44 replies to this topic

#1 Keyro

Keyro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

I was doing a little snooping around last years stats in the Q and I found Sven Andrighetto. Similar to our Sven he came over to the CHL from Switzerland. Last year was his draft year and I cannot figure out how he didn't get picked up. Last year he was third in scoring among rookies in the Q, only behind Mikhail Grigorenko and Nathan Mckinnon, two prospects who are considered "can't miss"

http://www.hockeydb.....php?pid=143315

He has very good stats considering that it was his first year in NA. In fact his stats are actually quite similar to our own Sven's when he first came to the Dub. One similarity that they don't share is that Andrighetto didn't come to the CHL on a powerhouse team like Sven. Rouyn-Noranda was the third worst team in the QMJHL this year, which probably has to do with his +/- being so low. They were the worst team in the western conference.

now when I look him up I'm having trouble finding a scouting report on him, So if anyone can offer any insight on his game I'd appreciate it. From my understanding if a player goes undrafted like Andrighetto any team is free to sign them or else they just enter the draft next year.

Would anyone be willing to risk a contract on this kid and add to our collection of Svens?

#2 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:47 PM

Before someone comes on here and bashes Sven (and someone Will come on here and bash Sven):

I agree with you. I agree with you to the point that it Angers me he wasn't taken
I'm not necessarily angered with to he Flames or any other NHL team, but just with the system in general.

From what I gather (and I'm not french, so I had o translate this):
http://www.universho...rancois-drouin/

It looks like one of the reasons was Claude Lemieux, who is his agent. Apparently Claude started making unreasonable demands to prospective NHL teams, so much so that...well, they all lost interest.

The other Big problem:
He's 5'9. He's listed as 5'10. He ain't. Can this push a player out of the first two rounds? Yeah, yeah it can. But to miss the entire draft? No. Height can't do that on its own. Not with his numbers.

Also: Zero defensive play, at least by the numbers. +/- of -23. I'm Very big on defensive play, but I Still don't care, because the kid's 18, and he was playing on the Worst team in the QMJHL. Which not only explains the +/-, but makes his numbers That much more impressive. He wasn't leaching off anyone...he was the best player on his team. By a lot.

I don't know what happened, or who is at fault. But with the amount of NHL teams looking for raw talent, it's a shame.

#3 ifiwaschucknorris

ifiwaschucknorris

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationToo close to Oil country and on the wrong side :(

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

It is a shame...unfortunately though politics plays a large part in who makes it and who doesnt. As to the defensive deficiencies. That can be learned. Look at Steve Yzerman. Not saying this kid is Stevie but he was also thought of as a strictly offensive guy when he came in and eventually became one of he best 2 way forwards ever.

#4 Keyro

Keyro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

His +/- can't be looked at too seriously. Yes there are most likely some defensive deficiencies, but look at the goaltenders save percentage. None of the goalies who played a game for rouyn- norada even had a save % of 900.

Solely based on offensive stats, I'd pick him up

#5 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,231 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

Scoring in the q and scoring in the dub are two VERY different things. The Q inflates alot of guys numbers and it's tough to read past that. They and his size are propably two very valid reasons why he was not drafted. He'd have to start putting together a few good seasons to generate interest IMO.

#6 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

Elder Statesman

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,109 posts
  • LocationFriendly Manitoba

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

Scoring in the q and scoring in the dub are two VERY different things. The Q inflates alot of guys numbers and it's tough to read past that. They and his size are propably two very valid reasons why he was not drafted. He'd have to start putting together a few good seasons to generate interest IMO.

Good #s in the Q on a weak team. Being the best player on a bad team does that. His #s were worse in the Swiss league.

He should be available in the draft again this year. Unless someone else goes for the long bomb 1st I'd gamble a 6/7th on him.

*Just because he has the 1st name Sven & is Swiss it doesn't mean he =s the Sven we have. That's as bad as those that figure teams need an all Finn, Swede, Czech line. Yet these geniuses never mention playing an all Canadian line. :)
The clones in Vancouver are the exception to the play 2 brothers argument. *

#7 Keyro

Keyro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:15 AM

Good #s in the Q on a weak team. Being the best player on a bad team does that. His #s were worse in the Swiss league.

He should be available in the draft again this year. Unless someone else goes for the long bomb 1st I'd gamble a 6/7th on him.

*Just because he has the 1st name Sven & is Swiss it doesn't mean he =s the Sven we have. That's as bad as those that figure teams need an all Finn, Swede, Czech line. Yet these geniuses never mention playing an all Canadian line. :)
The clones in Vancouver are the exception to the play 2 brothers argument. *

You can't honestly think I'm comparing him to bear because they share a first name right?
The similarities they share are that they both played in the Swiss league at the same age, came over to NA ice at the same age and both put up points in their first season in the CHL. Now granted my knowledge of the Q is limited at best, but you can understand where I'm coming from here.

Now he's listed at 5'10, JJ says probably closer to 5'9 and 188 lbs. When Bear was drafted I believe he was 5'10 and 180lbs. Pretty similar IMO.
I don't understand all the hate. Why not a single team would take a chance with a later round pick. To me he would be a perfect diamond in the rough pick the flames have started to look at more nowadays.

There must be something I'm not seeing here.

P.S- at the same age in the Swiss league Andrighetto doubled the points bear got in less games. Just something to chew on

#8 lordxan

lordxan

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

You can't honestly think I'm comparing him to bear because they share a first name right?
The similarities they share are that they both played in the Swiss league at the same age, came over to NA ice at the same age and both put up points in their first season in the CHL. Now granted my knowledge of the Q is limited at best, but you can understand where I'm coming from here.

Now he's listed at 5'10, JJ says probably closer to 5'9 and 188 lbs. When Bear was drafted I believe he was 5'10 and 180lbs. Pretty similar IMO.
I don't understand all the hate. Why not a single team would take a chance with a later round pick. To me he would be a perfect diamond in the rough pick the flames have started to look at more nowadays.

P.S- at the same age in the Swiss league Andrighetto doubled the points bear got in less games. Just something to chew on

I think the issue is agent related why he was not drafted, no one wants to get into a Lindros situation and I get the feeling his agent (C. Limeaux (SP)) is the biggest issue.

As for the player, I do think if we could grab him without issues from his agent he would be worth a try. watching his play he is a standout presence on the ice.

#9 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

Elder Statesman

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,109 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

There's no hate. I really didn't have much knowledge of the guy but looked up what I could on the net.
Last year NHL.com had him listed @ #24 in their list of skaters from the Q. Given that there are 2 other Canadian junior leagues, college leagues & Euro leagues that alone could conspired to make him a late round pick @ best.
The Q is known as a gunner league (lots of points) while 2 way play is appreciated by many teams. It can be taught but unless scouts see something special in a teenager they might as well go for someone that is already grounded in that with a late selection (teams do tend to put more time/training into higher picks rather then those they see as long odds prospects).
xan mentions the agent & that's a possibility. Others are scouts not being impressed by his attitude (teams usually only take a chance on elite talents if they seem to have bad attitudes). Scouts don't just watch the on ice performance but rather talk to billets & other locals to get a read on the type of person he is.

So there are many possible reasons he wasn't selected. If the Flames (or any other team) scouts see him as worth a gamble he'll likely be selected this year. If he builds on last year he could go in the 1st few rounds.

Lots of kids who look good on ice aren't selected. I've heard a fair bit about Tanner Pearson of the Barrie Colts. 91 points in 60 games last year. He was undrafted but LA gave him an EL over the summer.

BTW, the bit about the same 1st name & the fact he's Swiss is just a :lol: @ those that assume a common nationality guarantees chemistry (strangely that's only mentioned for Euro born players). I expanded on it. It wasn't a dig @ you. That's why I used the :) .

#10 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,231 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

I agree and thats what I was trying to say. I bet alot of NHL teams looked at him as said: in the Q, bad team, probably inflated numbers for those two reasons, size questions, we'll pass but let's see what he does next year. If he takes a step forward he'll likely be a later round pick but at this point I think there aer several reasons why he was not worth a draft pick.

Something to remember, while most people will look at someone on a bad team and assume they would be better the NHL doesn't. Tehre are just as many examples of players that actually look BETTER because of the team they play on. Not saying that is true of this player but it's something scouts take under consideration.

#11 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

I dunno,

Some really good points about number inflation from being on a bad team, but this is true of a lot of the QMJHL stars (because they get drafted first by the QMJHL).

There has got to be something going on off the ice, whether it's a bad agent or some other issue.

Quick comparison to some of the QMJHL draftees:

GP G A Pts
62 36 38 74 Sven Andrighetto (5'9+) 188lbs ROOKIE YEAR
59 40 45 85 Mikhail Grigorenko (6'2) 191 lbs ROOKIE YEAR
56 21 23 44 Raphael Bussieres (6'1) 195 lbs Very little improvement from last year
34 16 13 29 Martin Frk (6'0) 198lbs 2nd Year
68 34 47 81 Alexandre Mallet (6'1) 194 lbs Fourth Year - Over-Age. Draft year was 2011.
50 20 44 64 Tomas Hyka (5'10) 158 lbs ROOKIE YEAR
63 31 17 48 Cedrick Paquette (6'1) 206 lbs ROOKIE YEAR
59 25 41 66 Charles Hudon (5'10) 171lbs - 2nd year (almost zero improvement from his first year)
67 23 11 34 Francis Beauvillier (6'1) 176lbs

Bottom line: It JUST doesn't make sense. Mikhail, we all know. Very little difference other than height.

Raphael, Martin, and Alexandre all went in the second round. Despite being 2-3 inches shorter, Sven's perforance was Significantly better than all three.

The rest were later-round picks, and Sven was vastly superior to all of them except maybe Tomas Hyka (6th round).

Tomas is even smaller than Sven.

While I can see why Sven didn't get picked in the 2nd round, I disagree with it. I disagree that lesser players have that much better odds than a player who is 5'9. 5'6, maybe. But 5'9 stars occur Regularly in the NHL, and he'll probably end up at 5'10 anyway. Why teams would pick lesser talents, when they're trying to find NHL stars, is beyond me.

But what Boils me is the players who got in in the later rounds. Including one that is smaller than him. On a team that is just as bad (Gatineau Olympiques). In the 6th round. And there's no interest, not even in the 7th? What?

I have to assume there is more to the story.

Based on how things are starting off for him this year he is on pace to blow everyone away in the QMJHL, and I would not be shocked if he does.
http://theqmjhl.ca/roster/show/id/8709

I'm sure there is more to the story that we don't know. But what I will say..is that I'm glad the Flames finally picked someone out of the QMJHL leaugue this year. WHL-only picks was a Really scary strategy.

I know there's the arguement that the scouts see more, they know more, and we layman fans just don't get it.

But when you look at who ends up becoming NHL stars...EVERY single time, they put up huge numbers in junior. Huge. Especially late-round diamonds in the rough. It's never random. It's never Just a fluke. You look at their numbers, and sure they got picked late, but they blew everyone away in junior.

Yet no interest here...strange.

#12 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

His #s were worse in the Swiss league.

While I agree with pretty much everything you've said in here, especially about the possibility of attitude problems etc...

I have a different take on his #s being worse in the Swiss. This is exactly the kind of thing I would look for in a prospect.

What do.... Macaulay Culkin and Alexandre Daigle have in common?

Answer: Both put up great numbers in the Swiss League.

I mean....both plateaued. For that matter, MOST junior hockey players plateau. They reach their limits.

I think you need to Really look for year-to-year improvements. The bigger the better. Any Sign of a slow-down in improvement is a sign that the player may be reaching the limits of their skillset.

That's why it boggles me that a player like Charles Hudon was drafted over Sven. On paper, at least, it looks like Charles has reached his limits. Like Most do. Sven, on the other hand, is showing no signs of that. And his performance so far this year suggests he may have just made another leap.

#13 PokernHockey

PokernHockey

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:53 AM

There has got to be something going on off the ice, whether it's a bad agent or some other issue.

Bottom line: It JUST doesn't make sense. Mikhail, we all know. Very little difference other than height.

Raphael, Martin, and Alexandre all went in the second round. Despite being 2-3 inches shorter, Sven's perforance was Significantly better than all three.

The rest were later-round picks, and Sven was vastly superior to all of them except maybe Tomas Hyka (6th round).

Tomas is even smaller than Sven.

While I can see why Sven didn't get picked in the 2nd round, I disagree with it. I disagree that lesser players have that much better odds than a player who is 5'9. 5'6, maybe. But 5'9 stars occur Regularly in the NHL, and he'll probably end up at 5'10 anyway. Why teams would pick lesser talents, when they're trying to find NHL stars, is beyond me.

But what Boils me is the players who got in in the later rounds. Including one that is smaller than him. On a team that is just as bad (Gatineau Olympiques). In the 6th round. And there's no interest, not even in the 7th? What?

I probably deleted some pertenent quotes in the interest in reducing how much I was quoting...

But how many players do max out in the Jr. Ranks.

Points do NOT tell the entire story.

Perhaps there is something else in his game that makes scouts thing that he has plateaued.

On the one hand... the best player on a bad team suggest he has "risen above his peers." on the other, maybe it is a case of ice time = points?

#14 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

I probably deleted some pertenent quotes in the interest in reducing how much I was quoting...

But how many players do max out in the Jr. Ranks.

Points do NOT tell the entire story.

Perhaps there is something else in his game that makes scouts thing that he has plateaued.

On the one hand... the best player on a bad team suggest he has "risen above his peers." on the other, maybe it is a case of ice time = points?

Points definitely don't tell the entire story. But in junior, as a forward...point are almost a pre-requisite to becoming an NHL star. Teams who draft forwards who can't put up numbers...I don't get it. And every time, you get the story of how there's all these other dimensions. And every time, that draft pick Never becomes an NHL star. Because if you can't manage being a star in junior, well...

I agree, there may be something else in his game, or perhaps off the ice. But it's shocking that Nobody picked him up, not even in the 7th round, as a gamble.

You asked a good question though...about plateauing in junior. I didn't really mean that most players "peak" in junior, although I think that is likely the case. What I meant is that most players' development slows down near the end of junior. To transcend to the NHL, their development needs to continue at a high rate into their early 20's.

Anecdotally, we all know someone, or many people, who played junior. You may be one yourself. Ask them when they were at their best, they'll usually tell you it was their last year of junior. No hard and fast rule here, I would never try to rank draft placements by points, or year-over-year improvements, or anything.

But, in the case of someone who clearly excels in both: LOTS of point, and HUGE improvement...there has to be a really compelling reason not to draft them, at Least in later rounds. What that reason is, I don't know.

Alexandre Daigle:
91/92: 1.7 points per game.
92/93: 2.6 points per game.

#15 Crzydrvr

Crzydrvr

Resident Draft Junkie

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationBottom of the barrel

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:38 PM

GP G A Pts
62 36 38 74 Sven Andrighetto (5'9+) 188lbs ROOKIE YEAR
59 40 45 85 Mikhail Grigorenko (6'2) 191 lbs ROOKIE YEAR
56 21 23 44 Raphael Bussieres (6'1) 195 lbs Very little improvement from last year
34 16 13 29 Martin Frk (6'0) 198lbs 2nd Year
68 34 47 81 Alexandre Mallet (6'1) 194 lbs Fourth Year - Over-Age. Draft year was 2011.
50 20 44 64 Tomas Hyka (5'10) 158 lbs ROOKIE YEAR
63 31 17 48 Cedrick Paquette (6'1) 206 lbs ROOKIE YEAR
59 25 41 66 Charles Hudon (5'10) 171lbs - 2nd year (almost zero improvement from his first year)
67 23 11 34 Francis Beauvillier (6'1) 176lbs

Bottom line: It JUST doesn't make sense. Mikhail, we all know. Very little difference other than height. Not to mention production. 11 more points in 3 less games, size, etc.

Raphael, Martin, and Alexandre all went in the second round. Despite being 2-3 inches shorter, Sven's perforance was Significantly better than all three. Bussieres was playing his first full season in the Q and did relatively well on both ends of the rink for a very bad team. Mallett was a 20 year old veteran. Martin Frk plays for Halifax, is bigger, and overall projects to have a better chance of a pro career than Sven. Did he sh*t the bed, yes, actually. But drafting isn't based on just performance, projectability plays into it a lot as well.

The rest were later-round picks, and Sven was vastly superior to all of them except maybe Tomas Hyka (6th round). I'd argue Hudon was better than Sven, both played for weak teams, both were the centerpieces of their offenses. Hudon actually started off a lot better and was having a very good season until Chicoutimi acquired a couple veterans up front. Less minutes for him meant less offensive production, not to mention he never really found chemistry with the players acquired.

Tomas is even smaller than Sven. You even listed Hyka as 5'10", so maybe not much if that?

While I can see why Sven didn't get picked in the 2nd round, I disagree with it. I disagree that lesser players have that much better odds than a player who is 5'9. 5'6, maybe. But 5'9 stars occur Regularly in the NHL, and he'll probably end up at 5'10 anyway. Why teams would pick lesser talents, when they're trying to find NHL stars, is beyond me. If by regularly you mean about 10, then yes. Guys like St. Louis and Ennis are the exception, not the norm. There's always going to be a bias going against smaller guys, but there's good reason for that. When you have monsters at 6'4" and 6'5" going up against a guy 8 inches shorter, the big guy will have a major advantage. When everyone in the NHL skates like a beast, that little agility and speed difference that most shorter guys have going for them in junior won't work in the NHL.

Based on how things are starting off for him this year he is on pace to blow everyone away in the QMJHL, and I would not be shocked if he does.
http://theqmjhl.ca/roster/show/id/8709

I'm sure there is more to the story that we don't know. But what I will say..is that I'm glad the Flames finally picked someone out of the QMJHL leaugue this year. WHL-only picks was a Really scary strategy.

I know there's the arguement that the scouts see more, they know more, and we layman fans just don't get it.

But when you look at who ends up becoming NHL stars...EVERY single time, they put up huge numbers in junior. Huge. Especially late-round diamonds in the rough. It's never random. It's never Just a fluke. You look at their numbers, and sure they got picked late, but they blew everyone away in junior.

Yet no interest here...strange.

I get that he put up good numbers on a bad squad, but numbers really aren't the whole story. He just did not do the kinds of things needed to post a win. 1.5 dimensional players with agents who run their mouths are not looked at in a positive light. It'd be one thing if he stood out as a guy on a bad squad, but it was more like he blended in if anything. A part of a pack that didn't do much, rather than the last man standing.

Personally, I saw a European pro player. He'll definitely be one of his country's best players. Just not in the NHL.

#16 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:17 PM

I get that he put up good numbers on a bad squad, but numbers really aren't the whole story. He just did not do the kinds of things needed to post a win.

Well...he was also on one of the youngest QMJHL teams.

He's currently on the leaderboard this year, 2 goals and 4 points in 2 games, one point back of Nathan Mackinnon and Grigorenko.
http://theqmjhl.ca/stats/show/type/top_scorers/ls_season/171

His team is .500 so far, and he scored the game-winning goal yesterday. Did his game-winning goal not have enough dimensions to it for you? :)

p.s...agents and attitude, that's another matter.

#17 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

Elder Statesman

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,109 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

Well...he was also on one of the youngest QMJHL teams.

He's currently on the leaderboard this year, 2 goals and 4 points in 2 games, one point back of Nathan Mackinnon and Grigorenko.
http://theqmjhl.ca/stats/show/type/top_scorers/ls_season/171

His team is .500 so far, and he scored the game-winning goal yesterday. Did his game-winning goal not have enough dimensions to it for you? :)

p.s...agents and attitude, that's another matter.

The NHL released their preliminary rankings a few days ago. They are broken down by league & into A, B & C probables.
Of all the Q players Andrighett didn't make the list.

If he's there late he might be worth the gamble but doesn't look like the superstar in disguise you seem to be building him up as.

I've been wrong before (seldom :) ) but he doesn't seem to be all that you are touting.

#18 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

The NHL released their preliminary rankings a few days ago. They are broken down by league & into A, B & C probables.
Of all the Q players Andrighett didn't make the list.

If he's there late he might be worth the gamble but doesn't look like the superstar in disguise you seem to be building him up as.

I've been wrong before (seldom :) ) but he doesn't seem to be all that you are touting.

Meh, I'm sure you're right. I have no idea really, I've never seen him play. Just doesn't make sense with those numbers.

Last year's list: Don't see Jankowski anywhere:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=75380

#19 another_one_bites_the_dust

another_one_bites_the_dust

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

Last year's list: Don't see Jankowski anywhere:
http://www.nhl.com/i...ge.htm?id=75380

Maybe due to the fact Jankowski didn't play in any of those leagues? Posted Image

#20 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:51 PM

Maybe due to the fact Jankowski didn't play in any of those leagues? Posted Image

Cute :)

At the bottom of the page, it lists some random leagues, based on players of noteworthy interest. Jankowski isn't in there.

Whatevs funny guy...you get my point :)

p.s...interesting to note that Coda Gordon was ranked 8th overall in the WHL on that list. Still impressed that we managed to get him in the 6th round.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users