The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
s4xon

Johnny 'Hockey' Gaudreau

16 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How many points will Johnny Hockey score in his sophomore season?

• 40-50
    • 50-60
    • 60-70
    • 70-80
    • 80-90
    • 90-100
    • 100+

I agree with Kethatch. If after 10 games he still doesn't seem like he's progressing then you send him down. The thing is though he hasn't really looked out of place, he just hasn't had any puck luck. At this point I still think he needs to remain with the team and that the points will come for him. Let's be honest I don't think anyone here thought he was going to be lighting it up and being the Flames top point producer. If you did, well then I could see why you would be souring on Gaudreau.

• Like 1

I see he's not even in the lineup tonight....hurt, sick, or healthy scratch?

I was SUCH a big supporter of Johhny playing in Calgary this year, but 5 games in from what I have seen...he's just not quite there yet.

I think the season in Adirondack would help him get more experience playing against real pro's, and big guys....this ain't no College Hockey,

I also think Johnny is the kind of guy that you need to play in a top 6, scoring role....his offensive skills is why he's here, it's not on display very much on the 3rd line.

I see he's not even in the lineup tonight....hurt, sick, or healthy scratch?

I was SUCH a big supporter of Johhny playing in Calgary this year, but 5 games in from what I have seen...he's just not quite there yet.

I think the season in Adirondack would help him get more experience playing against real pro's, and big guys....this ain't no College Hockey,

I also think Johnny is the kind of guy that you need to play in a top 6, scoring role....his offensive skills is why he's here, it's not on display very much on the 3rd line.

In college he only had to play one maybe two games in a week, much different in the NHL.

Calgary's 3rd line isn't a traditional shut down 3rd line, putting Gaudreau on the 3rd line is more about managing his minutes, and being able to hide him against weaker competition.

I actually think sitting Gaudreau tonight is a good thing, this is a long road trip and he hasn't gotten off to a good start, so let him watch from the press box and get a breather. He will come out strong the next game.

In college he only had to play one maybe two games in a week, much different in the NHL.

Calgary's 3rd line isn't a traditional shut down 3rd line, putting Gaudreau on the 3rd line is more about managing his minutes, and being able to hide him against weaker competition.

I actually think sitting Gaudreau tonight is a good thing, this is a long road trip and he hasn't gotten off to a good start, so let him watch from the press box and get a breather. He will come out strong the next game.

I am of the belief that he needs to play with skill guys like Mony and Hudler. That is the line they should give the softest minutes to, because it could have 3 weapons on it. Raymond is a good player on LW, so why play Johnny on RW and expect results?

No issue sitting the guy. Just don't "Baertschi" the kid.

Now the OP, mentioned giving Sven a call up? WHY???? Let him earn his spot up here. Gaudreau is here cause he earned a spot! Jooris,Grandlund, Ferland all deserve a call up before Sven. Reality is he was given the same opportunity as the others and simply got out played!!! Earn your way back.  

I don't view sitting JH tonight as bad but as a progression of growth to become a better player. He has great hockey IQ and has yet to fail at any level. IMO there has been so much focus on the D that he sometimes forgets how good he is on the O. Seen glimpses of it in Chi. If any thing is troubling you sit JH and put int Grats. Not sure what offensive outburst he brings 

I am of the belief that he needs to play with skill guys like Mony and Hudler. That is the line they should give the softest minutes to, because it could have 3 weapons on it. Raymond is a good player on LW, so why play Johnny on RW and expect results?

No issue sitting the guy. Just don't "Baertschi" the kid.

Monahan and Hudler are Calgary's defacto 1st line and are going to see the top checking units from the other team, that's why you don't put Gaudreau on that line at this point in time.

Now the OP, mentioned giving Sven a call up? WHY???? Let him earn his spot up here. Gaudreau is here cause he earned a spot! Jooris,Grandlund, Ferland all deserve a call up before Sven. Reality is he was given the same opportunity as the others and simply got out played!!! Earn your way back.  

I don't view sitting JH tonight as bad but as a progression of growth to become a better player. He has great hockey IQ and has yet to fail at any level. IMO there has been so much focus on the D that he sometimes forgets how good he is on the O. Seen glimpses of it in Chi. If any thing is troubling you sit JH and put int Grats. Not sure what offensive outburst he brings

His best shifts in the Chicago game came after Setoguch was moved onto a line with him and Johnny moved back to LW. The only problem with that was the play never got going in the right direction.

Seems like a no-brainer to me. Play him with a RHS RW (Jooris??) or at least a RW that has been successful there (Hudler). What may be cooincidental is that Johnny dried up offensively when Jooris was demoted and they tried him on a line with another LW playing RW (Raymond) or playing RW.

Monahan and Hudler are Calgary's defacto 1st line and are going to see the top checking units from the other team, that's why you don't put Gaudreau on that line at this point in time.

If that is the case, why put a guy in his 1st NHL game on the line and move Hudler to LW? I think the Backlund line is actually our 1st line, though. Regardless, play him in his natural position with players of similar skill level. Or sit him if you think Bouma (in a cage) and McGrattan's 5 minutes a game add scoring to the already low-scoring effort.

EDIT - I seem to be sounding like too much of a Johnny fan. He will become a great player in the NHL at some point, just get frustrated with some of the line-ups I have seen used. Could be worse; we could be Oilers fans. :)

If that is the case, why put a guy in his 1st NHL game on the line and move Hudler to LW? I think the Backlund line is actually our 1st line, though. Regardless, play him in his natural position with players of similar skill level. Or sit him if you think Bouma (in a cage) and McGrattan's 5 minutes a game add scoring to the already low-scoring effort.

EDIT - I seem to be sounding like too much of a Johnny fan. He will become a great player in the NHL at some point, just get frustrated with some of the line-ups I have seen used. Could be worse; we could be Oilers fans. :)

Jooris is different in that he is 24 and is in his 2nd pro season. Gaudreau is fresh out of college where they play half the amount of games. Playing him in less minutes is more about making sure he doesn't get worn out.

Before Hudler was moved to RW last year he played most if his career at LW.

I will agree that I don't see the benefit of playing McGrattan, I would rather Setoguchi get in tonight.

I still think Gaudreau sitting tonight is a good thing. Also he couldn't be scratched versus the Blackhawks because Calgary didn't have enough healthy bodies.

The press box is where he belongs...  for now.....

Let him sit a game out, and learn the system. He was use to playing a different system for 3 years for crying out loud. He needs to learn the system. I agree with the motive on sending him down after 10 games if he hasn't produced. That would benefit him. IMO hes on the cusp of scoring/putting up points, but it just hasn't worked out for him. Give him time and he will produce points.

The press box is where he belongs...  for now.....

Let him sit a game out, and learn the system. He was use to playing a different system for 3 years for crying out loud. He needs to learn the system. I agree with the motive on sending him down after 10 games if he hasn't produced. That would benefit him. IMO hes on the cusp of scoring/putting up points, but it just hasn't worked out for him. Give him time and he will produce points.

A little premature don't ya think? He has played limited minutes (Bouma minutes) with mostly one linemate; Colborne. He has played on the wrong wing. He doesn't have much PP time. He has never played with Mony/Hudler or Backlund. Jooris walks into the lineup on the Mony/Hudler line and gets PP time. He earned it as the night progressed, but he was initially gifted it. I think Jooris could be the surprise of the team this year, but you have to be fair and give other players the same chance. Seto had that chance, even if limited.

In pre-season, Johnny QB'd the PP and looked effective doing so. He played with Mony or Bennet and showed some flash. He had Jooris as a RW and looked good. Take the players you have and construct the best lineup you can. If that means sitting Bollig, Bouma, McGrattan and anyone else, you do it. If the Jets ice Buff, then you bring in Bollig. If not, use Bouma. Skill needs to win out over brawn.

This is an arms race. You play guys that give you the best chance to win, not just the best chance to win a fight. If they dress skill guys, dress skill guys. If John Scott pays, dress Gratts and Bollig, but on different lines. If they play a hacker, dress Bouma to take care of him.

Gaudreau is fresh out of college where they play half the amount of games. Playing him in less minutes is more about making sure he doesn't get worn out.

That's been my arguement for giving him a year in the AHL to get used to the sheer # of games. I still see it that way.

• Like 1

Agreed, I too felt he should have played this season in the AHL to develop his game in the pros and get used to bigger, faster players, and the longer schedule..

But, if he is to stay with the Flames, then I believe that he needs to be playing top 6 minutes.

That's my personal take on Johnny Gaudreau; he will either become a first or second line NHL LW or a bust (perennial AHL player).

If he can't produce playing with the top talent on this team very soon, then he should be sent to Adirondack until he can up his game.

I am willing to give our prospects as much development time in the minors as required.

I do not want us to rush our prospects like Edmonton does.

I am hoping Hartley will put Johnny on different lines just to test him out before he sends him back down.

Putting him with Backs is putting him on a different line. That is technically the 1st or 2nd line. Mind you, he still is playing with Raymond. And Stajan plays between GlenX and Setoguchi, so it's anybody's guess which is the 1-3rd lines.

It will be interesting to see a high-possession C playing with Johnny. Backs and Raymond can both fly, so it may be an exciting line. You will probably see Stajan's line take more off the brunt of defensive responsibilities.

A little premature don't ya think? He has played limited minutes (Bouma minutes) with mostly one linemate; Colborne. He has played on the wrong wing. He doesn't have much PP time. He has never played with Mony/Hudler or Backlund. Jooris walks into the lineup on the Mony/Hudler line and gets PP time. He earned it as the night progressed, but he was initially gifted it. I think Jooris could be the surprise of the team this year, but you have to be fair and give other players the same chance. Seto had that chance, even if limited.

In pre-season, Johnny QB'd the PP and looked effective doing so. He played with Mony or Bennet and showed some flash. He had Jooris as a RW and looked good. Take the players you have and construct the best lineup you can. If that means sitting Bollig, Bouma, McGrattan and anyone else, you do it. If the Jets ice Buff, then you bring in Bollig. If not, use Bouma. Skill needs to win out over brawn.

This is an arms race. You play guys that give you the best chance to win, not just the best chance to win a fight. If they dress skill guys, dress skill guys. If John Scott pays, dress Gratts and Bollig, but on different lines. If they play a hacker, dress Bouma to take care of him.

LOL you miss read what I said buddy. I said bench him for one game....... Not the whole season. 

LOL you miss read what I said buddy. I said bench him for one game....... Not the whole season.

Well it doesn't matter so much right now, but I was referring to two things you said:

• sitting in the press box for now (after he had already sat out)
  • the "10 game" limit you seemed to be setting.

Maybe you weren't implying that he should be sent down, but it came off that way.  Hartley gave him 43 seconds of PP time and he scored. He played with Backlund and sets up another goal.

The kid has talent, I just don't know if with a healthy roster and players in their proper places he should be up. I think they need to put Colborne back out on a wing preferably RW, then get the C positions addressed with the right players. I think you need to play Raymond, Hudler and Glencross as your LWers. Eventually you would have Colborne, Jones, Setoguchi and now Jooris for RW. I would think playing to their strengths you set the lines up like this.

Raymond, Backlund, Jones

Hudler, Monahan, Colborne

Glencross, Stajan, Setoguchi

Bollig, Bouma,McGrattan

You're missing Paul Byron (LW/C).

Byron has played some RW this season and IMO has been better at it than Jones, Setoguchi & McGratten.

Those 3 have played poorly so far, which is probably one reason Gaudreau has also played some RW this year.

Hudler and Colborne are both natural LWs who during their careers, have moved to C, then RW.

The difference is that Hudler has had much more experience at all 3 positions, especially RW with Calgary.

• Like 1

Something I don't get is, why hasn't Gaudreau been given more PP or 4-on-4 time? He has the tools to utilize the open ice. Every time I saw an OT for us, I never say Gaudreau on the ice once. How much PP time has he had so far? Was it just the one time when he scored?

I guess he has to pay his dues...

Something I don't get is, why hasn't Gaudreau been given more PP or 4-on-4 time? He has the tools to utilize the open ice. Every time I saw an OT for us, I never say Gaudreau on the ice once. How much PP time has he had so far? Was it just the one time when he scored?

I guess he has to pay his dues...

Well you will like the fact that last game he had as many minutes as Raymond. I'm more concerned about being stuck on RW. He played through it in fine style. He also played with less than 5 minutes left in the game. Mind you, it was a safe lead. He seems to have some chemistry with Raymond so far.

He will get a little better minutes on the homestand. More opportunity to set the lines. I would like to see some time with Mony and Hudler or Mony and Colborne. I'll ignore the "play Colborne on LW" because he has had success on the Flames on RW and at C. More so at C this C than last year.

Johnny will continue to play as long as he gives it his all. The coach is somewhat forgiving since he has to find space on the ice. He is playing both ends of the ice.

• Like 1

As long as I am seeing progress I have no issues with how they are developing him. If he can figure it out on RW that is a big plus for the Flames. If they want to get him to focus on his overall game the PP isn't the right place for him yet.

I disagree, I think the PP is the place for him. It allows him to find space and grow confidence. The rest of his offense will follow. 

I disagree, I think the PP is the place for him. It allows him to find space and grow confidence. The rest of his offense will follow.

Eventually. But he knows how to play on the PP. Right now that is a distraction on where the coaches want his focus.

My point isn't that he shouldn't be on the PP. I would be fine with him on it. It's that he is progressing so what the coaching staff is doing is working.