The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
s4xon

Johnny 'Hockey' Gaudreau

16 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How many points will Johnny Hockey score in his sophomore season?

• 40-50
    • 50-60
    • 60-70
    • 70-80
    • 80-90
    • 90-100
    • 100+

So Eric Francis has an article out that says Calgary and Gaudreau are about $1.5m apart in contract negotiations. Gaudreau is looking for $8m and Calgary is looking for somewhere between $6.3m (Monahan) and $6.75m ($6.75m).

$8m is way too much and I am glad that Treliving is playing a bit of hardball if that's what Gaudreau is looking for. I really hope he comes in under $7m, but I am thinking that $7-7.25m is the landing spot.

http://m.calgarysun.com/2016/09/08/gap-between-johnny-gaudreau-camp-and-flames-in-contract-negotiations-as-high-as-15-million

Before people freak about that report I think its worth pointing out that basically right up until they signed him last year the buzz was the Flames and Gio were far apart as well and most reports had Gio at 7.5 or higher on his ask. Things can change very quickly, or be very inaccurate....

8 million and 8 years is not totally unreasonable if that were the ask, but I agree the numbers needs to be closer to 7 mill. I personally don't believe Gaudreau is worth Tarasenko money and the Flames shouldn't either. I think Gaudreau's agent is trying to hit a home run when he really doesn't have the leverage to do so. 

Before people freak about that report I think its worth pointing out that basically right up until they signed him last year the buzz was the Flames and Gio were far apart as well and most reports had Gio at 7.5 or higher on his ask. Things can change very quickly, or be very inaccurate....

8 million and 8 years is not totally unreasonable if that were the ask, but I agree the numbers needs to be closer to 7 mill. I personally don't believe Gaudreau is worth Tarasenko money and the Flames shouldn't either. I think Gaudreau's agent is trying to hit a home run when he really doesn't have the leverage to do so.

That is fair.

I am not sure Calgary is in a position to hand out $7m+ contracts at the moment. With Giordano, Monahan, and Hamilton all locked up to big money and guys like Bennett and Elliott most likely needing significant raises next year, there is limited pieces of pie to go around.

I hope Gaudreau isn't overplaying the fact that his value to Calgary is larger than his value league wide. In Calgary we see as a superstar but across the league I don't think that's how he is perceived.

How many times did we hear that Gio was looking for $9m long term?  Is this really a story with credible sources that seem to get more info out of Brad than ever before?  Is it a ploy by the Flames to sell the high cost in advance of signing a deal?  Or it it simply a guess based on how long the discussion has gone on?  

I'm not a huge fan of big contracts because of who will be coming off ELC's in the next 3-4 years, but the money is really just a issue now because of the bloated contracts for lesser players. 

That is fair.

I am not sure Calgary is in a position to hand out $7m+ contracts at the moment. With Giordano, Monahan, and Hamilton all locked up to big money and guys like Bennett and Elliott most likely needing significant raises next year, there is limited pieces of pie to go around.

I hope Gaudreau isn't overplaying the fact that his value to Calgary is larger than his value league wide. In Calgary we see as a superstar but across the league I don't think that's how he is perceived.

Hammy is on a reasonable contract.  A bit high, but it has value built into the term.  Bennett has to show that he is worth the same as Monhan, which he hasn't yet; he's had a season similar to Monahan's 1st.  Elliott is going to get a raise if he is kept, but he hasn't been a true starter in this league, so he isn't getting $6m.  

Gaudreau doesn't get the press league-wide, but he is well know in three US cities.  

There is, but Gaudreau is speical and deserves to be compensated fairly. I think 7-7.25 on anything 6 or above is a fair deal that I think the Flames should do. You sign players like Gaudreau for best you can and the fit your roster around that, not the other way around IMO.

I dont' think Bennett is going to be as pricy as everyone things and remember the Flames are about to shed 16 million over the next 2 seasons in depth players that they should not need to repalce with much money. 

How many times did we hear that Gio was looking for $9m long term?  Is this really a story with credible sources that seem to get more info out of Brad than ever before?  Is it a ploy by the Flames to sell the high cost in advance of signing a deal?  Or it it simply a guess based on how long the discussion has gone on?  

It is for sure a ploy. No doubt in my mind one of the sides leaked this to put pressure on the other, more likely gaudreau's camp. Which I think will backfire becuase already the buzz i've seen or people i've talked to agree that this ask is too much. 

I'd like to see a 6 or 8 year deal.  (So we don't find ourselves needing to sign Monahan and JH at the same time seven years from now)

I think Tarasenko is a reasonable comparable, but a similar contract (8 years * 7.5M) would be a tough pill to swallow.  I'd say we'll see an AAV of $7M plus or minus $250K.

It would be interesting to know where Eric Francis got his information from. I highly doubt it came from the Flames management group.

There is, but Gaudreau is speical and deserves to be compensated fairly. I think 7-7.25 on anything 6 or above is a fair deal that I think the Flames should do. You sign players like Gaudreau for best you can and the fit your roster around that, not the other way around IMO.

I dont' think Bennett is going to be as pricy as everyone things and remember the Flames are about to shed 16 million over the next 2 seasons in depth players that they should not need to repalce with much money. 

It is for sure a ploy. No doubt in my mind one of the sides leaked this to put pressure on the other, more likely gaudreau's camp. Which I think will backfire becuase already the buzz i've seen or people i've talked to agree that this ask is too much. 

I can't see it being the agent.  It provide no value to the player to detail what he is asking for.  If the Falmes leaked it, it would make sense to use to manage expectations.  "BT is working hard to get the deal done, but the agent wants an extra $1.5m".  Fans look at this type of statement as confirmation that BT is not the problem; he's trying to get Johnny at a reasonable cost.    

If the agent wants Johnny to get more than $7-7.5m, then he should be getting those endorsement lined up.  

I can't see it being the agent.  It provide no value to the player to detail what he is asking for.  If the Falmes leaked it, it would make sense to use to manage expectations.  "BT is working hard to get the deal done, but the agent wants an extra $1.5m".  Fans look at this type of statement as confirmation that BT is not the problem; he's trying to get Johnny at a reasonable cost.    

If the agent wants Johnny to get more than $7-7.5m, then he should be getting those endorsement lined up.  

could be, but in my experience and from what I understand in the vast majority of cases the agents leak the info and the team tries to keep it quiet. 

I don't view this as that big a deal though. Sill think they will get a deal done and it will be in the 7mill range plus or minus 250K depending on term. 

could be, but in my experience and from what I understand in the vast majority of cases the agents leak the info and the team tries to keep it quiet. 

I don't view this as that big a deal though. Sill think they will get a deal done and it will be in the 7mill range plus or minus 250K depending on term. 

I think you are right about dollars.  No more than $7.5m.  No less than $7m.  

Sounds like the desired affect is being experienced. :D  For the longest time, most people here didn't even consider $7m to be realistic, in fact most figure less than $6.5m.

I find leaks are sometimes a clever preemptive tool for damage control.

Like Giordano for example. Initially, some thought $5, $6, $7, and then we get hit with $9 via a leak. After that, $9 begins to do its mental work on the fan base and sets into our minds. Then, weeks with no update info.

After dreading the final number for a few weeks, a deal is reached at $6.75 and that number is heralded as a great deal. It becomes a perceived win for the player in terms of financial ethics and a win for the team in terms of low cap hit. Both sides ride off into the sunset like heroes. The fan base forgets they ever thought it would be $5 or $6.

So, let us have $8 set into our minds for Johhny until the World Cup is over. Johnny and the Flames will reach an agreement two days before the season begins at $7.25 and that number will be perceived as a win for Johnny and the Flames and no one will remember they thought the number should be under $7.

I think it's good news. If term was the issue I would be concerned. But if they cut that dollar figure down the middle and your at around 7.25 on a long term deal.

I think it's good news. If term was the issue I would be concerned. But if they cut that dollar figure down the middle and your at around 7.25 on a long term deal.

Maybe Gaudreau wants around 7.5 - 7.75 while Treliving wants to pay out 6.5. Gaudreau's camp may not think that 7.25 is enough if it's closer to 8 and BT doesn't want to go too far above Giordano's contract.

Is 7.5 too much?

It seems to me that the main issue here is just not knowing what Johnny is really worth. If he had a little more time in the league to show what he is really about, it would be much easier to estimate his actual value. Two points in time simply do not represent a trend. Treliving will look like a total tool if Johnny earns Tarasenko dollars and drops into the 60 point range this year. The team will suffer too.

I understand that we will shed some heavy contracts before long, and I understand why we overpaid players like Stajan, Wideman, and Engelland, but it is a little problematic that we are running against the cap while putting out a near basement team. 

• Like 1

It seems to me that the main issue here is just not knowing what Johnny is really worth. If he had a little more time in the league to show what he is really about, it would be much easier to estimate his actual value. Two points in time simply do not represent a trend. Treliving will look like a total tool if Johnny earns Tarasenko dollars and drops into the 60 point range this year. The team will suffer too.

I understand that we will shed some heavy contracts before long, and I understand why we overpaid players like Stajan, Wideman, and Engelland, but it is a little problematic that we are running against the cap while putting out a near basement team. 

I think we have seen all of what JG is and he should only get better with maturity. I don't think 7.25M is out of the question if you have given SM 6.5M. BT should be able to juggle future contracts to others with JG and SM at these numbers. Good deal for all.

I think we have seen all of what JG is and he should only get better with maturity. I don't think 7.25M is out of the question if you have given SM 6.5M. BT should be able to juggle future contracts to others with JG and SM at these numbers. Good deal for all.

But what's the term at 7.25?

Umm, I think the fact he isn't as good on the road hurts him a bit. It tells me he still can't dominate. He can dominate when the match ups are in our favour at home. But on the road he gets the best defenders against him.

It's a team game but you at least want him to produce over 0.5ppg on the road to give us a better chance of winning.

Does he get better on the road, and is that a product of not having a bigger 3rd winger on their line?

• Like 1

But what's the term at 7.25?

I'm not fussy what the term is so long as the money always makes him marketable in a trade. Personally I think he is worth marginally more than Monahan at this stage of their careers. Gaudreau has contributed more to Monahan's numbers than the other way around.

Just get er done BT.

85c6efd1dad02e35689f9bd6bfddbdb7.jpg

Click pic for link to article.

Yes, every game he plays, especially among these peers and audience, the more expensive he gets. $7.5mm is looking like a bargain.

Also, have to say Matthews has been fairly impressive for a guy that hasn't even played a game yet. I think the year in Switzerland playing amongst men and growing up quick must've really helped. He looks ready now.

• Like 1

I know I'm alone on this...but I would trade him.

Ok...get your guns out lol

Let me guess, for a young asset. Got to decrease that team mean age.

I know I'm alone on this...but I would trade him.

Ok...get your guns out lol

Ok, so an Anaheim blogger on HB suggested the following trade:

Johnny Hockey for Rakell and Lindholm.  One RFA for two RFA's.

The blogger suggested it was a fair trade for both teams, but most comments said that while the deal may be fair on paper, Calgary would never consider it for the loss of star power.  CGY would need to protect 8 skaters that way, and would lose someone they covet.

What would you suggest as a trade that would satisfy two teams and not leave any decent players unprotected in the coming draft?