SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Photo

Goalie Situation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 echoison

echoison

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

So do you think there is any value in Henrik Karlsson for teams like BOS or VAN that have new starting goalies and no backup with any experience?

#2 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,914 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

No. He has little experience to add and has not proven he can be a backup. He has no value IMO.

#3 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

Misguided Angel

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,522 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:33 PM

No. He has little experience to add and has not proven he can be a backup. He has no value IMO.

This.

We might be able to shed a contract/roster spot & his .862 if we put him on waivers but that's about it.
(Maybe a conditional 7th rounder for games appeared in if we're lucky.)

#4 Crzydrvr

Crzydrvr

Resident Draft Junkie

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

At most it'll only equate to what we gave up for him (i.e. 6th/7th round pick) but depending on what goes down during camps (i.e. injuries, trade requests) somebody may be in the market for a guy who can play in the NHL for a few games until their guys return.

Not many teams need a starter, but a decent amount need a backup option for the short term and some (the Isles) need like 4 or 5 every year due to insanely bad luck. Carolina, Boston, the aforementioned Isles, and the Ducks look like they could use a short-term option behind their proven starter right now, while teams like Toronto, Los Angeles, and Vancouver might be in the market for a cheap backup depending on how things shake down this offseason.

#5 Ring-a-ding-dong-dandy

Ring-a-ding-dong-dandy

A legend in my own mind

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:03 PM

I think his greatest value to us will be as the starter in Abbotsford.

I would also refuse him the opportunity to be loaned to a European club so that if he refuses to report to Abbotsford we can terminate his contract and sign Danny Taylor to start in Abbotsford.

#6 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,784 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:20 PM

I think his greatest value to us will be as the starter in Abbotsford.

I would also refuse him the opportunity to be loaned to a European club so that if he refuses to report to Abbotsford we can terminate his contract and sign Danny Taylor to start in Abbotsford.

I could be wrong, but I believe he has a European out clause in his contract.

#7 Ring-a-ding-dong-dandy

Ring-a-ding-dong-dandy

A legend in my own mind

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:02 PM

I could be wrong, but I believe he has a European out clause in his contract.

is that allowed on a 1 way deal? I have been under the impression a European out clause if for 2way deals

#8 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,784 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

is that allowed on a 1 way deal? I have been under the impression a European out clause if for 2way deals

I am not sure. I thought I remember the clause being spoke of when he signed. But I could be wrong.

#9 Ring-a-ding-dong-dandy

Ring-a-ding-dong-dandy

A legend in my own mind

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:32 PM

I am not sure. I thought I remember the clause being spoke of when he signed. But I could be wrong.

maybe, I never heard anything one way or the other

#10 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:15 PM

So....what ended up happening?

Anybody know where he's playing this year?

To be totally honest, I thought he had a lot of potential and it wasn't managed very well.

I would be slightly surprised, but not shocked at all, if he ended up putting a good season together during the lockout and garning renewed interest next year.

#11 geos

geos

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:15 PM

The way I'd manage it? I'd have Karlsson as the full time backup without any starts, and call up Irving for the occasional start. Irving doesn't benefit from riding the pine for all but 12 games behind Kipper. He does benefit by getting those 12 NHL starts, plus a bunch in the AHL.

Buffalo did this with Enroth during his development.

Personally, I don't think Karlsson is much behind Irving in ability today (though Irving is very much so the future... at least until next year when Ramo displaces him). But the organization doesn't agree with me!

#12 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:36 PM

Ha ha...

Sometimes I almost feel like the organization doesn't agree with me on everything either, lol!

I like your strategy, but only because the Flames are addicted to Kipper. Ideally, they would bite the bullet and develop Iriving in the NHL, now. Give Kipper 50 games, give Irving 32. Something like that.

Then when you get in the playoffs, ride Kipper the whole way.

Is there are risk of missing the playoffs by doing this? Yes, but if you need Kipper that much just to get in, you weren't going to make it far in the playoffs anyway.

Had they done that with Karlsson, I think he would likely be a Very strong backup goaltender right now, and we probably would have traded him, or Irving, for some other talent, because there was a time that we had Too many goaltending prospects. We've literally let their best development years pass many of them by, however.

As for the future, I think it's a crapshoot. I still wouldn't rule Karlsson out, although he's certainly not the favourite.

The flavour of the month is Brossolt, and I think he might be our brightest hope right now. Iriving and Ortio also have good chances.

#13 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,556 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

Looks like due to the fact anyone who suited up for an AHL team in the 2011/12 Calder Cup playoffs is eligible (without clearing waivers) until the NHL labour dispute is resolved, Irving has signed a professional tryout agreement with the Heat that is expected to turn into an AHL deal should the lockout drag on and on...

http://www.calgaryhe...0507/story.html

#14 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

So.....where exactly is Henrik Karlsson these days?

#15 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

So.....where exactly is Henrik Karlsson these days?

He is somewhere in or around Calgary area. Peter over at the Fan 960 mentioned that a few weeks back.

#16 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

Update for Karri Ramo. He posted a 2-0 shutout against team Donbass (KHL).

I stumbled upon an Avangard Omsk game today (I haven't the slightest clue what the time difference is when they play) and was very pleased with what I saw. Ramo is looking very focused, very loose, and very flexible. Compared to the likes of our considered immediate backups Karlsson, and a very shaky Irving, he looks very solid.

Here is hoping for the cultivation of a future star goalie with the success of Kipprusoff.

Here is his updated stats for the season.
http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=78558

#17 flames_93

flames_93

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

Played a bit but very little experince

#18 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

Played a bit but very little experince

I would consider having played in the NHL as a backup, and 4 years as a full time KHL starter more than just "a bit" of experience.

#19 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

He is somewhere in or around Calgary area. Peter over at the Fan 960 mentioned that a few weeks back.

Thanks DirtyDeeds...

For the record, what I meant to say is that I wondered where he was playing right now, but if I ever need to stalk him, at least you've given me a starting point :)

Unfortunate that he's not playing this year. I suppose he doesn't meet the requirements of the NHL strike to go down to the AHL, otherwise the Flames would have found him a team?

Or is he still recovering from that last surgery?

ah well. IMHO, he's the best backup I've ever seen with Kipper.

Or at least, he was, until this:

#20 Canada15

Canada15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

I never minded Karlsson as a back up. He is alright. A lot of the stats on him are making him seem a lot worse than he really is.

Of our goaltending prospects (Brossoit, Ortio, Ramo, Irving, even Karlsson), who do you guys feel has the best chance of being CGY's starting goalie after Kipper? Hopefully Kipper extends and stays a bit longer. If not, who would replace him.

I personally like Ramo. Huge upside. KHL all star voted in by fans. Good stats as well. Definitely deserves a fair chance with the Flames.