The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
s4xon

Johnny 'Hockey' Gaudreau

16 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How many points will Johnny Hockey score in his sophomore season?

• 40-50
    • 50-60
    • 60-70
    • 70-80
    • 80-90
    • 90-100
    • 100+

By the way, new poll in the topic heading above:

"Will Johnny win the Calder this season?"

Vote above.

An interesting fact is JG is 48th in points in the league but only has 14:43 TOI/GP Only 2 other players in the league has more points and less TOI/GP.  Another interesting fact is his points per minute played is greater than the like of Tavares, Stamkos,Ovechkin,Carter,Sedins ( not comparing him with any of those) but just sayin.

By the way, new poll in the topic heading above:

"Will Johnny win the Calder this season?"

Vote above.

I would vote, but don't want to jinx it. He only had three points this last game. What's wrong, doesn't he want to shoot the puck? If he wins anything he may get the Lady Bing; so far he seems like the nicest player in the NHL.

I would vote, but don't want to jinx it. He only had three points this last game. What's wrong, doesn't he want to shoot the puck? If he wins anything he may get the Lady Bing; so far he seems like the nicest player in the NHL.

The lazy comment above was in jest.  There's nothing wrong with his game.

If he got the Calder and the Byng I wouldn't be mad.

It's going to be an interesting race to the Calder. Forsberg is the real deal and leading the pack. Drouin had a late start be he is a threat. Ekblad is in the mix.

Gaudreau is my pick though. Since his first five games introduction with no points he has put up 12 points in 10 games. I haven't seen anything in his game that would keep it up. He may very well finish the season with 70 points. Or at least be close. That will give him more points then any rookie since Patrick Kane.

Gaudreau is my pick though. Since his first five games introduction with no points he has put up 12 points in 10 games. I haven't seen anything in his game that would keep it up. He may very well finish the season with 70 points. Or at least be close.

As much as I would love to say 70 points is a good chance, I don't think it is going to happen. He is good, real good. But we also tend to score by commitee, until a few players get more developed I doubt we'll have anyone (at least consistantly) above 60-65 points this year. And that  is not a knock on Johnny or anyone on the team, but just a little early to say that he is a 70-point scorer. It's just like the whole thing with Glencross, until he gets to 30 goals scored he isn't a 30 goal scorer. That said, I think it would be fantastic if he did hit 70 points this year, and he is still my pick for the Calder.

The lazy comment above was in jest.  There's nothing wrong with his game.

If he got the Calder and the Byng I wouldn't be mad.

Wasn't my sarcasm indicator working? My comments were in jest as well. I love watching this kid play. He's just so smooth with the puck. Seemed like a seamless fit playing with Mony and Jones.

As much as I would love to say 70 points is a good chance, I don't think it is going to happen. He is good, real good. But we also tend to score by commitee, until a few players get more developed I doubt we'll have anyone (at least consistantly) above 60-65 points this year. And that is not a knock on Johnny or anyone on the team, but just a little early to say that he is a 70-point scorer. It's just like the whole thing with Glencross, until he gets to 30 goals scored he isn't a 30 goal scorer. That said, I think it would be fantastic if he did hit 70 points this year, and he is still my pick for the Calder.

I never called him a 70 point scorer. I said I think he could reach that number this season or at least come close.

We are scoring by committee right now. But he is a consistent producer. I don't see anything changing in his game.

He might not make that number. The entire team could collapse offensively. Or he could get hurt. Or he could hit a personal slump. But I think he has a very real chance to be in or around the 70 point mark.

As much as I would love to say 70 points is a good chance, I don't think it is going to happen. He is good, real good. But we also tend to score by commitee, until a few players get more developed I doubt we'll have anyone (at least consistantly) above 60-65 points this year. And that  is not a knock on Johnny or anyone on the team, but just a little early to say that he is a 70-point scorer. It's just like the whole thing with Glencross, until he gets to 30 goals scored he isn't a 30 goal scorer. That said, I think it would be fantastic if he did hit 70 points this year, and he is still my pick for the Calder.

Johnny's the guy that stirs the coffee. He plays with a variety of players and they all tend to score. So, Johnny appears to be the Chairman of the committee. Unless we are shut out of games, there is a feeling that Johnny will add at least an assist. He may tail off in the stretch, due to never having played so many games, but so far he doesn't go more than one game between points. His last season of BC should show that he only feels that he is adding something when he adds points to contribute to a win. Anything less, and he feels like he needs to be better.

Wasn't my sarcasm indicator working? My comments were in jest as well. I love watching this kid play. He's just so smooth with the puck. Seemed like a seamless fit playing with Mony and Jones.

We should look into adding a sarcasm emoticon.  The internet seems to be a killer of such tendencies with emotion unable to be transmitted electronically.

An interesting fact is JG is 48th in points in the league but only has 14:43 TOI/GP Only 2 other players in the league has more points and less TOI/GP.  Another interesting fact is his points per minute played is greater than the like of Tavares, Stamkos,Ovechkin,Carter,Sedins ( not comparing him with any of those) but just sayin.

Being the fact that he is coming from a league that plays just a bit over half the games, I am guessing that Hartley is managing his minutes so that he is ready when he is out there. 

Johnny's the guy that stirs the coffee. He plays with a variety of players and they all tend to score. So, Johnny appears to be the Chairman of the committee. Unless we are shut out of games, there is a feeling that Johnny will add at least an assist. He may tail off in the stretch, due to never having played so many games, but so far he doesn't go more than one game between points. His last season of BC should show that he only feels that he is adding something when he adds points to contribute to a win. Anything less, and he feels like he needs to be better.

Plus, there's something about his game that translates so well. It's the fact that he is so agile on the puck, he can stop on a dime, make room for himself in a pinch and then still find the open guy. On that game tying goal all I was thinking, "get the puck to Johnny," when he was in the corner, "I think we're gonna score if we do." He then went for the wraparound and but passed it to Monahan instead.  

He makes room for himself and everyone else. I think he will continue to put up points. There maybe a few games in between where he won't score, but I think he will get to about 50pts if he can stay healthy, which is still a great place for him as a rookie. 

He's my new favourite player, him and Brodie. 

It's neat how Brodie, Monahan, and Gaudreau all seem to have the same demeanour. 

We should look into adding a sarcasm emoticon.  The internet seems to be a killer of such tendencies with emotion unable to be transmitted electronically.

Just about any smiley works for this and prevents misunderstandings before the "are you kidding" lights come on.....  :D

S4, I would have thought you would get the obvious sarcasm, since we had going back and forth with it for the previous few replies. Next time I will use the winky. ;)

I think it is obvious that Johnny got skills. What do you guys think about his stamina so far? Do you guys think he can handle an 82 game season or he will have to take some games off along the way?

I think it is obvious that Johnny got skills. What do you guys think about his stamina so far? Do you guys think he can handle an 82 game season or he will have to take some games off along the way?

I think that's why he's only getting 14 min per game. I think Hartley is managing his minutes.

I think that's why he's only getting 14 min per game. I think Hartley is managing his minutes.

He did the same thing with Monahan last year too. Until between 1/2 way and 3/4 of the way Monahan was getting between 13:30 and 16:00 minutes a game (usually towards the 14-15 minute mark) and that time started rising as the season was coming to a close. I figure same thing with Johnny. Right now he couldn't play big minutes a whole season and keep it up, but by the half-way mark? He could easily handle more as his own endurance would have started going up from all the games and practices (which by that point will already be as many games as he is used to playing and far more practices)

He did the same thing with Monahan last year too. Until between 1/2 way and 3/4 of the way Monahan was getting between 13:30 and 16:00 minutes a game (usually towards the 14-15 minute mark) and that time started rising as the season was coming to a close. I figure same thing with Johnny. Right now he couldn't play big minutes a whole season and keep it up, but by the half-way mark? He could easily handle more as his own endurance would have started going up from all the games and practices (which by that point will already be as many games as he is used to playing and far more practices)

I wonder if BT is holding off telling Johnny to move out of the hotel, for the express reason of not being worried the kid will eat properly. Sure, he is probably a mature young man, but he has never had to maintain an athlete's lifestyle or schedule. Where he's never been a big kid and doesn't have extra weight, he will need to maintain what he has. Mickie D's won't do it. He needs to spend time with fitness and nutrition people.

Jeeze, I sound like a worried mom. Really, I just want one of our most promising prospects to stay healthy and build himself up into prime physical condition.

I wonder if BT is holding off telling Johnny to move out of the hotel, for the express reason of not being worried the kid will eat properly. Sure, he is probably a mature young man, but he has never had to maintain an athlete's lifestyle or schedule. Where he's never been a big kid and doesn't have extra weight, he will need to maintain what he has. Mickie D's won't do it. He needs to spend time with fitness and nutrition people.

Jeeze, I sound like a worried mom. Really, I just want one of our most promising prospects to stay healthy and build himself up into prime physical condition.

Is Mony still billeting, or does he have his own place yet?  Maybe he needs a roommate?

Is Mony still billeting, or does he have his own place yet?  Maybe he needs a roommate?

Last I heard he was bunking with his Mom. I mean that she moved out so he wouldn't have to billet. That was last year, so I don't know if it's changed. Considering his comment about his tattoo, I think he may be on his own this year. He had said his mom had not seen it yet.

Anyway, there are several good role models he could chum with; Colborne has his head on straight and is a local boy and a few years older, Monahan for his leadership and attitude, a few others. If both him and Jooris were being kept up, they might mesh.

Man, can you believe he didn't even get a point in Carolina. Talk about a plug. I think we need to try and trade him for a bag of pucks, talk about guys that's going nowhere.  ;)

Back when the Jets version 1 had a few top end rookies that didn't know how to cook & lived on take-out it was noticed. I think it was Fergie that sent over a nutritionalist to cook for them every day.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gaudreau is billeted with a player expected to be in Calgary after the trade deadline. The vets are already used to eating well & working out so a rookie grows in that environment.

Back when the Jets version 1 had a few top end rookies that didn't know how to cook & lived on take-out it was noticed. I think it was Fergie that sent over a nutritionalist to cook for them every day.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gaudreau is billeted with a player expected to be in Calgary after the trade deadline. The vets are already used to eating well & working out so a rookie grows in that environment.

I agree, which is what I was trying to say. I don't expect Jiri to have to open up his home to a 21 year old. But that immensely helped Monahan in the early stage of his NHL career. It has to be tough to be a rookie and have to live in a hotel. Especially someone that is on the verge of being an NHL star, where you become recognized in public, followed, cheered and jeered.