The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirtyDeeds

Abbotsford Flames Updates

Anyone know where the Flames affiliate is going to play next year? Are they going to be in Abbotsford again? I hope so as next year's Heat team can be even better than this year's. 

I remember them talking about moving this year, so I am just wondering if they're still looking at a relocation?

I see the Canucks just signed a 6 year deal with Utica? I dunno… I may have to buy a season's pack for next year. :)

The Heat have a contract in place until 2019.  I know there were rumours last year about the Canucks' farm team coming in and pushing the Heat out, but I believe those rumours were squashed fairly quickly.

Here's a thread (in the Abbotsford Heat section of the forums) that discusses this very topic: http://fans.flames.nhl.com/community/topic/18668-heat-moving/

Anybody have any insight into the two recent Heat signings?  Valcourt and Tolkinen?

Both seem to have decent numbers and both are big RH players.

Valcourt is listed on the Heat as 2016 pounds.  WOW.  :lol:

What a game to watch...

The Heat won 6-3 and were outshot 19-48, Ortio stood on his head, Bear with 5 points 2 goals 3 assists, Corban Knight with a Hat Trick...

I've seen Valcourt play with PA and Saskatoon a few games, he's fairly gritty scores a lot of close range goals, drops the mitts once in a while, decent hands.  Good all-round player, but might not have the top end speed or skillz to do damage at the NHL level.  Good addition to Heat IMO.  He had been playing with Draisaitl a fair bit and on the powerplay with PA this year.  I believe he's LW / left shot - not right.  Will be interesting to see how he does with the Heat.

Not to ask a dumb question but when abbotford signs a player like that is that players property of the flames or no i dont know that is why im asking like i know there calgarys farm team im just not sure if players signed are also calgary property is all

Theres a few different tiers of relationships with the Parent club, in this case the Flames.  A guy like Valcourt has essentially no affiliation with the Flames (he wasn't drafted and can't be called up because he has no NHL contract).  The Flames scouting staff may have been integral in influencing to bring him to the team however - perhaps in order to get a good look at him..  Other NHL teams I believe can sign him.  A guy like Coda Gordon was recently signed by the Heat.  He was drafted by the Flames in 2012.  This is a little different since the Flames own his rights, but still can't be brought up since he doesn't have a big league contract - he may even re-enter the draft if he isn't signed by this summer some time.  There are 2-way-contract players, I think players like Breen and Derrick Smith have where they can be called up to the Flames or back down with the Heat and their salary is pro-rated based on the league they are playing in.  Essentially, AHL teams can sign players and they have no affiliation with the parent club other than they play with their contract players that are in the minors.

Theres a few different tiers of relationships with the Parent club, in this case the Flames.  A guy like Valcourt has essentially no affiliation with the Flames (he wasn't drafted and can't be called up because he has no NHL contract).  The Flames scouting staff may have been integral in influencing to bring him to the team however - perhaps in order to get a good look at him..  Other NHL teams I believe can sign him.  A guy like Coda Gordon was recently signed by the Heat.  He was drafted by the Flames in 2012.  This is a little different since the Flames own his rights, but still can't be brought up since he doesn't have a big league contract - he may even re-enter the draft if he isn't signed by this summer some time.  There are 2-way-contract players, I think players like Breen and Derrick Smith have where they can be called up to the Flames or back down with the Heat and their salary is pro-rated based on the league they are playing in.  Essentially, AHL teams can sign players and they have no affiliation with the parent club other than they play with their contract players that are in the minors.

Cundari was traded from the Heat to another team's affiliate but the Flames can call him up.

So Emile Poirier, Keagan Kanzig and Eric Roy are all on their way to join the Heat. Should be a good a learning experience for all of them even if they don't get much playing time.

The Heat are down 0 games to 2 in the best of 5 series to the Grand Rapids Griffins. The remaining games are in Grand Rapids so Abbotsford has an uphill climb, hopefully they can make a big comeback.

Dang you Mrazec, my biggest concern going in, and there you are. The Wings' goalie of the future...Heat shoulda had game 1.

This thing is over.

3 games to win and score a lot on Mrazec at home...yeah right.

3 games with a GAA of 0.33 and 2 SO's Joni?

That would rock.

Heat battled hard tonight but couldn't get the win.  Sad to see their season come to an end but they were in tough against the Griffins.  So anyone want to guess what's in store for the Heat now?  Specifically, where they will be playing next year.

Posted · Hidden by Pyromancer, November 21, 2014 - You know why.....
Hidden by Pyromancer, November 21, 2014 - You know why.....

How has Sieloff played this year?