Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TravisBruneau

New Arena In The Future?

90 posts in this topic

There have been lots of talks about different sporting complexes going up at Balzac, including an arena. Personally I would be shocked if the Flames didnt build a new arena out there. The C-Train is due to be extended out there in the next 4-5 years and with Stoney Tr and Deerfoot Tr you have great car access. Plus, being outside the city taxes become less of an issue. I think Balzac or the western end of the city are the only viable options for them to pick from. Downtown is to limited as to what they could do.

King has been pretty steady that all the plans for the new arena are for inner city and he has expressed no desire to go outside the city. I would be shocked to see it outside the city.

King has been pretty steady that all the plans for the new arena are for inner city and he has expressed no desire to go outside the city. I would be shocked to see it outside the city.

There have been lots of talks about different sporting complexes going up at Balzac, including an arena. Personally I would be shocked if the Flames didnt build a new arena out there. The C-Train is due to be extended out there in the next 4-5 years and with Stoney Tr and Deerfoot Tr you have great car access. Plus, being outside the city taxes become less of an issue. I think Balzac or the western end of the city are the only viable options for them to pick from. Downtown is to limited as to what they could do.

For me driving from Cranston to Balzac is not appealing at all, especially considering how winter driving could be. Whats even less appealing is taking a train across the city. A move out there could also kill the Hitmen. A football stadium out there might be a good idea and could work well, but the Flames/Hitmen/Roughnecks need to stay downtown.

Not a chance.

Inner city is far superior whenever possible.

Also, there is the Stampede factor, as well as the desire of the city to re-vitalize the core, including the east village and the west village.

The arena will be downtown. Ans there are several viable options.

I think a football stadium and hockey arena could be built into one dome configuration. Of course this has never been done before but engineers could make it happen. I see it like this, you have a football stadium that has seating that moves on a rail system from the one side to create a smaller arena atmosphere. The turf would be like Arizona's(move on rails) and underneath would be a sheet of ice. So you would have part of one sideline swivel on a track and enclose the end zone area where you would have 20,000 or so seating. CFL field is 59 metres wide, nhl rink is 200ft long, can easily fit by the time you add in the sidelines. Of course the sides would have to be adjusted on rail as well to make that nice cozy arena but I think it could be done. Then you would need some sort of system in place to create the corner seating for the arena configuration

Many people will scoff at this idea but hell anything can be done with a little imagination and some decent engineering. Plus you get a huge multi use building that services many pro sports. The cost would be maybe 2/3 of what it would cost to build a new stadium and new arena separately.(if that?)

Just wild imagination or what? Let the engineers discuss......lol

Not a chance.

Inner city is far superior whenever possible.

Also, there is the Stampede factor, as well as the desire of the city to re-vitalize the core, including the east village and the west village.

The arena will be downtown. Ans there are several viable options.

There is a very good chance. There is a reason that Crossiron was built where it was. Rockyview county is much more willing to give incentives for major projects like that then the city is.

For me driving from Cranston to Balzac is not appealing at all, especially considering how winter driving could be. Whats even less appealing is taking a train across the city. A move out there could also kill the Hitmen. A football stadium out there might be a good idea and could work well, but the Flames/Hitmen/Roughnecks need to stay downtown.

Agreed. They're part of the heart of the city, keep them playing there.

I think a football stadium and hockey arena could be built into one dome configuration. Of course this has never been done before but engineers could make it happen. I see it like this, you have a football stadium that has seating that moves on a rail system from the one side to create a smaller arena atmosphere. The turf would be like Arizona's(move on rails) and underneath would be a sheet of ice. So you would have part of one sideline swivel on a track and enclose the end zone area where you would have 20,000 or so seating. CFL field is 59 metres wide, nhl rink is 200ft long, can easily fit by the time you add in the sidelines. Of course the sides would have to be adjusted on rail as well to make that nice cozy arena but I think it could be done. Then you would need some sort of system in place to create the corner seating for the arena configuration

Many people will scoff at this idea but hell anything can be done with a little imagination and some decent engineering. Plus you get a huge multi use building that services many pro sports. The cost would be maybe 2/3 of what it would cost to build a new stadium and new arena separately.(if that?)

Just wild imagination or what? Let the engineers discuss......lol

You overestimate engineers to heck. I have friends that are; they don't play god. The logistics of having a dual hockey/football stadium just don't match up. The effort going into repeatedly moving the astroturf and exposing the rink surface underneath just to put on more ice for the game next day could be better used elsewhere. The money saved from just creating one arena would be nullified by the expertise and manpower required to make it happen on an almost daily basis.

A hockey rink and a football arena are fundamentally different. There's a reason why the NHL only does one or two outdoor games a year.

correct me if im wrong, but i believe if an arena is built outside the city taxes due decrease but also revenue and relief from the city also goes out the window since your not inside the city limits. If your looking for any funding you need to stay within your means of the city. If anything i think it will be built out by COP if its not inside the inner city.

correct me if im wrong, but i believe if an arena is built outside the city taxes due decrease but also revenue and relief from the city also goes out the window since your not inside the city limits. If your looking for any funding you need to stay within your means of the city. If anything i think it will be built out by COP if its not inside the inner city.

What revenue decreases? Youll still sell out concerts, youll still sell out sporting events. And youll have a bigger draw because of other events. There is possibly a horse track going in, as well as an airport and a race track. Crossiron will eventually be a huge mall/entertainment/sports venue. There is no downgrade in revenue.

I think if you put it in Crossiron mills you should see a decrease in revenue to some degree. Flames would see no impact, but I think you would feel it in avenues such as the Hitmen and some of the smaller concerts that don't even sell out currently. For example, from my house in the SW I would be a travel time of over 1 hr to go down to the C train and train it to that location. In the car i'm a litle less but then you always have the potential for an accident. If i'm a family wanting to go to a Hitmen game on a Wednesday night, personally i would rethink it knowing that i've got a 2 hr commute home on my hands. I would also rethink my plans to attend certain concerts agian knowing i'm close to an hour and a half of my time getting there, not to mention the business community downton know having to factor that into their work time. Flames and major concerts wouldn't feel a pinch at all of course people will go, but I thin other events would feel it.

I have no doubt Crossiron mills is going to be a location for an entertainment complex, but for a major arena i thin it's a terrible location for the city of Calgary and how we are currently set up. I'm not one that necessarily has to have a downtown location, but no question in my mind it has to be witin city limits.

What revenue decreases? Youll still sell out concerts, youll still sell out sporting events. And youll have a bigger draw because of other events. There is possibly a horse track going in, as well as an airport and a race track. Crossiron will eventually be a huge mall/entertainment/sports venue. There is no downgrade in revenue.

one word,,, weather

We sometimes get bad weather here in Canada in the winter. I have no problem getting downtown (or staying there after work). Much different issue to drive out to mallzac if there is a chance of snow tonight.

Oh no i didnt mean decrease in revenue due to decreased sales on tickets. Cause lets face it this city has the money now to support sellout on any events now. But my comment to revenue drop was directed towards if the arena was built out in balzac they would no longer be tied to the city (other than the name) but taxes etc would now be governed from the area of balzac and not the area of calgary.

Now this is pure speculation since i dont have much insight in terms of taxes etc. but I would have to think the Flames get some kind of compensation for having the franchise in the city being an attraction and the community events they do. Would that type of piggy backing be axed if they took the team outside the city limits even if it was for space? and then for funding wise for the new arena you could forget looking towards municipality funding since your not even inside the city.

again thats just speculation since i dont even know if the franchise gets any relief from the actual city.

Oh no i didnt mean decrease in revenue due to decreased sales on tickets. Cause lets face it this city has the money now to support sellout on any events now. But my comment to revenue drop was directed towards if the arena was built out in balzac they would no longer be tied to the city (other than the name) but taxes etc would now be governed from the area of balzac and not the area of calgary.

Now this is pure speculation since i dont have much insight in terms of taxes etc. but I would have to think the Flames get some kind of compensation for having the franchise in the city being an attraction and the community events they do. Would that type of piggy backing be axed if they took the team outside the city limits even if it was for space? and then for funding wise for the new arena you could forget looking towards municipality funding since your not even inside the city.

again thats just speculation since i don't even know if the franchise gets any relief from the actual city.

Taxes/costs are normally cheaper outside of major centers. Its the main draw of satellite cities. The tax rate would potentially be lower (or equal, i doubt the Flames pay much if any tax at all). Balzac would probably give the flames a better income tax rate because of the boon the local economy would see.

On the other hand (based on the Oiler's arena situation) the Flames can probably expect about $100 million from Calgary to build the rink. I doubt Balzac could match that.

I want to see a new arena built but the Saddledome is a unique part of Calgary. It's part of its history. I'd like to see it renevated but not torn down

I want to see a new arena built but the Saddledome is a unique part of Calgary. It's part of its history. I'd like to see it renevated but not torn down

I could care less, its no Forum, or Maple Leaf Gardens. I'm sure Philly fans had a love for the Spectrum and Peggers loved that old arena. If one ugly old building is a big part of the cities history, then I'd say we have a sad history.

I could care less, its no Forum, or Maple Leaf Gardens. I'm sure Philly fans had a love for the Spectrum and Peggers loved that old arena. If one ugly old building is a big part of the cities history, then I'd say we have a sad history.

Now that's just insensitive. It may not be the Forum, but the Saddledome has its own place in history. Those other arenas are still celebrated by their fans decades later, just like the Dome should be when it's eventually knocked down. Calgary, like it or not, is most recognized for its Western connotations, and an arena called "the Saddledome" is easily representative of what Calgarians value as their heritage.

There is no such thing as "sad history". Achievements should be celebrated. Mistakes should be learned from. Monuments should be remembered. The Saddledome has been as much a part of Calgary as the city itself ever since it was built in the 80s for the Olympics. I don't mean to sound like a hillbilly but "Don't put down the 'Dome, man!"

On the other hand (based on the Oiler's arena situation) the Flames can probably expect about $100 million from Calgary to build the rink. I doubt Balzac could match that.

Good luck with that.

I have no idea where you are getting this 1hr commute from. I can drive from my house in the north west to the 84 st and 22x in about 25min not in rush hour. I do that drive on a regular basis actually. Lately the city has not been giving concessions out to any major project and I highly doubt they will do it for the Flames either.

Good luck with that.

I have no idea where you are getting this 1hr commute from. I can drive from my house in the north west to the 84 st and 22x in about 25min not in rush hour. I do that drive on a regular basis actually. Lately the city has not been giving concessions out to any major project and I highly doubt they will do it for the Flames either.

I live in the SW in Woodbine and in non rush hour i'm a little over half an hour to the airport. Any type of accident or traffic and i'm easily over an hour. ON the train, i'm well over an hour to get to the NE so I basically not have to drive to games and pay for parking becuase transit would be a nightmare from the SW. Not to mention as C-Worthy mentioned throw in weather in the winter are your commute could be huge.

Now that's just insensitive. It may not be the Forum, but the Saddledome has its own place in history. Those other arenas are still celebrated by their fans decades later, just like the Dome should be when it's eventually knocked down. Calgary, like it or not, is most recognized for its Western connotations, and an arena called "the Saddledome" is easily representative of what Calgarians value as their heritage.

There is no such thing as "sad history". Achievements should be celebrated. Mistakes should be learned from. Monuments should be remembered. The Saddledome has been as much a part of Calgary as the city itself ever since it was built in the 80s for the Olympics. I don't mean to sound like a hillbilly but "Don't put down the 'Dome, man!"

It's not insensitive its just my own damn opinion. My own opinion of it is that it is not an attractive building on the outside and on the inside it was a building not built for the 20,000 it holds. If its not gonna be used why keep it up, its on Stampede grounds I'm sure they could do something great with that land there if the dome was down. Do I have any emotional attachment to the dome, sure, but the things been outdated for years so much so I find it nicer to watch games at home or in bars than to actually be there (and I love watching sports live). I would say my attachment is more to the team and logo than it is to the home, I'm not one who believes their team is above any criticism, if the players and staff suck that means they suck, not that it was all bad luck and bad officials. And I don't feel the need to treat their home as a temple, its not. A piece of history maybe, but a tiny piece. This is a great city man, I do think and there is way more to it than the Flames or the Saddledome. And considering the change in demographics in this city in the last 30 years I would suggest there are more people than you think that don't cherish Calgary's sports history.

Good luck with that.

Not everyone in the city lives in the north, Zirak.

I challenge you to find a fan base of any NA city that thinks having their arena outside of town is a good idea.

There is a huge movement throughout NA to revitalize downtowns and generate more 'urban' living as opposed to the sprawling suburbs of the past 60 years. As Winnipeg and many others have demonstrated, a downtown facility adds to urbanization, attracts restaurants etc, and increases pedestrain traffic which not only adds to safety, but it is green as well. Then ther is the drinking and driving issue (the more people that can make it to the game without having to drive the better).

Balzac will not happen. Period.

Many stadiums in the states have multiple solutions for multisports. Like the Dome once housed a huge Christian revival for Billy Graham....

Frank Clair stadium/Lansdown park in ottawa is a multi use football/hockey stadium. The civic center where the Ottawa 67's play is built under the north side football stands. I am sure any design the flames might use would be more modern as the civic center has an oddly shaped layout because of this.

with the huge flux in fans of sports in our city in the last decade, and how the flames owners have now monopolized any major team in the city. Do you think its not totally far fetched that they would want to build a sports mega centre somewhere. Maybe not all teams in one building but like the stampede ground they have the multiple venues within walking distance of each other. there must be a place other than the stampede grounds where they could do this and still technically be inner city.

with the huge flux in fans of sports in our city in the last decade, and how the flames owners have now monopolized any major team in the city. Do you think its not totally far fetched that they would want to build a sports mega centre somewhere. Maybe not all teams in one building but like the stampede ground they have the multiple venues within walking distance of each other. there must be a place other than the stampede grounds where they could do this and still technically be inner city.

It's not far fetched that they would want to have the facilities close together, personally I'd love that. Problem is where can you put 2 facilities with plenty of parking space and LRT access.