The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
s4xon

Johnny 'Hockey' Gaudreau

16 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How many points will Johnny Hockey score in his sophomore season?

• 40-50
    • 50-60
    • 60-70
    • 70-80
    • 80-90
    • 90-100
    • 100+

The slash on the hands the other night is just another example.

Those are sometimes missed by teammates, but Johnny just needs to identify the player to his mates.  It's up to Engelland or Gio to "remind" that player later.  Lay a big hit and say, that's for hitting JH.  Yak had no business getting away with the crap he pulled the other night, but I don't remember anyone targeting him later.

This isn't a Bollig thing, since he is rarely on against those offending players.  It's a leadership thing.  Mony has to step u[ as does Gio and Russell and Wideman.  Even Backlund.  Those guys have all worn the A.

JHG is starting to spoil us, we know what he can do with the puck and he continues to pile up the assists.  If I was a little more computer savvy I’d post that shift of him behind the OTT goal, doing what Jonny does best…...play keep away in a phone booth…untouched.

Here's a GIF of that sequence....

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CScsMtlW4AAQ6h6.mp4

That's the one, thank you.  It is never a bad idea giving the puck to Johnny.  Nobody on this team handles the puck or manages it better in the Ozone that he.

Bennett is pretty darn close.  He showed sick hands in his goal against the AVS.  Duchene was PO'd that he was showed up.

Good on Sammy.

Bennett is pretty darn close.  He showed sick hands in his goal against the AVS.  Duchene was PO'd that he was showed up.

Good on Sammy.

If Bennett continues to progress the way he has in his first 12 games this year then who knows where his ceiling could be.  I never noticed Bennett the first half dozen games but I notice him now, he is going to the dirty areas all the time and he's being rewarded.  The theme so far has been whoever plays with Johnny plays better and it's noticeable.

So is it safe to say that Johnny Gaudreau is the best player on this team? I think so. This young core has so much talent but JH just takes it to a whole new level.

So is it safe to say that Johnny Gaudreau is the best player on this team? I think so. This young core has so much talent but JH just takes it to a whole new level.

Johnny is a 2nd year pro that looks like a vet.  His skills of hockey sense, skating, stick-handling, vision and soft hands make him 2nd to none right now.  Bennett has most of those, but is nearly unstoppable on the rush.  Monahan is your steady leader that gets you the wins.  Brodie is the glue.

Other players will step up to that level in the future, but so far these are the best.  And the youngest.  Hamilton could be in that group if he progresses like he did last year.

It's early, but Gaudreau is top 5 in scoring and it's his sophomore season. He is doing it from a struggling team that hasn't been scoring much.

Gaudreau, Brodie, Monahan, and Bennett are all looking like great young players to build a team around. What I love about them is how they make the players around them better. I also love their commitment to playing an all round game.

The old top 4 of the guys up North (Hall, Eberle, RNH, Schultz) might have a lot of flash. But none of them have that team game. That makes all the difference.

Was watching the Oiler game tonight.  Kane was dancing the entire game.  What struck me was the similarity between Johnny and Kane.  I never saw much of Kane in the early years, but the finished product is so very similar.  Skating, cutbacks, passing.....

There was a nice piece in the Sun about Johnny's grandparents being at both winning games this week.  Johnny is named after his grandfather.  BT "joked" about bringing them on the roadtrip, since the team was 2 for 2 with them in the building.

See link:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/11/08/calgary-flames-sniper-johnny-gaudreau-up-where-he-belongs-in-his-second-nhl-year

9f8ffcab94ed0b00d42283758def5563.png

One point back of assist lead in all of the NHL.

50e868c395c43b09212f8f6f6500c998.png

Tied for 4th overall goals in NHL.

Anyone see another 2nd season player on these lists?

9f8ffcab94ed0b00d42283758def5563.png

One point back of assist lead in all of the NHL.

50e868c395c43b09212f8f6f6500c998.png

Tied for 4th overall goals in NHL.

Anyone see another 2nd season player on these lists?

That’s quit the company Johnny is keeping on the top 10 points list.  I suspect he will stay there all season.  Excluding him, the average cap hit for the other 9 players is $6.7M.  It’s always nice for your guys to score, but when they do they need to be paid.

Klingberg is a 2nd year player.  Was overlooked for the rookie consideration pretty much all of last year.

Unlike Ekblad, he is starting his 2nd season strong.

Johnny's points production will likely slow down a bit, as he is currently in on 45.9% of the Flames' goals.  If Hartley continues with line blending during games, you may see Johnny aid in scoring if the top line is being shut down.

It's great to have a humble star on the roster.  Not a head case like some of the NHL "stars".  Very down-to-earth.

• Like 1

That’s quit the company Johnny is keeping on the top 10 points list.  I suspect he will stay there all season.  Excluding him, the average cap hit for the other 9 players is $6.7M.  It’s always nice for your guys to score, but when they do they need to be paid.

Yup, he's going to be expensive !  He's not only a great player but he's got great fan appeal in terms of marketing.  I think he's going to be $6 million to lock him up long term.  Expensive but worth it.

Yup, he's going to be expensive !  He's not only a great player but he's got great fan appeal in terms of marketing.  I think he's going to be $6 million to lock him up long term.  Expensive but worth it.

$6m is a bargain for a player that doesn't seem to regress.  64 points in year 1, on pace for 92 points in year 2?  That is insane.  We haven't had anyone like that since Iggy in 2007/8.

• Like 1

Gaudreau, Monahan and Bennett all look to be expensive signings based on their play so far. (Probably in that order of price for now). 

Hopefully they'll take more reasonable deals to stay. Gio, Hamilton and Frolik have all taken fair or slightly low values, and i hope that sets a trend. 

Gaudreau, Monahan and Bennett all look to be expensive signings based on their play so far. (Probably in that order of price for now). 

Hopefully they'll take more reasonable deals to stay. Gio, Hamilton and Frolik have all taken fair or slightly low values, and i hope that sets a trend. 

Gio set the high-water mark, but the NHL has seen salaries for stars rising very high.  $6m for a potential top 10 NHL scoring forward is a bargain.  To get them locked up, you may need to spend a little more, as you are buying UFA years.

I think we all figured that next season and the one after were going to be challenging from a cap view.  BT kept Gio's down as much as he could.  Brodie's is a steal.  Hamilton will look very good if he gets to the level he was in Boston.  If Johnny, Monahan and Bennett all get in the $6m range, it means they have met or exceeded expectations, which is a very good thing for the Flames.

What's going to be interesting is if Monahan continues to struggle while Gaudreau lights it up.  For awhile now, we were thinking Monahan and Gaudreau could be contractually tied together like Toews and Kane in Chicago.  Both would be paid the same on the same term, etc. It's not looking that way anymore.  It's looking like Gaudreau should be paid $6-mil long term and then Monahan will be looking at a bridge contract in the $4-mil range.

What's going to be interesting is if Monahan continues to struggle while Gaudreau lights it up.  For awhile now, we were thinking Monahan and Gaudreau could be contractually tied together like Toews and Kane in Chicago.  Both would be paid the same on the same term, etc. It's not looking that way anymore.  It's looking like Gaudreau should be paid $6-mil long term and then Monahan will be looking at a bridge contract in the $4-mil range.

To be fair, Mony isn't struggling in the scoring department.  10 points in 15 games prorated is not that far behind last year's production. The areas that concern me is shots and faceoff wins.  He is lagging behind last year's production.

That said, locking up two of our future top centers (Mony and Bennett) is important to this team.  A bridge deal for Monahan and a long-term contract for Johnny (possibly a long-term one for Bennett next year) would be the wrong message to send.  Monahan (and Gaudreau) were the reasons why we were in the playoffs last year.

To be fair, Mony isn't struggling in the scoring department.  10 points in 15 games prorated is not that far behind last year's production. The areas that concern me is shots and faceoff wins.  He is lagging behind last year's production.

That said, locking up two of our future top centers (Mony and Bennett) is important to this team.  A bridge deal for Monahan and a long-term contract for Johnny (possibly a long-term one for Bennett next year) would be the wrong message to send.  Monahan (and Gaudreau) were the reasons why we were in the playoffs last year.

Depends though.  If Johnny ends up with 75-points this season and Monahan only gets 50-points, boy it's hard to justify both players making the same money on the same term.  I'm not saying we shouldn't lock up Monahan long term, just that we initially thought both players would have mirrored contracts for their career but that doesn't appear to be the case anymore.  Johnny deserves more money than Monahan.

Depends though.  If Johnny ends up with 75-points this season and Monahan only gets 50-points, boy it's hard to justify both players making the same money on the same term.  I'm not saying we shouldn't lock up Monahan long term, just that we initially thought both players would have mirrored contracts for their career but that doesn't appear to be the case anymore.  Johnny deserves more money than Monahan.

But center is always a harder position to score from.  Almost every top scorer in the league is a winger.  Getzlaf almost always scores less than Perry, for example.  Both are worth the same in my mind.

Klingberg is a 2nd year player.  Was overlooked for the rookie consideration pretty much all of last year.

Unlike Ekblad, he is starting his 2nd season strong.

Johnny's points production will likely slow down a bit, as he is currently in on 45.9% of the Flames' goals.  If Hartley continues with line blending during games, you may see Johnny aid in scoring if the top line is being shut down.

It's great to have a humble star on the roster.  Not a head case like some of the NHL "stars".  Very down-to-earth.

So he is.. I must have been tired when doing this posts .

I disagree. Mony is a center and a good 2 way center at that. and JH is a winger. To say they shouldn't get similar money based on points or scoring is very short-sighted.

Just thinking back on how the Flames were unable to find a suitable center to play with Iggy should tell you that a center should get equal or better money than a winger when they are elite/franchise level players even if the points are not as many from the center..