116 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,042 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

Please note these screenshots come during tonights Lake Erie-Abbostsford game just moments ago. Notice the much shortened ice?

8fe089a04a7dbca3064c0b60fbf41d72.png?135
dc2e0138a79364b74bb8f96a0d436e48.png?135

laugh.gif

#2 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,042 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

Okay it was a joke of sorts. The pics were indeed during the Heat game yesterday. During the intermission. Note the kids playing?

So I will turn this thread into the Heat update thread and will try to update with boxscores for each game. I don't know if I can do all games but feel free to put in your updates and opinions too.

2nd period and still no score in tonights game.

#3 wally31

wally31

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

The livestream just went down... Brust is sure having a great start to the season!

#4 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,042 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:51 AM

Posted Image

I'm not sure what's more impressive. Brust not having allowed a goal in over 230 consecutive minutes, along with a 0.25 GAA this season or the fact that the Heat have only allowed 3 goals in 6 games in the month of November?

Or could it be they are leading their division, conference and the league?
Or could it be that they are the only team with just 1 loss so far this season?

Posted Image

#5 Bastardsonofmacinnis

Bastardsonofmacinnis

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

I don't really see how any of this is possible. It's just Troy Ward and a lot of luck. The cupboards are bare :rolleyes: For real though, I'm loving watching all the Heat highlights. There's some seriously impressive play going on there. I have to say, I'm really wishing little Johnny Gaudreau was with the heat already.

#6 wally31

wally31

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

I don't really see how any of this is possible. It's just Troy Ward and a lot of luck. The cupboards are bare :rolleyes: For real though, I'm loving watching all the Heat highlights. There's some seriously impressive play going on there. I have to say, I'm really wishing little Johnny Gaudreau was with the heat already.

I love Johnny Gaudreau too, but I think the NCAA is the right path for his development! the Eagles also just signed his brother for next season... He'll only be 21 (?) when he's finished, and will probably have put on the muscle/weight needed to last the AHL/NHL grind.

I'm also excited about our "bare" cupboards.

#7 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,042 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:41 AM

Posted Image

Marlies on Sunday Time is listed as Noon so likely 10AM our time.

#8 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,080 posts
  • LocationNot So Far North

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

Marlies on Sunday Time is listed as Noon so likely 10AM our time.

The 12pm listing is BC time...

The game starts at 3pm in Toronto, so it will be at 1pm Alberta time...

Should be a good one tomorrow, 6 minutes left in the game today and the Marlies are beating the Bulldogs 6 - 1...

#9 Pyromancer

Pyromancer

Prospects - Put The Old Guys Out To Pasture

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,920 posts
  • LocationCalgary - Canada's Riot-Free City

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

Or could it be they are leading their division, conference and the league?
Or could it be that they are the only team with just 1 loss so far this season?

One thing the Heat are not leading is the AHL in attendance. They are currently ranked 19th out of 30 teams. [AHL Attendance]

Posted Image
Exclude the 2 games against the Chicago Wolves (given the Wolves-Vancouver affiliation) as well as the 2 games against the Oklahoma City Barons (Edmonton Oiler 1st Rounders), and Abbotsford's attendance average drops to 29th (3302) just ahead of the Worcester Sharks (3109).

Without a doubt, this is currently the highest quality of hockey being played in the lower mainland.
I am truly perplexed why the fans are not flocking to see the Heat play.
1827 fans at the game on Wednesday - pathetic!
I know if the Heat were in Calgary during a lockout I would definitely be interested in watching them play.

I therefore have concluded the following (Troll Shield Up)
  • The hatred of the Calgary Flames in Vancouver & environs is as strong as the hatred I & several of my fellow hardcore Calgary fans have for the Vancouver Canucks.
  • The large attendance at the Oklahoma games demonstrates Vancouver's love for the Oilers ahead of the Flames.
  • The average Vancouver fan just isn't interested in hockey that doesn't involve whining, diving, or laser-wielding fans.
  • The fans in Vancouver have a problem with cheering for a team that hasn't won a league championship for only 3 consecutive years.
I intend no disrespect regarding Abbotsford, as that is where the true Heat fans live, and I am sure there is a core of several thousand strong.

GO Posted ImageGO

#10 Heartbreaker

Heartbreaker

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

I made it to Ricoh in time to catch the third period of the Heat game tonight against the Marlies.

It wasn't a great showing for our heroes, but it really helped with the homesick.

As I said, I was only able to catch the third, but I was particularly impressed by Paul Byron. He's fearless, and didn't back down when he was mauled by much larger defenders, and he was able to generate scoring chances. Obviously I don't know if it'll carry over to the NHL, but it was encouraging to see some tenacity. And it was great to see the guys, and frankly, to see a Navajo-fry-breadin' hockey game.

Love.

#11 PokernHockey

PokernHockey

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

One thing the Heat are not leading is the AHL in attendance. They are currently ranked 19th out of 30 teams. [AHL Attendance]

Posted Image
Exclude the 2 games against the Chicago Wolves (given the Wolves-Vancouver affiliation) as well as the 2 games against the Oklahoma City Barons (Edmonton Oiler 1st Rounders), and Abbotsford's attendance average drops to 29th (3302) just ahead of the Worcester Sharks (3109).

Without a doubt, this is currently the highest quality of hockey being played in the lower mainland.
I am truly perplexed why the fans are not flocking to see the Heat play.
1827 fans at the game on Wednesday - pathetic!
I know if the Heat were in Calgary during a lockout I would definitely be interested in watching them play.

I therefore have concluded the following (Troll Shield Up)

• The hatred of the Calgary Flames in Vancouver & environs is as strong as the hatred I & several of my fellow hardcore Calgary fans have for the Vancouver Canucks.
  • The large attendance at the Oklahoma games demonstrates Vancouver's love for the Oilers ahead of the Flames.
  • The average Vancouver fan just isn't interested in hockey that doesn't involve whining, diving, or laser-wielding fans.
  • The fans in Vancouver have a problem with cheering for a team that hasn't won a league championship for only 3 consecutive years.
I intend no disrespect regarding Abbotsford, as that is where the true Heat fans live, and I am sure there is a core of several thousand strong.

GO Posted ImageGO

The one that blows me away is that Oklahoma is currently second last in attendance. You would think the 3 #1 picks and shultz would be enough to at least start the season with really high attendance. Their attendance is down 8% compared to last year.

Also, so far, league wide attendance in the AHL is actually DOWN since last year 5%.

Only 8 teams have higher attendance then last year... (the heat are tied for third for biggest increase at 26% higher average attendance... granted, a significant part [most] of that is probably due to the disproportionate number of games against the baby nucks and baby oilers). If you took out the gains from the heat the league average attendance is down more then 20%!

You could probably justify part of that by saying that games later in the season all else equal would draw more fans since the games "matter" more. But when you consider the quality of hockey/hype around the players this year, I don't get how the AHL has LOST fans.

#12 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,042 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

From the length of the penalties list it appears the heat had a tough game.

It is only the second regulation loss this season.

Posted Image

Did anyone see the game? 5 goals allowed by Irving on 25 shots does not sound like he brought his A game. Then again he played the full 60 mins.

I missed this game as I was watching our Stamps defeat the defending Grey Cup Champs to grab their berth in the finals against Toronto. Gratz Stamps !!! Well played game!!!

Pyro and Poker:

Interesting thoughts and I have to wonder if the NHL strike hasn't a lot to do with this. Fickle Fans upset with NHL, thus spending their entertainment bucks "anywhere but hockey" type thinking. I know I was pissed at the NHL and its players, but am almost beyond caring now.

#13 mike_jones

mike_jones

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

Well, it was kind of a boring game to watch, but there were so many chances for the Heat in the 2nd. They started it off on a 40 second 5 on 3, but to no avail. I think they finished 0/5 on the PP, in which they have yet to score a goal on the road on the powerplay, yet boast, something like a 26% PP at home. Weird.

But the game winning 1-0 goal, (by Chris Breen, assisted by Sven Baertschi) happened just 8 seconds into overtime. Where was that effort the whole game??

Danny Taylor looked solid all night. Very happy with him this year, although, if Brust would have had the same game we\'d be talking Johnny Bower records. Maybe tomorrow.

I thought maybe they had come back to reality, but perhaps, Troy Ward, had a good speech before overtime?

Either way, not sure if a win puts us 1st in the AHL as of yet, but we WILL be by the end of the weekend!

#14 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,042 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

Posted Image

Only allowed 19 shots. I can't remember the last time I saw a game where a team only allowed 19 shots.

#15 JAY-DOG

JAY-DOG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:58 PM

Only allowed 19 shots. I can't remember the last time I saw a game where a team only allowed 19 shots.

Keep in mind the Heat are one of the lowest shooting teams in the league this year with one of the highest shooting percentages.

The Heat only had 19 shots on net, in a 4-2 win over the Marlies earlier this month. November 2nd, to be specific.

But tonight's win was great!

#16 mike_jones

mike_jones

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

What a finish by the Heat! So entertaining! 11 rounds in the shootout. Baertschi and Horak both had beauties to keep us alive, and eventully Bancks SEALED the deal!

That is on top of the fact that Olsen tied the game for the Heat with just 13.7 seconds remaining! This is now the 2nd time this season, in which, the Heat have come back to win in the final minute of the 3rd.

And, how about Barry Brust? Johnny Bower, was one of the all-time greatest goalies. Kudos to Brust, for putting his name in the record books over one of the all-time greats!

The Heat have now set two AHL records already this season, and with 5 shutouts already, who knows?

Awesome finish!!

The Heat are back in 1st overall in the AHL!!!!

#17 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,042 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

Posted Image

Congrats Barry Brust. His shutout run is set at 268 minutes and 17 seconds. That surpassed the previous AHL record of 249:51, established by Hockey Hall of Famer Johnny Bower with the Cleveland Barons in 1957.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,080 posts
  • LocationNot So Far North

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

Congrats Barry Brust. His shutout run is set at 268 minutes and 17 seconds. That surpassed the previous AHL record of 249:51, established by Hockey Hall of Famer Johnny Bower with the Cleveland Barons in 1957.

Great run by Brust...

Here is another article on his record... http://sports.yahoo....52186--nhl.html

#19 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,042 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

Posted Image

Edged out in overtime. 3 games in 3 nights is tough so I will give then kudos for 5 of 6 points.

#20 mike_jones

mike_jones

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

Posted Image

Edged out in overtime. 3 games in 3 nights is tough so I will give then kudos for 5 of 6 points.

It kinda sucked because we lost 5 second into overtime, but on the trip we ended up beating the odds. We also won 8 seconds into overtime on Friday, and tied the game with 13.7 seconds remaining in regulation on Saturday,

So just for the Heat to pick up a point is somewhat astounding.

The offense needs the production they were getting earlier in the season. But coming back home after 12 days on the road could do something to them, too.

In the end, it was a very respectable road trip!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users