The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
s4xon

Johnny 'Hockey' Gaudreau

16 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How many points will Johnny Hockey score in his sophomore season?

• 40-50
    • 50-60
    • 60-70
    • 70-80
    • 80-90
    • 90-100
    • 100+

Hello from the Flyers boards! I'm only here to participate in this thread because Gaudreau grew up in the town bordering mine (I lived in Pennsville, NJ. Carney's Point is a 5-minute drive), so I hear a lot about him. I was reading through the thread and I was surprised to see how many voted that he'd be a star. I'm not here to be a debbie downer, by any means, but do you guys really see his game translating to the NHL at a mere 5'7? That's where I think he's screwed.

My buddy pointed out the potential Briere scenario, but even Danny had 3 inches on him. That makes a difference. I wish the best for him, I have friends who hangout with his sister and such and they're a nice family (from what I've seen). I just am doubtful it'll workout at that size. I know you Flames fans need some hope, so I don't blame you for getting hyped for a good prospect (I'm right there with you with Gotisbehere). Just curious to hear people's thoughts because I haven't seen his height discussed much.

Other than size what is he missing. Has he ever been hurt from taking a bone crushing hit? Smaller players are faster and harder more elusive. He isn't on the roster to be a physical force. From what I have seen since being drafted, he seems to prove everyone wrong. Last years scoring race winner was what 5'8. 

So based on height we have a 6'7 dman that plays like he is 5'2, and a 5'8 forward that plays like he is 6'7. Height doesn't mean anything unless it is a tallest person competition. The kid will either make it or not based on his talent level not height. 

Tell me does any one remember  Theoren Fleury he was 5 6" and was a amzing player if JG can play even close to theo then we have the makings of a stanley cup potential team in the future with players like mono arnold the new and improved backs hudler cio and many more quality players coming in next season now don't get me wrong I know the cup won'\t be next yr but I see it in our future very soon :)

• Like 1

Hello from the Flyers boards! I'm only here to participate in this thread because Gaudreau grew up in the town bordering mine (I lived in Pennsville, NJ. Carney's Point is a 5-minute drive), so I hear a lot about him. I was reading through the thread and I was surprised to see how many voted that he'd be a star. I'm not here to be a debbie downer, by any means, but do you guys really see his game translating to the NHL at a mere 5'7? That's where I think he's screwed.

My buddy pointed out the potential Briere scenario, but even Danny had 3 inches on him. That makes a difference. I wish the best for him, I have friends who hangout with his sister and such and they're a nice family (from what I've seen). I just am doubtful it'll workout at that size. I know you Flames fans need some hope, so I don't blame you for getting hyped for a good prospect (I'm right there with you with Gotisbehere). Just curious to hear people's thoughts because I haven't seen his height discussed much.

Since you are wondering you might like to look up the history of another Calgary Flame. He was even smaller than JH.

5b7ef4c776aed3b810d56592a62e5ac2.png

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying JH is the next coming of Theo, but JH has the skillset. The drive and heart are to be determined yet.

If you can, tune in to the Canucks Flames game tonight. JH and Bill Arnold are in the lineup.

Johnny's been recently measured since his signing.  He's listed currently at 5'9 and 160 lbs.  He's an inch taller than Martin St. Louis, and stands at the same height as Mike Cammalleri.

Here he is standing beside Bill Arnold who is 6'0 tall.  He's not that much shorter or smaller.

dda686f2ec923811741e1cd25612132e.png

Patrick Kane is one inch taller (he's listed as 5'11 but we all know that's a BS padded stat, look at various pics around the net) and was 8 lbs heavier in his rookie year. 

Gaudreau will be fine.

It could also be safe to say he is young he could still grow some I agree he will be fine and will break some records I perdict for flames any way been awhile since a player on this team has hit the 50 goal mark in his rookie yr

It could also be safe to say he is young he could still grow some I agree he will be fine and will break some records I perdict for flames any way been awhile since a player on this team has hit the 50 goal mark in his rookie yr

I think that's a little overzealous to assume a 50 goal mark.  It was done once in the Flames history.  Lets temper our expectations a little. ;)

I think they can once the flames season ends

http://theahl.com/ahl-weekly-release-p182341

And per National Hockey League rules, only those players who have been recalled from an AHL club following the NHL trade deadline (Wednesday, Apr. 3 at 3 p.m. ET) may be returned to the AHL during the remainder of the season. 

This article is from last year but it explains the rule pertaining to sending Gaudreau, Arnold, Agostino and Van Brabant down to the Heat, and why they are not ineligible.

Hey DD I guess my posting of theo wasn't as good as yrs but thought I made the point

I had not seen your  post and just replied to the KB post.. Nothing wrong with yours at all, no need to compare the 2 good posts and grade which is better.

I hear you guys. I'm a former hockey player, so I know enough about hockey in general (not just Philly). I remember Theo. However, I think the Theo comments are a bit overzealous, but I get your point. We'll see. I already intended on streaming the game to watch him. I, not being a Flame fan, could care less about Arnold. My only interest was JG because of the proximity to where he played through his childhood and where he grew up. I guess time will tell! Like I said, I hope he pans out...just skeptical. 

Guys, Kyle came in peace so don't get defensive.

He & I seldom see eye to eye on the Flyers board but he seems to want Gaudreau to succeed.

• Like 1

No defensive stance taken. Just giving some updated info on the kid.  The "experts" are still spewing height and weight stats from 3  years ago, and unfortunately most people are getting their info from those sources.  Not the first time the "experts" have gotten it wrong.

Gaudreau has the tools to be a star in the NHL. More so than any other Flames prospect. That includes Monahan.

But his size is a significant obstacle to overcome. Sure, there are some players that have overcome the size issue. But few of them are as tiny as Gaudreau, and there are way more guys that didn't succeed that aren't being talked about.

Until Gaudreau proves that he can play at this level there will be plenty of sceptics. Let's hope he proves them wrong.

Personally I think he will. He has the right maturity, attitude, and enough skills to overcome his size.

I really hope that Gaudreau can transition smoothly to the NHL and be a top player for the Flames, but I am also realistic that it is going to be an uphill battle for him and I know success isn't going to come over night.

Welcome to the Flames Johnny Hockey.  You have made it to the NHL, after an amazing season in the NCAA.  Play your game and forget about all the people saying how small guys will have trouble making it.  Enjoy the experience against one of the Flames' biggest rivals.

Get used to the training regimen this summer so you can add those pounds you need.  Get stronger so you can play at the higher level pro hockey brings.  Don't get down if you don't immediately make the team. 

Hope you are here to stay.

Gaudreau has the tools to be a star in the NHL. More so than any other Flames prospect. That includes Monahan.

But his size is a significant obstacle to overcome. Sure, there are some players that have overcome the size issue. But few of them are as tiny as Gaudreau, and there are way more guys that didn't succeed that aren't being talked about.

Until Gaudreau proves that he can play at this level there will be plenty of sceptics. Let's hope he proves them wrong.

Personally I think he will. He has the right maturity, attitude, and enough skills to overcome his size.

Exactly. That was my point. As 52 said, I come in peace (lol). 

Hey, at least he's off to a good start. He's getting pushed off the puck easily, but a goal is a goal. That has to feel good in your first and only NHL game of the season.

I think the thing I was most impressed with was his vision. He seemed to be able to find the open man with regularity.

Hopefully he can put on 10-15 lbs over the summer.

I liked watching him play, especially behind the net. I also like Arnold. I hope Johnny relishes his first goal, you only get one. 

Looking forward to next year already. Go Flames Go!