The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
s4xon

Johnny 'Hockey' Gaudreau

16 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How many points will Johnny Hockey score in his sophomore season?

• 40-50
    • 50-60
    • 60-70
    • 70-80
    • 80-90
    • 90-100
    • 100+

I don't understand why people think the World Cup of hockey is going to have any impact on contract negotiations.

Flames have had Johnny's rights for 5 years and have watched him play in the NHL for 2 years.A few weeks of him playing in a hockey exhibition/cash grab is not going to teach them anything they don't already know. World cup isn't going to affect the contract neogtiations in even the slightest possible way. 

The People,

They traded Subban because they didn't like him and thought the culture he added to the room was not aligned with their vision. I think it was more a personality clash then anything else.

They maybe willing to trade just anyone, but my gut says no. Price is the best goalie and we all saw what not having him did to Montreal. So if the team outside of goaltending continues to improve then their chances at a cup does as well.

I'd love Price to be a Flame, but not thinking it'll happen. Plus I prefer us to be a little more set on the roster before Price Caliber is with us. I don't want to mask deficiencies like Kipper did.

But then it's the chicken or the egg argument. I still want a good goalie.

I don't understand why people think the World Cup of hockey is going to have any impact on contract negotiations.

Flames have had Johnny's rights for 5 years and have watched him play in the NHL for 2 years.A few weeks of him playing in a hockey exhibition/cash grab is not going to teach them anything they don't already know. World cup isn't going to affect the contract neogtiations in even the slightest possible way. 

I'm also cynical of the tournament but the best players are in it and Johnny is playing with, and against the best players in the world.  It's actually a great place to evaluate him.  For reference, I think Iggy hit an entirely new level of stardom in the 2002 Olympics

• Like 1

There has been no indications that the player wishes to leave. As politely correct as I agree some players can be, JG strikes me as a guy that has been raised well. I could agree with your assumption but really is his asking price out of line. Typical negotiations in anything seller wants high buyer wants low, find common ground.  Either agent or GM are out of bounds yet. I will go out a state that if he has a good tournament, the ball is in JG favor. The only way he doesn't get signed is because management feels he isn't worth the price others would pay. Now that will cause the boat to rock in the manner you speak of.

Nothing is clear as to whether he wishes to stay or not.  He says yes, and makes out that he and Mony should just sign the same contract and be done with it, yet obviously has not passed that instruction on the his agent, so who really knows?  

Don't know if this is true or not, and there was no context that said it was a signing or just the ask...but it was reported by Chris Nichols.  Dreger was talking about a lot of things....

Dreger: I couldn't get #Flames or my sources there to confirm reported Gaudreau numbers, but I was told 'it is a boatload of money.' 1040

I'm not going to put much stock in this tweet, since Dreger didn't even tweet it himself.  If anything further is sai, I will update.

The Flames (according to Francis?) are rumored to be offering an AAV somewhere between SM and Gio.  If JG statistically finishes near the top at the World Cup, out pacing Kane and Tarasenko, would you not think that would support his case for $’s much > than what the Flames are offering?  You refer to it as a cash grab but it’s the best players in the world, representing their country, and playing to WIN!  JG has a great opportunity to fill his pockets here as well.

• Like 1

The Flames (according to Francis?) are rumored to be offering an AAV somewhere between SM and Gio.  If JG statistically finishes near the top at the World Cup, out pacing Kane and Tarasenko, would you not think that would support his case for $’s much > than what the Flames are offering?  You refer to it as a cash grab but it’s the best players in the world, representing their country, and playing to WIN!  JG has a great opportunity to fill his pockets here as well.

No I don't think it will bolster his case in the slightest. He was in the top 10 in scoring last year so why exactly is a two week tournament going to support his case he can score with the best in the world when he has already proven he can?

What if Johnny has a bad tournmanet, would you expect the Flames to lower their offer or for him to be willing to accept a lower offer? I think the Flames know exactly who Johnny is and how he plays in this tournmanet will not change their opinion whatsoever. I dont' think a short tournament changes who a player is at all. 

If Johnny becomes the face of the tournament, sure.

I'm not worried about it.

He's good, but imho being over-rated.

Time will tell, perhaps I'm wrong.

The Czech game tomorrow will be telling.

I'll buy in if they make the Czechs look like Team Europe.

I'm also cynical of the tournament but the best players are in it and Johnny is playing with, and against the best players in the world.  It's actually a great place to evaluate him.  For reference, I think Iggy hit an entirely new level of stardom in the 2002 Olympics

I don't think you change your player evaluations of the last 5 years based on a few weeks in a tournament. 

3 of the top 5 scorers at the 2014 Olympic were Mikael Granlund, JVR and Michael Grabner. 

Pavol Demitra lead the 2010 Olympics in scoring and Nik Hagman was a PPG player.

I woudl argue if you are changing your evaluation based on a short trounament your are more likely to be making an error than sound judemgent. Gaudreau has enough of a body of work that I dont' think the World Cup is going to chagne anything. Will it maybe make him more high profile, like it did for Iginla, for sure but I dont' think that impacts the contract negotiation. 

I hear you, but have to disagree, and there's two reasons why.  First, others get to see first-hand what we already know, which ups his "value" league-wise and can be used by the agent to strengthen their case.   Secondly, in a head-to-head with the best in the world and you come out on top (assuming....) its VERY clear what the pecking order is vis a vis contracts and value.  IF Gaudreau leads NA to 1st place and is at or near the top of the scoring stats, it'll be like winning the Stanley Cup MVP and I think yes, it WILL make a difference.  

I don't think you change your player evaluations of the last 5 years based on a few weeks in a tournament. 

3 of the top 5 scorers at the 2014 Olympic were Mikael Granlund, JVR and Michael Grabner. 

Pavol Demitra lead the 2010 Olympics in scoring and Nik Hagman was a PPG player.

I woudl argue if you are changing your evaluation based on a short trounament your are more likely to be making an error than sound judemgent. Gaudreau has enough of a body of work that I dont' think the World Cup is going to chagne anything. Will it maybe make him more high profile, like it did for Iginla, for sure but I dont' think that impacts the contract negotiation. 

For Iggy, it was more than just making him more high profile.  He did it against the best players in the biggest game.  It's one thing to do it in a regular season NHL game and it's quite another to do it in game 7 like Messier did against the Devils.  I'm not sure how big the world cup is but if he's able to elevate his game against the likes of team Canada / US in a big game, he moves up a notch in my books.

• Like 1

For Iggy, it was more than just making him more high profile.  He did it against the best players in the biggest game.  It's one thing to do it in a regular season NHL game and it's quite another to do it in game 7 like Messier did against the Devils.  I'm not sure how big the world cup is but if he's able to elevate his game against the likes of team Canada / US in a big game, he moves up a notch in my books.

This tournament will have no influence on their current discussion. I suggest everyone quit buying into the hype.

So again I will ask this to those who think this has the chance to up his value.

If he plays poorly do you expect him to then agree to a discount? 

So again I will ask this to those who think this has the chance to up his value.

I have to believe they are very close in closing this deal with Gaudreau. I would have no problem having Gaudreau as the highest paid player in around 7.25M but not 1M plus more than the closest player contract on a growing team.

This has about the same impact as McDavid not scoring in exhibition games.  None.  

• Like 1

I have to believe they are very close in closing this deal with Gaudreau. I would have no problem having Gaudreau as the highest paid player in around 7.25M but not 1M plus more than the closest player contract on a growing team.

The only thing I can say about the difference is that Gio is the highest paid right now at $6.75m.  That was a deal signed for a 32 year old defenseman.  Ekblad signed for $7.5m, which is a better comp for impact and age.  I'm not suggesting that Johnny should make this, but he is worth more than Gio.  If it came down to JH not playing or paying $1m more than Gio, I would pay the player.  

I believe Johnny’s value has a floor when it comes to negotiations based on what he did the last two seasons.  No, I do not see a scenario where his value drops by playing in this tournament.  I do however see an opportunity for him to move up the food chain if he impresses amongst the best.  This is the risk the Flames took by not signing him prior to the World Cup imo.

The People,

They traded Subban because they didn't like him and thought the culture he added to the room was not aligned with their vision. I think it was more a personality clash then anything else.

They maybe willing to trade just anyone, but my gut says no. Price is the best goalie and we all saw what not having him did to Montreal. So if the team outside of goaltending continues to improve then their chances at a cup does as well.

I'd love Price to be a Flame, but not thinking it'll happen. Plus I prefer us to be a little more set on the roster before Price Caliber is with us. I don't want to mask deficiencies like Kipper did.

But then it's the chicken or the egg argument. I still want a good goalie.

Well, it's like when the Flames had Kipper in his prime but just didn't have the pieces in front of him to get the job done.  Didn't have a true #1 Center.  Was relying too much on Iginla's line.  The Flames would have done well had they moved Iginla a season or two sooner, and at the same time, moved Kipper a season or two sooner.  We'd be way ahead of where we are today had we done so.  But we let our hearts do the thinking for us rather than our hockey intelligence.

Sure, i don't think the Habs will trade Price and neither do i think the Flames will trade Gaudreau but just speculating that it would be a decent deal for both teams.  The Habs just ain't going to win the Cup with Price masking their team's deficiencies and at the same time, preventing them from being bad enough to draft a bluechip impact player to help.  They look destined to be stuck in mediocrity.  Do they let their emotions manage their team or do they make the hard decision?  I don't know, it's up to them but given they'd trade Subban, say what you will about his off ice distractions, was a key piece to their team.  Perhaps they would like to get a young Gaudreau and retool.  Just sayin.

And ya, chicken and the egg argument.  I don't think Brian Elliott is elite and St.Louis makes goalies look better than they really are.  Still, our hopes hang on Jon Gillies.  Maybe we just have to be patient and wait for Gillies to come through.

If he disappears against a big physical team like team Canada ?  It won't help him.

Only the unspeakable/unthinkable will lower his value...

Otherwise, this tourny is nothing more than a glorified pre-season exhibition. Pre-season stats don't count.

If he plays poorly and is nothing special that weakens his argument that he actually is in the Elite top-level, in spite of the limited career to date.  I wouldn't say he takes a "decrease" but more likely his camp has to move the majority of the distance between the two.  The issue is he only has two seasons so there is an argument that we need to see more, kind of like the Bouma argument but not so much.  

Well, it's like when the Flames had Kipper in his prime but just didn't have the pieces in front of him to get the job done.  Didn't have a true #1 Center.  Was relying too much on Iginla's line.  The Flames would have done well had they moved Iginla a season or two sooner, and at the same time, moved Kipper a season or two sooner.  We'd be way ahead of where we are today had we done so.  But we let our hearts do the thinking for us rather than our hockey intelligence.

Sure, i don't think the Habs will trade Price and neither do i think the Flames will trade Gaudreau but just speculating that it would be a decent deal for both teams.  The Habs just ain't going to win the Cup with Price masking their team's deficiencies and at the same time, preventing them from being bad enough to draft a bluechip impact player to help.  They look destined to be stuck in mediocrity.  Do they let their emotions manage their team or do they make the hard decision?  I don't know, it's up to them but given they'd trade Subban, say what you will about his off ice distractions, was a key piece to their team.  Perhaps they would like to get a young Gaudreau and retool.  Just sayin.

And ya, chicken and the egg argument.  I don't think Brian Elliott is elite and St.Louis makes goalies look better than they really are.  Still, our hopes hang on Jon Gillies.  Maybe we just have to be patient and wait for Gillies to come through.

If the Habs traded Price to go to the sewer for high picks they certainly don't need Gaudreau. A package of good prospects & picks would help them come out of that faster.

Something like 3 of the Jets recent high picks like Kyle Connor, Nic Petan & Logan Stanley mature as they add those high picks rather than having Gaudreau score inconvenient goals to keep their pick in the neh range. For price adding a 1st to 3 top end prospects isn't out of the question & Elhers wouldn't be off limits. Price could do for the Jets what Roy did for the Habs.

Jets are only 1 example.

If the Habs traded Price to go to the sewer for high picks they certainly don't need Gaudreau. A package of good prospects & picks would help them come out of that faster.

Something like 3 of the Jets recent high picks like Kyle Connor, Nic Petan & Logan Stanley mature as they add those high picks rather than having Gaudreau score inconvenient goals to keep their pick in the neh range. For price adding a 1st to 3 top end prospects isn't out of the question & Elhers wouldn't be off limits. Price could do for the Jets what Roy did for the Habs.

Jets are only 1 example.

Gaudreau didn't seem to bother the Flames from going to the sewer last season.  

Ouch, i know i know...

Im Really concerned if he will even sign a contract the longer it take the worse it gets so you want this done sooner rather then later

Don't get too worked up over it.  Johnny will be suiting up for game 1, if not the pre-season.  Actually, I'm quite confident he will be signed by the time the WCH is done.  His agent isn't dumb.  He's holding out as long as he can without harming his player's rep.  The pressure will be on BT to get him signed, so paying a bit over $7m to get long term isn't going to be an issue.  Nailing down the fine points is probably the biggest stumbling point - signing bonus, actual salary at the end, increasing or decreasing salary...