The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
s4xon

Johnny 'Hockey' Gaudreau

16 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How many points will Johnny Hockey score in his sophomore season?

• 40-50
    • 50-60
    • 60-70
    • 70-80
    • 80-90
    • 90-100
    • 100+

No, no they are not lol.  Let's be clear, we need to get bigger. 

I never brought up Engelland, or Bollig, or anyone else for that matter, other than JHG on this JHG thread.  You make some good points about being tougher on the opposing team, and not just dressing big players for the sake of dressing big players.

That's all true.

But we need to get bigger to do all those things.

So we have Jooris, Ferland, GlenX, Bouma, Jones, Smid, Gio and Wideman that can hit and punch someone if necessary. They are trying to balance out skill against knocking someone's block off for hitting our team.

The guys I listed can take on all but the heavyweights or the John Scott's (who are fewer and fewer every day).

I just don't know who these mystery "bigger" guys you want us to bring in. Jay Rosehill? Big Buff? I'm all for making Calgary a place teams dread coming, but that starts from the defence. Regher struck fear in Hemsky's eyes. Phaneuf used to love open-ice hits. The ship has sailed on those two. Maybe we ask Engelland to hit every player that blows by him. Or Gio sticks up for his teammates like Smid did for Stajan. Or we bring up Seilof and ask him to hit everything that moves.

The point is JH is starting to take shots that are not part of hockey plays. Watch past the play, puck is on the net JOnes takes the liberty to finishs his check,. Than watch as the play goes into the corner, Volchenkov takes some shots on him as well. Took a very good slash on the Hudler goal as well.  I don't believe he gets hurt from a hit but an incidental after wards is a concern.

Pretty hard to key on him when you cant catch him.

There is little game film on Gaudreau as yet. When teams note his tendancies he becomes more vulnerable.

The other teams have certainly started to target Gaudreau after the play and after the whistle.  I don't think you need to play him with a monster.  But neither of Granlund or Byron can back him up. 

There is a huge difference between getting bigger, and getting bigger w/ skill.  To me Bollig, Engelland, and although he's a fan fave and I hate to say it, McGrattan are all redundant on this team.  They all take up spots for those with more skill, who are faster, and could contribute offensively. 

None of these guys fit any of the category listed, especially with the way the NHL is turning the corner.

As for Johnny, he's johnny.  He's not a reason to get bigger or smaller.  He's a single player with immense skill.  Burke said surround guys like him with beef.  So far he's played the best with Byron and Hudler.  Irony at it's finest.

That's true. In division we only need look # Getzlaf/Perry. & that's only 1 line on 1 team.

Edmonton has skill on 1 line & size on a lower 1.

Best bet is to have players with both.

As far as Johnny G he'd look good on a line in California as any of the 3 can give him linemates with size just in case & the skill so he isn't keyed on.

We haven't the option so our best bet is to play him with whoever he has chemistry with & put out toughness on D.

• Like 1

I just don't know who these mystery "bigger" guys you want us to bring in. Jay Rosehill? Big Buff? I'm all for making Calgary a place teams dread coming, but that starts from the defence. Regher struck fear in Hemsky's eyes. Phaneuf used to love open-ice hits. The ship has sailed on those two. Maybe we ask Engelland to hit every player that blows by him. Or Gio sticks up for his teammates like Smid did for Stajan. Or we bring up Seilof and ask him to hit everything that moves.

I know you were joking about Rosehill but Buff is a good player that happens to be the size of a linebacker. He'll play on any line up front & is better then given credit for on D.

After saying that I'm not suggesting the Flames explore a trade for him.

After that you just got all facetious & tried to oversell your dislike of players occationally hitting other players in what has always been a violent game fueled by emotion.

They might as well use a nerf puck & wrap sticks in foam. Ban slapshots as even with the body armor those can hurt someone. :unsure:

That's true. In division we only need look # Getzlaf/Perry. & that's only 1 line on 1 team.

Edmonton has skill on 1 line & size on a lower 1.

Best bet is to have players with both.

As far as Johnny G he'd look good on a line in California as any of the 3 can give him linemates with size just in case & the skill so he isn't keyed on.

We haven't the option so our best bet is to play him with whoever he has chemistry with & put out toughness on D.

I don't worry about JH's size and yes I agree with JJ to a certain extent on getting bigger. However, we need to get bigger with skill. Something that's pretty hard to do in this day and age. Unless we're lucky enough to draft high I think the only way to do this is by way of trade and you can say goodbye to a prospect or 2 and a veteran to do so. Its the facts of life in a cap world unfortunately but it needs to be done. They've established a work ethic on what it means to don the Flaming C, Its now time to start establishing who your core players are going to be, then draft and trade accordingly.

Now for anyone who thinks Gaudreau shouldn't be in the NHL needs to really watch this kid play, I mean really watch him play. Yes he is small but he's got a bigger heart than most 6'5", 220 plus players. This is a kid that would be a standout on any team, as you said FF. It scares me to think what this guy can do over the next couple of years. He's a true talent and has achieved all that he has by being a small player who brings a big game.

I don't worry about JH's size and yes I agree with JJ to a certain extent on getting bigger. However, we need to get bigger with skill. Something that's pretty hard to do in this day and age. Unless we're lucky enough to draft high I think the only way to do this is by way of trade and you can say goodbye to a prospect or 2 and a veteran to do so. Its the facts of life in a cap world unfortunately but it needs to be done. They've established a work ethic on what it means to don the Flaming C, Its now time to start establishing who your core players are going to be, then draft and trade accordingly.

Now for anyone who thinks Gaudreau shouldn't be in the NHL needs to really watch this kid play, I mean really watch him play. Yes he is small but he's got a bigger heart than most 6'5", 220 plus players. This is a kid that would be a standout on any team, as you said FF. It scares me to think what this guy can do over the next couple of years. He's a true talent and has achieved all that he has by being a small player who brings a big game.

You said it in the best way possible. If his past is any indication, all doubters he had with regards to his size in every level of hockey turned into fans. NHL level of hockey is the last test for Johnny and there is no doubt in my mind that with time and patience, he will get to stardom level.

I know you were joking about Rosehill but Buff is a good player that happens to be the size of a linebacker. He'll play on any line up front & is better then given credit for on D.

After saying that I'm not suggesting the Flames explore a trade for him.

After that you just got all facetious & tried to oversell your dislike of players occationally hitting other players in what has always been a violent game fueled by emotion.

They might as well use a nerf puck & wrap sticks in foam. Ban slapshots as even with the body armor those can hurt someone. :unsure:

FF, you misread my post. I was saying we don't have that level of fear by other teams. Neuf and Ears were two of my favorite players for that reason. I was asking JJ who he thought we should bring in. And why we couldn't just get a similar response by getting our players to hit or stand up for their team.

Rosehill (in the AHL now) and Buff are two extremes; one costs nothing while the other costs too much.

There is little game film on Gaudreau as yet. When teams note his tendancies he becomes more vulnerable.

True, but if there is one thing in Johnny's favour, it is that he is not out there playing chippy, chirpy, sticky, dirty hockey. He hasn't even taken a single penalty yet. He's not out there inviting the rough stuff. Sure, he has embarassed a player or two but that has only been with his skates. Can only hope that he stays away from injury bay.

True, but if there is one thing in Johnny's favour, it is that he is not out there playing chippy, chirpy, sticky, dirty hockey. He hasn't even taken a single penalty yet. He's not out there inviting the rough stuff. Sure, he has embarassed a player or two but that has only been with his skates. Can only hope that he stays away from injury bay.

Don't want to drag this out, but he doesn't even play with the same edge as Kane, who invites the rough stuff a bit more. I am glad he is off the RW, because it left him exposed in the D zone; he would need to turn back on the neutral zone to make a decent pass. I think the hit from a Vancouver DB showed that exposure.

Ideally, he should have a skill/grit guy like Ferland on his RW. Or even Jones. Don't mind Hudler, as this line showed instant chemistry. But, TBH, I think it was Johnny and Granlund; anybody could be perfect with those two.

The other teams have certainly started to target Gaudreau after the play and after the whistle.  I don't think you need to play him with a monster.  But neither of Granlund or Byron can back him up. 

My concern as well. Flames need to make sure other teams know liberties taken against him will not be tolerated.

We have a guy who would be perfect for Gaudreau, Poirier he plays with the edge, has the skill and is one to stick up for his teammates if things start to happen. Of course this is all based on YouTube videos, never seen him live but I feel that's the kind of guy we need. Then get Bennett with that kind of game too, with a bit of muscle and strength and you have a scary line: Gaudreau - Bennett - Poirier

We have a guy who would be perfect for Gaudreau, Poirier he plays with the edge, has the skill and is one to stick up for his teammates if things start to happen. Of course this is all based on YouTube videos, never seen him live but I feel that's the kind of guy we need. Then get Bennett with that kind of game too, with a bit of muscle and strength and you have a scary line: Gaudreau - Bennett - Poirier

If they all reach their potential and continues to gain strength while playing with an edge, they can potentially turn into a dynamic top line in the next few years.

If they all reach their potential and continues to gain strength while playing with an edge, they can potentially turn into a dynamic top line in the next few years.

When was the last time Calgary had the potential for two legit top 2 lines that were interchangeable and dynamic? And of course the disclaimer is if things develop as expected or exceed expectations. Knock on wood...

When was the last time Calgary had the potential for two legit top 2 lines that were interchangeable and dynamic? And of course the disclaimer is if things develop as expected or exceed expectations. Knock on wood...

Probably a long time. Monahan's doing a pretty good job of being a 1st line center, though it limits his offensive chances somewhat. Bennet and Monahan as a 1-2 punch down the middle is an awesome future.

I really hope it materializes in front of our eyes, then we dont even need Mcdavid anymore. Just gotta put faith in the development system of the Flames and hardwork from the mentioned players.

The kids here to stay. He's increasingly getting better each game and his confidence continues to grow. Tied for third in rookie scoring too..think he's back in the Calder race!

The kids here to stay. He's increasingly getting better each game and his confidence continues to grow. Tied for third in rookie scoring too..think he's back in the Calder race!

Hobey Baker -> Calder??? Is it time to see it happen?? Go Johnny go!

Considering he quarterbacks the 2nd PP unit, I don't think there is any doubt that he is here to stay.

Leads the NHL is take-aways. Right up there is rookie points and +/-. Has played with a collection of wingers and centerman, and still shines. Leads the team in zone entries. Plays well without the puck. One of the top possession players on the Flames.

He still just averaging around 15-16 minutes per game. If he was paired with a goal-scoring RW, his numbers would take off. No offense to Hudler; his game matches Monahan's better.

It's funny that we haven't even seen Johnny playing 5v5 with Monahan. Possibly one shift, but can't be 100% sure. Probably a good thing since Mony is playing as the top line and facing some of the best players.

I think the question is who we play him with, not where should he play(AHL vs NHL).

He's in the NHL to stay, now lets see if he builds chemistry with Poirier or Ferland.

Considering he quarterbacks the 2nd PP unit, I don't think there is any doubt that he is here to stay.

Leads the NHL is take-aways. Right up there is rookie points and +/-. Has played with a collection of wingers and centerman, and still shines. Leads the team in zone entries. Plays well without the puck. One of the top possession players on the Flames.

He still just averaging around 15-16 minutes per game. If he was paired with a goal-scoring RW, his numbers would take off. No offense to Hudler; his game matches Monahan's better.

It's funny that we haven't even seen Johnny playing 5v5 with Monahan. Possibly one shift, but can't be 100% sure. Probably a good thing since Mony is playing as the top line and facing some of the best players.

I've been thinking about this too and have to wonder if Hartley sees two different roles for these guys and keeps them seperate because he wants one to focus more on shut down first and the other to worry about offense first?

If Monny is going to be a top 2 C he needs to focus on being able to play hard agaisnt top line talent, where as Johnny is used more to expose the bottom 2-3 lines with his speed and skill.

They could be a tandem later on down the road but right now are both on different development curves.

I've been thinking about this too and have to wonder if Hartley sees two different roles for these guys and keeps them seperate because he wants one to focus more on shut down first and the other to worry about offense first?

If Monny is going to be a top 2 C he needs to focus on being able to play hard agaisnt top line talent, where as Johnny is used more to expose the bottom 2-3 lines with his speed and skill.

They could be a tandem later on down the road but right now are both on different development curves.

I am actually hoping to see a line of (drool) Johnny - Bennett - Poirier. Me likey. Bennet will actually have a harder time on that line, not because of the speed, but because of playing with an edge. He has to be stronger to be effective in that role.

Future line of Sven - Monahan - Colborne works for me. Or Raymond in Sven's place. 3rd line could be Raymond - Granlund - Ferland. 4th could be Bouma - Backlund - Jooris. That is a few years away, but man that could be 4 lines of scoring.

I am actually hoping to see a line of (drool) Johnny - Bennett - Poirier. Me likey. Bennet will actually have a harder time on that line, not because of the speed, but because of playing with an edge. He has to be stronger to be effective in that role.

Future line of Sven - Monahan - Colborne works for me. Or Raymond in Sven's place. 3rd line could be Raymond - Granlund - Ferland. 4th could be Bouma - Backlund - Jooris. That is a few years away, but man that could be 4 lines of scoring.

I also see Baertschi with Monahan and Gaudreau with Bennett. There has been good chemistry there.