jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

Move over Irving ... too soon?

My link

Lookin Good... way too soon, of course, but whatevs, it's great news.

The Flames have an incredible amount of top goaltending prospects, and I'm really glad they've got this guy playing for Providence. Because honestly, we don't do a very good job at developing them (or we haven't, at least).

Plus, it's kinda handy that he's keeping company with Mark Jankowski. Who knows...the two of them could be be stars for the Flames one day.

#3 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

Wow. Another shutout....35 saves.
http://www.friars.co...3/pc121124.html

So....give it a few years, and this guy is doing everything he can to become our #1 goaltending prospect.

http://www.uscho.com...-men/2012-2013/

I would say, given his age, he's making a strong case right now to be the best goaltending prospect in all of US college hockey.

#4 ScottMacMahon

ScottMacMahon

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

Just thought id leave this here....

#5 Zoller

Zoller

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

Let him finish his time in the NCAA. By that time Ramo will be our starter and Gillies and Brossoit can battle for the backup role.

#6 ScottMacMahon

ScottMacMahon

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

Let him finish his time in the NCAA. By that time Ramo will be our starter and Gillies and Brossoit can battle for the backup role.

Agreed. Needs more development, but looks awesome so far. Ive heard that he is the only reason that Providence isn't bottom of the standings...

#7 Lucid_Flame91

Lucid_Flame91

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:41 PM

A second period shorthanded tally by Noel Acciari (Johnston, R.I.) was all the No. 5/6 Providence College men's hockey team would need en route to a 1-0 win at Merrimack on Friday night at Lawler Arena as Jon Gillies (South Portland, Maine) stopped all 23 shots he faced for the Friars.

With the win, the Friars improve to 6-1-1 on the year (2-1-0 HEA), while Merrimack moves to 3-4-0 (0-1-0 HEA).

After a scoreless first period, the Friars turned up the offensive pressure but still could not solve Merrimack goaltender Sam Marotta entering the later stages of the second. But after several back-to-back abbreviated power plays by both teams due to overlapping penalties, the Friars netted a shorthanded tally.

Sophomore Steven McParland (Schreiber, Ontario) created a turnover at the Merrimack point, carried the puck the length of the ice and drove to the net. His shot was saved by Marotta but the ensuing rebound was poked home by Acciari for his second goal of the season, scored at 16:09. It turned out to be Acciari's first career game-winning goal.

Gillies finished with 23 saves in the Friar net, while Sam Marotta made 18 stops in the Merrimack goal. Both teams featured successful penalty killing units as Providence went 0-for-7 with the man advantage and the Warriors finished 0-for-6 on the power play.

The win was Providence's first road win of the season, while the shutout was the seventh of Gillies' career, tying the Providence College record held by Tyler Sims (2004-08).

The Friars and Warriors play game two of their weekend series at 7:00 p.m. at Schneider Arena. The game will be broadcast locally on CoxSports on OSN.

Source: http://www.friars.co.../110813aab.html

#8 PokernHockey

PokernHockey

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

while the shutout was the seventh of Gillies' career, tying the Providence College record held by Tyler Sims (2004-08).

Pretty amazing that he tied a 4 year record in a little over one year.

#9 Lucid_Flame91

Lucid_Flame91

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:25 PM

Pretty amazing that he tied a 4 year record in a little over one year.

Season's still early, I have no doubt hes going to beat it.

#10 JTech780

JTech780

Resident Know it All

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts
  • LocationGrande Prairie, AB

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

Gillies announced via twitter that he would be going back to Providence for one more season.

I think that is the best move for him and the Flames.

#11 Zirakzigil

Zirakzigil

Hokay. So, heres da Earth.

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:10 PM

Makes sense. I think Ortio plays 1 more full season in the AHL then. Would be best for his development to play. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users