The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
s4xon

Johnny 'Hockey' Gaudreau

16 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How many points will Johnny Hockey score in his sophomore season?

• 40-50
    • 50-60
    • 60-70
    • 70-80
    • 80-90
    • 90-100
    • 100+

But what makes it close, is Ekblad wasn't really unexpected.

18 Year D in the NHL right from the draft. I wouldn't expect that even from a 1st overall.

JHG, with his size to succeed on the NHL level right away? Not expected

Monahan to play as he did in the first two seasons? Not expected.

Forsberg had a taste of NHL hockey in previous seasons. Still, was it expected?

These are kids that need to learn a lot on the NHL level. Even with JHG being older, it is a completely different game in the NHL.

But hey, we are having this Calder trophy discussion, we had it last year with Monahan, we will have it next year with Bennett (hopefully). This feels great!

But what makes it close, is Ekblad wasn't really unexpected.

If JH can rip it up down the stretch and get Calgary in the playoffs then absolutely YES..if not then Ekblad is the absolute winner...10 games to go, who will make it...Florida or Calgary.

It's that close!

^ I look at it this way.

If almost every pundit, fan of other teams, and mediocre sports blogger deemed Johnny too small to make it in the NHL, and "what will he do against NHL size D-men", and "what against western teams D-men", and etc. etc. etc. excuse, disbelief, etc.

Then being the top scoring rookie in a season where all the odds were against him should give him a golden ticket to the hardware.  You can't operate by double standards here.  All he heard going into this season was "but wait until..." "but what if....".

No one had the same expectation of Ekblad.  He had all the tools to succeed, and was the poster boy of last year's draft.  Him being the top rookie D isn't as much of a surprise as you think. 

^ I look at it this way.

If almost every pundit, fan of other teams, and mediocre sports blogger deemed Johnny too small to make it in the NHL, and "what will he do against NHL size D-men", and "what against western teams D-men", and etc. etc. etc. excuse, disbelief, etc.

Then being the top scoring rookie in a season where all the odds were against him should give him a golden ticket to the hardware.  You can't operate by double standards here.  All he heard going into this season was "but wait until..." "but what if....".

No one had the same expectation of Ekblad.  He had all the tools to succeed, and was the poster boy of last year's draft.  Him being the top rookie D isn't as much of a surprise as you think. 

Agreed, also the division FLA plays in is the softest in the league. Look Ekblad is exceptional but JH has been outstanding on a team that was suppose to finish in the bottom of the league. Winning the rookie scoring would be more ammo, being instrumental in the playoff push aids even more.

Gaudreau has come from playing 40~ games a season in college to 82+ games a season in the NHL, compared with size, leading rookie in points/assists.

If he and Monahan keep this up they will both be around 60+ points. I see Gaudreau as a lock unless he falls off hard over these next few games.

^ I look at it this way.

If any writers watched Johnny take control of that LA game, they had him pencilled in back in December.

His impact on Mony and Hudler has been nothing short of amazing. Mony was very good before he played with Hudler and Johnny, but afterwards he has been nothing short of awesome.

Right now I would put Ekblad over Gaudreau or Forsberg for the most outstanding rookie campaign.

0.5 ppg and solid in every category while playing significant minutes is a major achievement for an 18/19 yr old dman.

Forsberg and Gaudreau are both having good seasons themselves but they are older more mature players.

The only way Gaudreau wins the Calder is if the Flames make the playoffs. The simple fact of this is because:

a) Florida isnt going to make them

B) Nashville will have got there with or without forsberg.

If Flames are able to make it, it will truly be because Gaudreau not only played well but played a significant role in getting them there and in the end that is what matters more than any statistical analysis.

The guy pulled out all the stops and elevated his team to success.

It will be harder to make that case if the Flames dont make the playoffs.

Not sure I buy all the hype on Ekblad.  #1 overall, protected minutes, production's tailed off, Florida probably not making the playoffs.  Yes, he's 18 YO but early-developed man-child with high expectations that he has somewhat overachieved.

Gaudreau a ~midget many never expected to make it a game in the NHL, excellent season and improved numbers as the season has progressed and teams started zeroing in on him, top-line toughest minutes.  If the Flames get in its a no-brainer.  If they don't he's still earned it.

Making the playoffs mean nothing. And you are greatly underrating Forsberg. He has completely revamped the Preds offense. Its going to be a race down to the finish line. 

Making the playoffs means alot actually, especially development of players, profitability of the team and fanbase excitement. Not to mention broader exposure to a larger audience.

Im not underrating Forsberg at all, Im just saying in a dead heat with Gaudreau I think Forsberg comes up short due to the role each has had in terms of getting their teams to the playoffs.

audreau Monahan and Hudler have to stir the pot or the Flames dont put up many wins. Forsberg has guys like Fisher Ribiero and James Neal to do the heavy lifting.

In a dead heat I give it to the guy that elevated his team enough to get them into the playoffs over a guy who's team would of likely made it with or without his efforts.

Making the playoffs means alot actually, especially development of players, profitability of the team and fanbase excitement. Not to mention broader exposure to a larger audience.

Im not underrating Forsberg at all, Im just saying in a dead heat with Gaudreau I think Forsberg comes up short due to the role each has had in terms of getting their teams to the playoffs.

audreau Monahan and Hudler have to stir the pot or the Flames dont put up many wins. Forsberg has guys like Fisher Ribiero and James Neal to do the heavy lifting.

In a dead heat I give it to the guy that elevated his team enough to get them into the playoffs over a guy who's team would of likely made it with or without his efforts.

The last point is where I think you are underrating Forsberg. Without him I don't think there is anyway the Preds are as good as they are. Specifically early in the season he was the catalyst of their offence. I think it's very debatable as to which player has had the bigger impact on their team.

I personally think if it comes between Gaudreau and Forsberg the person that wins the scoring race gets the prize. It's too easy to over think these things.

I think Ekblad gets it though. It's been five years since a D got the prize and he seems to be the media darling right now. I think this is especially true because both forwards are a couple of seasons removed from their draft year.

I personally think if it comes between Gaudreau and Forsberg the person that wins the scoring race gets the prize. It's too easy to over think these things.

I think Ekblad gets it though. It's been five years since a D got the prize and he seems to be the media darling right now. I think this is especially true because both forwards are a couple of seasons removed from their draft year.

I agree to a point but Ekblad has really been falling off a cliff recently. Ice time down, stats down, issues with his play, etc. If that keeps up I think it will hurt him.

I agree to a point but Ekblad has really been falling off a cliff recently. Ice time down, stats down, issues with his play, etc. If that keeps up I think it will hurt him.

Fair enough. I honestly don't follow the team that closely. Your right, the media voters have short memories so performance down the stretch means a lot.

But what he a has done this season as a whole, especially as a teenager just out of the draft, is pretty special.

If you look at tonight's game, you see an indication of the level of growth Johnny has taken as a player.

He assists on a big goal; nothing special, but a nice pass.

He scores a huge goal; eventual game winner. Start of the season he would have passed off.

Last minute of play, he blocks a slapshot with his hand, then dives to intercept a pass to the slot.

Hartley is now trusting Johnny in key situations. His takeaway skills are as important as a defensive center. This has been truly a breakout season for this young star. He deserves consideration for Calder, no matter how the season ends. In other words, whether the Flames place 3rd in the Pacific or WC spot. :)

Almost forgot to mention...Johnny Hockey has 60 points in 76 games. Simply amazing.

• Like 1

No TD, the considering part is over! He deserves the hardware! After the last two games there shouldn't be any doubt anymore.

No TD, the considering part is over! He deserves the hardware! After the last two games there shouldn't be any doubt anymore.

Even when he isn't scoring points, he adds so much to this team. The best defense is sometimes a great offense, or in our case, Hudeauahan.

If you look at tonight's game, you see an indication of the level of growth Johnny has taken as a player.

He assists on a big goal; nothing special, but a nice pass.

He scores a huge goal; eventual game winner. Start of the season he would have passed off.

Last minute of play, he blocks a slapshot with his hand, then dives to intercept a pass to the slot.

Hartley is now trusting Johnny in key situations. His takeaway skills are as important as a defensive center. This has been truly a breakout season for this young star. He deserves consideration for Calder, no matter how the season ends. In other words, whether the Flames place 3rd in the Pacific or WC spot. :)

Almost forgot to mention...Johnny Hockey has 60 points in 76 games. Simply amazing.

This sums it up very well!!!

The last point is where I think you are underrating Forsberg. Without him I don't think there is anyway the Preds are as good as they are. Specifically early in the season he was the catalyst of their offence. I think it's very debatable as to which player has had the bigger impact on their team.

Hypothetical... Without Forsberg, do you think the Predators make the playoffs this season? Without Johnny, do we?

I feel the playoffs are important as well.  WIth FLA likely missing the playoffs, that hurts Ekblad's chances.  It will come down to Gaudreau vs Forsberg.

Also, stats matter.  If Gaudreau finishes with more points, and the Flames make the playoffs, then Gaudreau will win.  If Forsberg wins the rookie scoring race, then Forsberg will get the Calder.

I feel the playoffs are important as well.  WIth FLA likely missing the playoffs, that hurts Ekblad's chances.  It will come down to Gaudreau vs Forsberg.

Also, stats matter.  If Gaudreau finishes with more points, and the Flames make the playoffs, then Gaudreau will win.  If Forsberg wins the rookie scoring race, then Forsberg will get the Calder.

It is close to impossible to keep Johnny off the scoreboard.  If he doesn't get a point for one or two games, he comes back with a multi-point effort.  He loves to get points, be in on scoring, and especially get a goal.  I think the last year at BC, he really wanted to get the NCAA championship.  That desire for greatness shows up in every shift.  Seeing him block a shot or take a hit to make a play just goes to show hi level of compete.

It's very funny that his NHLE calculated coming out of the NCAA is 67.  He is close to getting there.  I seriously think he wants to reach 27 goals and 43 assists. Or 30 and 40.  Or 22 and 48.  He is only 10 points in 5 games shy of that.  But I think his biggest goal is making the Stanley Cup Playoffs and winning it. 

That's the second time he's earned that honour this year. The ONLY rookie to get it twice. That alone I think says a lot.

If we hold down a playoff spot I'll be stunned if he doesn't earn the Calder.