Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Hartley's New System

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 mrjohnnycanuck

mrjohnnycanuck

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:10 AM

Harttey wants to bring a up-tempo style and I think the Flames have become faster and more mobile on D. That being said...How do you think the Flames will play(style wise) next year?

Is this team built for an up-tempo style?

discuss...

#2 siliconscout

siliconscout

Champion of the Big Hit.

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

Personally I think Iggy and Kipper outta be able to knock a couple strokes off their game. Backs is young and probably cocky so I see him blowing a whole lot of double and triple bogies in the first half before he gets it under control and comes back with a nice 5 to 8 handicap by the end of the season.

And yeah, I am thinking that this will be the year that the Leafs explode and win dominate the charity circuit, I mean they have been practicing harder than any other team for the last decade, it's about time the balls started dropping for them.

Hartley just hasn't had enough time to become familiar with the courses in Western Canada to caddy well enough for the team so it's likely to be a learning experience for them all. Career years for Iggy and Kipper but on the whole I think the team will struggle to make the cut regularly.

#3 Bastardsonofmacinnis

Bastardsonofmacinnis

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:49 AM

Personally I think Iggy and Kipper outta be able to knock a couple strokes off their game. Backs is young and probably cocky so I see him blowing a whole lot of double and triple bogies in the first half before he gets it under control and comes back with a nice 5 to 8 handicap by the end of the season.

And yeah, I am thinking that this will be the year that the Leafs explode and win dominate the charity circuit, I mean they have been practicing harder than any other team for the last decade, it's about time the balls started dropping for them.

Hartley just hasn't had enough time to become familiar with the courses in Western Canada to caddy well enough for the team so it's likely to be a learning experience for them all. Career years for Iggy and Kipper but on the whole I think the team will struggle to make the cut regularly.

I see what you did there. But, just in case we do in fact have a season this year, I think we'll make the playoffs. I'm not saying we'll win the cup but I think we're a better team at both ends of the ice. That is if we can stay relatively healthy.

#4 Crzydrvr

Crzydrvr

Resident Draft Junkie

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

Is the team built for an up-tempo aggressive style? Yes. Whether they perform WELL at it is an entirely different matter. And if they don't, well, that's really unfortunate because we don't have the makeup of a tough team to play against...

#5 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,217 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

The flames have been built to play an up tempo system for a while. They don't lack team speed and didn't under Sutter either. Flames can skate but too often their system didn't allow them to do so

#6 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,080 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

The flames have been built to play an up tempo system for a while. They don't lack team speed and didn't under Sutter either. Flames can skate but too often their system didn't allow them to do so

Fully agree with this assessment Cross...

The system being used and the way the team had been built were incompatible...

Plus 1...

#7 WILLDABEAST

WILLDABEAST

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

Well i think this move is going to allow our guys to play to their strengths...
A grinding tough dump and chase defensive style just didnt match the guys we had... I think a faster paced possession style game will fit like a glove... Over the past 6 years or so we have transitioned from a team full of grinding guys to a highly skilled smaller yet speedy lineup and our coaching strategy didn't follow suit...
I think this move alone will have more positive influence on our play this year than any other we made in the offseason... We finally can allow guys to do what they do best...
And heck if we find a way to get a center who is average offensively but good on the dot we will certainly surprise some folks this year...
Things are looking up

#8 calgaryboy12

calgaryboy12

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:04 PM

If he can take control over Iginla, Kiprusoff, and JBo then we will succeed. Past coaches claim that the Flames were a difficult team to coach. Good news is that Hartley has experience with that in Colorado and Atlanta. He did a pretty good job with Kovy and Hossa in Atlanta and lead them to the playoffs. Other good news is that he is familiar with Tanguay and has that connection. If other players see Tanguay follow Hartley, then the other players would be persuaded to do the same.

The only worry I have is that he's going to PO the players with all those drills. If you play hockey, then you know that the suicide drills are annoying. (Goal line to blue line to goal line to red line to goal line to other blue line to goal line to other goal line back to goal line.) C'mon! It's even annoying to explain! :o

#9 mrjohnnycanuck

mrjohnnycanuck

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

bump.....

Can Heartley beat a team like the Oilers and Canucks?

#10 mrjohnnycanuck

mrjohnnycanuck

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:02 AM

Heartley"s system is so different than Sutters last year.... Can the Flames adjust?

Discuss.....

#11 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

I think the Flames can adjust just fine, I just don't know how much more it will advance us.
We can't just be fast, aggressive has to go with that. If we're going to cycle 3 low we have to play strong on the boards. And if we continue to be near or at the bottom of the league in FO%, we have to press the puck all over the ice.
Hopefully we won't be looking like we're gaining momentum only to lose important draws constantly.
If Hartley can simply end the games where we show zero on the ice, that would be a big step. We've had too many of those games in the past.
Keep the feet moving all game, every game, from everyone, and I'll be happy.
The too often indifferent play has burdened us for too long.

#12 siliconscout

siliconscout

Champion of the Big Hit.

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

It's the type of system Iggy has seemed to have wanted since the cup run so I would say yes.

The problem is Kipper, is he as good as we think he is when the D is weaker in front of him. If he's going to have an off year this year then it will appear to be a disaster.

J-Bo needs to break out and return to his Florida form as well though. We have bodies up front that can take that kind of system and play it on the back end we need 3 d-men who can. Wideman and Bean are going to run with it so all we really need is J-Bo back and it could be a lot of fun.

He's not so different than Playfair and you can't say that Playfair iced a boring team. They were awesome under him, at home. Hartley should have the experience to keep us from being out coached so badly on the road.

My worry is that it might be too late for Iggy though, his body isn't as young as it used to be so with a shortened season it could be excellent. Our traditional slow start will kill all of that however so no excuses are allowed.

#13 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,217 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

I personally think too much these days is being made about "systems". Hartley is not going to re invent the wheel here, his system is just going to be a variations of another system all of these guys have seen before. The only questions is how they mesh as a team and can the develop chemistry that they never did under Sutter, that's the only key for me for the Flames this year not the system they will use on ice. It'l be more entertaining for the fans and potentially give them the potential to win more but it's still all about getting together as a team and this team has not played as one, save for a few months under Sutter, really since Keenan.

#14 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

I personally think too much these days is being made about "systems". Hartley is not going to re invent the wheel here, his system is just going to be a variations of another system all of these guys have seen before. The only questions is how they mesh as a team and can the develop chemistry that they never did under Sutter, that's the only key for me for the Flames this year not the system they will use on ice. It'l be more entertaining for the fans and potentially give them the potential to win more but it's still all about getting together as a team and this team has not played as one, save for a few months under Sutter, really since Keenan.

I agree, but I do think (hope) that there will be one important difference under Hartley: with Sutter, they were passive and tentative - afraid to make a mistake. What I want to see under Hartley is more aggressive, and more excited to play the game.

After that, all the Xs and Os are details.

#15 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,217 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

I agree, but I do think (hope) that there will be one important difference under Hartley: with Sutter, they were passive and tentative - afraid to make a mistake. What I want to see under Hartley is more aggressive, and more excited to play the game.

After that, all the Xs and Os are details.

I agree as well and from the sounds of it thats exactly what you are going to see but hopefully it's not just talk.

I guess what I meant is more to the OP point of "will these guys fit in" or fit with Hartley's system and if they don't that says a lot more about that player than it does anything else because systems are systems they are not rocket science and the coaching position I think is about 80% motivation and 20% X and Os.

#16 ifiwaschucknorris

ifiwaschucknorris

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

The best games I remember from the last few years are the ones where the guys were loose and having fun. They made mistakes of course but they were energetic and swarmed the opposition and were fun to watch. They also won most of those games. Yes accountability needs to be there but mostly I just want to see the guys excited and having fun again. Because with this team that seems to equate with skating hard and success.

#17 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

All I want out of the system is something more entertaining to watch then Sutter's infuriating turtle strategy. I would rather lose 10-6 then have to watch another 2-1 OT grind fest with our players doing their best impression of red rover.

#18 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

Peter from the Fan 960 was talking about the system on Thurs or Fri. When he asked the coaches about the system he was told that it is a simple system that shouldn't be difficult for the team to pick up. <Insert easy to get used to and play>

With only a week or so to get ready I like the sound of that especially with all the new players incoming.

#19 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,217 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Peter from the Fan 960 was talking about the system on Thurs or Fri. When he asked the coaches about the system he was told that it is a simple system that shouldn't be difficult for the team to pick up. <Insert easy to get used to and play>

With only a week or so to get ready I like the sound of that especially with all the new players incoming.

ya, hockey isn't football with a massive playbook that has tweaks or variations of everything you've seen before, which is why I said people make too much of systems specifically the x and os around the system. The system should be very easy for the guys to pick up what Hartley, or any new coach, expects out of them and how he manages them is where the adjustment is.

#20 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

All I want out of the system is something more entertaining to watch then Sutter's infuriating turtle strategy. I would rather lose 10-6 then have to watch another 2-1 OT grind fest with our players doing their best impression of red rover.

Everyone is basically saying the same thing in this thread - just give us fun, entertaining, and energetic hockey.

But this was bolded because it hit the nail on the head.