The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirtyDeeds

Abbotsford Flames Updates

Fan 960 today reported Sven and Ben Walter were hurt. They also mentioned they were unable to find out more.

I think that would explain the call up of Howse.

Well, it sucks that Bart and Walt are indeed hurt. If a concussion is true with Bart, I sure hope it's minor and precautionary. I believe he was concussed last WJHC? He seems so strong for his size out there. The odd thing with their injuries, is the fact, that I watched the game, didn't notice them leave. The announcers, never mentioned anything, and even in post-game, the media, never knew.

Which is what led me to believe they were healthy scratches to begin with. When you look at them being scratched the 3rd of the previous game, and you look at the lack of starts by Irving, and Kolanos's being the constant veteran out of the line-up, it makes you wonder Troy Ward's coaching style.

Knowing Baertschi is concussed, I would much rather him have been a healthy scratch. No laughing matter, Mr. Ward, whether you care or not, if he is in the line-up.

Either way, let's get'er back in the 3rd boys!!! PP for 49 seconds to start the 3rd!!! Beauty of a goal by Reinhart to tie the game at 2!

Let's Go HEAT!!!!!

Heat are down 2-0 early in the 1st. OUCH ! Irving is in net and looked asleep on the second one. (Wrist shot over his right shoulder.)

Irving pulled 5 mins into the 2nd. He has allowed 3 goals on 8 shots.

4eb6e180b63df88906c2b6ffdce658ce.png?1354773174

Of note the Heat have only allowed 5 shots on net the last two periods of the last two games and still come out on the losing end.

For a team that has had the best record at home and still playing mostly a good defensive style game the Heat have been struggling with injuries and it is showing in the shortage of offense. Full marks to the Rampage goaltender Markstrom.

Good game for the Heat today, they edged the Marlies 3 - 2...

Reinhart and Street got one each, and Scorak put the winner in the net with a couple of minutes left in the 3rd...

The Heat did NOT look good TONIGHT!!!! I think it's their 4th or 5th loss in the last 7? Hard to believe they are still in 1st!

Just shows the energy Baertschi brings to the team!

Taylor looked SOLID for the 1st 30 minutes. The Heat were brutal penalized in the 2nd! 3 consecutive penalties for the 1st half of the 2nd resulted in a 1-0 score for the Stars.

Although they rebounded shortly after, the "teddy bear toss" gave way to their momemtum and they trailed 3-1 after two.

The third was pretty boring really, although, the Heat DID play with an empty net for the final 4 minutes of the 3rd aka risky move, but even 6 on 3 for 40 seconds, they couldn't finish, or 6 on 4 for pretty much the remainder of the game!!!! I suppose, at least, they didn't give up an empty netter?????

Paul Byron WHO????? This kid is about to be destined for an AHL lifer!

I EXPECT a much better showing tomorrow night live on Sportsnet!!!!!

Great finish by "The Unit"!!!! Great game as well, the Heat's only goal getter, but the finisher. I have been wondering where Kolanos has been! Nice of you to show up in a much needed win!

Breen is a BEAST!!! EASY FIGHT!...let's take on Chara now!

Brodie has been rock solid all season, can't wait to see him in the NHL again!

Horak had a # of quality chances! Shootout goal was slick!

Brust, never seizes to amaze me! For a vet, but he had an unbelievable 2 on 1 stop short-handed, late in the 2nd, that was the game changer!

Great finish by "The Unit"!!!! Great game as well, the Heat's only goal getter, but the finisher. I have been wondering where Kolanos has been! Nice of you to show up in a much needed win!

Watched both games this weekend, the Heat played much better last night than Friday...

Breen is a BEAST!!! EASY FIGHT!...let's take on Chara now!

Breen just pummeled Wathier, and at 6'4 210 lbs Wathier is no lightweight...

Brodie has been rock solid all season, can't wait to see him in the NHL again!

Horak had a # of quality chances! Shootout goal was slick!

Both of these guys have been impressing me as well...

Brust, never seizes to amaze me! For a vet, but he had an unbelievable 2 on 1 stop short-handed, late in the 2nd, that was the game changer!

Brust was solid yet again...

For those wondering who played last night here is the box score:

00359a3e5dc12834e5d56013484d035b.png?1358020927

Irving got chased after 3 goals in 10 shots. Outings like last night make me wonder why he isn't left in the AHL for more seasoning.

Taylor by comparison played twice the ice time, faced twice the shots and let in zero goals. *see my thread on meritocracy*

I'll post tonights boxscore so you can see who else is likely headed to Calgary that may not already be here.

Anyone can feel free to update us on the Heat in this thread throughout the season on how they are doing. I'll be focusing more on the Flames now that we actually have a short season to focus on.

Irving got chased after 3 goals in 10 shots. Outings like last night make me wonder why he isn't left in the AHL for more seasoning.

The more time goes by, the more he looks like he could use it...

In my opinion, all too often this year Irving has not even been coming close to proving himself capable of a backup role in the NHL, let alone being a potential stater...

If his play does not improve soon, I would have to think his getting another contract from the Flames after this season could be in jeopardy...

If his performance continues on the same track as was shown again last night, it would not hurt my feelings if the Flames attempted a trade even though I would think his value could be limited... It could even possibly get to the point where if a trade could be made for a pick it could be worth it in order to make room for another contract... I know that sounds harsh, but I am becoming more disappointed with his performance the more time goes by...

I think the count is 7 players headed for Calgary from the Heat, that would be over and above Sven who was there on Thurs/Fri.

They ran into a hot goltender is the concensus for last nights and this game.

73aaaed5336df176bb9efe67fc7f4c61.png?1358059435

In my opinion if Irving doesn't perform well in camp the Flames should see if they can trade him. Either that or let him go play in Europe if he wants ice time because he's obviously not thrilled about being #3 on the depth chart on an AHL team. It's kind of funny that the Flames brass hasn't intervened and said to let him try and play through it, but have quietly sat back and let the drama unfold. I think this camp, in the eyes of Feaster and Hartley, is a make or break for Irving and the writing is on the wall.

In my opinion if Irving doesn't perform well in camp the Flames should see if they can trade him. Either that or let him go play in Europe if he wants ice time because he's obviously not thrilled about being #3 on the depth chart on an AHL team. It's kind of funny that the Flames brass hasn't intervened and said to let him try and play through it, but have quietly sat back and let the drama unfold. I think this camp, in the eyes of Feaster and Hartley, is a make or break for Irving and the writing is on the wall.

Looks like it was make it for Irving. And it wasn't a question of talent, he was a victim of the Heat having two goalies signed to AHL only deals. He was given a little playing time probably because Coach Ward felt sorry for him.

Good for Irving though to prove himself. Here's to the heir apparent!

Abbotsford had their second annual school day game today, beat Rochester 3-2 in a physical affair. Lots of penalties including an Abuse of Officials call to Rochester's Mancari.

Rematch tomorrow @ 7 pm PST.

As discussed elsewhere, The Heat had signed former Vancouver Giant and Memorial Cup winner Tyson Sexsmith to backup last game. He has since been released. Rumor has it his conditions of the PTO were for only one game only.

http://www.abbotsfordheat.com/news/?article_id=394

According to the link above, Grant Rollheiser (Toronto Maple Leafs round 6 #158 overall 2008) has been signed by the Heat to work with Barry Brust. Spent four seasons with Boston University, winning the NCAA Campionship in 2009. This season with the Utah Grizzlies, a record of 7-8-3, 3.37 GAA, and 0.890 SV%.

Good luck to Ben Street. Will be interesting to see who fills in at Abby. I would like to see Reinhart to get more minutes. Could be a big opportunity for him...

From the Heat website:

The Calgary Flames assigned Danny Taylor to the Heat on Wednesday. Fresh off his first NHL win, Taylor joins Leland Irving and Barry Brust in the Heat crease. Irving has been sharp of late, having allowed just seven goals on 113 shots since his return to the Heat from the Flames. Irving has won once, suffered a pair of 1-0 regulation losses, and was bested in a shootout in his four games since assignment.

For those wondering what is going on with goalies.

Yesterday before the Heat game on the Fan 960 there was the coaches interview. Near the end he mentioned that Irving wasn't "with the team" in his indication they were going with Barry Brust for that game and had Taylor as backup.

So I have to wonder where Irving is and what is happening with him atm?

Brett Kulak has been signed to an ATO.

It should be good experience for him. It will be interesting to see how he does.

Yesterday before the Heat game on the Fan 960 there was the coaches interview. Near the end he mentioned that Irving wasn't "with the team" in his indication they were going with Barry Brust for that game and had Taylor as backup.

So I have to wonder where Irving is and what is happening with him atm?

He just had minor surgery and will be out 2 weeks.