s4xon

Johnny 'Hockey' Gaudreau

16 members have voted

This poll is closed for new votes
  1. 1. How many points will Johnny Hockey score in his sophomore season?

• 40-50
    • 50-60
    • 60-70
    • 70-80
    • 80-90
    • 90-100
    • 100+

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2,390 posts in this topic

He was invisible last game against the sharks, but this is to be expected from any rookie. He deserves the rookie of the year trophy and the Lady byng. 

He was invisible last game against the sharks, but this is to be expected from any rookie. He deserves the rookie of the year trophy and the Lady byng. 

I found that he was fighting the puck, but so was Brodie tonight. And yes, it's going to happen. When it happens more often, that's when it will be a problem...

I like the line of Gaudreau, Backlund and Hudler going forward.

Sharks are a big team I can't blame Johnny for not wanting to hang onto the puck for to long LOL.

Hudler's goal was great and at the right time.

I found that he was fighting the puck, but so was Brodie tonight. And yes, it's going to happen. When it happens more often, that's when it will be a problem...

Johnny is fine. He has games where he is keyed on more than others. This was one of them. I am still back and forth on whether Johnny and Backlund is a good combo. Sometimes I think the possession will help the line, while other times I think the best is to have a big-body center to create some space, and draw the defenders away from the wingers.

The other thing is that SJ had last change, so Hartley wasn't able to match Johnny up in prime situations.

When his line started at a faceoff, Backlund was bad last night. 2/8 in the Sharks end and 2/9 in the Flames zone. Hard to start offense when defending.

I'm sure it's just me, but I always have the feeling that Backlund doesn't like JH.  There have been many plays (zone break-ins, cycling in corners, potential goal set-ups) where I've seen Johnny being the best option, but Backlund chooses a different course of action (different player to pass/drop to, holds onto it himself).

I really do hate to think this way about a professional hockey player, but it just somehow seems to be that way for me.  Don't know if it jealousy, mistrust, flat-out don't like (but probably 99.9998% made-up in my own head), but that's how I feel when those 2 are playing together.

I'm sure it's just me, but I always have the feeling that Backlund doesn't like JH.  There have been many plays (zone break-ins, cycling in corners, potential goal set-ups) where I've seen Johnny being the best option, but Backlund chooses a different course of action (different player to pass/drop to, holds onto it himself).

I really do hate to think this way about a professional hockey player, but it just somehow seems to be that way for me.  Don't know if it jealousy, mistrust, flat-out don't like (but probably 99.9998% made-up in my own head), but that's how I feel when those 2 are playing together.

Last year, Backlund was told to hang onto the puck a bit longer. He was playing with fifferent players, so maybe that worked better. With Johnny, a pass from Backlund is not a wasted opportunity. It changes the flow. Johnny is just as likely to pass to a player in a perfect spot (see previous game with Hudler's shot on net where he was robbed) or a give and go play.

Now that Monahan is off the Schnide, maybe Hartley will try the combo again. Get Backlund back to playing against the top lines, creating chances with his excellent 2-way play. Put Johnny with Moneyhands and see if that line will become the Flames top scoring line again.

Last year, Backlund was told to hang onto the puck a bit longer. He was playing with fifferent players, so maybe that worked better. With Johnny, a pass from Backlund is not a wasted opportunity. It changes the flow. Johnny is just as likely to pass to a player in a perfect spot (see previous game with Hudler's shot on net where he was robbed) or a give and go play.

Now that Monahan is off the Schnide, maybe Hartley will try the combo again. Get Backlund back to playing against the top lines, creating chances with his excellent 2-way play. Put Johnny with Moneyhands and see if that line will become the Flames top scoring line again.

I personally think that backlund is a better option for Johnny then Mony. There were times this season when Bob put Johnny with Sean and Jiri, but it didn't really workout. Backlund is a very aggressive player opposed to Sean who's a very conservative player, I find that Backlund creates more room for Johnny because he is so aggressive on the (forecheck/on the puck), then Sean who's more of a conservative player like Jiri Hudler  

I personally think that backlund is a better option for Johnny then Mony. There were times this season when Bob put Johnny with Sean and Jiri, but it didn't really workout. Backlund is a very aggressive player opposed to Sean who's a very conservative player, I find that Backlund creates more room for Johnny because he is so aggressive on the (forecheck/on the puck), then Sean who's more of a conservative player like Jiri Hudler

Maybe you saw something I didn't, but I can count on one hand the number of times they were paired together. The first saw Johnny get a hattrick. The very next game, they were on different lines. The second was not a great gameagainst FLA (if I'm not mistaken). Since then it has been mostly Backlund. Before Backlund it was Granny Apples or Jooris.

Maybe you saw something I didn't, but I can count on one hand the number of times they were paired together. The first saw Johnny get a hattrick. The very next game, they were on different lines. The second was not a great gameagainst FLA (if I'm not mistaken). Since then it has been mostly Backlund. Before Backlund it was Granny Apples or Jooris.

He had a few shifts with Johnny In LA, but two of the hat trick goals occurred when Johnny was centered with Grandlund, the last one may have been with monahan, but monahan had no assist on it. 

I thought that Johnny played best with Josh Jorris. Josh was able to create a lot of space for Johnny why? because of his aggressiveness, and stellar two way play. Monahan is better then Josh defensively , and offensively, but Josh is a lot more aggressive then Sean. I would be okay with Sean centering JOhnny only if they have another aggressive player on that line ETC. Josh, Joe, Lance

Jooris definitely does seem to be the best center for Jonny/Jiri so far.

And this season that could work very well with a center combination of - Mony/Jooris/Backlund/Stajan. The bigger issue comes next year when Bennett is pretty much garunteed a spot.

Mony, Jooris, Backlund and Bennett are all players I would not want to see on the 4th line. And I honestly think Stajan does a good job there. That means one moves to the wing. But which one? And where?

Colborne and Jiri are definitely right wingers next year, and almost garunteed Poirier as well. And that still leaves Jones and byron who are better fits for bottom line

Jonny and GlenX are definite left wingers, with Bouma very likely. So there's one spot there. But that means Berschi doesn't play with the big club and bouma is 4th line.

Its a good problem to have, but to keep some level of vets on to mentor the kids (even 1 per line) we start having prblems with where to put the kids.

Jooris definitely does seem to be the best center for Jonny/Jiri so far.

And this season that could work very well with a center combination of - Mony/Jooris/Backlund/Stajan. The bigger issue comes next year when Bennett is pretty much garunteed a spot.

Mony, Jooris, Backlund and Bennett are all players I would not want to see on the 4th line. And I honestly think Stajan does a good job there. That means one moves to the wing. But which one? And where?

Colborne and Jiri are definitely right wingers next year, and almost garunteed Poirier as well. And that still leaves Jones and byron who are better fits for bottom line

Jonny and GlenX are definite left wingers, with Bouma very likely. So there's one spot there. But that means Berschi doesn't play with the big club and bouma is 4th line.

Its a good problem to have, but to keep some level of vets on to mentor the kids (even 1 per line) we start having prblems with where to put the kids.

Jones and Byron are "adequate" players this season. Jooris is a RHS, so he could take a bottom 6 RW spot.

If you leave off Jones and Byron, you have the following:

Center:

Backlund

Mony

Shore/Granlund

Stajan

LW:

Johnny

GlenX

Raymond

Bollig

RW:

Hudler

Colborne

Jooris

Bouma

If Poirier, Bennett and Baertschi make the club next season, then you could trade GlenX and move Colborne to LW. It also makes Bollig or Shore/Granlund the 13th or 14th forward.

I would definitely keep GlenX over Raymond. Which brings in the unfortunate issue of trade value.

But I suppose that's not a horrible option. Something along the ines of:

GlenX - Monahan - Colborne

Johnny - Bennett - Hudler

Jooris/Baertschi - Backlund - Poirier

Bollig - Stajan - Bouma

Granlund

Not a bad lineup realy. Though having no vet on the third line worries me a tad simply for lack of mentorship.

I would definitely keep GlenX over Raymond. Which brings in the unfortunate issue of trade value.

Bollig - Stajan - Bouma

Granlund

Not a bad lineup realy. Though having no vet on the third line worries me a tad simply for lack of mentorship.

Backlund's a vet, compared to the kids, not an issue.  

Baertschi - Monahan - Colborne/Shore

Gaudreau - Jooris/Shore - Hudler

Bennett - Backlund - Poirier

Ferland/Bollig - Stajan/Arnold - Bouma/Jones

Granlund - Wolf

"I would definitely keep GlenX over Raymond. Which brings in the unfortunate issue of trade value.

Bollig - Stajan - Bouma

Granlund

darth_henning"

Personally, I don't have a preference between Glencross and Raymond.

To me, they both have the same value to the team, but for different reasons.

Raymond is better offensively, Glencross has more grit.

I'm not sure if Bennett is eligible for the AHL next season; but if he is, that's where I'd start him this coming fall.

The Flames finally have some depth at LW and C, so we do not have to rush our prospects at those positions.

Jooris is a right shooting center that can play right wing.

Poirier is a left shooting right winger who can play left wing.

I don't think that I'd force Jooris to play left wing.

"I would definitely keep GlenX over Raymond. Which brings in the unfortunate issue of trade value.

Bollig - Stajan - Bouma

Granlund

darth_henning"

I'm not sure if Bennett is eligible for the AHL next season; but if he is, that's where I'd start him this coming fall.

The Flames finally have some depth at LW and C, so we do not have to rush our prospects at those positions.

That's what I said about little Johnny, boy was I wrong.

1 person likes this

Bennett can't play in the AHL next year; too young.

Poirier is that odd LHS player that plays better at RW. Colborne is probably better suited as a LW.

Jooris, Jones, Shore and Poirier would be my choices for RW.

Johnny, Colborne, Baertschi/Raymond and Bouma/Bollig would be my choice for LW.

Mony, Backlund, Bennett and Shore/Granlund would be my preference for C.

Obviously, that doesn't all come together in one season. Raymond can be phased out in favour of Baertschi. GlenX likely gets moved prior to the end of this season. Think he wants too big a raise for BT's thinking.  Byron is good on PK, but lately doesn't have any confidence. He passes when he should shoot and vice-versa.

Whoops, forgot Hudler. I listed Shore twice.  Hudler on RW. Shore at C.  Granlund is the wildcard here.  He plays a pesky game, but too many good options at center.

Bennett can't play in the AHL next year; too young.Poirier is that odd LHS player that plays better at RW. Colborne is probably better suited as a LW.Jooris, Jones, Shore and Poirier would be my choices for RW.Johnny, Colborne, Baertschi/Raymond and Bouma/Bollig would be my choice for LW.Mony, Backlund, Bennett and Shore/Granlund would be my preference for C.Obviously, that doesn't all come together in one season. Raymond can be phased out in favour of Baertschi. GlenX likely gets moved prior to the end of this season. Think he wants too big a raise for BT's thinking.Byron is good on PK, but lately doesn't have any confidence. He passes when he should shoot and vice-versa.

What about Hudler?

Shut up about the ‘Johnny Hockey’ trademark - thehockeynews.com

"The funniest thing about all this is that back home in New Jersey, nobody even calls him “Johnny.” To friends and family, he has always been John Gaudreau."

A fact, albeit from a blog, that I did not know.

My illusion about Johnny "Hockey" Gaudreau has been shattered. :o

Hopefully everyone is voting Gaudreau to be in the Breakaway Challenge in the skills competition. He currently is the leading vote getter with 44% of the votes followed closely by Giroux with 37%.

A fact, albeit from a blog, that I did not know.

My illusion about Johnny "Hockey" Gaudreau has been shattered. :o

Makes sense to trademark his nickname.

Makes sense to trademark his nickname.

I like the idea of play the Chuck Berry song when he scores.  John Hockey or John Gaudreau sounds too formal.  Besides, we will have Jon Gillies soon enough.  We can call him Jonny Goalie, and his backup Joni Goalie.  Glen Healey's head will explode (would pay to see that).

:ph34r:

Well the fact he is a rookie I'm sure they will address all this in the next half of the season he will be as good as Mony has become in a very short time be patient it will all come together   

You have to love all the possibilities we now have for our forward lines going into next year. Here is my arm-chair GM run at it.

Colborne LW, Monahan C, Bennett RW

Gaudreau LW, Backlund C, Poirier RW (if they trade Hudler for D )

Granlund LW, Shore C, Jooris RW

Bollig LW, Bouma C, Wolf RW

I know, I know they will have to pay them al 5M to reach the minimum floor. LOL