The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
s4xon

Johnny 'Hockey' Gaudreau

16 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How many points will Johnny Hockey score in his sophomore season?

• 40-50
    • 50-60
    • 60-70
    • 70-80
    • 80-90
    • 90-100
    • 100+

Not sure I agree that Hudler was the perfect fit. The top line saw a huge drop in the playoffs last season. This season we see a big drop on the road.

That's why I like Bennett added to the top line. I think he will be tougher to shut down as he matures due to his style of play. Gaudreau will benefit from that.

I am not too concerned about Monahans face offs. He is working hard on it and it's improving.

Perhaps the best way to go would be to remain flexible and open to different line combinations, other top teams move their top players around on lines, usually because they can play with anyone.

Not sure I agree that Hudler was the perfect fit. The top line saw a huge drop in the playoffs last season. This season we see a big drop on the road.

That's why I like Bennett added to the top line. I think he will be tougher to shut down as he matures due to his style of play. Gaudreau will benefit from that.

I am not too concerned about Monahans face offs. He is working hard on it and it's improving.

There was a big difference between the March Hudler and the April Hudler.  Against the Kings he was hurt fairly bad, but managed to show up against the Nucks.  He was hurt playing against the Ducks and never recovered, including most of this season.

Whether it's Monahan or Bennett, they need a top 3 RW.  One that can play against the best and create space.  

I really like Bennett and Gaudreau together. Gaudreau would really benefit from a physical centre who goes into the tough areas and plays with grit. Especially one with a dynamic skill set like Bennett.

Gaudreau can make many players look good, but him and Monahan have chemistry.  I wouldn't split up that combination because it has proven to work very well.  Down the road maybe when there are more options, but not now imo.  Would that be similar to splitting up Gio/Brodie?

There was a big difference between the March Hudler and the April Hudler.  Against the Kings he was hurt fairly bad, but managed to show up against the Nucks.  He was hurt playing against the Ducks and never recovered, including most of this season.

Whether it's Monahan or Bennett, they need a top 3 RW.  One that can play against the best and create space.

Im hoping we draft one of those big Finnish kids, I think they would look good either next to many on the top line or next to Bennett for secondary scoring. I'm not to worried about who plays with mony/jh, as I think a guy like ferland could slot into that spot, it really won't make a difference as he just needs to do the dirty work for the line.

The one knock to this theory is that Bennett is well below Monahan in FO%. When Monahan is losing more draws than winning, the line spends too much time defensing before transition, and they change before the y gets much O-zone time. Clearly, Bennett has to improve his faceoffs (thanks Bob for waiting this long!!). The one thing that helps Bennett is his ability to forecheck hard. With a sublime LW (Johnny) and a solid RW (drafted likely), this could be a killer line.

With Monahan, it's a bit different. Maybe Ferland-Monahan-Frolik would be that mix of skill, grit and defensive ability to match a Toews line. Ferland is still passing off too much in the high danger zones. I counted one or two times where he needed to hang onto the puck or shoot himself. He opted to pass, which didn't do anything. Maybe Ferland is best suited with Backlund. Maybe we have a few potential LW's on the farm that will fit.

The one thing that is good about the current top line is the way they control the play in the O-zone. Hudler (of March 2015) was the perfect fit, and they dominated 5v5. All they had to do was pass to Hudler and it was in the net. Need that kind of RW if they plan on keeping Gaudreahan together.

But Bennett and Backlund get the most starts in the D zone. Bennett only starts in the other team's end of the ice about 20% of his starts. The rest are pretty much in our own end.

As good as Johnny is on the ice, he really seems like he is a better person off the ice.

After having one of the classiest people in the game here in Iginla for so many years, it is nice to know guys like Gaudreau, Giordano and Monahan are here to carry that torch of being quality people on and off the ice.

The thing that made me really think of this was the way Johnny went out of his way to meet and talk to the little boy, whose mom had played a mean April Fool's Day prank on him, by saying that Johnny asked to be traded from Calgary, the boy ended up in tears. The Flames posted the video on twitter, to which Johnny responded "Don't worry bud I'm not going anywhere".

He then met with them after the Edmonton game and signed a picture for the young fan.

That makes me more proud that he is a member of the Flames than all the points he puts up, though I like those too.

• Like 4

As good as Johnny is on the ice, he really seems like he is a better person off the ice.

After having one of the classiest people in the game here in Iginla for so many years, it is nice to know guys like Gaudreau, Giordano and Monahan are here to carry that torch of being quality people on and off the ice.

The thing that made me really think of this was the way Johnny went out of his way to meet and talk to the little boy, whose mom had played a mean April Fool's Day prank on him, by saying that Johnny asked to be traded from Calgary, the boy ended up in tears. The Flames posted the video on twitter, to which Johnny responded "Don't worry bud I'm not going anywhere".

He then met with them after the Edmonton game and signed a picture for the young fan.

That makes me more proud that he is a member of the Flames than all the points he puts up, though I like those too.

This is the sort of prank that would make me burst into tears and I'm a grown man.

This is one of the things that makes him a great spokesperson for the NHL.  He sticks up for the little guy.  His modest upbringing, his love for the game, his elite level despite his size...That is gold for the NHL.  

It's funny but Doug Gilmour was quoted as saying he and Johnny were both smaller players.  Sounds strange hearing it from a guy like Gilmour....

“What he does,’’ says Sam Bennett’s old boss with the OHL Kingston Frontenacs, “you can’t teach. It’s natural. I guess I wasn’t much bigger” -- officially listed at 5-foot-10 to Gaudreau’s 5-9 -- “but for guys like us, that’s how you have to play. Change speeds. Buy time. Stay out of harm’s way.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=877015

This is one of the things that makes him a great spokesperson for the NHL.  He sticks up for the little guy.  His modest upbringing, his love for the game, his elite level despite his size...That is gold for the NHL.  

It's funny but Doug Gilmour was quoted as saying he and Johnny were both smaller players.  Sounds strange hearing it from a guy like Gilmour....

“What he does,’’ says Sam Bennett’s old boss with the OHL Kingston Frontenacs, “you can’t teach. It’s natural. I guess I wasn’t much bigger” -- officially listed at 5-foot-10 to Gaudreau’s 5-9 -- “but for guys like us, that’s how you have to play. Change speeds. Buy time. Stay out of harm’s way.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=877015

LOL I don't think Bennett adhere's to the "stay out of harm's way" part of that statement.

LOL I don't think Bennett adhere's to the "stay out of harm's way" part of that statement.

Different players, different styles.  Each player has to find their niche.  

http://flamesnation.ca/2016/4/15/how-good-is-johnny-gaudreau-57a50ec2-d2b7-4547-b773-07e6158c42ca

A good summary of what Johnny Hockey has done as a Flames player compared to the league.  A link to some highlight reel stuff just for Freak of Nature.  Enjoy.

There was a similar comparison made regarding Monahan in an article a few weeks back. Both of them are putting up impressive stats in their first 2-3 years. Both of them together on a line for who knows how many years and wonder just how good they're going to be. 

There was a similar comparison made regarding Monahan in an article a few weeks back. Both of them are putting up impressive stats in their first 2-3 years. Both of them together on a line for who knows how many years and wonder just how good they're going to be. 

We have seen how good they are with a marginal top line RW.  What we haven't seen yet is with a true top 3 RW.  It's really hard to project Gaudreau's next season either way.  He somehow manages to get better every year he plays.  I doubt anyone would ever have expected him to be in the Art Ross end of the league in scoring.    

We have seen how good they are with a marginal top line RW.  What we haven't seen yet is with a true top 3 RW.  It's really hard to project Gaudreau's next season either way.  He somehow manages to get better every year he plays.  I doubt anyone would ever have expected him to be in the Art Ross end of the league in scoring.    

If we somehow landed Matthews or a Finn, or if we draft a skilled RW who's willing to go to the dirty areas of the ice, I think we'd see Gaudreau pushing 40 goals annually, and Monahan and the RW putting up easily over 30.  (someone wanna build a time machine and snatch 25 year old Iggy?)

Monahan has gotten better every year. A little lower on goals this year from his poor start, but continue to improve point totals and faceoffs. Gaudreau there's every reason to expect will do the same. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a year where Gaudreau won the Richard and Monahan the Art Ross in the future (assuming we get them a RW)

If we somehow landed Matthews or a Finn, or if we draft a skilled RW who's willing to go to the dirty areas of the ice, I think we'd see Gaudreau pushing 40 goals annually, and Monahan and the RW putting up easily over 30.  (someone wanna build a time machine and snatch 25 year old Iggy?)

Monahan has gotten better every year. A little lower on goals this year from his poor start, but continue to improve point totals and faceoffs. Gaudreau there's every reason to expect will do the same. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a year where Gaudreau won the Richard and Monahan the Art Ross in the future (assuming we get them a RW)

I tend to think that a top 3 RW would push up Johnny's assist numbers more than goals.  Monahan has a much better shot, and were it not for a slump, he would have pushed past 30 goals this year.  But, I don't see Monahan ever being a Richard level player for goals.  Maybe Bennett.  Big maybe.  I think there is a good chance you could see Johnny take the Art Ross though.

What amazes me is that Gaudreau can have a top 6 points season in the same season where nothing else went right.  When Gio wasn't scoring, Johnny was.  When Brodie was gone, Johnny kept producing.  

Anyway, no pressure to the kid.  He make it worth watching just to watch him skate in circles.   Or embarrass a top 2 D-man.  Or outscore a "generational" talent/prospect/player.

I tend to think that a top 3 RW would push up Johnny's assist numbers more than goals.  Monahan has a much better shot, and were it not for a slump, he would have pushed past 30 goals this year.  But, I don't see Monahan ever being a Richard level player for goals.  Maybe Bennett.  Big maybe.  I think there is a good chance you could see Johnny take the Art Ross though.

What amazes me is that Gaudreau can have a top 6 points season in the same season where nothing else went right.  When Gio wasn't scoring, Johnny was.  When Brodie was gone, Johnny kept producing.  

Anyway, no pressure to the kid.  He make it worth watching just to watch him skate in circles.   Or embarrass a top 2 D-man.  Or outscore a "generational" talent/prospect/player.

RW will help both IMHO. I don't think Johnny's reached peak production yet without a RW, and with a good RW with pressure off Johnny I can see him getting more goals. 

Monahan I doubt will ever be Richard level (unless he has a very good year some year), but I can see him having Iginla levels of consistency with a pile of assists from both wingers. 

Bennett I think peaks with marginally more goals than Monny, but fewer points. But I could be wrong. 

No pressure meant on any of them, just exciting to see what we've brought in in the last 3 years and see the potential for the future. 

I tend to think that a top 3 RW would push up Johnny's assist numbers more than goals. Monahan has a much better shot, and were it not for a slump, he would have pushed past 30 goals this year. But, I don't see Monahan ever being a Richard level player for goals. Maybe Bennett. Big maybe. I think there is a good chance you could see Johnny take the Art Ross though.

What amazes me is that Gaudreau can have a top 6 points season in the same season where nothing else went right. When Gio wasn't scoring, Johnny was. When Brodie was gone, Johnny kept producing.

Anyway, no pressure to the kid. He make it worth watching just to watch him skate in circles. Or embarrass a top 2 D-man. Or outscore a "generational" talent/prospect/player.

The only thing that was negative about this year for him was less production on the road. One reason it'll be better to get another winger for Bennett instead of Johnny's line is, in the long run and on the road, it will open up more space for him if there are other threats. Johnny needs to produce more on the road.

Last season Hudler was nearly a PPG player and it didn't make a big difference on those two stats. I don't think getting a top line RW is a priority. Those guys are already great and I don't think you get all that much improvement by adding a third.

Instead they need to find a winger to play with Bennett. They have Gaudreau and Monahan. They have Backlund and Frolik. If they can find a match for Bennett then we can run three solid lines and are in really good shape at forward.

Last season Hudler was nearly a PPG player and it didn't make a big difference on those two stats. I don't think getting a top line RW is a priority. Those guys are already great and I don't think you get all that much improvement by adding a third.

Instead they need to find a winger to play with Bennett. They have Gaudreau and Monahan. They have Backlund and Frolik. If they can find a match for Bennett then we can run three solid lines and are in really good shape at forward.

If we are fortunate enough to land Juljujarvi I would put him with Bennett. The suggestion was made by cross to sign Chris Stewart RW as a UFA to play with Gaudreau and Monahan which could be interesting. Stewart needs the high level of motivation in order to max out his game.

If we are fortunate enough to land Juljujarvi I would put him with Bennett. The suggestion was made by cross to sign Chris Stewart RW as a UFA to play with Gaudreau and Monahan which could be interesting. Stewart needs the high level of motivation in order to max out his game.

Stewart is exactly the kind of guy to target for the top line. Cheap, big, and enough offense and speed to get along.

Motivation and attitude might be an issue. I leave it to the Flames scouts and staff to make that decision. But Stewart is the kind of player you want to target imo.

Stewart is exactly the kind of guy to target for the top line. Cheap, big, and enough offense and speed to get along.

Motivation and attitude might be an issue. I leave it to the Flames scouts and staff to make that decision. But Stewart is the kind of player you want to target imo.

Stewart's career really is a strange one.  Never really had consistent offense, but is a shift disturber.  Prior to last year he was making $4m, now $1.7m.  If we could sign him to a one or two year deal for similar or less, that would be ideal.  You would likely see him get career numbers.  Another option, though not as tough a player, would be Stempniak.  Probably cheaper, but has better offense.  Smaller player, though.

Stewart's career really is a strange one.  Never really had consistent offense, but is a shift disturber.  Prior to last year he was making $4m, now $1.7m.  If we could sign him to a one or two year deal for similar or less, that would be ideal.  You would likely see him get career numbers.  Another option, though not as tough a player, would be Stempniak.  Probably cheaper, but has better offense.  Smaller player, though.

Stewart at 27 may be the better fit and he would certainly add size and space to that top line. Stepniak is 32 and another small RW so I would pass. Stewart is one of those players if you can find the formula to motivate him could do really well. BT should be able to get him at a reasonable price and term.

If the flames don't want to change how they play I actually think stempniak would be a great fit. Smaller yes but he is a mini Hudler and plays a very similar game to Hudler so he would be a great fit on the line. Stewart has the skill set but with this inconsistency I actually think stempniak would be great more productive on that line.

Either way I agree with the theme. I think there are enough buy low options that can fit on the top line so that should be not be the priority this offseason. If something falls into their lap great, but if I'm Treliving in spending my assets in net first and then a natural RW that can play up and down n y lineup and not necessarily just on the top line.

If the flames don't want to change how they play I actually think stempniak would be a great fit. Smaller yes but he is a mini Hudler and plays a very similar game to Hudler so he would be a great fit on the line. Stewart has the skill set but with this inconsistency I actually think stempniak would be great more productive on that line.

Either way I agree with the theme. I think there are enough buy low options that can fit on the top line so that should be not be the priority this offseason. If something falls into their lap great, but if I'm Treliving in spending my assets in net first and then a natural RW that can play up and down n y lineup and not necessarily just on the top line.

How is he a mini-Hudler? Hudler stick handles in a phone booth and has the ability to make room for himself. Up until this season, he has made his linemates better with his skill. Hudler can be a north-south/east-west player and Stempniak is strictly a north-south guy. Stempniak also relies more on his work ethic/effort to aid his little skill.

Maybe you meant something else? Just points and size-wise? Stempniak is a 15 goal scorer and a possible 35-40 point player.

I think Stemps is more of a 3rd liner who can step up to the 2nd. I am not against the idea of getting him. But I slmost see Hartley using him on the 3rd line.

I like Stemps. He works hard, and as the old joke goes, when he's really on, he can outwork your entire team by himself. 

But he's not really a top line player. And he doesn't really fit our age demographic.