The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
s4xon

Johnny 'Hockey' Gaudreau

16 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How many points will Johnny Hockey score in his sophomore season?

• 40-50
    • 50-60
    • 60-70
    • 70-80
    • 80-90
    • 90-100
    • 100+

The PP definitely helped his offensive game. Around 43 seconds and he has his 1st goal. His next shift, he threads a perfect pass to a streaking Raymond for another point. His development will come over time. He will want to accelerate it, but it will be managed for him. No issues if he is moving forward. His last game had him blow coverage on a faceoff, but that comes from losing his way on RW. That will come, assuming he continues on RW.

The lineup is starting to gel, without having 3 face-punchers in the lineup every night. Jooris brings more than Setoguchi, so I think he will stay up for awhile. Given his compete level, that seems a natural fit. He could also be swapped for Ferland, just to be fair for both players.

Some of the prospects are starting to make noise. Granlund is making a push, as is Ferland.

• Like 1

I'd much rather see Gaudreau play on the LW, period, end of story.

LW is where the guy belongs. Why mess with it. While he was effective on LW against the Jets, it forces him to turn away from the grain to make a perfect pass. That exposes him to hits.

I know you don't agree with it, but I think keeping Joe away from LW benefits the team because it gives them more options. He played well on Mony's RW. This year he has done ok at C. His FO% are up there.

Maybe the mods will retire that other Johnny Hockey thread. This one has been used for some time, while the other was a knee-jerk reaction to not scoring in 5 games. Johnny's here to stay, unless he PO's the coach.

• Like 1

LW is where the guy belongs. Why mess with it. While he was effective on LW against the Jets, it forces him to turn away from the grain to make a perfect pass. That exposes him to hits.

I know you don't agree with it, but I think keeping Joe away from LW benefits the team because it gives them more options. He played well on Mony's RW. This year he has done ok at C. His FO% are up there.

Maybe the mods will retire that other Johnny Hockey thread. This one has been used for some time, while the other was a knee-jerk reaction to not scoring in 5 games. Johnny's here to stay, unless he PO's the coach.

The new thread was merged with the old one and moved here to Flames Talk section..  No sense in having 2 Johnny threads going. 

Hopefully his time in the press box enlightened his senses as to the overall picture of the game, paying attention to how entries are performed, as to how assertive he's going to need to be going forward, etc.  His 2 point game shed some light on just how skilled he his, I only hope this drives him to compete harder and take more chances going forward. 

"While he was effective on LW against the Jets, it forces him to turn away from the grain to make a perfect pass."

Did you mean to say RW? 

"While he was effective on LW against the Jets, it forces him to turn away from the grain to make a perfect pass."

Did you mean to say RW? 

Yes, I meant RW. The assist he had was a result of being on the RW boards. He could have been flattened if he hadn't got the pass away on time. 

Good, at first I thought I was reading it wrong, or you had changed your mind about JG on the LW.

Even though I'd love to see Colborne on LW, I'd rather have Gaudreau learn the NHL game at his natural position.

Coaching sees a reason to put him on the right side. I'm good with that. There are a lot more variables that they're watching a lot closer than I am.

Coaching sees a reason to put him on the right side. I'm good with that. There are a lot more variables that they're watching a lot closer than I am.

With so few right shot forwards on this team some players are going to have to play on their off wing. I think you are seeing Gaudreau on his off wing because he is able to make skilled plays on his back hand that few on this team are able to. Is it ideal no, but you do the best you can with what you have.

I posted this elsewhere, but the post fits this discussion....

Many LHS's have good positioning when they make a pass from the off-swing. On the Raymond goal, I believe Johnny cut back a bit, then made the pass on his forehand. I worry less about that type of play and more about doing it on a breakout, while a forechecker is barrelling in on you. You have your back to the play. On LW, he is facing the right direction, so chance of surprise is less.

I think Hartley is looking for options. If Johnny lights it up on LW, then Hartley doen't have to bother with the other options. He may also be using him on the wrong wing to force him to shoot far corner or cut into the center to do a deke.

I find it funny that I have never seen Johnny take a slapper. Wristers, tips and dekes. Never even a snap shot. Weird, hey?

Thanks for that. Johnny cuts back a lot, for now, on both sides.

He just has to keep his feet moving and he won't get caught by surprise from the backcheck.

As for no slapshots, the windup is a giant telegraph.

He's crafty, he'll grow into this league well I believe.

Thanks for that. Johnny cuts back a lot, for now, on both sides.

He just has to keep his feet moving and he won't get caught by surprise from the backcheck.

As for no slapshots, the windup is a giant telegraph.

He's crafty, he'll grow into this league well I believe.

I would like to see him develop the snap-shot. It was one of Joe Sakic's signature shots. Super difficult to pick up by the goalie.

Evaded two Lightning players and caused them to run into each other. Like a greased pig, not that he's ugly though.

From what I've seen, his comparables could be from Patrick Kane-lite to Max Afinogenov to Kyle Wellwood....

The kid has talent, I just don't know if with a healthy roster and players in their proper places he should be up. I think they need to put Colborne back out on a wing preferably RW, then get the C positions addressed with the right players. I think you need to play Raymond, Hudler and Glencross as your LWers. Eventually you would have Colborne, Jones, Setoguchi and now Jooris for RW. I would think playing to their strengths you set the lines up like this.

Raymond, Backlund, Jones

Hudler, Monahan, Colborne

Glencross, Stajan, Setoguchi

Bollig, Bouma,McGrattan

Can't agree at all.  First off, whatever the roster, we should be moving to put forward the best possible roster, with the best payers.  Under any scenario I see JH in that line-up..

Secondly, for now, our...

RW: Hudler, Colbourne, Jones/Setoguchi/Jooris

LW: Glencross, JH, Raymond, Bollig

C: Backlund, Monahan, Stajan, Bouma

This is where they have played with the Flames:

LW/C/RW = Hudler, Colborne, Byron, Bouma

LW/RW = Raymond, Gaudreau

LW = Bollig, Glencross

C = Backlund, Monahan, Stajan

RW = Jones, Setoguchi, McGratten

LW/C/RW = Glencross, Colborne, Byron, Bouma

LW/RW = Raymond, Gaudreau, Hudler

LW = Bollig

RW = Jones, Setoguchi, McGrattan

Fixed it for you, to the best of my knowledge Hudler has never played center for Calgary. A few years back Glencross was tried out at center for a short period.

LW/C/RW = Hudler, Colborne, Byron, Bouma

LW/RW = Raymond, Gaudreau

LW = Bollig, Glencross

RW = Jones, Setoguchi, McGratten

Don't forget Jooris.  Played both NHL games on RW. Played one pre-season game on LW.

"Fixed it for you, to the best of my knowledge Hudler has never played center for Calgary. A few years back Glencross was tried out at center for a short period."

You may be right.

Hudler played LW & C in Detroit for sure and  LW & RW in Calgary.

I seem to recall him at C for a few games during his first season with the Flames, but I may be mistaken.

I don't recall Glencross ever playing C or RW, but I'll take your word for it.

"Fixed it for you, to the best of my knowledge Hudler has never played center for Calgary. A few years back Glencross was tried out at center for a short period."

You may be right.

Hudler played LW & C in Detroit for sure and LW & RW in Calgary.

I seem to recall him at C for a few games during his first season with the Flames, but I may be mistaken.

I don't recall Glencross ever playing C or RW, but I'll take your word for it.

Glencross was tried at center for like a 3 game period a few years ago, it failed miserably. He has played RW off and on through the years.

Glencross was tried at center for like a 3 game period a few years ago, it failed miserably. He has played RW off and on through the years.

I would like to think the days of trying wingers at C is done with.  We are "rich" with C.  I had to laugh seeing Johnny take a few draws over the past few games.  2/3 or something like that.  Not my first choice for a guy coming in to the circle, but didn't fail miserably.

In a perfect world, you have two C's per line; one as a backup if the real one gets tossed.   

I would like to think the days of trying wingers at C is done with.  We are "rich" with C.  I had to laugh seeing Johnny take a few draws over the past few games.  2/3 or something like that.  Not my first choice for a guy coming in to the circle, but didn't fail miserably.

In a perfect world, you have two C's per line; one as a backup if the real one gets tossed.   

Yeah, I saw that last game.  I was a little scared for the kid.  Looked like David against Goliath in the dot.  The kid is quick though and managed to snag the puck backwards with a little spin move before the other guy could blink.  Benefits of being 160 lbs.

He's a patrick kane clone. A smaller weaker version yes, but he plays just like kane. He's slowly learning how to create space for himself, and set up plays for his team mates. He just needs to improve his positioning without the puck, and he will be successful.