SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Photo

2013 Draft(if Theres A Lockout)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#1 l695167002

l695167002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

can you guys explain to me how the draft order will go if theres a lockout? i didnt live in Canada during the last lockout so i didnt watch any hockey. Will last year's standing have an effect on the ranking this year?? If EDM gets a top pick again.......... :o

#2 Crzydrvr

Crzydrvr

Resident Draft Junkie

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

If it turns into a full-year lockout, and the NHL uses the same format as the Sidney Crosby Sweepstakes from 2005, it will probably look something like this:

-A ball lottery will be in place, with every team starting off with 3 balls
-Teams will have a ball taken away through two methods: 1. Is to have held a 1st overall pick in any of the last 4 NHL seasons prior to the draft. 2. Is to have made the playoffs in one of the previous 3 seasons prior to the draft.
-No team can have less than 1 ball or more than 3, and the 2 methods of losing a ball stack with each other; a team that has made the playoffs 2 times in the past 3 seasons will only have 1 ball, and a team that has had multiple 1st overall picks will have only 1 ball.

So the Oil could very well win the lotto again, but it'd require a hell of a lot of luck or some "favoritism", since they have 3 of the last 4 1st overall picks they would only receive one ball.

#3 gsp393

gsp393

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

Just so turns out its for the highest touted prospect since tavares. Could be interesting, would really upset our friends from the great white north if we won without having to endure an embarrassing season.

#4 Crzydrvr

Crzydrvr

Resident Draft Junkie

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

Just so turns out its for the highest touted prospect since tavares. Could be interesting, would really upset our friends from the great white north if we won without having to endure an embarrassing season.

Could this be the answer to our woes? We have a higher chance to win the lotto since we have 3 balls; it could satisfy both sides of the mediocrity vs. rebuild argument! Tank faction gets their "dip and get out", competitive faction gets a still competitive squad that now has a high pick on the roster.

Would definitely take the sting out of missing another NHL season....

#5 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,197 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

If it turns into a full-year lockout, and the NHL uses the same format as the Sidney Crosby Sweepstakes from 2005,

If memory serves me correctly, everything was done behind closed doors last time. Fans were withheld from viewing such an objective draw. Instead, GMs attended and after the smoke was clear, the league presented the draft order. It was extremely dodgey the way it was handled.

If they lockout again and run a lottery for the draft order, then i'd like the draw to be televised.

#6 ali-iggy

ali-iggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:26 PM

i bet CBJ or Pheonix will win the lotto

#7 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

can you guys explain to me how the draft order will go if theres a lockout? i didnt live in Canada during the last lockout so i didnt watch any hockey. Will last year's standing have an effect on the ranking this year?? If EDM gets a top pick again.......... :o

HIGHLY unlikely the season is completely lost.

#8 PokernHockey

PokernHockey

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:11 PM

If memory serves me correctly, everything was done behind closed doors last time. Fans were withheld from viewing such an objective draw. Instead, GMs attended and after the smoke was clear, the league presented the draft order. It was extremely dodgey the way it was handled.

If they lockout again and run a lottery for the draft order, then i'd like the draw to be televised.

I find it highly unlikely that if it was a "dodgey" draft where the results were fixed, seven years later, at least one fired GM would have mentioned how "if only it had been rigged for them."

Nice conspiracy however.

#9 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,197 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:08 PM

I find it highly unlikely that if it was a "dodgey" draft where the results were fixed, seven years later, at least one fired GM would have mentioned how "if only it had been rigged for them."

Nice conspiracy however.

If I'm not mistaken, it was a computer draft. They didn't pull numbers out of a box or anything fair like that.

#10 Crzydrvr

Crzydrvr

Resident Draft Junkie

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

If I'm not mistaken, it was a computer draft. They didn't pull numbers out of a box or anything fair like that.

Which is kind of weird, because the normal hassle for the Draft Lottery involves 1000 possible number combinations, a few numbered balls, and handing out various combinations and seeing whose numbers match. Seems a lot more complicated than shoving it onto a computer program.

#11 PokernHockey

PokernHockey

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

Because computers are automatically fixed, pulling it out of a box is automatically impossible to rig?

Again, nice conspiracy theory. In no way did your response address my point about how there has never been allegations. Sorry, your making them right now. There has never been allegations from a creditable source that the draft was fixed, rigged, etc.

Please provide a single source where a gm/owner/league insider has suggested that the pens were preordained to win the draft if your going to make that allegation.

#12 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

Please provide a single source where a gm/owner/league insider has suggested that the pens were preordained to win the draft if your going to make that allegation.

I heard it mentioned on sports radio. I do not remember who or when.

#13 gsp393

gsp393

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

Wow thats ridiculous. What were they the highest bidder? Or was bettman caught doing some ridiculous sexual activity by a member of the pens staff? Or they figured a second overall wasnt enough so they need the first overall the next year which just so happened to both be projected as unreal players? Ill assume your telling the truth and say that certain members of the media tend to lie. My favorite liar would have to be al michaels the nfl commentator, some of the garbage that comes out of his mouth is just so far from the truth its hilarious.

#14 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

Elder Statesman

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,935 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

Obviously a source that can be relied on. Was it a night when your Mommy had forgotten to pick up a fresh roll of tin foil? :lol:

I've seen quotes from former coaches about teams that were torn apart to land that 1/1 but rigging the lottery is so far only a conspiracy theory (but gave rise to some excellent jokes from various fan bases). Most fans take them as that, especially if the target is a team they don't like, but few believe them. I won't bother repeating them because the gullible will believe the bloggers that come up with these (even when the site is clearly marked as satirical).

I believe there will be a season rendering the point moot but if the worst case happens it would be the 5 cellar dwellers with the best chance to pick 1/1. Maybe with a 2nd try the BJs could win something. :)

#15 PokernHockey

PokernHockey

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

Is that the same source that you claimed a few months ago predicted that the Oilers could have Jaybo for a second round pick? A month or 2 before the wings offer came out?

You will understand when I am skeptical of your sources, especially when you "do not remember who or when."

#16 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:36 PM

Is that the same source that you claimed a few months ago predicted that the Oilers could have Jaybo for a second round pick? A month or 2 before the wings offer came out?

You will understand when I am skeptical of your sources, especially when you "do not remember who or when."

What I was talking about was less of a source but were discussing how somehow, the bankrupt Penguins who just had a 5th overall, 1st overall and 3rd overall picks magically end up with the 1st overall pick of Crosby which also caused Lemiux to come out of retirement for a quarter of a season.

Personally, I think the Penguins won it because it was rigged. No I don't have proof but I am entitled to my opinion.

Did I say that Bouwmeester WAS going to get traded to Edmonton or IF he gets traded to Edmonton it would be for a 2nd round pick?

#17 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,016 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

Personally, I think the Penguins won it because it was rigged. No I don't have proof but I am entitled to my opinion.

Posted Image

#18 travel_dude

travel_dude

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

What I was talking about was less of a source but were discussing how somehow, the bankrupt Penguins who just had a 5th overall, 1st overall and 3rd overall picks magically end up with the 1st overall pick of Crosby which also caused Lemiux to come out of retirement for a quarter of a season.

Did I say that Bouwmeester WAS going to get traded to Edmonton or IF he gets traded to Edmonton it would be for a 2nd round pick?

Ranks up there with the Oilers "magically" getting 1st overall 3 years in a row; lottery winners 2 out of 3 times and 3rd time not affected by lottery winner. Hmmmm. Cards with a team name being held up on TV. Hmmmm. What are the odds? :D

BTW, the poster referred to you saying JBow "could be had", not "would".

#19 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

Ranks up there with the Oilers "magically" getting 1st overall 3 years in a row; lottery winners 2 out of 3 times and 3rd time not affected by lottery winner. Hmmmm. Cards with a team name being held up on TV. Hmmmm. What are the odds? :D

BTW, the poster referred to you saying JBow "could be had", not "would".

It would not at all be in the NHL's best interests to have Edmonton, Calgary, Winnpeg, Ottawa and maybe even Vancouver to have a superstar player. If it was rigged, it would have been because Katz was the highest bidder.

There was a guy on the Hour a couple years ago that wrote a book saying over 95% of professional sports is fixed. Is it true? I don't know but I wouldn't be shocked if it was.

#20 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:35 PM

Dodgy indeed...I think that's the nice way of putting it.

If Calgary was just about bankrupt but an investor was offering to bail us out and pay the NHL a hefty sum of cash...well then yeah, I bet the odds would be in our favour. At least, that seems to be how the Crosby sweepstakes went...