suddenly that canola oil that you think is so great? well as my older sister said "you may as well take the oil from your car and use it". Genetics. Changing a lot of the things we eat like canola oil which is just one blip.

The diet pop that you drink so you don't drink as many calories is loaded with "Aspartame". Google "Aspartame" and start educating yourself. That is as good a place to start as any.

#6 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

People actually go down the middle aisles?
Sugar isn't near as bad as high-fructose corn syrup, make sure you don't shrug that off.
We process sugar better, imagine that, rather than turning corn into syrup.
I believe that food inc. ended in telling us the US diabetes epidemic was projecting 1 in 3 children affected.
How do you even begin to rationalize that?
Not sure how we compare by using sugar and eliminating the notoriously poor eating habits of the aboriginal populations (sorry, not my fault).

As an aside, I bought some canned corn, dumped it in the pot, let it go to cook.
Smelt burning. Corn. Bought it in the states. It wasn't stored in water like our easy thing to cook.
It was stored in corn syrup and even ruined the pot from the burning.
Yup. That bad.

#7 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

Corn syrup is only one of many cheap substitutes in the food chain. They use it a lot because they can buy corn cheap.

Start getting informed and suddenly that canola oil that you think is so great? well as my older sister said "you may as well take the oil from your car and use it". Genetics. Changing a lot of the things we eat like canola oil which is just one blip.

The corn industry is so heavily subsidized that they grow so much corn that they'll even stuff it into cows. Nothing has sugar because corn products are virtually free.
At the end of the day, you're sacrificing you're entire food chain for an artificial sweetener.

As far as canola oil goes, it isn't hard to educate.
If you fry your foods, what temperature is required? Google what the burn temperatures are for different cooking oils and select an oil that isn't car oil, but most could be. Olive oil has various temperatures by process to keep in mind and all impart some flavour.
Peanut oil is a good median that doesn't impart it's flavour into the food, but I know nobody with nut allergies.
All of them beat frying in margarine or lard regardless.

#8 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,317 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

So, what's your solution to the problem?

Should everyone raise their own cattle and grow their own veggies?

#9 happycat

happycat

Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

In China we eat, 1) Radioactive rice (heavy metals). 2)PLASTIC rice 3) baby milk with leathery goo juice (dyes), beer with fromadyhde. The Chinese olympic team refuse to eat meat, because they are worried that the hormones might disqualify them, Million Oil (Mickey DEE'S oil reused a million times! very carcenogenic), Tainted soda pop, Chinese buns are gooey toxic, Eggs have puberty chicken goo (blood), growth hormones in fruits and veggies destroying crops (Watermellons in Asia are these bowling ball ones, not football ones we have in Canada, so the explode when they grow). Black gooey ink like irragation water that has this Putrid soil smell to it (similar to gravel). Chicken Flu....., Ramen bolion used to turn Pork into beef...

#10 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

Having recently been diagnosed as Diabetic

Wow. I'm ashamed of myself DD, I didn't even acknowledge.
Hope you're coping alright.
Any insights you have are most welcomed.
People need to be educated in any manner possible, it IS an epidemic.
I'll be next, who knows...

#11 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

So, what's your solution to the problem?

Should everyone raise their own cattle and grow their own veggies?

Nah, my intentions were never about that.
I'm not PETA and I'm not a card-carrying environmentalist.
I'm simply bringing up food discussion for educational purposes.
I'm speaking from my experiences as much as I'm lending some credence to the documentary.
But at the end of the day, a larger food discussion is fine by me.
What do you love, what do you hate, how and where do you shop and why, whatever.
I'm not banging the gong of Food Inc is all holy, just sensible discussion.
DD brings up diabetes, I'd be fine if that discussion continued, because it needs to.
It's all food.

Planting tricks are welcomed too. Got ants, plant marigolds, flower petals are called poor mans saffron...

#12 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

Wow. I'm ashamed of myself DD, I didn't even acknowledge.
Hope you're coping alright.
Any insights you have are most welcomed.
People need to be educated in any manner possible, it IS an epidemic.
I'll be next, who knows...

NP at all. Diabetes is a big problem in society these days and it slots right in there with obesity and all that comes with it like sugar or your corn syrup which fits right into that crowd like an old friend.

I did it to myself no doubt with the 1-2 Big Gulps a day or slamming back that 6 pack of pepsi with no thought to what it could do. If you don't care what you put into your body because you feel good or full then it will catch up to you. You are finding out after seeing the documentary that the governments don't have your back as to what goes into the food chain.

I used to joke about how all the preservatives that we eat was the reason why people live longer. Okay... It was funny at the time.

I was just watching a few nights ago a new item about big meat processors who ship beef with carbon monoxide in sealed packaging. What really got me was they do it because it keeps the meat red and fresh looking even though the meat could be toxic and weeks old when you eventually buy it.

Bottom line is if you don't know what you are really eating, don't expect anyone else to be responsible for what it does to you. Chemicals are chemicals and you should be concerned about what they could do to your body.

#13 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

oops

#14 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:27 AM

NP at all. Diabetes is a big problem in society these days and it slots right in there with obesity and all that comes with it like sugar or your corn syrup which fits right into that crowd like an old friend.

I did it to myself no doubt with the 1-2 Big Gulps a day or slamming back that 6 pack of pepsi with no thought to what it could do. If you don't care what you put into your body because you feel good or full then it will catch up to you. You are finding out after seeing the documentary that the governments don't have your back as to what goes into the food chain.

I used to joke about how all the preservatives that we eat was the reason why people live longer. Okay... It was funny at the time.

I was just watching a few nights ago a new item about big meat processors who ship beef with carbon monoxide in sealed packaging. What really got me was they do it because it keeps the meat red and fresh looking even though the meat could be toxic and weeks old when you eventually buy it.

Bottom line is if you don't know what you are really eating, don't expect anyone else to be responsible for what it does to you. Chemicals are chemicals and you should be concerned about what they could do to your body.

The preservatives are what takes us longer to rot when we are in the ground.

I worked at a Coke production plant in high school summers.
It turned me off of pop immediately.
It is ALL sugar, I was amazed it came out in liquid form,
It is %$#%%^% disgusting folks, sorry it's a beverage that you enjoy.
Carbonated drinks are really bad for you in general as it's an appetite suppressor, and when your body is saying "I'm hungry", don't suppress it with flipping soda or let soda suppress it at all, for that matter.

I worked at Coke from 15 to 17, I'm very thankful that I was shown that. The rest of you, well, I guess you'll have to trust me!!

As for trusting the govt on the food you eat, yeah.
Didn't we slaughter the bison population to near extinction and roll in cattle?
Wow, free range food, let's kill them all...

#15 Crzydrvr

Crzydrvr

Resident Draft Junkie

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

Remember when society wasn't run on how to maximize profits by using the cheapest stuff available? Yeah, me neither.

At some point we've gone from just making a living into "Let's become billionaires by sacrificing the masses". Nobody cares about what's good for us anymore, they just care about their own bottom lines and profit margins. And the people that do care are the people with no power. The people that have power, well, they use it to make sure the people don't know anything.

Looks like I'm going to have to live outside of society now before I die from the **** they put in our food. I'm thinking of becoming a hermit by buying a plan loaded with self-sustainable equipment and "crashing" into a deserted island off the Pacific.

It'll be like that Minecraft game, except without all the cubes and tree-punching.

#16 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

I'd hardly be drastic about it. It's just nice to know what it is you're actually eating.
It doesn't take much for people to educate themselves, they aren't "healthy choices", they're "educated choices".
There was a clip on the main page of one of the Flames prospects being out of shape and the org taking him and even teaching him how to grocery shop.
Ignorance isn't really bliss when it comes to what we cram in our gullet.

Again, I'm not crying, "ahhhh chaos". I love food and I've worked around some interesting food subject matter.
I can be pretty down about my experiences, but that is what it is.
Imagine being 14, loving pop, getting a job where you can drink all you want, only to be turned off of it like right now!
That was me.
And that was a company telling employees, "sure drink all you want while you're at work". They undoubtedly realize the large majority isn't touching it when the see how it's made. A full bottle of sugar that they turn into liquid. Call it what it is, it isn't soda pop. It's a carbonated heavy syrup.
Sounds yummy doesn't it? That's why you're seeing, and will continue to see, bans imposed on those products. Sell your stock soon.
Or witnessing heavily tumored cattle at the border, yikes, whose eating that?
Whose worked at a meat processing plant here? What won't you eat from that experience??

Foodtip:
Anyone have a veggie garden? Put tire(or equivalent) and soil over your potatoes when the stem breaks ground. Repeat through the growing season. Dismantle the tires and pick 30 lbs of potatoes off the ground from 1 plant. All from a 2 sq ft space in a small garden. Cooking time reduces by about 60% for fresh potatoes over store bought.

Just a food thread, not a "it's going to hell in a handbasket" one, please!

DD, how have you changed your diet, and are you having a hard time making the adjustment?

#17 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:32 AM

DD, how have you changed your diet, and are you having a hard time making the adjustment?

1st thing I did was find a soda pop replacement. I now do batches of Flavoured Iced Teas and Crystal Lights. Crystal Light is mostly aspertame but they have a few flavors that use sucralose instead which is not as bad. My morning coffee is now sweetened with Stevia. It is not a bitter chemical but rather a sweet plant extract.

I look at all labels and have removed most foods that have a lot of sugars in it. For me the body treats all carbohydrates like sugar so I subtract the fibre from carbohydrates to get a more accurate sugar equivalent figure on the food. Once you start to actually read the nutrition labels, you begin to understand what is in it and what you should be looking for.

Huge transformation in my diet here and I now do most of my own cooking. I make my own bread too. I can't just remove sugar from my diet, as we need the sugars and starches for energy. Starch is also turned into sugar by the body and used by the body for energy.

Hard time making an adjustment? Well yes and no. I don't have a lot of choice. I just packed up all my sugar products in the house and trashed it or sent it off to relatives. I could just ignore the sugar readings or medication. But I was at 32 blood sugar(norm is under 7) and my eyesight was blurred. Huge wakeup call for me that took 3 months to settle down.

You want motivation to change your eating habits? losing your eyesight is a good one. I am fortunate it wasn't permanent and that I had decent medical people around to recognize what was happening early on.

I am still adjusting but I have it down to baby steps required for adjustments now.

#18 Anie8706

Anie8706

The Resident Troll

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:08 PM

I could talk about my job in the kitchen up here but don't think it is that interesting, lol.

#19 happycat

happycat

Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:26 AM

i stopped drinking pop or at least habitually when i discovered that it causes me strange stresses in my chest area, and alot of headaches.However natural fruit juices that have a sane nonxtreme concentrations of sugar, honestly do taste good and is really easier on the head. That's probably how Micheal J Fox, got alzimers at 40. All that nutra sweet. be

I'm glad that some petitions do make it to the house of commons and hey do band some chemicals liks BPA that the residue traces eventually lead to brain meltdowns, and somehow affects generlogical hormones.

Just remember to support farmer's markets, and slowly wing yourself off the "man's" food, as a former McDick's worker we use tefelon sheets on the heating pads, this is one of those chemicals that hurts the hormones.
The oldest Japanese guys usually eat a natural diet, consisting of many tangy fruits,( this is what cleans their insides up). And allows the body to rebuild itself.

in the ened it's really just cleaning your mechanics up.And the really cool thing is.... alot of these farms and fruit plantations due to hippyish eco living, and other green party like beliefs are slowly discovering ways to grow at a profit, and keep the food supplies clean and au natural. Those Japanese and Korean eldery have discovered that simple eating fruits and veggies really do clean them up. In the end there really is no Son Wukong magical monkey king pill of immortality. but there is plenty of durian at T&T. And curry, that yellowish brown goo is a spice called temerac.. it's very very good for your brain.

And change your sweetner to natural honey, even better.....

#20 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

i stopped drinking pop or at least habitually when i discovered that it causes me strange stresses in my chest area, and alot of headaches.However natural fruit juices that have a sane nonxtreme concentrations of sugar, honestly do taste good and is really easier on the head. That's probably how Micheal J Fox, got alzimers at 40. All that nutra sweet. be

I'm glad that some petitions do make it to the house of commons and hey do band some chemicals liks BPA that the residue traces eventually lead to brain meltdowns, and somehow affects generlogical hormones.

Just remember to support farmer's markets, and slowly wing yourself off the "man's" food, as a former McDick's worker we use tefelon sheets on the heating pads, this is one of those chemicals that hurts the hormones.
The oldest Japanese guys usually eat a natural diet, consisting of many tangy fruits,( this is what cleans their insides up). And allows the body to rebuild itself.

in the ened it's really just cleaning your mechanics up.And the really cool thing is.... alot of these farms and fruit plantations due to hippyish eco living, and other green party like beliefs are slowly discovering ways to grow at a profit, and keep the food supplies clean and au natural. Those Japanese and Korean eldery have discovered that simple eating fruits and veggies really do clean them up. In the end there really is no Son Wukong magical monkey king pill of immortality. but there is plenty of durian at T&T. And curry, that yellowish brown goo is a spice called temerac.. it's very very good for your brain.

And change your sweetner to natural honey, even better.....

I agree with all of it. Isn't tea a big deal too? I have a hard time with that one because I'm not a big tea fan. I've acquired the unsweetened homemade iced tea taste thankfully and I find NOTHING that quenches my thirst so well.

Turmeric is delicious and sweet besides how it's good for you too.
I've fallen hard for "vietnamese subs". When my sandwich toppings are cucumber sliced lengthwise, shredded carrot and cilantro and the flavours blend with the meat I'm all in!! This ain't Subway!
Salad rolls with peanut sauce is also a big fave, and I've taken a surprising liking to root veggie soup. Eggplant(never liked), turnip, carrot, sweet potato, onion, celery reduce 4 cups of water to 2 and the tastes of the veggies in the broth is phenomenal.
Since I was told to try using eggplant a year ago, it's a huge difference. I won't eat eggplant outside of this, I simply don't much like it, taste or texture.

When I look at the price of bbqing up a nice t-bone or striploin, shark steaks are often cheaper where I live. If I just brush on a steak marinade throughout cooking, I end up with a meat that is near as firm as beef yet has that bbq steak flavour intensely throughout the meat, due to the smoke flavour actually penetrating the meat rather that having to salt the heck out of beef to pull the flavour out. And I don't feel like I ate a brick, which is the worst feeling in the world as it sucks any motivation right out of you.
Anyone care to discuss margarine vs butter?? Then I'll tell you how to cook perfect, every time, an inside round roast!!
To paraphrase Cheech and Chong, I used to be all messed up on drugs, but now that I've found food, now I'm all messed up on food.

Eating well can be a challenge, but when you start realizing how many tasty and easy things you didn't realize you were missing out on, it just becomes natural.