Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
s4xon

Johnny 'Hockey' Gaudreau

  

16 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. How many points will Johnny Hockey score in his sophomore season?

    • 40-50
      1
    • 50-60
      0
    • 60-70
      2
    • 70-80
      7
    • 80-90
      4
    • 90-100
      1
    • 100+
      1


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

 

My only issue with Gaudreau so far this series and I thought it was better last night, but he is playing a bit scared. He looks like he is afraid to get hit, and in the playoffs you need your guys to take hits to make plays. I know that's not his game, but you have to play harder in the playoffs. 

 

If Gaudreau is looking over his shoulder for the hit than he isn't looking for the next play. 

 

That being said I agree Monahan hasn't been there to support Gaudreau offensively or defensively. 

 

I see it a little differently. In the end this is going to sound semantical as I think in theory we're saying the same thing but I don't see Gaudreau shying away from physical play. One thing I've also noticed is Gaudreau has been trying to retrieve pucks on dump ins frequently in this series and thst isn't his game. I don't know why the flames are insisting on dump and chase, another argument, but they are and often it's Gaudreau as the first guy in trying to retrieve pucks. 

 

I do agree he he doesn't look as comfortable and as confident as you'd like but I just think it stems more from him being out of his comfort zone.  I dont really see it as a shying away from contact thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I’d like him to possibly do skating into the zone is when two-three guys key on him, ring it around the boards to Lindholm. Spread them out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, cross16 said:

 

I see it a little differently. In the end this is going to sound semantical as I think in theory we're saying the same thing but I don't see Gaudreau shying away from physical play. One thing I've also noticed is Gaudreau has been trying to retrieve pucks on dump ins frequently in this series and thst isn't his game. I don't know why the flames are insisting on dump and chase, another argument, but they are and often it's Gaudreau as the first guy in trying to retrieve pucks. 

 

I do agree he he doesn't look as comfortable and as confident as you'd like but I just think it stems more from him being out of his comfort zone.  I dont really see it as a shying away from contact thing. 

I definitely think Gaudreau is anticipating some hits which is rushing his decisions but I agree with you on the dump in strategy, that should be for Monahan and Lindholm going in for pucks. Lindholm does his part but the guy failing this line right now is Monahan.

Same goes for the Tkachuk line, Backlund is offering up very little support I the offense zone leaving Tkachuk and Frolik to fend for themselves.

The line of Bennett, Jankowski and Neal has been weak all season so maybe using Czarnik will spur them on, can't hurt now.

Then there is our awesome 4th line being successful with the dump in because they are prepared to do the work required to get and keep the puck.

Pretty sad when your 4th line is your best line in the playoffs.

GO FLAMES Go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, robrob74 said:

What I’d like him to possibly do skating into the zone is when two-three guys key on him, ring it around the boards to Lindholm. Spread them out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the Flamers keep playing the same zone entrance they have played for the last 3/4 years.. 3 forwards move to opposing blue line with the puck.... stand still picking their nose while dropping puck backwards to d man then try to enter without going offside

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given a new arena on the horizon, I can’t inagine the Flames owners wanting to open a new barn without Gaudreau, I would expect in 2 summers they make him a massive offer, potentially even the highest paid player in the league to try and get him to stay. 100+mill and the opportunity to be right up there with Iggy as the greatest Flame of all time could be tempting.

 

Long ways away, but certainly something to think about 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Given a new arena on the horizon, I can’t inagine the Flames owners wanting to open a new barn without Gaudreau, I would expect in 2 summers they make him a massive offer, potentially even the highest paid player in the league to try and get him to stay. 100+mill and the opportunity to be right up there with Iggy as the greatest Flame of all time could be tempting.

 

Long ways away, but certainly something to think about 

He will be gone by then IMO. I would give Gaudreau 2 more seasons here and trade him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This season has been a major disappointment IMO for Johnny.

 

His play fell off drastically after last year's bye week, since then he has played 84 regular season games, and in that time he has 67 points.

 

I get that he realistically isn't the 99 point player we saw last season, but this season is trending towards being his worst season as an NHLer.

 

I don't care as much about the points, it's the fact that you'd be hard pressed to name a game this season where he took over, or even played a key part in a game. I've got nothing off the top of my head. That's the concern for me, we all know he has struggled in big games for the most part, the games won't get any easier, and he hasn't played very well yet this season

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've seen it for quite some time now. Johnny is a detriment. He isn't physical enough for the league. It's like being shorthanded in the playoffs. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are 15+ players and coaches this year I would call a detriment long and I mean Long before I would call Johnny one. And yet HE must bear the cross????.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He might function better on one of the eastern teams that have more strength.

Do you think the Oilers might want him? Whoa! LOL... he could haunt us more than James Neal :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, redfire11 said:

There are 15+ players and coaches this year I would call a detriment long and I mean Long before I would call Johnny one. And yet HE must bear the cross????.

 

That is so true.

We aren;t losing because he isn;t putting up 3 points a game.

The defense sucks and so does the forward defensive coverage.

Where is Backlund and Gio and Hanifin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

That is so true.

We aren;t losing because he isn;t putting up 3 points a game.

The defense sucks and so does the forward defensive coverage.

Where is Backlund and Gio and Hanifin?

 

17 hours ago, redfire11 said:

There are 15+ players and coaches this year I would call a detriment long and I mean Long before I would call Johnny one. And yet HE must bear the cross????.

 

 

I would say a player like Gaudreau sets the tone. When he isn't going and creating nor back-checking, he is setting an example and the rest of the team follows. Last year, when he was rolling and back-checking, the team was following, when he stopped, the rest of the team stopped. It might not be just him, but it could be a coincidence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calling him a detriment is not fair. His play has fallen of a cliff for sure but the are several other players who you can say similar things about. 

 

that being said, in today's NHL if your best offensive player goes from elite talent to barely 3rd line caliber your team is going to struggle. You can double down on that for the Flames too because so much of their offense runs through him. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know there are other players who are not producing goals this year but that's not what I am talking about right now.

Johnny is the kind of player that will help a team like Calgary's get to the playoffs but he gets shut down in the playoffs similarly to how the Sedins were. I am tired too, of seeing him choose to stay outside and into the icing line for yet another extreme angle shot, time after time. Stuff like that.

Nothing against him for his skill, speed, and heart.

I would love to see him shine in the playoffs (for the Flames). I just don't see it happening by what I have seen so far.

I see him as a 'detriment' because a player with similar skills but having more physical prowess would fill a large unnecessary void.

I love to see him succeed but I am not at this point in time, a wholehearted Johnny fan. Let's hope the Flames make the playoffs and Johnny and the rest of the team proves me wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What it looks like to me, is Johnny wanting out of Calgary. Assuming that's the case, I'd prefer it to be sooner than later.

 

When he broke in to the league, he was right up there in takeaways, and HOUNDED players who had the puck. After he signed his current deal, imo, his work ethic has dropped season after season.

 

I don't know if his dads heart related incident is playing a part in this, or if its a life outside of hockey problem, but this guy is far from the 99 point player he was last year.

 

Ever since the 5 day break last season, he has not been the same. I don't know what happened, but its hard to watch how little heart he plays with night after night.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

What it looks like to me, is Johnny wanting out of Calgary. Assuming that's the case, I'd prefer it to be sooner than later.

 

When he broke in to the league, he was right up there in takeaways, and HOUNDED players who had the puck. After he signed his current deal, imo, his work ethic has dropped season after season.

 

I don't know if his dads heart related incident is playing a part in this, or if its a life outside of hockey problem, but this guy is far from the 99 point player he was last year.

 

Ever since the 5 day break last season, he has not been the same. I don't know what happened, but its hard to watch how little heart he plays with night after night.

 


 

last year he was great in the first half with playing 200ft. But it’s like he lost his identity when he signed. Maybe he is no longer the underdog who has to prove everyone right and it has him move away from the game he plays and now doesn’t do most of the things that make him successful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Johnny sees what we see in this team and decided to become a passenger himself. I’m sure he hears things from family and friends like “if it wasn’t for you, this team would be going nowhere” and maybe it started to sink in. I’m not sure I’d stick my neck on the line for a bunch of guys who wouldn’t do the same for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

What it looks like to me, is Johnny wanting out of Calgary. Assuming that's the case, I'd prefer it to be sooner than later.

 

Why would you immediately assume that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I agree that JH is significantly less impactful this season than last, I will also add the following:

  • Gio is way below last year's prodiction
  • Monahan and Lindholm are down
  • Hanifin is down
  • Backlund, Janko and Bennett are down

Is he frustrated?

For sure.

Does that mean he is the reason for the poor season?

Does he want to leave?

Is he mad that Tkachuk is making more coin?

 

No.

You want to trade him, fine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

While I agree that JH is significantly less impactful this season than last, I will also add the following:

  • Gio is way below last year's prodiction
  • Monahan and Lindholm are down
  • Hanifin is down
  • Backlund, Janko and Bennett are down

Is he frustrated?

For sure.

Does that mean he is the reason for the poor season?

Does he want to leave?

Is he mad that Tkachuk is making more coin?

 

No.

You want to trade him, fine.  

 

It isn't about the production it is about the effort level, and the effort level hasn't been anywhere near to the level it needs to be all season.

 

When one of your leaders and best players doesn't show up most nights, it has a trickle down effect on the rest of the team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

When one of your leaders and best players doesn't show up most nights, it has a trickle down effect on the rest of the team.

 

Agreed.

 

Moreover, this was totally evident against COL in the playoffs last year.  Mackinnon kept on keeping on and our D backed up and backed up... to the point where we were backing up to Jost, Compher, Kerfoot, etc.  We started respecting players who deserved no respect because Mackinnon was so scare.. but that's what a star player is supposed to do for you.  They open room for the other players on the team.

 

Last year, Gaudreau opened room for the whole team.  This year, he's invisible and none of our players are getting any space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, travel_dude said:

While I agree that JH is significantly less impactful this season than last, I will also add the following:

  • Gio is way below last year's prodiction
  • Monahan and Lindholm are down
  • Hanifin is down
  • Backlund, Janko and Bennett are down

Is he frustrated?

For sure.

Does that mean he is the reason for the poor season?

Does he want to leave?

Is he mad that Tkachuk is making more coin?

 

No.

You want to trade him, fine.  

See and I believe he's supposed to be the heart of this team.. many have disagreed with me when I said he doesn't drive it or even carry a line , so fine .

GIo and Lindholm may be down this season, but I've never once questioned their effort level any given night 

I wanna see Johnny get mad ..I want to see him go out and have a "the shift" of his own 

Dig for a puck in the corner .. block a shot (I've seen him do it when he's on fire ). Heck , hit a guy on the boards (he's done this before too)

There was a time when if you made Johnny mad, he made you pay..now I don't even think he gets mad 

Maybe we need Jagr to come in and have a pep talk with him again?

 

Lately all I see from him is he's trying to be all finesse .. pretty moves , pretty passes .. no "ok boys follow me ". Attitude 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know about everyone else but it's pretty evident to me that he does not want to be here.  He's not going to come out and say it or admit it, but his play is saying it.  Everyone that thinks trading Johnny is a bad idea needs to rethink this.  This team needs to move on and so does Johnny.  This would be in my opinion the major shakeup that needs to happen and it will send a message.  Adding a top RW right hand shot will not help or fix anything, it will just frustrate the acquired player when he sees what's going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, taz89 said:

I don't know about everyone else but it's pretty evident to me that he does not want to be here.  He's not going to come out and say it or admit it, but his play is saying it.  Everyone that thinks trading Johnny is a bad idea needs to rethink this.  This team needs to move on and so does Johnny.  This would be in my opinion the major shakeup that needs to happen and it will send a message.  Adding a top RW right hand shot will not help or fix anything, it will just frustrate the acquired player when he sees what's going on.

I've been saying for a couple years now .He will not be in Calgary if he hits UFA.. he will go home , and I wont blame him 

Johnny is a Grade A, elite, secondary piece .. we've made the mistake of making him a focal point .. he doesn't lead, he doesn't drive 

I would have traded him straight up for a signed Taylor Hall

 

i Think BT has an opportunity now to make a major kill... go all in on making sure you sign Hall this summer , use Johnny to pillage an eastern team 

with all the turmoil going on in Buffalo right now , its not impossible you could pry anybody out of Buffalo..even Eichel is not off the table.. Johnny can be a central piece in getting us an elite Center .. outside of the Big 3 (Connor, Sid, Ovie)  I dont believe anybody is untouchable with Johnny as the bait 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...