The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
s4xon

Johnny 'Hockey' Gaudreau

16 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How many points will Johnny Hockey score in his sophomore season?

• 40-50
    • 50-60
    • 60-70
    • 70-80
    • 80-90
    • 90-100
    • 100+

6 minutes ago, waterwolf96 said:

Restricted free agent left wing Johnny Gaudreau signed a six-year contract with the Calgary Flames on Monday. Financial terms of the contract were not released, but TSN reported an average annual value of $6.75 million, a total value of $40.5 million.

There are on GeneralFanager.com

$6.75m every year, with a $3m signing bonus this season and $3.5m in 2020/21.  That last year coincides with a possible lockout year if they don't agree to extending the CBA and can't agree on a new one in time.  Johnny gets paid anyway.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

There are on GeneralFanager.com

$6.75m every year, with a $3m signing bonus this season and $3.5m in 2020/21.  That last year coincides with a possible lockout year if they don't agree to extending the CBA and can't agree on a new one in time.  Johnny gets paid anyway.

Yeah, I'm planning on a lockout that season. Last two times the CBA's been up for discussion it's gone to lockout. Why would this next time be any different?

16 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

as the riverbank said.. My sediments exactly...:lol:

A geology joke! Yes!!

Buying only 1 UFA year isn't ideal.  But saving 500k in cap space for the next six combined with a little less risk is a good trade off.  When you consider we have Brodie, Gaudreau, Monahan, Hamilton, and Giordano all locked in long term for less then 7-million you have to be happy.  

3 minutes ago, xstrike said:

A geology joke! Yes!!

I seriously think the underlying sediment in this deal is a rapidly drained, coarse grained, sandy glaciofluvial till.

As much as it seemed like dense lacustrine clay with a ton of mottling.

• Like 1

Definitely think Johnny overplayed his hand here because he really didn't have any leverage. $40 million is a nice chunk of change though. I definitely can see his frustration in his post but hopefully he can move past that now and just play hockey. 48 hours+ till game time. Can't wait. With solid goaltending and a productive second line we should be very competitive each night. Go Flames!! 

• Like 1

Reasonable compromise. Not an ideal deal for either side I'm sure but a pretty decent job of meeting in the middle. The 7 or 8th year might have been nice but the extra 750 to 1 mill per year in cap space could come in handy 

Good thing that this signing did not stretch out past the beginning of the season...

We might have had to change his nickname to Johnny Cash...  

9 minutes ago, Carty said:

Good thing that this signing did not stretch out past the beginning of the season...

We might have had to change his nickname to Johnny Cash...  

Or Johnny Paycheck.  He's actually worth it as much as any hockey can be.

27 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Did either side "win" in this signing?

We've just witnessed how big of a distraction it is in camp and cap-watching.

It really was, and may continue to be.   I think it was a reasonable compromise but not sure either side sees it that way.

Hoping Gaudreau can be a positive force this year on and off the ice.   

This is a fair deal. I figured that Johnny was worth around what Monahan got. I suspect that he will be great for years to come, but he only had two years to prove himself. That is why the reports of $8 million seemed a stretch to me.

I do not think he sounds negative in his post about the deal. It is easy to read into things.

I cannot imagine what it must be like to bring in that kind of cash at that age (or any age for that matter). I would like to think that I would be responsible about it, but I am not so sure. I'm thinkin' that I could blow the signing bonus pretty fast. :ph34r::blink:

1 minute ago, Cowtownguy said:

This is a fair deal. I figured that Johnny was worth around what Monahan got. I suspect that he will be great for years to come, but he only had two years to prove himself. That is why the reports of $8 million seemed a stretch to me.

I do not think he sounds negative in his post about the deal. It is easy to read into things.

I cannot imagine what it must be like to bring in that kind of cash at that age (or any age for that matter). I would like to think that I would be responsible about it, but I am not so sure. I'm thinkin' that I could blow the signing bonus pretty fast. :ph34r::blink:

Bonuses aside... He got exactly what Gio got.

5 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Bonuses aside... He got exactly what Gio got.

What does that mean "bonuses aside", if his annual is 6.75 x 6 = 40.50M plus 6.50M in bonuses = 47M divided by 6 = 7.8M, I would say he is very close to what he wanted in actual dollars.

4 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

What does that mean "bonuses aside", if his annual is 6.75 x 6 = 40.50M plus 6.50M in bonuses = 47M divided by 6 = 7.8M, I would say he is very close to what he wanted in actual dollars.

Doesnt the bonuses get included in his AAV? 

I thought they do and they're just what he gets guaranteed if there are work stoppages. 

10 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

In the years he gets signing bonuses his actual salary drops to roughly $3-3.5m, so the signing bonus isn't on top of the $6.75m that season, keeping his AAV at $6.75.

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Doesnt the bonuses get included in his AAV? 

I thought they do and they're just what he gets guaranteed if there are work stoppages. 

This is correct. Bonuses are counted in the AAV. The signing bonuses just ensure he will get money paid to him even if there was a lockout. 

Signing "bonus" in the NHL just refers to a lump sum of money that will be paid to the player on a date or schedule. It's always included in AAV so the term "bonus" is a bit misleading. 

I gotta say that I think BT is doing a heck of a job with our contracts. I like the signing, and understand the AAV of his contract would have to go up if we wanted a longer term. 6 years is good, I'm glad JH and Mony's contracts expire in different years, and I even heard Bollig was waived... Things are shaping up! (Too bad we lost Nakladal though)

4 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Come on you guys, you have no idea what the sediment is between the 2 parties.

4 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

as the riverbank said.. My sediments exactly...:lol:

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I seriously think the underlying sediment in this deal is a rapidly drained, coarse grained, sandy glaciofluvial till.

As much as it seemed like dense lacustrine clay with a ton of mottling.

Not to over-consolidate the issue, but the two sides permeated ideas and thoughts in a fluvial manner until an agreement could be deposited.  Bravo!

Unreal cap management by BT.  Everything he has done has been solid: The trades he makes, the players he signs to the dollars they sign for, filling specific needs, adding excellent pieces not only to our on-ice team but the management team as well (jury still out on GG), being patient and calculated rather than impatient and reactionary....the guy is one incredible GM in his short body of work here.  Pretty stoked to see what he does next year when we get all those bad contracts and upgradeable players coming off the books.

Read on TSN that Johnny Hockey's cap hit is 44th highest in the league.  That's incredible.  Particularly because he's tied for top cap hit on our team.  So we've got an awesome nucleus of young up-and-coming stars and solid vets just entering their primes locked up for the next 6 years or more and the highest paid players among them are getting paid 44th highest in the league.  That's incredible!  Also it sets one heck of a ceiling for our young guns coming up.  Clearly the cap ceiling was the Gio contract - as reported - and if Johnny can't make more than that, then Bennett, Tkachuk and whoever else comes in sure won't either.  Gives a strong message to future agents that this GM plays a helluva game of hard ball.

Really like the signing.  Can't wait for puck drop!

Reading the article from the front page sure made me feel better about Johnny's "mindset" compared to his earlier tweet.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/gaudreau-extremely-excited-to-get-deal-done/c-282547156

Specifically where his mom is quoted as saying...

"It was kind of an added advantage that he got to come home. We thought it would only be for a couple of days until they ironed out the differences.

"It ended up being much longer than that. The good news is he got the contract, is on his way and won't miss any games.

"That's what he was concerned about and upset about.

"It's good. He'll be fine. He's just anxious to get back and get playing. He loves Calgary. That's all he kept saying. 'I love Calgary. I love the fans there. I love my teammates. I just want to get back to that.'

"He wanted to be there with his teammates."

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kiweh said:

Reading the article from the front page sure made me feel better about Johnny's "mindset" compared to his earlier tweet.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/gaudreau-extremely-excited-to-get-deal-done/c-282547156

Specifically where his mom is quoted as saying...

"It was kind of an added advantage that he got to come home. We thought it would only be for a couple of days until they ironed out the differences.

"It ended up being much longer than that. The good news is he got the contract, is on his way and won't miss any games.

"That's what he was concerned about and upset about.

"It's good. He'll be fine. He's just anxious to get back and get playing. He loves Calgary. That's all he kept saying. 'I love Calgary. I love the fans there. I love my teammates. I just want to get back to that.'

"He wanted to be there with his teammates."

What I found interesting about the trip BT took was that he met with JH, his family and his agent.  His parents are so grounded that they may have talked Johnny and his agent into doing what was best for everyone.  He's still young and may have been leaving too much of his future in the agent's hands.  He did not want to miss any of the season.

In the end, he gets to have UFA leverage after 6 years.  He left some money on the table, but will stand to make more in future dollars later in his career.  Smart.