s4xon

Johnny 'Hockey' Gaudreau

16 members have voted

This poll is closed for new votes
  1. 1. How many points will Johnny Hockey score in his sophomore season?

• 40-50
    • 50-60
    • 60-70
    • 70-80
    • 80-90
    • 90-100
    • 100+

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2,390 posts in this topic

I agree that D-men are overlooked.  By Ekblad would still be my pick.  4 on the team in scoring.  Leading the D.  30 overall for NHL D.  Second in ice time playing in tough circumstances.  Third in plus minus.  Really good relative shot attempts.  

He has been played as a top 2D and he isn't just surviving, he is doing it very well.  That is more impressive IMO compared to what Gaudreau is doing (though what Gaudreau is doing is still awesome).  

Interesting.....

John Klingberg is 4th on team scoring, Leading the D, played 13 games less than Ekblad but has 2 more points. 23rd overall in D opposed to Ekblads 27th. +5 against  Ekblads +8, 12.3% SP against Ekblads 7.8%

Yet doesn;t get as much press as Ekblad,  Why?

SN  first period intermisson both color comms mention Ekblad yet Klingberg has more points less games?

If Ekblad manages to get the calder this year i'll be extremely disappointed, I view him as a bit over-rated. Especially like rocketdoctor just said Klingberg is all around better with less games played to boot.

This is Forsberg vs Gaudreau

And it seems forsberg and nashville seem to be cooling off, and gaudreau just keeps putting up numbers.

1 person likes this

I hope we have Hudler around for awhile to continue to help our rookies, he's been spectacular with Gaudreau and Monahan.

1 person likes this

Just to add to this, at his current pace, JH will end up with 65 points.  This is the most by any rookie in the past 5 years and the most since Kane had 72 points in 07/08. 

Assuming he hits 65, only 6 players in the last 10 years will have had more points in their rookie season:  Ovechkin (106), Crosby (102), Malkin (85), Statsny (78), Kane (72), Backstrom (69).  Every other rookie since the lockout will have had fewer points...

The fact that Forsberg is still considered the front-runner for the Calder by some analists is just mind-boggling. He had a great start, but for the last 25 or so games, he's been practically invisible. It should be a two-horse race between Ekblad and Gaudreau now. Both have been consistent all season long. Outside of Gaudreau's 5 game pointless skid at the beginning of the season, he's only gone more than two games without a point twice. Once in November and also last month. And both those skids ended at 3 games.

The fact that Forsberg is still considered the front-runner for the Calder by some analists is just mind-boggling. He had a great start, but for the last 25 or so games, he's been practically invisible. It should be a two-horse race between Ekblad and Gaudreau now. Both have been consistent all season long. Outside of Gaudreau's 5 game pointless skid at the beginning of the season, he's only gone more than two games without a point twice. Once in November and also last month. And both those skids ended at 3 games.[/size]

One has to think that is the Flames make the playoffs, Johnny will be a shoe-in for the Calder. Without Johnny's goals and assists, the comebacks that started on his stick (remember LA?), or those amazing zone entries, the Flames might have been 0-20 when behind after 2 periods and most definitely not in the playoff hunt.

I realize it is a team game, but Johnny impacted every player he was on the ice with; Wideman, Gio, Brodie, Russell, Jooris, Granlund...That is what you have to look at when thinking Calder. Not just stats on a page. I can't say for certain that the sports writers use WOWY numbers, but you have to think they know the Gaudfather effect.

No disrespect to Gaudreau but unless he tears it up the rest of the season my vote would be Ekblad or Klinberg. I just think what they are doing as dmen and rookies is so impressive and more so then what Gaudrea has done here. Nothing against him and I think he will be a finalist for sure but that's where my vote would go.

But then, you can take into account Gaudreau's size and the doubters doubting him this year even making the team. I know 2 years older is a lot in the early years as an NHLer, but you gotta take into consideration the size factor as well. 

A lot pegged Gaudreau needing the AHL to start his career. I was prepared for that and hoped for more of course. 

Gaudreau isn't old enough to be the Gaudfather :P

I can't picture him as a Brando.

No disrespect to Gaudreau but unless he tears it up the rest of the season my vote would be Ekblad or Klinberg. I just think what they are doing as dmen and rookies is so impressive and more so then what Gaudrea has done here. Nothing against him and I think he will be a finalist for sure but that's where my vote would go.

I'm sure a lot feel that way. Usually a defenseman would need to be clearly in a class by themselves to be picked over a forward.

Klingberg (D) - 1992 - 6'2" - 180# - Drafted 5th Round - 131st Overall - 20 FEL + 117 SHL + 3 AHL
Gaudreau (L) - 1993 - 5'9" - 150# - Drafted 4th Round - 104th Overall - 1 NHL
Forsberg © - 1994 - 6'1" - 185# - Drafted 1st Round - 11th Overall - 47 AHL + 18 NHL
Ekblad (D) - 1996 - 6'4" - 216# - Drafted 1st Round - 1st Overall - 0

I think if JH keeps at the top of the heap offensively he should win the Calder.

Klingberg has a significant European professional resume prior to this year.

Forsberg also has a considerable pro resume.

Ekblad is a #1 straight to the NHL & is performing as pretty much expected.

An 18 yo D drafted 1st overall is not really a surprise at playing in the NHL.

Age should be irrelevant although his fast-track D development is impressive.

Gaudreau was not expected to play in the NHL this year & was regarded as potentially not able to withstand the rigours of the NHL. He was clearly the huge underdog entering the season.

If the balloting occurs at the tail end of the season with the Flames in the playoffs & the Panthers out, Gaudreau should be given the nod as he was essential to the Flames success.

His "wow" factor should also win him several votes. I see a lot more Gaudreau highlights regularly on numerous websites as opposed to the other potential Calder candidates.

The Gaudreau Calder voters out East are starting to enter his corner:

A vote for Johnny Hockey - philly.com

Interesting.....

John Klingberg is 4th on team scoring, Leading the D, played 13 games less than Ekblad but has 2 more points. 23rd overall in D opposed to Ekblads 27th. +5 against  Ekblads +8, 12.3% SP against Ekblads 7.8%

Yet doesn;t get as much press as Ekblad,  Why?

He does deserve more press yes but I think age be situation matter too. Ekblad is a 19 year old dman coming straight out of junior while Klingberg is a 22 year old who played pro hockey for years over in Sweden. Ekblads transition is far more difficult imo and thus why I think it is more impressive. How often do you ever see dman come out of junior and play in he NHL let alone play at a top pairing/ borderline all star level?

Since being a healthy scratch, Johnny's been getting points at a clip of .84 P/GP. That's an insane figure for a rookie. He's on pace to have the best rookie season since Patrick Kane and something like the 8th best since the '04 lockout.

If the balloting occurs at the tail end of the season with the Flames in the playoffs & the Panthers out, Gaudreau should be given the nod as he was essential to the Flames success.

His "wow" factor should also win him several votes. I see a lot more Gaudreau highlights regularly on numerous websites as opposed to the other potential Calder candidates.

The Gaudreau Calder voters out East are starting to enter his corner:

A vote for Johnny Hockey - philly.com

Winning the rookie scoring race will be important for winning Calder votes in Gaudreau's case whereas it's less important for Forsberg.  Forsberg lead the rookie scoring race early and often, winning over voters months ago and most won't change their minds unless Gaudreau wins the scoring race hands down.

Agreed.

If JH doe not win the rookie scoring race, I won't be disappointed if he fails to win the Calder.

But if he does................

Then there is still Ekblad and Klingberg. Comparing a forward and defense-man point or goal wise does not really work.

IMHO, it means a lot to win these awards, but it is more important for the team to get into the playoffs. For me as a fan it is the bonus of a great season, but for the team it is the well earned reward of the hard work and the never quit attitude.

The award is nice to have, but worth nothing without at least a playoff series. For Johnny it shows that he can make a difference.

I'd hazard a guess that JH would give up a Calder win for the Flames to make the play-offs.

I hope that both occur.

Ekblad is a #1 straight to the NHL & is performing as pretty much expected.

An 18 yo D drafted 1st overall is not really a surprise at playing in the NHL.

Age should be irrelevant although his fast-track D development is impressive.

Have u watched this KID play? In th WJ over Christmas or during this season?

I won't take anything away from JH or any other calder candidate but This KID on D is something we haven't seen in a very long time (and in the new NHL) so he has my vote...sorry :(

I'd hazard a guess that JH would give up a Calder win for the Flames to make the play-offs.

I hope that both occur.

I think if the flames get into the playoff and Johnny is a big part of it (and he has been in the past 10+ games), he will win the Calder, no question!

Ekblad, ok... 1st overall; age of 18; impressive. Klingberg, a 5th round pick; 22 of age, performs as good, more of a surprise in my opinion.

As a Flames fan, I want to see JHG to win the Calder, but any rookie up there, will have earned it.