The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
s4xon

Johnny 'Hockey' Gaudreau

16 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How many points will Johnny Hockey score in his sophomore season?

• 40-50
    • 50-60
    • 60-70
    • 70-80
    • 80-90
    • 90-100
    • 100+

I think the training regimen is key to Johnny's success in the NHL, not lining up against also-ran AHL players that couln't make the NHL or young guys trying to make a name for themselves.  He needs to build core and leg strength.  "Sheltering" him in the AHL is not much of benefit.  Guys like the Nuge RNH had the option of playing with boys in the CHL.  Johnny does not.

If he has the skills to be on the team, then play him.  If he shows weakness in pre-season, that is another story.  It's going to be difficult to predict where he starts this season because he is a drawing card no matter where he is assigned and the Flames are in business to make money.  In the AHL, he will have a fan base from the east coast, where he is a known star.  In the NHL, he is known about from all the scouting of NCAA players.  And all the Flames fans waiting to see him.

Saying that, I predict that he will start in the NHL based on his skillset.  Hartley will want him on the 2nd or 3rd line, and will work with him to get him to his potential.  I have no reason to think he gets sent down to the AHL because of his ability to shine at the NHL level.  Saying that, he may get bumped due to having guys like Bollig or needing to give farm kids an opportunity.  Of course he could just sit for a game or 3.      

The "also-rans" are good transition to upgrade against.  They may not have enough skill to be in the NHL, but most of them have the body mass and strength, which is my point.  If Johnny starts off Addy, his skills and smarts will cause him to be a superstar, and (here's the important part to me) he will be working against NHL-sized men and learning how to not get hurt, as opposed to the younger bodies of the NCAA.

I would much rather see him learn how to take a hit properly in the AHL, where the focus is on developing as a fully-rounded player, than learn the hard way in the NHL against someone like Regher, Chara, Subban, etc.  Let him learn against the full-sized "wanna-be's" before you put him the crosshairs of bonafide wrecking machines.

Johnny has NHL level skills, NHL level smarts, and (almost) NHL level speed.  I absolutely want him to be on NHL roster (god knows we've been missing that kind of excitement).  However, I want to see that kind of excitement over an extended period of time, not have it snuffed out after the first meeting with a wrecking-ball of a defender.  The also-rans in the AHL will give him an introduction to what he'll be up against in the NHL, and he'll learn how to avoid and absorb those kind of hits.

Your point of view is not wrong.  I completely understand exactly what you're saying and why.  But you asked why people are feeling that he should start in the AHL, and I'm providing one (of many?) response.

The "also-rans" are good transition to upgrade against.  They may not have enough skill to be in the NHL, but most of them have the body mass and strength, which is my point.  If Johnny starts off Addy, his skills and smarts will cause him to be a superstar, and (here's the important part to me) he will be working against NHL-sized men and learning how to not get hurt, as opposed to the younger bodies of the NCAA.

I would much rather see him learn how to take a hit properly in the AHL, where the focus is on developing as a fully-rounded player, than learn the hard way in the NHL against someone like Regher, Chara, Subban, etc.  Let him learn against the full-sized "wanna-be's" before you put him the crosshairs of bonafide wrecking machines.

Johnny has NHL level skills, NHL level smarts, and (almost) NHL level speed.  I absolutely want him to be on NHL roster (god knows we've been missing that kind of excitement).  However, I want to see that kind of excitement over an extended period of time, not have it snuffed out after the first meeting with a wrecking-ball of a defender.  The also-rans in the AHL will give him an introduction to what he'll be up against in the NHL, and he'll learn how to avoid and absorb those kind of hits.

Your point of view is not wrong.  I completely understand exactly what you're saying and why.  But you asked why people are feeling that he should start in the AHL, and I'm providing one (of many?) response.

I don't disagree about learning to take a hit properly.  I guess I just see the AHL littered with more goons than the NHL.  In other words, guys that can't even make it in the NHL as goons.  Or older, ex-NHL 'ers who have nothing better to do that hit.

I hope he has what it takes to play in the NHL, and hope that coaching/management make a decision that is fair to him as a prospect, while looking at his long-term wellfare.  If that is the NHL, then they feel he is best served playing on the big club.  Burke will be likely the last one to agree to it.    

Found this chart/list of the smallest players currently in the NHL.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/nhl/shortest-players-in-the-nhl.aspx

Gaudreau, listed as 5'-8" 155lb is 16th on the list (i guess technically tied for 11th shortest).  What's unacceptable to me is 155 lbs.  I think for his size, he needs to be built like St.Louis, Zuccarello, Desharnais, Gionta, etc.  He needs to be 175 lbs pure muscles in order to find success.

I'm not sure if he can put on 10 lbs of muscle per month for two months.  That's some crazy body building regime he has to undergo.

Found this chart/list of the smallest players currently in the NHL.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/nhl/shortest-players-in-the-nhl.aspx

Gaudreau, listed as 5'-8" 155lb is 16th on the list (i guess technically tied for 11th shortest).  What's unacceptable to me is 155 lbs.  I think for his size, he needs to be built like St.Louis, Zuccarello, Desharnais, Gionta, etc.  He needs to be 175 lbs pure muscles in order to find success.

I'm not sure if he can put on 10 lbs of muscle per month for two months.  That's some crazy body building regime he has to undergo.

With those numbers, I have no problem increasing my "20-or-so games" statement, and you pointing this out is exactly why *I* want him on the farm next year (other people may have different reasons, but that's my biggest one)

This is the way I see it.  Feel free to agree or disagree.

He's not an 18 year old coming onto an NHL team fresh off the draft.  He's had an ample 3 year development path over the last 3 years in the NCAA, owning every player he faced every step of the way.  The AHL is full of college graduates/collegiates turning pro early, fringe NHL'ers who can't quite make the big show, and ex NHL'ers who have regressed to the point where their services are no longer needed.  I'm not so sure this development path is the right one specifically for Gaudreau.

Johnny's going to be small whether he plays in the AHL or the NHL.  With being in the NHL he has access to the best coaching, medical, equipment, nutrition, travel, amenities, etc.  He not only learns to be a pro with the best of the pros, he also is well monitored night in and night out by the department heads. If he's to sharpen his skills to be the elite player most are projecting him to be, and to put on weight the right way, I'd rather it be with the best. 

HIs contract doesn't slide, and the 9 games rookie period doesn't apply to him like it did Monahan, or like it would Bennett.  Start Johnny out with the big club.  If he's struggling after 20 games or so, then send him down.  (which I doubt would ever be an issue)

He's not an 18 year old coming onto an NHL team fresh off the draft.  He's had an ample 3 year development path over the last 3 years in the NCAA, owning every player he faced every step of the way.  The AHL is full of college graduates/collegiates turning pro early, fringe NHL'ers who can't quite make the big show, and ex NHL'ers who have regressed to the point where their services are no longer needed.  I'm not so sure this development path is the right one specifically for Gaudreau.

Johnny's going to be small whether he plays in the AHL or the NHL.  With being in the NHL he has access to the best coaching, medical, equipment, nutrition, travel, amenities, etc.  He not only learns to be a pro with the best of the pros, he also is well monitored night in and night out by the department heads. If he's to sharpen his skills to be the elite player most are projecting him to be, and to put on weight the right way, I'd rather it be with the best. 

HIs contract doesn't slide, and the 9 games rookie period doesn't apply to him like it did Monahan, or like it would Bennett.  Start Johnny out with the big club.  If he's struggling after 20 games or so, then send him down.  (which I doubt would ever be an issue)

My feelings exactly.

I believe he discussed his size issue with Marty St. Louis (can't remember where I read that), and he advised Gaudreau that his size was made him effective; don't try to add upper body mass; work on core strength and leg strength. Upper body strength might actually hinder his game.

Why rush him?

If he shows that he is ready in camp and during the preseason then give him a shot, but if there are any concerns give him some time in the AHL. 

Playing in the AHL gives him time to get used to the pro lifestyle and pro game. It also gives him time to learn new systems without the spotlight. 

There is no harm for him to go to the AHL and prove that he belongs in the NHL. There is potential for disaster in bringing him to the NHL before he is ready.

Why rush him?

If he shows that he is ready in camp and during the preseason then give him a shot, but if there are any concerns give him some time in the AHL. 

Playing in the AHL gives him time to get used to the pro lifestyle and pro game. It also gives him time to learn new systems without the spotlight. 

There is no harm for him to go to the AHL and prove that he belongs in the NHL. There is potential for disaster in bringing him to the NHL before he is ready.

Two very good points for both sides of this issue.

Honestly I find myself going back and forth regarding where Gaudreau should play to begin the season.  Ultimately though it all boils down to one person, that being Johnny himself.  If he can come into camp in good shape and ready to play then he has every chance of making the team.  Its entirely up to him.  This is one of those situations where fence sitting is not a bad thing.  On one hand you can cheer and root for him to make the team and on the other hand if he's not ready then starting in the A is not the end of the world.

These are exciting times for us Flame Fans.  We have a good portion of the cupboards filled and within those assets we have a couple of potential superstars.  Whatever management chooses to do with these assets I'm sure the decisions made will be for the best interest of the team and development of these players.

My feelings exactly.

I believe he discussed his size issue with Marty St. Louis (can't remember where I read that), and he advised Gaudreau that his size was made him effective; don't try to add upper body mass; work on core strength and leg strength. Upper body strength might actually hinder his game.

I read that too. It might have been in the Harold or the Sun, or just a Gaudreau article on here. 

Moderators should have the like link too. I noticed they all don't. I don't get to like their comments unless I quote them, but I liked S4xon's comment and agree, like you.

I don't disagree about learning to take a hit properly.  I guess I just see the AHL littered with more goons than the NHL.  In other words, guys that can't even make it in the NHL as goons.  Or older, ex-NHL 'ers who have nothing better to do that hit.

I hope he has what it takes to play in the NHL, and hope that coaching/management make a decision that is fair to him as a prospect, while looking at his long-term wellfare.  If that is the NHL, then they feel he is best served playing on the big club.  Burke will be likely the last one to agree to it.    

But can he be one of those players who just never gets hit? Is that still a thing? There are players who hardly ever get hit. Do they not hit in college hockey?

My feelings exactly.

8c0a4a6b930d237262a11ea7929ff657.png

Will Smith Once told Eminem Back in 1997 that Eminem will either become the biggest flop, or the biggest thing ever in hip hop. I feel the same can be applied to Johnny.  He will either become a huge bust, or a big star in the nhl. I watch an interview with the Boston College head coach. He said that to be a strong hockey player you have to be strong on your skates. He continued by explaining that players like crosby and st Louis are strong players because they are strong on their skates making them very difficult to knock off the puck. He declared that Johnny is a Strong hockey player because he too is difficult to knock off the puck. Interesting point of view. 

Will Smith Once told Eminem Back in 1997 that Eminem will either become the biggest flop, or the biggest thing ever in hip hop. I feel the same can be applied to Johnny.  He will either become a huge bust, or a big star in the nhl. I watch an interview with the Boston College head coach. He said that to be a strong hockey player you have to be strong on your skates. He continued by explaining that players like crosby and st Louis are strong players because they are strong on their skates making them very difficult to knock off the puck. He declared that Johnny is a Strong hockey player because he too is difficult to knock off the puck. Interesting point of view. 

Having a low center of gravity helps a player of his size; less upper body strength is required.  He relies on his edges to get him into scoring position and out of trouble spots. 

As I have said before playing college hockey is playing against big strong men not kids like WHL and Qmhl or OHL the men he play against are18 to 20 and play to win they don't play tag they will if they can mangle you. Johnny G exceled against them and I know he will excel in the NHL he will never look back and I think win the rookie of the yr.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about this comparison for awhile...

How do you guys think Gaudreau compares to Maxim Afinogenov?

How about Pawel Bure?  Similar number of games the season prior to playing in the NHL.  Small-ish speedster.  Gifted.

EDIT:  Wasn't trying to make it sound like JH will have a career similar to Bure.  I just think that both have that slippery characteristic and both are fast.

I still see Patrick Kane as the best comparison to Gaudreau style wise. I think Afinogenov and Bure were players who used their speed to attack offensively, Gaudreau uses quickness and agility to attack offensively.

Im surprised no one has used the obvious comparison with JHG and thats Paul Karyia, both have traveled simular roads to the NHL, both as we all know had simular numbers in College and both were smaller players... thankfully Scott Stevens is retired and won't be out there to run a train on JHG but I think he is going to have to be cautious and have lady luck on his side to avoid a simular fate. The kid has all the skill in the world and I think we will hear his name up there with some of the best players in the game in a couple of years, just hope he keeps his head on a swivel.

Gaudreau has elite skills - he will be far more impactful than MA

Kane (with the puck) and Datsyuk (without the puck) are better examples of the way he plays. Whether he can achieve their levels of success is yet to be seen, of course.

TSN predicts Johnny Gaudreau to score 23 goals and 32 assists; that is Calder territory.

Congrats to Johnny "The Gaudfather" Hockey Gaudreau on making the team out of camp and being on the opening night roster.  That #13 Gaudreau will sell quite a few jerseys this year.  No pressure kid.  We have faith that you will do your best.  Whatever that is this year.  To quote a movie line, "Do that voodoo that you do, so well".

Go Johnny Go.

http://thenationnetwork.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/images/30/09/article_3009a110-0ac2-42d9-9000-6d658b88b0a1.jpg

TSN predicts Johnny Gaudreau to score 23 goals and 32 assists; that is Calder territory.

Congrats to Johnny "The Gaudfather" Hockey Gaudreau on making the team out of camp and being on the opening night roster.  That #13 Gaudreau will sell quite a few jerseys this year.  No pressure kid.  We have faith that you will do your best.  Whatever that is this year.  To quote a movie line, "Do that voodoo that you do, so well".

Go Johnny Go.

http://thenationnetwork.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/images/30/09/article_3009a110-0ac2-42d9-9000-6d658b88b0a1.jpg

pretty good prediction

Is there a Timmie's at the Dome?  If so, I think they should run a special on Timbits tonight (watch the video below, from 0:24 - 0:37)

http://globalnews.ca/video/1603785/flames-make-final-cuts

I hope that mony is good to go tonight so we can see the Timmie's Trio.  Much more exciting than a Johnny - Byron - Jones trio; sounds like a rock band from the sixties.

5 Games no points, I think its time to send Johnny back down his not ready for NHL yet. Sven deserves a shots....

Thoughts?

He is showing progress. I would keep him up for a bit longer. But if he doesn't get his swagger back by game 10 then it's time to send him to the A to figure things out.

I think the fact that Gaudreau is putting in the time to learn Hartley is okay with that. He's Hartley's new project. I wish they treated Baertschi that way too.