The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
s4xon

Johnny 'Hockey' Gaudreau

16 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How many points will Johnny Hockey score in his sophomore season?

• 40-50
    • 50-60
    • 60-70
    • 70-80
    • 80-90
    • 90-100
    • 100+

Agreed..I do believe he signs...I even believe if for some silly reason he does go back for one more year it's with full intention of signing with calgary afterwards (as opposed to pulling a schultz).. but if he does go back, we can't gamble that, hes gotta be moved. Youre right, I believe the draft is his deadline day to sign

The flames retain his rights for only 30 days after the season should Gaudrea choose to leave college and given the frozen four, making the assumption BC is involved, is April 10th and 11th the flames would have until the middle of May or so to sign him so it will be done well before the draft.

I don't know Gaudrea personally so I have no idea what he is thinking but for me if Gaudrea hesitates at all to sigh this season or talks about wanting to go back I would move him ASAP. I would not let him go back to BC for another season because I think if he does you open yourself up to way too much risk should he choose not to sign with you plus IMO you only risk his value dropping as I'm not sure it can get any higher at this point.

• Like 1

The flames retain his rights for only 30 days after the season should Gaudrea choose to leave college and given the frozen four, making the assumption BC is involved, is April 10th and 11th the flames would have until the middle of May or so to sign him so it will be done well before the draft.

I don't know Gaudrea personally so I have no idea what he is thinking but for me if Gaudrea hesitates at all to sigh this season or talks about wanting to go back I would move him ASAP. I would not let him go back to BC for another season because I think if he does you open yourself up to way too much risk should he choose not to sign with you plus IMO you only risk his value dropping as I'm not sure it can get any higher at this point.

Exactly.

Signing Gaudreau should be a top priority between the end of college and the NHL draft.

If he's not signed by the NHL draft, then I think he has to be a prime candidate for any trade that occurs there.

Tim Erixon 101.

That being said, there is no reason why we should think we Can't sign him before then.

That's why we need a strong GM.

The objective was to round out his game. Brian Sutter and Al Coates believed heavily in him, had plans for him, and were in the process of developing him (and clearly they did a textbook job). Unfortunately, they were fired and the clueless Craig Button was brought in, the guy who to this day rides the coattails of his father.  

You put St. Louis and Marc Savard on that 2004 team and you can only wonder what would have happened.  

Absolutely man.  If there is any sign that Gaudreau isn't going to sign with the Flames this season, then you have to play it safe and cash in on an asset before you lose him to another team for free.  You have to trade him.  Luckily, it looks like he's hyped pretty good and lots of teams are interested.

Al Morganti was on Fan 960 this morning, He's been in touch with the Gaudreau family, He's confident Jonny will sign as soon as his season is done.  https://twitter.com/nufced

I don't understand where all this "he might not/won't sign" garbage is coming from.

They changed the rules for college players and the Justin Schultz side door is much less likely to ever happen again.

I would say give it 99% chance he will sign when done with his college career. Just about everything I have seen(like above) indicates he will sign with us.

I don't understand where all this "he might not/won't sign" garbage is coming from.

They changed the rules for college players and the Justin Schultz side door is much less likely to ever happen again.

I would say give it 99% chance he will sign when done with his college career. Just about everything I have seen(like above) indicates he will sign with us.

There has been MINOR changes in the CBA to the rules for college players. I do agree he will sign with Calgary but;

the rules for college players and the Justin Schultz side door is still very much open.

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2013/6/7/4404684/nhl-cba-college-loophole-ncaa-change

Personally Iv'e never had any doubt  that Jonny Hockey wouldn't sign with the Flames, I've only questioned when he would sign.

I Couldn't be more excited that most reports are pointing that he's ready & eager to start his pro career. 

I fully understand the fear of pulling a Schultz. Imho I beleive Jonny to have a strong humble character. He also has a temendous loyalty to family, This for me is the only X factor i see being a possible potential issue. 

No one thought Erixon would pigeon hole the Flames but it happened, Nothings impossible.... All it takes is for his parents to influence him to play at home & we're at the mercy of Lou Lamoriello. 

As a fan I can remain blissfully ignorant & choose to believe in Jonny's character, I choose to believe he's a good kid with 100% intentions of being a Flame and his parents fully support his decisions. But it's not hard to see why other choose no to.

However the Flames have the resposibility of due dilligence to protect the future of the team Burke will do what needs to be done if he doesn't sign as soon as his season is over and not allow the Erixon debacle to repeat it's self. 

I've always seen Gaudreau as a very humble, and classy player. Being in full rebuild we have a lot more potential to bring him into our lines than a team that may be contending and have a pretty set lineup. Much like the whole Knight situation for us so I have no fear he won't sign.

I just hope we don't rush him in or anything and preach patience, best case scenario I see is he comes into the show and just continues where he left off with BC.

Realistically he has to adjust to the more gruelling schedule and pace/size of the NHL.  But I don't see this as a long process, he's always had to work through adversity and his size so I'm sure he'll be able to prove everyone hesitant on him wrong.  We just can't hoist him on a pedestal and place unrealistic expectations much like we did Sven (But that's been kicked to death already hahah)

~Fey

It'll be interesting to see Johnny reap the benefits of NHL fitness training with NHL coaching, fitness trainers, and nutritionists. (No more skittles and Mountain Dew).  Once he's signed to an NHL contract, he'll gain a few pounds of muscle.  His speed should increase, and his playmaking ability should only benefit from any gains made.

Al Morganty is pretty set on Johnny and his family giving him the green light to sign, and Al continually puts his reputation on the line on air that Johnny will be a Flame by the end of the season.  If it doesn't happen, it's not going to be great for his credibility.

Nobody wants to talk about this kid tying Kariya's record? Man, tough crowd. I know it's always best to curb enthusiasm when it comes to our prospects but I have no doubt this team's going to be even better, and even more exciting to watch next season. Mcdavid camp better get their crying towels handy, we won't be a lottery team.

Nobody wants to talk about this kid tying Kariya's record? Man, tough crowd. I know it's always best to curb enthusiasm when it comes to our prospects but I have no doubt this team's going to be even better, and even more exciting to watch next season. Mcdavid camp better get their crying towels handy, we won't be a lottery team.

Johnny Hockey seems to follow up a good performance with a great one.  This year It has been hard to figure out if it is the Arnold/Hayes line that did it or they benefitted from him; I think both are somewhat true.  I hope he gets another point today to beat Kariya's record.  He is quickly becoming the NCAA wonderkid.

So he fails to break Paul Kariya's record and Boston College is eliminated at the same time.

Not a bad run for him though.  Time for Burke to offer him a contract with the Flames.  Forfeit a year of elegibility if that's what it takes to get him signed.  Offer him the rookie maximum.

Although the Eagles are out of the Hockey East playoffs, I believe they are still eligible for the post season NCAA tournament so we have to wait a little longer...

I guess I started same post sorry about that So I will say here as well Congrates to Mr Johnny Hockey for all his accomplisments you did yourself proud. Hope to see you wearing the Flaming C real soon

While it's too bad that Johnny Hockey didn't beat Paul Kariya's record, I think it's extremely impressive when you take into account how the game has changed since '92. Seriously, good for him. I'm a sucker for underdogs.

Although the Eagles are out of the Hockey East playoffs, I believe they are still eligible for the post season NCAA tournament so we have to wait a little longer...

You are correct. Boston College pretty much have a 100% chance of playing in the tournament at the end of the month and into April. They are the 2nd ranked team in the states and ten teams get voted in plus those that win their league.

So were looking closer to mid April before we can sign him but it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to finish his schooling before joining the NHL. Even though many people say to trade him if he doesn't sign this year, I am pretty sure he wouldn't pull a Schultz if he went to school another year.

While it's too bad that Johnny Hockey didn't beat Paul Kariya's record, I think it's extremely impressive when you take into account how the game has changed since '92. Seriously, good for him. I'm a sucker for underdogs.

Just an additional note: Just because he did not beat the record does not diminish the fact he managed to tie the record. This is even more of a huge accomplishment. when you consider who held the record and who he now shares that record with.

I for one would be estatic if Johnny Hockey's career mimics Paul Kariya and his NHL career in some form.(other than the concussions of course)

Just an additional note: Just because he did not beat the record does not diminish the fact he managed to tie the record. This is even more of a huge accomplishment. when you consider who held the record and who he now shares that record with.

I for one would be estatic if Johnny Hockey's career mimics Paul Kariya and his NHL career in some form.(other than the concussions of course)

Well said.

Paul Kariya had it hard with concussions, and still managed to be a world-class hockey player.

For those who remember him when Kariya set that record...it's hard to believe, but his NHL record doesn't do him justice.  It was truly a case of a player who became an NHL Great, and at the same time, never came close to reaching their potential.   He was that good.

To tie any of Kariya's records, before he had any of his injuries, and in this era....you have to be Scary good.

Well said.

Paul Kariya had it hard with concussions, and still managed to be a world-class hockey player.

For those who remember him when Kariya set that record...it's hard to believe, but his NHL record doesn't do him justice.  It was truly a case of a player who became an NHL Great, and at the same time, never came close to reaching their potential.   He was that good.

To tie any of Kariya's records, before he had any of his injuries, and in this era....you have to be Scary good.

Johnny has been scary good thus far.  I want to see it translate to the NHL first to believe it will continue.  Other than his size, he's the total package.  He's quick and has excellent skating, can stick handle around a dime, hands of silk, avoids major hits (we'll see a the NHL level), very consistent, and most of all he's humble.  He attributes his success to the rest of the team.

I know there are posters here that don't drink his kool-aid, but he's my favorite prospect, and I am gunning for the kid to be a star.  After all, hockey is a spectator sport, and I am allowed to think so. :)

I am looking forward to his first pro game to see how it translates from the NCAA.  Can't wait till the first time TSN's SportsCentre shows highlights of his first NHL game, where they will annoit him "Johnny Hockey", as if they just thought of it.  It would have been nice to see the TSN talking heads going gaga during a Flames game intermission.

Johnny has been scary good thus far.  I want to see it translate to the NHL first to believe it will continue.  Other than his size, he's the total package.  He's quick and has excellent skating, can stick handle around a dime, hands of silk, avoids major hits (we'll see a the NHL level), very consistent, and most of all he's humble.  He attributes his success to the rest of the team.

I know there are posters here that don't drink his kool-aid, but he's my favorite prospect, and I am gunning for the kid to be a star.  After all, hockey is a spectator sport, and I am allowed to think so. :)

Yes, I drank the Kool-Aid, made a second batch, and drank some more.  Here's to you Johnny Hockey!!!  Kick some butt during the NCAA Championships and win yourself that Hobey thingy.  We'll hold a spot for you on the Flames lineup; just (sign first) come to camp and play your usual self.

You are correct. Boston College pretty much have a 100% chance of playing in the tournament at the end of the month and into April. They are the 2nd ranked team in the states and ten teams get voted in plus those that win their league.

So were looking closer to mid April before we can sign him but it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to finish his schooling before joining the NHL. Even though many people say to trade him if he doesn't sign this year, I am pretty sure he wouldn't pull a Schultz if he went to school another year.

Ive said earlier, while I believe he has no intention of pulling a schultz, he does still have his parents, soon an agent etc who if they steer him wrong could convince him to "just listen"

If the unthinkable were to happen, and he walks for nothing as a ufa, that would be more devastating to the growth of the franchise than looking back and seeing we traded the next Paul Kariya. Remember we survived trading Brett Hull..even won a cup because of it.

Nope, if he hasn't signed by draft day he has to be moved, but ill go on record as saying I predict he will be signed by then

We'll hold a spot for you on the Flames lineup; just (sign first) come to camp and play your usual self.

NO! No, no, no, no, and no!  Did I mention "no" yet? No?  Then NO! N-O spells NO!

The days of holding a spot on The Big Club absolutely have to be over.  Bring him to training camp?  Sure.  Let him play an exhibition game or two?  Why not!  Hold a spot on the roster that's "his to lose"?  Absolutely not!

Give him a taste of what the NHL is all about, and put him in Abby for a season or two.  Let him adjust to the size and speed difference between college hockey and the pros.  Let him tear up the record books in the AHL for a season.  Let him be the head-and-shoulders choice for Player of the Year, first team all-star, and playofff MVP for in minors.  But for the love of God, and all that is holy, do NOT "hold a spot" for him on the Flames roster.

Ive said earlier, while I believe he has no intention of pulling a schultz, he does still have his parents, soon an agent etc who if they steer him wrong could convince him to "just listen"

If the unthinkable were to happen, and he walks for nothing as a ufa, that would be more devastating to the growth of the franchise than looking back and seeing we traded the next Paul Kariya. Remember we survived trading Brett Hull..even won a cup because of it.

Nope, if he hasn't signed by draft day he has to be moved, but ill go on record as saying I predict he will be signed by then

I talk to his uncle every now and then and though they would like him to stay in Boston, they are fully supportive of him moving out west.  But with his lack of size, there is still some building up in size and strength to be done.  His family is mostly working class and I don't know that any of them have a college education.  I think with him being 3 years out of 4, and with the potential that perhaps he is too small for the NHL, the college education is more of a necessity to him and an accomplishment in his family, just as much as hockey is.

I don't think the value for him would be any less now, then this time next year, if we didn't think we could sign him.  I'd say it's 50/50 right now whether he signs or stays in Boston, and that is no where near good enough.

If the Bruins were interested in him, that would be his preferred choice, but Calgary is his 1st choice, only when he is ready.

I talk to his uncle every now and then and though they would like him to stay in Boston, they are fully supportive of him moving out west.  But with his lack of size, there is still some building up in size and strength to be done.  His family is mostly working class and I don't know that any of them have a college education.  I think with him being 3 years out of 4, and with the potential that perhaps he is too small for the NHL, the college education is more of a necessity to him and an accomplishment in his family, just as much as hockey is.

I don't think the value for him would be any less now, then this time next year, if we didn't think we could sign him.  I'd say it's 50/50 right now whether he signs or stays in Boston, and that is no where near good enough.

If the Bruins were interested in him, that would be his preferred choice, but Calgary is his 1st choice, only when he is ready.

And I dont doubt any of that, but thats not a risk I see burke taking. This time next year, his value drops simply because teams know we have to move him. Even as you stated, bost

on could suddenly show interest and before you know it were taking draft picks cuz everybody knows hes just going to sign in boston.

I do believe he signs this year, especially if Arnold signs..but its bad business to let him get past this summer.

This time next year, as much as his intentions are good, hes weeks away from having a choice, from findibg out what his options really are..even from finding out first hand what interest boston might have. Who could blame him from wanting to know?

Instead of being our Brett Hull, hes St. Louus. Without playing a game, his stock is at its ighest in june