The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest happycat

Go Team Canada Go.....

Remember "it was in" in '04?

I'm so glad the Flames players never whined after that because there was still a game to be played. The soccer game didn't end when the Americans were awarded a free kick and then the subsequent penalty shot. The Canadian defender had a fair chance to make it more clear that she did not commit hand ball. The Canadian goalie had a fair chance to make a save. The Americans still had to score to make it count. There was also still time on the clock to win the game in extra time. Etc Etc Etc.

It's called poor sportsmanship. Looking for whatever excuses they could find. It's embarrassing.

Do I think they got shafted? ABSOLUTELY they did. But let us say if for them. That's what fans are for. It looks so bad when they open their own mouths.

Sorry Peeps, but I totally disagree with your assessment on this...

I played competitive soccer for several years to help me stay in shape for hockey, and still continue to ref games and have built a solid reputation for calling games fairly...

The poor sportsmanship finger is better pointed at Wambach of the US team...

By her own admission Tuesday, Wambach revealed that she started doing countdowns in Pedersen’s (the ref) ear every time McLeod (Canada's goalie) held the ball...

“I wasn’t yelling. I was just counting,” Wambach was quoted Wednesday in a yahoo.com story. “Probably did it five to seven times.”

Now if I am the ref in that game, I would have warned Wambach to quit doing the fast count for my benefit and just let me do my job... If she had continued to persist in her efforts, I would have given Wambach a couple of warnings, and then if necessary a yellow card... Wambach was effectively herself interfering with the game and trying to influence the ref... Which ultimately she succeeded in doing with a ref who most likely never should have been officiating in the first place... That ref did not officiate in either of the gold/silver or bronze medal games...

As far as the delay of game call, if necessary it would have been my responsibility to give a verbal warning if I thought it was necessary, that would be my job, and not the linesman's... The indirect kick awarded, especially for a game of that significance was ridiculous, it is a very rare call that is virtually never made...

As far as the call for the hand ball, that was a total joke... The Canadian defender was turning away from a ball coming straight at her at mach 2 and made no arm movement whatsoever in any attempt to make contact with the ball, it just happened to hit her there...

Awarding a penalty shot for that did in effect alter the medal round and further sully the officiating for the games...

So my reason for typing this is that I do not blame the Canadian woman's soccer team for being PO'ed and then having something to say about how they got burned...

These are not professional athletes making the big money that will continue the next paycheck regardless of them getting screwed by an incompetent ref... There is first and foremost the goal of potentially winning the gold... That is what they make all their individual sacrifices in their lives for many years for... Then there are potential endorsements for some of them, etc...

The only thing embarrassing here, is when a so called fan fails to show the proper level of support for their team representing their country when a travesty like this takes place... By your own admission, they got shafted... So for anyone to find their reaction to getting burned in a crucial game embarrassing, I would have to wonder if that person them self had ever been involved in any higher level of competition in any sport... Because if you are competitive when playing a sport, that is quite normal...

The only thing embarrassing here, is when a so called fan fails to show the proper level of support for their team representing their country when a travesty like this takes place... By your own admission, they got shafted... So for anyone to find their reaction to getting burned in a crucial game embarrassing, I would have to wonder if that person them self had ever been involved in any higher level of competition in any sport... Because if you are competitive when playing a sport, that is quite normal...

Mind if i ask you, why do you think there are rules in place to prevent teams from publicly denouncing officiating? Why don't they just let athletes have open season on referees?

Mind if i ask you, why do you think there are rules in place to prevent teams from publicly denouncing officiating? Why don't they just let athletes have open season on referees?

Not at all, it is an easy answer... As a number of different sports have evolved into being more than initially a game played only for the purpose of enjoyment and then perhaps hope and honor in the sake of competition... Some of the sports have seen an exponential increase of also being big business...

Once that happens, the potential of trying to gain an advantage against a competitor by any means necessary is much more likely to rear it's ugly head...

Bottom line, even though what I said above is true, in the end it matters a lot less than what I think is the real problem...

One of the very top key components in refereeing any game in any sport is being impartial to the teams involved...

I can honestly say that I have done so myself when it comes to calls, even when against my own Alma-matter(s)... And sometimes it is not easy... But it is what it is, and you have to do it...

To answer your question, the rules in place where only put in place in order to avoid criticism of the powers that be from having to face potentially deserved criticism... Those with the gold make the rules...

To answer your question, the rules in place where only put in place in order to avoid criticism of the powers that be from having to face potentially deserved criticism... Those with the gold make the rules...

Wow, nevermind then.

Wow, nevermind then.

You asked....

So go ahead and try and dispute what I said...

It ain't pretty, but it is a fact...

More importantly, it should not be...

Just define a set of rules for any given game, and then be consistent in the enforcement of the previously stated rules, it should be pretty simple...

You want to talk about bad sportsmanship, Peeps?

How about the American girls putting on those shirts after their win?

It's one thing for professionals to throw on a hat after winning, but for an amateur squad that is playing for their country in the Olympics and wearing their country's colours, to throw on an advertiser's t-shirt was one of the most disgusting things I have seen. Everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves.

You asked....

Just define a set of rules for any given game, and then be consistent in the enforcement of the previously stated rules, it should be pretty simple...

It's not people with power trying to avoid criticism bro. It's about those situations being an embarrassment to everybody involved. It spirals into a he said she said disaster for its sport in general.

Defined rules? Let's look at the rules for soccer for a second,

1. You can't delay the game on purpose.

2. You can't hand ball in the penalty box area.

You would probably counter by suggesting those calls rarely ever get called in an important game (kind of like clutching and grabbing in NHL is overlooked in playoff OT situations). It's like there's some secret subscript under the rules. You could probably suggest the hand ball was really marginal and the defender usually gets the benefit of the doubt in those situations. But on the contrary, it kind of was hand ball so that was kind of the correct call.

I will then counter further and you will counter back again. Where does all this "back and forth" get us? It just gets us to embarrass each other. It's the elimination of this that's why the rules against bashing referees are in place.

You want to talk about bad sportsmanship, Peeps?

No i don't want to talk about how two wrongs make a right, or how one wrong was less wrong than the other.

I wish the girls could've walked off that field with their heads held high and kept their mouths shut. In team sports, sometimes you get the call. sometimes you don't. You have to overcome adversity. The referee made a series of bad calls but she didn't kick the ball into the Canadian's net. Yes, the American girl was counting for the referee and she's embarrassing the Americans as well. But let's look at ourselves first. Why did the goalie hang onto the ball for so long?

It's like in NHL. A couple clutch and grabs go undetected and then one gets suddenly called. Do we blame the refs? Yea, sure, if you're a sore loser. Or you could actually play by the rules and not clutch and grab right?

You asked....

I'm starting to believe that completely competent and consistent officiating is humanly impossible.

I'm starting to believe that completely competent and consistent officiating is humanly impossible.

It is possible, I believe it has just become less common over the years...

I actually gave my own daughter a yellow card in a soccer game once... You should have seen the look on her face... :blink: She still teases me about it too, sometimes if I say something like "Don't be late"... She will reply "What are you going to do, card me?" :lol:

Guest happycat

soooo how about them Team Canada babes great game last night. Win the Bronze..... sexayyyyyy.

Guest happycat

Anyhooo..

speaking of bad ref calls, Canada's wrestler Garcia's finger was bitten by a wrestler from Team Japan. He drew blood and showed the ref his bleeding finger, but the ref let this slide.... the ref claimed that Garcia (double entente not intended), shoved his finger into Yonemitsu's mouth. and awarded 1 point reduction not two. Your thoughts? Seeing how wrestling your finger is pretty much up your opponents nose, and other unmentionable regions of your opponent and vice versa body. It's possible that again like with running the relay for Bronze, it was a mistaken misposition....

Like before they allowed two foul false starts for running, now there is none. Which would really blow say you've intensely trained for so long, you're a Kenetic Potential Energy charged python ready to hear the gun, and you spring to action just nano seconds from the gun firing,,, then it's allll over.... Honestly these psychologies and other hurdles, just over coming them is olympic....

What are your thoughts of Missy Missle? the women swimmer, who has dual citizenship of Canada and US, but chose to swim for the US, and win many golds. Personally I'm glad, no offense to China, but I was hoping America won the medal see-saw (sp), but sadly those would have really given a boost to our ambitions this year. It's one of those transition games, our high preformance in Beijing was because we had many athletes who were in their second term (using President 4 year term reference), where as now this is perhaps their 3rd run, and their bodies are really really hurting. Most of our athletes during this London games were newer.... But neverless, most of our guys ended their career with a medal. (Wighfield fell down, which REALLY blew, van Koverten was a powerhouse held a huge lead nut was over powered earned a silver....

But our guys fight hard for these silvers and bronzes.