The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirtyDeeds

Abbotsford Flames Updates

So the old saying holds true ... " You can't make the playoffs in October, but you can be out ".  Started the year on a tear, held down top spot in the league for a couple weeks.  Since the halfway point, they are 11-19-2, but the last 20 games are 6-12-2.  At this point are sitting in 11th in the West, having played more games than any other team. 

This past weekend the Heat took only 1 of 4 points against a team they are trying to beat in the standings (Rockford).  Had they taken all 4, they would be in 7th overall.  Only 9 games left in the year, so they're all important.

http://www.abbynews.com/sports/heat/news/202609861.html

Well, it needed a small miracle, but it didn't happen.  After the Chicago Wolves won on Wednesday, it ended any chance the Heat had of coming back into the playoff picture.

Now they just play for next years job, as we have only 9-10 guys under contract for next year.  Everyone else is fighting for work.

He got the first star tonight.  I believe he was a star last game as well.  Sounds like he is a wrecking ball.  Apparently a real beast.  Ward loves him.  The Heat fans I have read love him.  Could be an interesting bottom pairing if him and Breen make the team next season.    

He got the first star tonight.  I believe he was a star last game as well.  Sounds like he is a wrecking ball.  Apparently a real beast.  Ward loves him.  The Heat fans I have read love him.  Could be an interesting bottom pairing if him and Breen make the team next season.    

i'm hoping to see a bit of him by the end of this season but probably would take an injury on defence but i've read he is close so would be nice to see if that is true. Would be really nice to get a player with his attitude on this club.

i'm hoping to see a bit of him by the end of this season but probably would take an injury on defence but i've read he is close so would be nice to see if that is true. Would be really nice to get a player with his attitude on this club.

According to Rob Kerr on twitter we will see Cundari with the big club this year.  That will mean another injury or Baertschi returning as we only have one more regular recall (and Baertschi is on an Emergency recall).  

According to Rob Kerr on twitter we will see Cundari with the big club this year.  That will mean another injury or Baertschi returning as we only have one more regular recall (and Baertschi is on an Emergency recall).  

Thanks for clairying I thought they were down to one and I thought they may be saving that to keep Baertschi up here full time once his emergency recall is up but i guess we'll see. They have alot of players they want to try to get into the lineup but are running out of ways to get them in there.

Thanks for clairying I thought they were down to one and I thought they may be saving that to keep Baertschi up here full time once his emergency recall is up but i guess we'll see. They have alot of players they want to try to get into the lineup but are running out of ways to get them in there.

I was under the same impression you were.  But Kerr at least thinks he will spend some time up here.  I have lost track of who is covering for who.  But with Tanguay out for the season perhaps Baertschi's emergency recall will last the entire seasons?  Dunno.  

EDIT: Apparently after the Heat are done the Flames have unlimited recalls.  

While this is an old thread this news can be served fine in here:

HEAT DOWN MARLIES 6-3 FOR SEVENTH STRAIGHT WIN

http://www.abbotsfordheat.com/news/releases/?article_id=633

Seems Troy Ward has the team on a nice win streak.

So far it seems that Joey is being used to supplement Ortio; this last time Joey played the second game in b2b games.  Good.

Ortio should get most of the starts now that Berra is on the Flames, and Brossoit is with the Oilers org.

One thing to note is it seems like Ferland has the monkey off his back and is starting to score more.  Was worried he might have the same issues as last year in the AHL.  Guy has potential, and with the big body and nasty streak, could be a callup this year.  He may not be as tough as Gratts, but he could possibly carry his own against all but the heavyweights. 

Any callers on who's going to face Bryzgalov and OKC, Ortio or Mac?

I would say they are going to roll with Ortio.  If he's on this win streak as of late, there's no reason to interrupt the momentum.

I would say they are going to roll with Ortio.  If he's on this win streak as of late, there's no reason to interrupt the momentum.

Well to be fair he has been spliting the duties so far, but he usually gets the first of back to back games, so I wouldnt be suprised if he got the night off on saturday.

Well its Friday night and its the battle of alberta AHL style, Ortio vs Bryz

Markus Granlund makes it 1-0!

Breen with an assist so far, in his first game after being sent back down.

Bryzgalov with the 0.792 save percentage. Help is on the way, Edmonton! I kid, it's his first game in awhile. I'm actually hoping he does well.

Bryzgalov with the 0.792 save percentage. Help is on the way, Edmonton! I kid, it's his first game in awhile. I'm actually hoping he does well.

I am not. I love that he let in 5 and that it was against the Heat. Funny stuff.

It's a shame he didn't get the start against the Flames tonight. That would be epic. Losing two B2B games against a NHL team and its farm team.

Well the heat win again last night, this time with Mac in net.

Billins, Ferland and Granlund have really burst out, Billins has an assist on almost all the tallies hes been everywhere.

The line combo of  X/Granlund/Ferland have been dominating, i'm not sure who is on the left sadly.

THREE STARS OF THE WEEK

1. Chad Billins - Another week, another batch of points for Chad Billins. The undrafted offensive defenceman continues to put numbers on the board for the Heat. This week, Billins collected seven assists in four games - six of which were primary helpers. The Michigan native sits at 19 points in 19 games and is now tied for the league lead in points by a blueliner.

2. Markus Granlund - Much like his team, Granlund is oozing with confidence and consistency right now. The Finnish rookie picked up two goals and three assists this week, including his first multi-point night of the season on Friday against the Iowa Wild. Granlund's flashy offensive abilities have gotten him eight goals and five assists for 13 points in his last 14 games. It has certainly been a month of November to remember for the Flames' second round pick in 2011.

3. Heat Goaltending - While the Heat's offence is amongst the most potent in the American league, their goaltending this week wasn't too shabby either. In four games this week, Joni Ortio and Joey MacDonald, splitting starts with two apiece, posted a spectacular 1.46 goals against average and a 0.959 save percentage. Ortio is boasting a flawless 9-0 record to start his season while MacDonald is 4-1 since being sent down from Calgary

I knew Ortio was playing lights out lately, but I really didn't know he was undefeated.  Also picked up his first shutout of the year the other day vs. Iowa Wild (4-0)

For the last few seasons players like Walter and Kolanos carried the team. It is nice to see legitimate prospects like Knight, Granlund, and Ortio having an impact.

Ferland has also turned things up in November.