s4xon

Johnny 'Hockey' Gaudreau

16 members have voted

This poll is closed for new votes
  1. 1. How many points will Johnny Hockey score in his sophomore season?

• 40-50
    • 50-60
    • 60-70
    • 70-80
    • 80-90
    • 90-100
    • 100+

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2,430 posts in this topic

My biggest concern is not about Johnny Hockey's size or his ability to transition to the NHL; it's all about how his development is managed.  The Flames missed the boat on Sven, and are seeing the results of that.  Monahan played his way onto the roster for the year, and had reasonable success.  Johnny Hockey has the opportunity to do the same, but we will still be having the same discussion about should he or shouldn't he be there.

My hope for the season - Sven plays his way onto the roster this year.  Johnny Hockey plays his way onto the roster for at least 9 games.  Poirier plays his way onto the roster for at least 9 games. 

Expectations?  Well I don't have any other than they all play within the Flames systems and show promise for the future. 

There isn't a 9 game limit for Gaudreau (or Poirier) next season.  They can play any number of games and transfer between the NHL and AHL freely.  But I agree with you. Don't rush our prospects.  

There is a difference in age to consider. College players usually come out of college at an older age and tend to be more physically developed, than junior players who may still be developing.

There isn't a 9 game limit for Gaudreau (or Poirier) next season.  They can play any number of games and transfer between the NHL and AHL freely.  But I agree with you. Don't rush our prospects.  

Right about Johnny.  With Poirier I thought the contract slide would take effect if he didn't play more than 9 games.  Don't profess to know a lot about it; might have been confusing it with how many games that a junior player can play until he gets sent back or burns a year. 

I personally hope Johnny comes out flying.  Less about playing a full year starting off and more about silencing some of his detractors.

Right about Johnny.  With Poirier I thought the contract slide would take effect if he didn't play more than 9 games.  Don't profess to know a lot about it; might have been confusing it with how many games that a junior player can play until he gets sent back or burns a year. 

I personally hope Johnny comes out flying.  Less about playing a full year starting off and more about silencing some of his detractors.

Poirier is old enough to make the AHL next season.  Assuming he makes it his contract will start and he can move between leagues freely (in the bounds of the normal transfer restrictions.)

Poirier is old enough to make the AHL next season.  Assuming he makes it his contract will start and he can move between leagues freely (in the bounds of the normal transfer restrictions.)

With that ironed out, I would like to see the following. 

Sven - comes into camp and plays the way he should.  He has the skill, so I am hoping he plays the team game according to the coach's expectations.  Hope he plays on a line that suits his skillset. 

Johnny Hockey - eat some food, man.  Develop training regimen the way players like Cammi has.  Makes the team based on his ability to play at the NHL level.  Has a season begining good enough to warrant a roster spot; let the discussions about should he be there happen afterwards.

Poirier - A player I am really excited about.  Could be ready to explode down the wing (RW, I hope).  PLay his way onto the wing at some point during the season.

Of the 3 mentioned Baer has the shortest leash right now....The other 3 when presented the oppurtunity with flourish, pushing Baer further down......Now with a rib injury, which takes for ever to heal, training and conditioning only push him back further. I can see him being moved soon or possibly being a bust .

With that ironed out, I would like to see the following. 

Sven - comes into camp and plays the way he should.  He has the skill, so I am hoping he plays the team game according to the coach's expectations.  Hope he plays on a line that suits his skillset. 

Johnny Hockey - eat some food, man.  Develop training regimen the way players like Cammi has.  Makes the team based on his ability to play at the NHL level.  Has a season begining good enough to warrant a roster spot; let the discussions about should he be there happen afterwards.

Poirier - A player I am really excited about.  Could be ready to explode down the wing (RW, I hope).  PLay his way onto the wing at some point during the season.

Of the 3 mentioned Baer has the shortest leash right now....The other 3 when presented the oppurtunity with flourish, pushing Baer further down......Now with a rib injury, which takes for ever to heal, training and conditioning only push him back further. I can see him being moved soon or possibly being a bust .

Baertschi did everything he was supposed to do; work on his 200 ft game, become more defensively minded, develop in the AHL.  Moving his, especially in the next few months, would send a message to all our smaller prospects - development means you have very little time to be a star or else.

I am not saying he is untradeable.  If the right trade offer came up that overvalued him, then it would happen.  Otherwise it makes no sense to trade him at his present value.  He is a 21 year old prospect with 51 NHL games and 70-ish HL games under his belt.

Play him with a skill player and he will show some decent results.  Playing him with a pass-first winger and a rookie centre may not have been the best idea, since the C needed more attention.

Baertschi did everything he was supposed to do; work on his 200 ft game, become more defensively minded, develop in the AHL.  Moving his, especially in the next few months, would send a message to all our smaller prospects - development means you have very little time to be a star or else.

I am not saying he is untradeable.  If the right trade offer came up that overvalued him, then it would happen.  Otherwise it makes no sense to trade him at his present value.  He is a 21 year old prospect with 51 NHL games and 70-ish HL games under his belt.

Play him with a skill player and he will show some decent results.  Playing him with a pass-first winger and a rookie centre may not have been the best idea, since the C needed more attention.

Brian Burke is a smart guy.  He knows that if you want to trade an asset you sell him publicly, get him in sheltered circumstances on your NHL team, and generally put him in a position to inflate his  value.  You don't scratch him, demote him, and berate him publicly.  

I agree that Baertschi can be traded for the right offer.  But I doubt Burke is actively trying to move him.  He is trying to develop the kid.  We saw him do the same thing with Kadri.  I think Gaudreau is more likely to be traded due to his really high value.  (Though I don't think either get traded).   

Brian Burke is a smart guy.  He knows that if you want to trade an asset you sell him publicly, get him in sheltered circumstances on your NHL team, and generally put him in a position to inflate his  value.  You don't scratch him, demote him, and berate him publicly.  

I agree that Baertschi can be traded for the right offer.  But I doubt Burke is actively trying to move him.  He is trying to develop the kid.  We saw him do the same thing with Kadri.  I think Gaudreau is more likely to be traded due to his really high value.  (Though I don't think either get traded).   

Exactly.

As for trading Gaudreau, it would mean pitchforks and torches descending on the Burke castle from the Flames faithful. 

Exactly.

As for trading Gaudreau, it would mean pitchforks and torches descending on the Burke castle from the Flames faithful. 

Calgary is in a position where they need to sell hope to the fans if they want to keep the Dome full and the merchandise moving.  Plus, you hate moving a player like Gaudreau because you are afraid if he reaches his potential that will be a black strike for the rest of your career.  

That said, Gaudreau still has to prove he can play in the NHL at a high level.  His size puts that into question.  His value may be higher now than it ever will be.  If NJ is willing to trade a guy like Larsson (for example) I could see the Flames making that deal. 

So far he's got 1 Goal and 3 Primary assists in 4 games, 1.00 ppg atm, hopefully USA can go further than the prelim's.  Anyone watching the games? I know he's been robbed a few times in the past games.

And in regards to trading him, in no way is he untradeable but would really like to see what he's capable of for us, maybe we lose out on prime assets but in this case I guess I'm willing to take the risk.  This is why I can't go to Vegas :(

I'm likely his biggest detractor. My biggest reason is because he's a CHL over-ager.

He hasn't lived through CHL dmen, Look at CHL dmen, they are on the draft boards, rarely college kids that wind up as 5-6 dmen if they make it at all.

He's played against "men", I get it. But I'm seriously doubting his trajectory is above CHL guys of the same age. Their competition has been way harder.

A basic comparison is Monahan (younger I know). But his jr life was filled with Dougie Hamilton's and Olli Maatta's.

I'm not seeing this robust list of college dmen referenced as future top 2s, 4s at worst.

So I am totally not sold on Gaudreau, due to level of competition.

If he's full of hype and enthusiasm from team's, I'd certainly listen to them.

Bottom 6 RW NHLer and a 2nd? I'd bite. Sell high...

I'm likely his biggest detractor. My biggest reason is because he's a CHL over-ager.

He hasn't lived through CHL dmen, Look at CHL dmen, they are on the draft boards, rarely college kids that wind up as 5-6 dmen if they make it at all.

He's played against "men", I get it. But I'm seriously doubting his trajectory is above CHL guys of the same age. Their competition has been way harder.

A basic comparison is Monahan (younger I know). But his jr life was filled with Dougie Hamilton's and Olli Maatta's.

I'm not seeing this robust list of college dmen referenced as future top 2s, 4s at worst.

Sell high???  A bottom 6 and a 2nd is selling high?  Jay, is that you? :D

We have enough bottom 6 talent at this point.  We need top-end talent.  As far as prospects go. he has a decent chance of being a top 6 LW.  He is prime age for taking the next step.  A 2nd is a 1/10 chance or so of making the NHL, and we would need to wait years before they could make the team.

If you want to sell high, think low 1st rounder and a prospect.

You lost me on this one. You can debate all day about whether the CHL (more high end kids) is a higher game than the NCAA (older bigger players). But to suggest that he is successful because the D is much weaker is way off IMO. Especially since he's had a high level of success at the WJC, WC, Flames camps, etc.

I can't wait for the draft/training camp its going to be awesome to see people battle for a spot.

Calgary Flames prospect Johnny Gaudreau recorded a pair of assists -- including one on Seth Jones’ overtime winner -- to help lift the United States to a 4-3 victory over Kazakhstan at the 2014 IIHF World Championship on Friday.

Gaudreau now has one goal and six points in five games, tying him for ninth overall in tournament scoring.

From the games I've seen of the IIHF worlds so far, he's been thrilling to watch as usual. Seems like every shift he makes defenders look like pylons or draws a penalty when he blows past them and they reach in with the stick to haul him down. When I'd think he had nowhere to go he'd find a way to get through or set someone else up.

Sell high???  A bottom 6 and a 2nd is selling high?  Jay, is that you? :D

We have enough bottom 6 talent at this point.  We need top-end talent.  As far as prospects go. he has a decent chance of being a top 6 LW.  He is prime age for taking the next step.  A 2nd is a 1/10 chance or so of making the NHL, and we would need to wait years before they could make the team.

If you want to sell high, think low 1st rounder and a prospect.

You lost me on this one. You can debate all day about whether the CHL (more high end kids) is a higher game than the NCAA (older bigger players). But to suggest that he is successful because the D is much weaker is way off IMO. Especially since he's had a high level of success at the WJC, WC, Flames camps, etc.

I'm doing my darnedest to lower expectations.

He's small. I keep hearing, "he plays big". But the fact remains, he isn't.

I think he has a window of opportunity to succeed in the short-term, but he's going to get figured out.

He won't be going to ANY tough areas as I see him now.

Watching some of the epic CHL battles, he'd be lucky to last a shift.

Watching stuff like Galchenyuk v Maatta and Ceci and Getzlaf v Seabrook and Phaneuf back in the day, I just don't see Gaudreau succeeding longterm, lest he turns into a St Louis, who has kind of had a mega-scorer on his line to draw the attention off of himself.

These jr battles are flipping epic. In the NHL, it's part of the normal routine. Game in, game out.

Wish I could pair Gaudreau's natural talent with Wolf's size. That would excite me!

As it is, I feel like injury will become a problem.

You guys are citing single game vs opponents tournaments, I'm citing a soft college league.

The AHL is a massive difference, let alone the NHL.

I believe he's a bigger project than many seem to be anticipating.

Reinhart and Granlund are our top forward prospects, imho.

No, I didn't forget Baertschi, we tend to hype everything through the roof, imho.

It's funny that is what was said about st louis we traded him big mistake same was said about fluery as well. I think keeping a 4th round pick that will produce I bet around 30 goals and possibly 50-60 points a season is worth the risk.IMHO.

Star in the making, this kid is Kane 2.0 but with out the selfish attitude and unneeded publicly... His hands are magic, his skating is elite and he understands how to use his size as an advantage. I have been going to WHL games my whole life and watched allot of kids his size that are prolific scores in Jr but didn't have that it factor and like I've said before, Johnny hockey has it in spades.

You can quote me in saying, he is going to be our first lime LW for years to come.

A goal and 3 helpers today, kid is an offensive dynamo! So glad we got him signed, Cant wait for the new season!!

Here're the gifs of Johnny's 4-point game (If it'll cooperate and let me post!) I just can't stop watching these! :wub:
1st Assist Wizardry:
853700807.gif?1400582243

2nd Assist Laser Pass:

853704722.gif?1400584215

Goal!!!:

853707712.gif

3rd Assist Sniped:

853710885.gif

I'm just impressed at how much creativity he has and his passing is spectacular!

That first video of the assist from behind the net is just.......well...........wow

Like I said 50-60 points a year my be even better I was thinking perhaps a Theo or St Louis but was looking at a player we had during the cup run and what about this guy Joe Mullen he might be a little bigger you will never guess where he Played Boston College  I wouldn't sneeze at his point production. JG might not be as mean as Theo but would put him in the Mullen type player maybe even win a Lady Bing who knows all just conjecture but we can dream

I watched this game live early this morning, and I went to bed satisfied.  This kid is going to be a star.

He's already making waves in the NHL fan world.

Like I said 50-60 points a year my be even better I was thinking perhaps a Theo or St Louis but was looking at a player we had during the cup run and what about this guy Joe Mullen he might be a little bigger you will never guess where he Played Boston College  I wouldn't sneeze at his point production. JG might not be as mean as Theo but would put him in the Mullen type player maybe even win a Lady Bing who knows all just conjecture but we can dream

I think I will temper my expectations before I try label him the next Joe Mullen.  I'll wait until he has a couple of 40 goal seasons under his belt first, then start to make those type of comparisons.

Joe is a 7x 40 goal scorer and 3 time Stanley Cup Champion.