The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
s4xon

Johnny 'Hockey' Gaudreau

16 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How many points will Johnny Hockey score in his sophomore season?

• 40-50
    • 50-60
    • 60-70
    • 70-80
    • 80-90
    • 90-100
    • 100+

He's a patrick kane clone. A smaller weaker version yes, but he plays just like kane. He's slowly learning how to create space for himself, and set up plays for his team mates. He just needs to improve his positioning without the puck, and he will be successful.

OK, hockey question here. When Gaudreau's on D standing at the top of the box looking around for someone to take, how far doe he go to pick up a man versus maintain his spot at the top of the box? Often I see him standing looking around when an opposition player goes by about 10-15 feet away, open. Should he take him or not?

OK, hockey question here. When Gaudreau's on D standing at the top of the box looking around for someone to take, how far doe he go to pick up a man versus maintain his spot at the top of the box? Often I see him standing looking around when an opposition player goes by about 10-15 feet away, open. Should he take him or not?

The Flames don't play man-to-man defense so Gaudreau needs to stay in the box and play zone defense while expanding/collapsing the box in sync with the rest of the team. 

The Flames don't play man-to-man defense so Gaudreau needs to stay in the box and play zone defense while expanding/collapsing the box in sync with the rest of the team. 

Ok thanks. Many times he's in position and the opposition skate just outside the box. They're probably trying to pull him out of positio or overload one side to break it down. In terms of coverage it's interesting, especially when trying to evaluate what makes a play work, or a breakdown to happen and finding the correct player responsible.

I find that speed and quickness overcome lots of poor position inning and errors, and the Flames seem to be getting faster and quicker which is one of the thins helping the team out day in and day out.

The kid is quite good but he is going to get keyed on soon. If we don't have someone to protect him and start paying forward some retrubution for the cheap shots, it will end up in the kid getting injuried.

The kid is quite good but he is going to get keyed on soon. If we don't have someone to protect him and start paying forward some retrubution for the cheap shots, it will end up in the kid getting injuried.

Pretty hard to key on him when you cant catch him.

BB: Skill between BEEF!

Don't think so. JHG, is not afraid to go to the dirty areas. He is aware of the opponents and dodges many hits. We need to stop to talk him small, because he already adjusted to the NHL in a great way.

• Like 1

Don't think so. JHG, is not afraid to go to the dirty areas. He is aware of the opponents and dodges many hits. We need to stop to talk him small, because he already adjusted to the NHL in a great way.

This ^^^

The only restrictions anyone should be placing on him is from the coaches with ice time. Hartley can decide of he should be playing against certain other teams lines.

By the Hammer of Thor... I just want to take a minute to say I TOLD YOU SO LOL.

This kid is money muwhahahaha!

Go Johnny Go, GO!

Johnny be Good......

By the Hammer of Thor... I just want to take a minute to say I TOLD YOU SO LOL.

This kid is money muwhahahaha!

This ^^^

The only restrictions anyone should be placing on him is from the coaches with ice time. Hartley can decide of he should be playing against certain other teams lines.

Bang on. Hartley sees what goes on. He can adjust to meet the opposition if required. Johnny will bail when he sees a potential situation (quick pass then don't stop looking at it). His natural LW position has given him a better perspective on the play, because he is used to it.

The only two pieces of advice I have for him are:

1) Skate, Johnny, skate. (skate your heart out, get in get out)

2) Stop, Johnny, stop. (don't use the boards to stop, slow the game down every once in awhile)

Um.....

Look.  JHG is absolutely amazing.  I think we're all at a point where we can say he's the real thing.

But, did I just read an entire page of people agreeing that we shouldn't think he's small?

Er....  good luck with that.

1.  He's the real thing.  And that's a FANTASTIC problem to have.

2.  He's the real thing.  So the team needs to get bigger.  Now.

He's the real thing, he's a fan favourite, he's practically untouchable, and at very worst, he's part of the core.  At best, he's our best player and potentially will become one of the NHL's best players.

That's all great.   But he's still small.

It's not even a debate:  We need to get bigger.   You don't wait until a guy like that gets injured and then say "oh, well I wish we had gotten bigger".   It's not about whether he can or can't handle it.  It's about risk mitigation.  Period. 

We don't need to get bigger because we doubt his abilities.  That ship's sailed.  We need to get bigger because he's worth it.

I did a bit of editing for you.

Nice. Kind of shows how he is able to avoid some hits.

JJ, your points about getting bigger are slightly misdirected. We don't need to get bigger to protect Johnny from the big bad NHL wolves. We need to be tougher on opposing teams. If the goalie is run, then you need to kick up a stink. If Johnny gets taken down by two players, then whoever is on the ice needs to step up.Gio does it, Smid does it, Stajan does it, GlenX used to do it. Setoguchi needs to do it. Jooris can do it. Bouma will do it.

I'm not in favour of dressing Bollig, Engelland and Bollig if they aren't going to hit, dig and punish. DB's like Volchenkov need to be dealt with right away. Send a message that we don't take crap. Immediately. When Stajan was knee'd, there was immediate reaction.

Is he the next "St. Louis" of Calgary but we won't give up on him this time because he is small?

I would say he is a fan favorite right now. He is getting the ice time to shine. He will have up and down games, but his up games are something to behold. He basically got a standing O for the little snipe goal he scored. His teammates talk about his talent. The coach smiles when he talks about him. Hartley is also commending his play without the puck. He leads (at least he was) the league in takeaways. Ahead of Ryan O'Reilly. He has zero penalty minutes.

Even TSN, who usually trashes or laughs at Calgary, is getting on the bandwagon. The Toronto Sports Network talking about Calgary, calling him Johnny Hockey! Not much chance he suffers from St. Louis treatment.

JJ, your points about getting bigger are slightly misdirected.

No, no they are not lol.  Let's be clear, we need to get bigger. 

I never brought up Engelland, or Bollig, or anyone else for that matter, other than JHG on this JHG thread.  You make some good points about being tougher on the opposing team, and not just dressing big players for the sake of dressing big players.

That's all true.

But we need to get bigger to do all those things.

I've had a chance to see Johnny up close this season, including the Montreal game. He's very shifty and wiry. Not an easy target to hit and most guys would miss his head with their shoulders. Let's not forget that he has the physique of a 9th grader, but he's made it through almost a dozen NHL games competing with the best of them. Of course there's the hacking and slashing stickwork but being bigger as a team or having more goons I don't think will be effective because of the instigator. Most NHLers, if it means getting a man advantage, don't mind getting their checking from behind handed to them after cheapshotting someone. In the end, the best of them make it through in spite of the slashing.

Anyway, the comparisons to St. Louis - I remember St. Louis. He did not make this type of impact in a Flames jersey ever. Let's not forget that he required a fair amount of time in the minors for some seasoning, but the Flames brass at the time knew exactly what they had. It was top prospect inspector Craig Button who came in and decided he wasn't going to amount to anything. In reality, however, his numbers at the time were not overly impressive - somewhat comparable to a Steve Begin.  

If Johnny can pack on 20 pounds and get into the Patrick Kane and St. Louis weight class, the sky is the limit for him. We haven't had a player with this much raw talent in a long time. Any comparisons to St. Louis then are the hockey gods correcting that dreadful move to ship him out some 12 years ago.

I never brought up Engelland, or Bollig, or anyone else for that matter, other than JHG on this JHG thread.  You make some good points about being tougher on the opposing team, and not just dressing big players for the sake of dressing big players.

That's all true.

I'm not saying he will get the St. Louis treatment. Just saying he might be a big star coming up but the Flames org won't give up on him this time like they did with St Louis.

Supposed to be for travel_dude post.

That's all true.

There is a huge difference between getting bigger, and getting bigger w/ skill.  To me Bollig, Engelland, and although he's a fan fave and I hate to say it, McGrattan are all redundant on this team.  They all take up spots for those with more skill, who are faster, and could contribute offensively. 

None of these guys fit any of the category listed, especially with the way the NHL is turning the corner.

As for Johnny, he's johnny.  He's not a reason to get bigger or smaller.  He's a single player with immense skill.  Burke said surround guys like him with beef.  So far he's played the best with Byron and Hudler.  Irony at it's finest.