Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Trade Idea Cgy-fld

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mattman456

Mattman456

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

First off I'd like to say that this lock out is driving me insane. But screw that!

Second I think ts time to give Backlund the boot. He was promised to be a top line centre in 3 years( it's been 5) and he does not play with heart. Sure he just singed a renewal but I don't think that I'd there was a season he would perform any better than before.

Along with that I think there's two players in the NHL that need a fresh start. Stephen Weiss and our most treasured (not) Jbo.

Weiss is that captain but he isn't putting up captain points. But when he plays you can see he doenst mix in great with the other players on the team. He did lead them to playoffs but he only had 57 points. Iggy had 67 ( just comparing)

Now the people that I see playing with true heart are Iggy, Kipper, Bartschi, Brodie, Nemiz, and Glencrosss. Sorry but if Cammy and Gio were to make that list they would be playing and producing better.

Now with all this being said here's my idea:
FLD trades:
D-Keaton Ellerby
C-Stephen Weiss

CGY trades:
D-Jay Boumeester
C-Mikael Backlund

Keaton Ellerby reminds me of a young Cory Sarich who back in his prime was gritty and passionate and had a scoring touch. Weiss along side with Cammy and Iggy would be a nice leader line. For Florda they get Baclkund who gets an automatic 2nd line role to shine and have no other big guys above him like with the flames. Boumeester can also step up more becuase the captain is gone. He could easily become Flordas captain if he tried his best.

So what do you guys think? Deal or no deal?

#2 wally31

wally31

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

1. What are "captain" numbers? Thats new to me

2. Backlund is regaining is confidence after a injury riddled year. He will not be playing under Sutters system anymore, so it will be interesting to see how he does under Hartley. I feel the Flames should/will give him this year to prove himself.

3. Did you take into account Floridas situation? They have Campbell, Jovo, and Kuba locked up with big money. I doubt they would want to add 6.68 million to the back end..

4. Weiss isn't the answer. I think the Flames are past the point for "quick fix" solutions... Weiss is an attempt at a quick fix.

5. Calgary loses this trade if it were to go down.

I'm going to stop now... Easy no deal.

#3 ScottMacMahon

ScottMacMahon

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

Absolutely not. I dont think either team would benefit from a trade like this.

Bad for Calgary because:

Backlunds play in the euro leagues during the lockout has been absolutely commendable and it really looks like he is starting to build some of the confidence that he evidently lacked in recent seasons. I definitely think he deserves another shot (possibly in a winger role) before we give up hope on him and move him. He has shown potential, now he just needs to realize it and perform to the standards that i think everyone knows he can perform at.

As for Bouwmeester, i (personally) believe that without him we would have been much lower in the standings last season. He is one of our top defensemen and eats up lots of minutes, plus i believe that he will flourish alot more under Hartleys system, and with another top 4 defensemen to share some of his responsibilities (Wideman).

Bad for Florida because:

Weiss is one of their top leaders and top scorers, i dont understand why they would want to move him. anddddd i dont know enough about the Ellerby to really comment, although from his stats (5 assists and a negative +/-) i dont think we really want him...

#4 Keyro

Keyro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

If florida wants anyone from us it'd be Kipper IMO.
With kipper signed through the 2013-2014 season he would be a great mentor to Markstrom and would be able to ease him into that started position.
Florida is an attractive trading partner to me because they have such a talented prospect base. Prospects like Huberdeau, Grimaldi, bjugstad and howden could be in play.
Not likely any deal happens. Huberdeau is untouchable I think so I don't even know why I included him, but you get the picture.

To Fld:
Kipper

To Cgy:
Bjugstad
2nd in 2013 draft

Maybe could work although I don't know how high Florida is on Bjugstad

#5 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,080 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

If florida wants anyone from us it'd be Kipper IMO.
With kipper signed through the 2013-2014 season he would be a great mentor to Markstrom and would be able to ease him into that started position.
Florida is an attractive trading partner to me because they have such a talented prospect base. Prospects like Huberdeau, Grimaldi, bjugstad and howden could be in play.
Not likely any deal happens. Huberdeau is untouchable I think so I don't even know why I included him, but you get the picture.

To Fld:
Kipper

To Cgy:
Bjugstad
2nd in 2013 draft

Maybe could work although I don't know how high Florida is on Bjugstad

:rolleyes:

Seriously... :blink:

This and the proposed trade from the OP are trade suggestions I would only expect to come from a Panthers fan... :lol:

#6 Keyro

Keyro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

This and the proposed trade from the OP are trade suggestions I would only expect to come from a Panthers fan... :lol:

Okay let's be serious then. Not to derail the thread or anything but realistically what is he worth. On the NHL market of goaltenders, not just to the flames.
Now Bjugstad is a very solid prospect.
Kipper is a very good goaltender.

All players have an expiration date and sadly kippers date is getting pretty close.
Value wise that's what I think Florida would be willing to pay.The flames would be never take that because

A) No close to the value they want
B) no replacement for kipper

#7 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,080 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

The flames would be never take that because

A) No close to the value they want
B) no replacement for kipper

Exactly... You just answered your own question... :)

#8 Keyro

Keyro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

Exactly... You just answered your own question... :)

Hey man I'm just trying to stir the pot.
It's soooooooo boooooringgg here

#9 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,080 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

Hey man I'm just trying to stir the pot.
It's soooooooo boooooringgg here

I hear ya... But just as a friendly reminder... The Heat game starts in about 5 minutes... B)

#10 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

Elder Statesman

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

Or someone that wants a real quick route to the lottery. :angry:

Seriously, when proposing trades look @ how the trades weaken the Flames instead of juicing your pants over adding a player you like while removing a player that keeps us respectable.

Weiss is a good (not great) player that would help @ center while Ellerby is depth on D. I don't much care about Backlund but JBo is a solid #2D & worth more then that combo.
Kipper for 2 futures (Bjugstad might be decent once he finishes university & a 2nd is a by guess & by golly pick [especially since Florida is likely to make the playoffs in a weak SE division]) takes away a player that wins us games we had no right to. If both pan out we can add them to a few years of lottery picks & maybe be competitive again in 4-5 years.

If the aim is to build from the ditch it makes sense to dump all your talent. It worked in Pittsburgh (twice).
But if you want games where the Flames actually have a chance to win either/both largely remove that.

Posters say they'd support the team during a ground up rebuild but somehow I have my doubts.

#11 Keyro

Keyro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

Or someone that wants a real quick route to the lottery. :angry:

Seriously, when proposing trades look @ how the trades weaken the Flames instead of juicing your pants over adding a player you like while removing a player that keeps us respectable.

Weiss is a good (not great) player that would help @ center while Ellerby is depth on D. I don't much care about Backlund but JBo is a solid #2D & worth more then that combo.
Kipper for 2 futures (Bjugstad might be decent once he finishes university & a 2nd is a by guess & by golly pick [especially since Florida is likely to make the playoffs in a weak SE division]) takes away a player that wins us games we had no right to. If both pan out we can add them to a few years of lottery picks & maybe be competitive again in 4-5 years.

If the aim is to build from the ditch it makes sense to dump all your talent. It worked in Pittsburgh (twice).
But if you want games where the Flames actually have a chance to win either/both largely remove that.

Posters say they'd support the team during a ground up rebuild but somehow I have my doubts.

Yea it's real easy to shoot down proposals from that stand point. Yea because I want my team to be terrible.

Maybe you know where Kipper keeps his secret fountain of youth because you assume he'll be playing at this level for the rest of his career.
When the Flames inevitably refuse to trade him, and Kipper fades away to a Turco, or a Nabokov many posters will come out of the woodwork claiming we should have traded him when his value was high.

And please don't tell me I want a lottery team. No respectable fan wants that.
After all what's better? Short term gain/ long term pain?
Or vice versa?

I hear ya... But just as a friendly reminder... The Heat game starts in about 5 minutes... B)

What channel? Website?

#12 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,080 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

What channel? Website?

There is a Heat game on Sportsnet at 8pm MTN...

#13 mike_jones

mike_jones

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

Realistically, what is the value of Stephen Weiss? All the talk around that he will be moved before the deadline and him being 30 and a FA come July, what is he really worth?

Would Irving, Stajan, and a 3rd or equivalent be enough? Or maybe one of Horak/Byron/Nemisz instead of Stajan? Which, I almost might prefer over Stajan. or maybe another goalie prospect needs to be included in the deal instead of Irving? Brossoit?

Weiss is a solid 2nd line Center. It doesn't fill our hole at #1, but he could fill in there for the time being if need be.

Florida gains a potential #1 goalie in Irving, although it is risk, but at the least could be a decent backup, and Stajan is a value at 2.5, and a decent 3rd line Center and they would get a 3rd or equivalent prospect.

Florida is off to a poor start this season and Weiss is already out with injury. When will he be traded and what is his realistic worth.

If you say an impact player and a 1st. Give your head a shake.