The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
s4xon

Johnny 'Hockey' Gaudreau

16 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How many points will Johnny Hockey score in his sophomore season?

• 40-50
    • 50-60
    • 60-70
    • 70-80
    • 80-90
    • 90-100
    • 100+

13 hours ago, Carty said:

Remember this?...   Still makes me smile...

That is wonderful! (no sarcasm) Now he has to add an ulterior motive to that kind of stuff... SCORING!

Douglas Gilmour was a topnotch playmaker too, and he wasn't scared of scoring. Gooder is so close to being the absolute cream of the crop in The NHL today.

12 hours ago, conundrumed said:

There are a lot of times he tries to go short side, so I think his off side might give him a better perspective.

He definitely should be working hard on his shot. "He should shoot more" doesn't exactly roll off my tongue...

His shot's pretty accurate, but good ends there. Mony's an old skool snipe, Tkachuk is trickery. Do these guys not all try to learn from each other in practice? lol

JG's a phenomenal set up guy

And those feet, just wow. His foot speed and edgework, from the word go, astounded me.

That hasn't changed.

Best I've ever seen tbh.

Who can argue any of these points?

I have never seen any better footwork and edgework either.

Can the Flames bounce back tonight?

I do love Johnny Hockey, but I find myself really wishing that he'd find the net more. That might be a tall order. Nevertheless, I never think he's going to score the game winning goal in the last minute or two, and I never think that he's going to tie the game with only a few seconds left as he may have done in previous seasons. 

Admittedly, that's more an eye test than anything else, but he doesn't seem as poised to score a big goal. He's still fourth on our team in scoring, and first in points. So I love what he brings, and I love to watch him play. I hope that he's here for a long time - but if I had to pick something, that'd be it. 

Love. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I do love Johnny Hockey, but I find myself really wishing that he'd find the net more. That might be a tall order. Nevertheless, I never think he's going to score the game winning goal in the last minute or two, and I never think that he's going to tie the game with only a few seconds left as he may have done in previous seasons. 

Admittedly, that's more an eye test than anything else, but he doesn't seem as poised to score a big goal. He's still fourth on our team in scoring, and first in points. So I love what he brings, and I love to watch him play. I hope that he's here for a long time - but if I had to pick something, that'd be it. 

Love. 

He has been a bit snake bite this season, maybe the failed break aways took away some of his confidence for shooting. I know what you are saying and this could be fixed with another feeder on that line such as Tkachuk. Right now he has two snipers in Monahan and Ferland.

• Like 1

Johnny SHOULD be a Hart finalist. We'd be cellar dwellers without him.

However I doubt he will. Especially when you got the TSN media like Seravalli pumping McDavid's tires for getting 3 hat tricks this season. Funny thing is 2 of those hat-tricks the 3rd goal was an empty netter, really not that impressive.

Anyway Johnny has been awesome this season

2 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love. 

Picky, picky....:D

That is so true about him.  He's always in the right place, but too often sees Monahan at the right target.  Considering Monahan's 10 GWG this season, it's a smart choice.  The problem is that Monahan is double-clutching and getting weak shots off, where he's normally Money-hands.  5 games in a row with no goals.  The eye test on Monahan is worse.  Point blank chances.

How many breakaways has Johnny had and got tripped with no call, gets a penalty himself or flubs the shot?  Too many to remember.  He has two good shots that he rarely uses.  Backhander bar down and off-wing high wrister.  I hate the LW high shot from the left circle; it's too high with very little net showing.  

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

He has been a bit snake bite this season, maybe the failed break aways took away some of his confidence for shooting. I know what you are saying and this could be fixed with another feeder on that line such as Tkachuk. Right now he has two snipers in Monahan and Ferland.

Ferland hasn't scored in 9 games. The consistency thing is rearing it's ugly head again.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

Ferland hasn't scored in 9 games. The consistency thing is rearing it's ugly head again.

Monahan isn't far behind. It is very telling when this line goes cold. Game time

Gaudreau was really undisciplined during this tournament. It is hard to see on this video but he takes a hefty two hand slash up high on Lindholm. I am actually fine with this, partly because I could care less if it hurt the US and because I think it will buy him some room in the NHL next year. Just hope that the undisciplined play doesn't turn into a regular thing for him because that really hurt this team last year from players like Bennett, Hamilton and Backlund.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2018 at 11:43 AM, JTech780 said:

Gaudreau was really undisciplined during this tournament. It is hard to see on this video but he takes a hefty two hand slash up high on Lindholm. I am actually fine with this, partly because I could care less if it hurt the US and because I think it will buy him some room in the NHL next year. Just hope that the undisciplined play doesn't turn into a regular thing for him because that really hurt this team last year from players like Bennett, Hamilton and Backlund.

I remember back in the day when Daniel Briere was interviewed after getting suspended for 3 games for a vicious two hand swing at someone's head, he said, "that's just the price I have to pay to broadcast a message to the other players in the league and give myself space out there". Not verbatim but that was the general idea.

Good on Johnny.  You gotta do what you gotta do or else they gonna push you around.

51 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I remember back in the day when Daniel Briere was interviewed after getting suspended for 3 games for a vicious two hand swing at someone's head, he said, "that's just the price I have to pay to broadcast a message to the other players in the league and give myself space out there". Not verbatim but that was the general idea.

Good on Johnny.  You gotta do what you gotta do or else they gonna push you around.

Now get busy working on that lousy shot...hands 6" apart and make that twig a slingshot!

And stop being a primadonna, for god sakes.

Crosscheck him in the teeth, as Sutter used to say.

Crosby and Kane had to do the same thing. Both got cheap shots earlier in their career and had to stand up for themselves. I think johnnys started to learn thst since the Staal slash 

How good has this guy been this year? Certainly top 10 in my books. 

-He has cleaned up his turnovers

-Added some tools to his tool box on top of just gaining blue line then the predictable button hook

-Back checking to break up the rush

-Driving the offense

We start to take for granted what he does and it often goes without saying but JHG has been playing awesome lately.

• Like 3

The biggest change i've noticed this year in Gaudreu has nothing to do with his play it's his attitude. I found it frustrating in years past how much negative emotion he would show on the ice. Complaining about a call, yapping, screaming coming off the ice, slamming sticks after missed opportunities etc etc. I think that stuff permeates through the team when you have your best player acting childish like that and it's why I've said for a couple years now that until Monahan and Gaudreau took that step forward as leaders the team would be stuck spinning it's wheels. 

Huge props to both because I think both have done that and it's refreshing. The negativity is gone and if something doesn't workout they just bury their head and make it happen the next time. I think its made a big difference. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

The biggest change i've noticed this year in Gaudreu has nothing to do with his play it's his attitude. I found it frustrating in years past how much negative emotion he would show on the ice. Complaining about a call, yapping, screaming coming off the ice, slamming sticks after missed opportunities etc etc. I think that stuff permeates through the team when you have your best player acting childish like that and it's why I've said for a couple years now that until Monahan and Gaudreau took that step forward as leaders the team would be stuck spinning it's wheels. 

Huge props to both because I think both have done that and it's refreshing. The negativity is gone and if something doesn't workout they just bury their head and make it happen the next time. I think its made a big difference. 

I agree and it comes with maturity and likely this new Coach's message. Gaudreau is even playing some defense.

• Like 1

On 2018-12-28 at 9:54 AM, cross16 said:

I think that you are correct. Johnny has really matured in his development. After watching him play for Team North America, it was obvious that if you give this guy some talent, he has the capacity to raise his game even further. He has done that since Treliving acquired Lindholm. IMO, you need a triple threat on the first line. A pair with a dinglenut sidekick is insufficient. Johnny did a lot more than McBooboo last night. 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 11:54 AM, cross16 said:

Not surprising in that getting beyond that stuff he is now firmly a top player in the league hot on the heels of superstar.

Crosby was the same way. All of that moaning gets in the way of focusing. The refs are going to do what they're going to do, can't let it into your psyche, just play hockey.

I'd surmise BP vs GG could have played a role with GG not worrying about it and BP saying "I'll do the whining, just play".

BP had brought up, "a coachable moment" re JG in the preseason.

Not saying it regarded the mindset, but sure makes me wonder.

And I do love that line, "a coachable moment". It has no underlying premise. lol

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 9:54 AM, cross16 said:

Yes, there has been a change.  He still gets wound up about the missed chances, but that is the competetive part of a good player.  It's not negative, it gets him going harder.  I'm not a fan of his complaining to the refs, but that has subsided as well.  He moves on.  

What has changed for me is that he recognizes that he can score goals just as easily as passing it off.  He has more options, but now is able to look pass and then shoot.  The other part is his defensive awareness has improved.  He's never going to be a shot blocker or use the body effectively, but he skating with the players and stripping the puck if they are being too casual.  He's limiting their passing options.

I don;t care about the All Star vote or the scoring race, just that getting points is linked to winning games.  With a solid 1-2-3 top line, there is less chance of shutting them down.  

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

What has changed for me is that he recognizes that he can score goals just as easily as passing it off.  He has more options, but now is able to look pass and then shoot.  

I think Johnny himself pointed out that has to do with Lindholm being here. He said himself that the last couple years with Ferland he had to be the passer because Ferland is a shooter, and while Monahan gets his assists, is also generally a shooter. He pointed out that Lindholm is definitely equal parts passer and shooter and that allows him to make different plays than he used to because there is a better chance for him to get the crisp pass now.

9 hours ago, Khrox said:

I think Johnny himself pointed out that has to do with Lindholm being here. He said himself that the last couple years with Ferland he had to be the passer because Ferland is a shooter, and while Monahan gets his assists, is also generally a shooter. He pointed out that Lindholm is definitely equal parts passer and shooter and that allows him to make different plays than he used to because there is a better chance for him to get the crisp pass now.

I would say Lindholm is our best all round player. He even has Gaudreau's defense at a new level.

14 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Yes, there has been a change.  He still gets wound up about the missed chances, but that is the competetive part of a good player.  It's not negative, it gets him going harder.  I'm not a fan of his complaining to the refs, but that has subsided as well.  He moves on.  

What has changed for me is that he recognizes that he can score goals just as easily as passing it off.  He has more options, but now is able to look pass and then shoot.  The other part is his defensive awareness has improved.  He's never going to be a shot blocker or use the body effectively, but he skating with the players and stripping the puck if they are being too casual.  He's limiting their passing options.

I don;t care about the All Star vote or the scoring race, just that getting points is linked to winning games.  With a solid 1-2-3 top line, there is less chance of shutting them down.  

Agree, and having a better, and speedier Lindholm has made a huge difference.  They seem to have definitely matured, but as we see with the purple Gatorade, are still enjoying themselves too.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

I would say Lindholm is our best all round player. He even has Gaudreau's defense at a new level.

I would also say the fact that BP puts them in defensive situations puts the onus on them to defend. As a player with any kind of pride in their game, they’re going to try play good D. The goal is to score more than you let in. Any line should try to never be scored on.

with that said, I believe a good offence is better D. The last thing I want is to sit back on a lead. You stop doing Everything you’ve done to get the lead. It’s not your game anymore.

the Flames have been good at sticking it to teams for the most part.

46 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Nice touch!

Release the Skittles! lol

I just hope he doesn;t give any pointers to McDavid or Draisaitl.  :) 

The last thing we need is Draisaitl figuring out what it takes.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I just hope he doesn;t give any pointers to McDavid or Draisaitl.  :) 

The last thing we need is Draisaitl figuring out what it takes.

Would they listen regardless? lol

• Like 1