s4xon

Johnny 'Hockey' Gaudreau

16 members have voted

This poll is closed for new votes
  1. 1. How many points will Johnny Hockey score in his sophomore season?

• 40-50
    • 50-60
    • 60-70
    • 70-80
    • 80-90
    • 90-100
    • 100+

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2,390 posts in this topic

I am wondering why we need two Johnny threads.  They basically are one in the same.

Winning his second rookie of the month award in the final full month sways things towards Gaudreau I think.

I don't see why we need two threads either. We are talking about the same player, no?

Or does the Calder talk need to be more focused in a new thread?

That's the second time he's earned that honour this year. The ONLY rookie to get it twice. That alone I think says a lot.

If we hold down a playoff spot I'll be stunned if he doesn't earn the Calder.

I don't think the Flames making the playoffs will matter for this award...

Gaudreau is a significant part of one of the most dynamic lines in the league right now.... He'll earn votes no matter what the rest of the team does... his line is flying regardless of how the last 5 gms go.

I think Forsberg has dropped enough to make this one between Ekblad and JG... and even Ekblad's contributions have seemed to drop from his mid-season work...

I can't really see Gaudreau not winning it at this point unless Ekblad is prominent in a Panthers late push here..

Hypothetical... Without Forsberg, do you think the Predators make the playoffs this season? Without Johnny, do we?

Not that simple of a question. Preds have 103 points so no j don't think without Forsberg they would drop close to 20 points. But for comparison sake to make the same argument by your standards that would mean that the flames without Gaudrea would drop 20 points and be in the Edmonton/Arizona category. Do you think without Gaudrea the Flames are a lottery team? I sure don't.

Just like Gaudrea Forsberg has been helped by people around him and no I would not say Gaudrea has been more important to the flames then Foraberg to yhe Preds. Both have been huge boosts to their organization. Sure you can say well forsberg has Neil, Fischer, Riberio but keep in mind Gaudrea his finished playing with the best player in the NHL last month. I'm not taking anything away from Gaudreau by saying that I'm just saying I don't think it's ever fair to diminish someone accomplishment by arguing they are my as key

This thread is about the Calder race and the Flames representative in that category.

Sure, but the poll in the other thread is about winning the Calder. If we want to have two threads dedicated to Johnny, no problem I guess. It just seems redundant. The other one is already at 57 pages.

It's funny but if you compare Johnny's NHL body of work and Flip's you see two different players:

Forsberg
96 games - 24 goals - 41 assists = 65 points - 28 PIM - +1
0.67 p/gp

Gaudreau
77 games - 23 goals - 38 assists - 61 points - 14 PIM - +9
0.79 p/gp

EDIT:

BODOG has Johnny as odds-on favorite to win the Calder:

Who will win the Calder Memorial Trophy as the NHL’s Rookie of the Year?

Johnny Gaudreau (CAL) 4/7
Filip Forsberg (NAS) 7/4
Mike Hoffman (OTT) 6/1
Aaron Ekblad (FLA) 8/1

Not that simple of a question. Preds have 103 points so no j don't think without Forsberg they would drop close to 20 points. But for comparison sake to make the same argument by your standards that would mean that the flames without Gaudrea would drop 20 points and be in the Edmonton/Arizona category. Do you think without Gaudrea the Flames are a lottery team? I sure don't.

Just like Gaudrea Forsberg has been helped by people around him and no I would not say Gaudrea has been more important to the flames then Foraberg to yhe Preds. Both have been huge boosts to their organization. Sure you can say well forsberg has Neil, Fischer, Riberio but keep in mind Gaudrea his finished playing with the best player in the NHL last month. I'm not taking anything away from Gaudreau by saying that I'm just saying I don't think it's ever fair to diminish someone accomplishment by arguing they are my as key

No one player will make a team drop 20 points. The replacement level player are too adept for that. That said without Gaudreau or Forsberg you can arguably make the case that each team would probably be 3-5 pts lower. For the Preds thats nothing. For the Flames that means tee times would already be booked.

Looks like Dave Hodge agree's: http://www.tsn.ca/thumbs-up-to-trophy-picks-1.248509

For whatever thats worth.

Anytime you add a 60 point forward for free your helping the team. Both players are putting forward special rookie performances.

Like I said above, it's easy to over think this. For rookie wingers so closely matched it will come down to who puts up more points.

Stone has elbowed his way into this conversation too.  He's now tied with Forsberg for points and is only one back of Johnny Hockey.  I'm not sure whether his late surge will help him (late surge to drag ottawa into the playoffs?) or hurt him (he was never really part of the conversation and it may be too late to get him in the conversation). 

Just another really impressive rookie campaign...

On a side note, Stone was a sixth round pick.

Usually it's the east bias that's in play for these sort of things, but this time Johnny Hockey is the better known, more discussed player. He's the more compelling underdog story and has been in the spotlight all year long. If he can maintain the scoring lead, he will win.

Usually it's the east bias that's in play for these sort of things, but this time Johnny Hockey is the better known, more discussed player. He's the more compelling underdog story and has been in the spotlight all year long. If he can maintain the scoring lead, he will win.

No question he will. Everybody saw he got a little ticked off getting high sticked last night, what does he do? Score on the power play.

"Mr. referee, don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry" :wub:

1 person likes this

I loved that angry goal from Gaudreau last night. Almost Iginla like. Except Iginla would have kicked his but, sat his five, then scored.

Ya, but that was the right call on the high stick as it was a follow through playing the puck, which is allowed.

I loved that angry goal from Gaudreau last night. Almost Iginla like. Except Iginla would have kicked his but, sat his five, then scored.

Johnny's biggest problem with it (after the coach or Hudler/Mony would have explained it to him) was that it kept him off the ice for a shift or two.  That kid wants to be out there any cance he can get.  Winners want to have the game on their stick.

Not to snub Stone, but you don't enter into rookie of the year conversation at the last minute.  Johnny was rookie of the month for two different months.  Forsberg was one month as well.  Stone is a relative pro, have played in three different years with the Senators and their AHL club.  I see Stone 4th compared to Johnny, Forsberg and Ekblad

Are you insane? You can't slam your stick into someone's face on a follow through.

Moss isn't a dirty player.  It was a clear follow through and not intentional.  I would have been annoyed as heck if I was Gaudreau (ouch) and it is a bit of a silly rule.  But it wasn't a penalty IMO.  

Moss isn't a dirty player.  It was a clear follow through and not intentional.  I would have been annoyed as heck if I was Gaudreau (ouch) and it is a bit of a silly rule.  But it wasn't a penalty IMO.  

The amazing thing is that so many feared Johnny would be man-handled in the NHL, would get run into the boards, would pancake after a hit from the bigger players....

The two things that have caused Johnny the most pain are 1) errant stick to the nose, 2) tripping over a bench in his apartment.

Johnny, you are in the driver's seat in 1st place, don't make a pit stop and just finish the race the same way you started it.  Dazzle the hockey writers with your elite skillset, keep them talking about your 200 foot game, show them that even when you don't score you are driving the play. 

Is this an extension of April Fool's? Since when do penalties have to be intentional? You still have to be responsible for your hockey stick. You can't just follow through, destroy someone's face and then simply carry on shrugging your shoulders.

No one player will make a team drop 20 points. The replacement level player are too adept for that. That said without Gaudreau or Forsberg you can arguably make the case that each team would probably be 3-5 pts lower. For the Preds thats nothing. For the Flames that means tee times would already be booked.

Looks like Dave Hodge agree's: http://www.tsn.ca/thumbs-up-to-trophy-picks-1.248509

For whatever thats worth.

So even though their impact on the team is the same you think Gaudrea shohld get it based on the fact flames wouldn't be in the playoffs without him? I think that's flawed logic. Your punishing Forsberg because he plays on a better team which isn't fair.

Nope, not a penalty.

(rule 60.1).  No penalty assessed provided this was considered a normal wind up or a follow though of a shooting motion.

Is this an extension of April Fool's? Since when do penalties have to be intentional? You still have to be responsible for your hockey stick. You can't just follow through, destroy someone's face and then simply carry on shrugging your shoulders.

Yes you can. You may not agree with it. But it is absolutely in the rule book.

I think back to a goal Ovechkin scored against us last season, where he scored off the faceoff, and his follow through hit hulder in the face. I was furious with it but its not a penalty.

Is this an extension of April Fool's? Since when do penalties have to be intentional? You still have to be responsible for your hockey stick. You can't just follow through, destroy someone's face and then simply carry on shrugging your shoulders.

There is a difference between "responsible for your stick" and following through on a shot.  For instance, if you whip your stick around in a turning motion and clip a guy, it is a penalty (Kassian on Gagner).  If you take a wrister or slapper and the follow through hit a guy, no penalty.