The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirtyDeeds

Abbotsford Flames Updates

For the last few seasons players like Walter and Kolanos carried the team. It is nice to see legitimate prospects like Knight, Granlund, and Ortio having an impact.

Ferland has also turned things up in November.

Street has shown what he could do here, and continues to help the Heat.

Billins is bit of a surprise, as I didn't expect him to be leading the D in scoring.

I have my belief that Granlund may actually be as talented as his brother.

Ortio is looking like the type of prospect I expected him to be; still maybe a season out.

Ferland is maturing (finally); he may develop into that power winger we expected him to be or at least replace Gratts as a tough guy with some skills.

Ortio in net for yet another Heat win 4-2, he improves to 10-1.

After a slow start for Granlund he came up with a 3 point night, a EN goal and 2 assists. He's closing up on a PPG.

Along with him Ferland is starting to become a force, this year we're going to get to see some play-offs, and i'm looking forward to seeing Ortio in net for it all, with Jmac in some nights possibly.

Haha Joey Mac. From being the NHL club's 1st goalie to being the backup in the AHL. Funny.

Well Ortio just played his first back to back since Jmac got demoted, He's now 11-1

Granlund and Ferland both showed on the scoresheet yet again, Granlunds riding a 9 game point streak.

The Abbotsford Heat picked up wins in both of their games against the San Antonio Rampage this past week and remain the top team in the AHL with 40 points on the year. The Heat have gone 19-6-2 this season and have four-point lead over second place Manchester Monarchs, who lead the Eastern Conference.

While every Heat player has been contributing to their success, CalgaryFlames.com has highlighted three individuals who had a spectacular week (Dec. 1 - Dec. 7)

FIRST STAR: JONI ORTIO

QUICK NUMBERS: 56 saves, 120:00 played, 4 goals allowed.

The Finnish netminder played in both games against the Rampage and was crucial for his team's success in both outings. On Friday, he made 29 saves on 31 shots, shutting down the Rampage as they pressed to even things up late in the game. He was equally impressive on Saturday, making 27 stops on 29 shots and was named the first star of the game.

Ortio, who was drafted in the sixth round of the 2009 NHL Draft, is now 11-1-0 on the season. With his 328 saves on 355 shots, he has a 2.28 GAA and a .924 save percentage.

SECOND STAR: MARKUS GRANLUND

QUICK NUMBERS: 4 points, 2 goals, 2 assists, 4 PIM, 4 shots on net.

Ortio's fellow Finn also had a great week, extending his point streak to nine games with two solid offensive outings against the Rampage. On Friday, Granlund scored one goal and three points in the 4-2 win against San Antonio and on Saturday, he notched the Heat's fourth goal of the evening.

Granlund was sidelined with an injury early in the season but since joining the lineup in mid-October, he has steadily progressed and adjusted to the North American game. He is now third in scoring amongst current Heat skaters with 20 points (10 goals, 10 assists) in 22 games.

THIRD STAR: BEN STREET

QUICK NUMBERS: 2 goals, 1 assist, 6 shots on net.

Street was named the AHL's Player of the Month in November and he has carried that momentum right on in to December. The pivot scored in both games and registered an assist in Friday's victory. He was was also named the first star in Friday's game.

The London, ON product leads the Heat in scoring with 14 goals and 24 points in 20 games. He also leads the team in power play markers (6) and shots on net (57).

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=702004&navid=DL|CGY|home

b90ad0e8c1f40133bc3f4785336e382b.png

Cundari is on loan, however the Flames still retain his rights.  Interesting. 

Locke seems like a good skilled kid who could make a difference offensively for the Heat, especially with the playoffs around the corner.  They've been struggling offensively as of late.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=702004&navid=DL|CGY|home

b90ad0e8c1f40133bc3f4785336e382b.png

Cundari is on loan, however the Flames still retain his rights.  Interesting. 

Locke seems like a good skilled kid who could make a difference offensively for the Heat, especially with the playoffs around the corner.  They've been struggling offensively as of late.

It sounds like a low-risk move.  Once trade deadline is over, they may need players on the Heat due to the Flames calling up a bunch of players.  Street can't go back unless he put on waivers.  After TDL that may not be an issue.  Not sure how that works with waivers, though.

It sounds like a low-risk move.  Once trade deadline is over, they may need players on the Heat due to the Flames calling up a bunch of players.  Street can't go back unless he put on waivers.  After TDL that may not be an issue.  Not sure how that works with waivers, though.

It does make sense.  But it doesn't look like the Flames are very high on Cundari.  You don't normally loan a prospect out of your development system if you are.  Too bad since he looked like he had potential.  But he hasn't had a very good season.  

It does make sense.  But it doesn't look like the Flames are very high on Cundari.  You don't normally loan a prospect out of your development system if you are.  Too bad since he looked like he had potential.  But he hasn't had a very good season.  

I was commenting on the trade for Locke.  The Cundari issue is a bit different.  Like you, I have some concerns on loaning him.  It may have come down to a numbers game, where the Heat have too many players on D to adequately give Cundari the opportunity.

Besides the lengthy list of active D on the Heat, you have a guy like Kulak who probably could add some scoring at the AHL level, and they ned to evaluate him.  Seilof will be coming off injury before the season ends, so he would need to get decent minutes as well.  And Smith is down on the farm as well.

Rather than send Cundari to Alaska, they get him decent minutes elsewhere.  On the other hand, the JBow return is most likely what got Feaster fire, so Burke may be parting ways with those related to the trade (except Poirier, of course).  I liked the game Cundari played, but Seilof is slightly bigger and tougher, and Billens scores more.  Kanzig is a Burke type player, so he may be on the Heat by next season as well.

I was commenting on the trade for Locke.  The Cundari issue is a bit different.  Like you, I have some concerns on loaning him.  It may have come down to a numbers game, where the Heat have too many players on D to adequately give Cundari the opportunity.

Besides the lengthy list of active D on the Heat, you have a guy like Kulak who probably could add some scoring at the AHL level, and they ned to evaluate him.  Seilof will be coming off injury before the season ends, so he would need to get decent minutes as well.  And Smith is down on the farm as well.

Rather than send Cundari to Alaska, they get him decent minutes elsewhere.  On the other hand, the JBow return is most likely what got Feaster fire, so Burke may be parting ways with those related to the trade (except Poirier, of course).  I liked the game Cundari played, but Seilof is slightly bigger and tougher, and Billens scores more.  Kanzig is a Burke type player, so he may be on the Heat by next season as well.

It likely is a numbers game.  It is also a situation where you have to give something to get something and as you say, getting Locke is a big boost for the Heat.  But I can't think of any example where a team loaned away their prospect and that prospect ended up playing in the NHL for that team.   

It isn't a huge loss.  There is only so much room for small puck moving D-man (even if Cundari doesn't play all that small).  And Cundari could end up back with the Heat next season.  But my money is on the Flames not re-upping his contract this summer.  

It likely is a numbers game.  It is also a situation where you have to give something to get something and as you say, getting Locke is a big boost for the Heat.  But I can't think of any example where a team loaned away their prospect and that prospect ended up playing in the NHL for that team.   

It isn't a huge loss.  There is only so much room for small puck moving D-man (even if Cundari doesn't play all that small).  And Cundari could end up back with the Heat next season.  But my money is on the Flames not re-upping his contract this summer.  

He is 195 lbs, but still a 5'9" D...

and a prime example of Feaster not getting a good enough return in a trade (JBo)...

and also an example of the reasons Feaster is no longer part of the organization...

Sven with another beautiful assist.  All around excellent game for most of the team. Hanowski had his first fight with the Heat and didn't do too bad.

I'll be pretty choked if Granlund doesn't make the team next season. That kid's just awesome to watch. Thanks for posting the video s4xon. Man, we've come a long way since Kyle Greentree and the quad city Flames.

I'll be pretty choked if Granlund doesn't make the team next season. That kid's just awesome to watch. Thanks for posting the video s4xon. Man, we've come a long way since Kyle Greentree and the quad city Flames.

Granlund has been having a HUGE season, Depending on trades ect I could see him here next season.

I hope Ortio isnt rushed to the NHL, maybe 1 more season in the AHL for him. Depends on how the playoffs go.

Both Knight and Granlund had a great game from those highlights. I hope the Flames allow these kids to develop properly and not rush them. Sven had an awesome pass as well. 

The Heat won against the Charlotte Checkers 7-1 in Oliver Roy's first game up, He seemed solid, but than again the Heat were in total domination all game.

7 Goals, 7 Different goal scorer's.

They play again tomorrow night, let's hope they can keep it up.

ABBOTSFORD, BC -- The Abbotsford Heat scored early and often on Tuesday night, skating away with a 7-1 victory against the Charolette Checkers.

With the win, the Heat are now in first place in the West Division and sit second place overall in the Western Conference with a 29-14-3-1 record and 62 points.

Josh Jooris kicked off the scoring at 4:29, assisted on by Corey Locke and Sven BaertschiMax Reinhart followed that up with a power play marker at 8:54, which Corban Knight and Markus Granlund picked up assists on. Blair Jones and Carter Bancks also found the back of the net before the first frame came to a close.

The Heat kept pouring it on in the second but were unable to solve Mike Murphy, who replaced John Muse in the first period, so it remained 4-0 after two periods of play.

Granlund potted the Heat's fifth goal of the night at 8:17 of the third period, assisted on by Knight and Reinhart. The rookie now has 20 goals on the year. Knight and Ben Street added another two goals before the game to end.

Philippe Cornet ended Olivier Roy's shutout bid with the Checkers lone goal, which came at the 12:43 of the third stanza.

Roy, in his first appearance in Heat silks, made 25 saves in the victory.

THREE STARS OF THE GAME
1) Olivier Roy
2) Max Reinhart
3) Markus Granlund

Funny how Knight never seems to get much recognition. He is a rookie as well has 12 goals and 21 helpers and the highest +/- of any active forward. Reinhart got the call up it would be nice to see Grandlund and Knight get a shot as well. Unfortunate that Ferland got hurt he should be a great 3rd liner with some grit....Hanowski seems to be playing well as well.

ABBOTSFORD, BC -- The Abbotsford Heat scored early and often on Tuesday night, skating away with a 7-1 victory against the Charolette Checkers.

With the win, the Heat are now in first place in the West Division and sit second place overall in the Western Conference with a 29-14-3-1 record and 62 points.

Josh Jooris kicked off the scoring at 4:29, assisted on by Corey Locke and Sven BaertschiMax Reinhart followed that up with a power play marker at 8:54, which Corban Knight and Markus Granlund picked up assists on. Blair Jones and Carter Bancks also found the back of the net before the first frame came to a close.

The Heat kept pouring it on in the second but were unable to solve Mike Murphy, who replaced John Muse in the first period, so it remained 4-0 after two periods of play.

Granlund potted the Heat's fifth goal of the night at 8:17 of the third period, assisted on by Knight and Reinhart. The rookie now has 20 goals on the year. Knight and Ben Street added another two goals before the game to end.

Philippe Cornet ended Olivier Roy's shutout bid with the Checkers lone goal, which came at the 12:43 of the third stanza.

Roy, in his first appearance in Heat silks, made 25 saves in the victory.

THREE STARS OF THE GAME
1) Olivier Roy
2) Max Reinhart
3) Markus Granlund

The Heat are playing the Charlotte Checkers again tonight. Olivier Roy back in net, Heat won 4-3

This game was more dominated by the Checkers in the 2nd and 3rd periods they poured on more shots but roy kept them through it.

Abbotsford, BC – The Abbotsford Heat had a solid two-game series earlier this week, sweeping the Charlotte Checkers at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre (AESC). The Heat are enjoying a four game win streak and have earned at least a point in seven straight games. Markus Granlund continued his productive play, pushing his goal scoring streak to five games (5-4-9). During the series sweep of Charlotte, 15 of 18 Heat skaters registered at least one point.

The Heat appear to have regained their momentum from the first half of the season, with the offence operating at a torrid pace. In the last four games, the team has tallied a total of 21 goals and have only allowed five against. They have also stepped up their penalty kill play, netting three shorthanded goals and killing off all 29 opposition man advantages in their last six outings.

The Heat have regained first place in both the Western Division and the Western Conference with a 30-14-3-1 record and 64 points.