SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Photo

Random 12/13 Season Survey

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Random 12/13 Season Survey (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of the following players will score the most points?

1. Backlund (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. Baertschi (7 votes [43.75%])

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

3. Cervenka (5 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

4. Comeau (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Stajan (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Stempniak (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Which of the following D will play the most minutes?

1. Babchuk (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

2. Brodie (13 votes [81.25%])

Percentage of vote: 81.25%

3. McCarthy (1 votes [6.25%])

4. Sarich (1 votes [6.25%])

5. Smith (0 votes [0.00%])

Who is most likely to be the back-up goalie?

1. Brust (1 votes [6.25%])

2. Irving (8 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Karlsson (5 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

4. Taylor (1 votes [6.25%])

5. Someone else (1 votes [6.25%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

With the lock out stomping on thought I would do a survey of random topics.

#2 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,197 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

Should we be taking the survey assuming a shortened season starting Jan 1?? Or the season started now? or when?

#3 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Should we be taking the survey assuming a shortened season starting Jan 1?? Or the season started now? or when?

Not sure it matters, but let's be realistically optimistic and say Jan 1

#4 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,197 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

In that case, i'm voting Backlund, Brodie, and Karlsson.

Backlund - playing against "men" and putting up the numbers. There's guys in the AHL doing very well right now and lighting it up but the NHL's competition is just so tough, i don't think those kids in the minors are going to translate that scoring success to the NHL level without a bump.

I also believe Cervenka is a the next "Fabian Bruunstrom." I really don't believe he will succeed in the NHL until i see it.

In terms of Baertschi, he just won't get significant ice time on the LW to shine.

I think Brodie ended last season as a guy who we can play spot duty in a top 4 role and he's continuing to show that at the AHL level. I think he's a sure thing in the 4/5 position with PP time while all the other players will have to fight it out for the remaining spots.

Karlsson will be backup. It's his spot to lose and as far as we can see so far, he hasn't lost it yet.

#5 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

Elder Statesman

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

I went Baertschi, Brodie & Irving.

Sven because of hope.
Brodie & Irving because they were (IMO) the best options from an underwhelming choice of options.

#6 Crzydrvr

Crzydrvr

Resident Draft Junkie

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

Gotta agree with Peeps on Cervenka. You have to wonder how good he will be, because at 27 going on 28 you're not that young anymore. He might already have hit his peak. And at 27 you may be less mold-able into a workable piece than a guy like Bear for example, who's like a coach's dream putty.

I liked the move because it was a low risk medium reward type play, and we need more of those, but I don't see Cervenka as the answer either short or long term.

#7 mactt

mactt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:58 AM

Gotta agree with Peeps on Cervenka. You have to wonder how good he will be, because at 27 going on 28 you're not that young anymore. He might already have hit his peak.

Roman Cervenka is 26. He turns 27 in December. I would call that, entering his "prime".

Hard to say what you will get with him, but until then, it was a heck of an acquisition!

Hope for the best!

As for the poll, pretty obvious in Brodie and Irving, but I chose Cervenka over Baertschi. Looking for 40+ points from Cervenka. Expecting 30+ from Baertschi.

Time will tell. Heck by the time an NHL season ever begins, they both will probably be retired!

*** Edit: Didn't notice Backlund. I am hoping for a breakout year, whenever a season begins. He should edge both. ***

#8 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

I am surprised there isn't more love for Stempniak. He has had a career PPG of over 0.5. Backlund hasn't been close to that and only a small handful of rookies put up that pace every year. Not the flashy pick, but probably the most likely scoring leader of the group. Comeau is another guy. He put up 46-points a season ago and had a similar pace the one before that. He is also only 26.

On the second group I agree Brodie is the likely pick given how many minutes he is playing in the A. That said, don't count out some of the other guys. Sarich is reportedly healthy and is the only big physical D on the team. Hannan was playing over 20-minutes per game last season and is gone now. Smith is another candidate to replace a big chunk of those minutes. Also, if he is given a contract Hartley really like McCarthy.

I am surprised to see such an even split between Karlsson and Irving given the tone around Karlsson. But I don't think it is wrong. Personally I think that it will be Irving but I think there will be a closer race then some think between Taylor, Irving, and Karlsson. I also think there is an outside chance you see them bring on an experienced NHL backup or take a chance on Brust.

#9 Kulstad

Kulstad

Resident Cat Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

Gotta agree with Peeps on Cervenka. You have to wonder how good he will be, because at 27 going on 28 you're not that young anymore. He might already have hit his peak. And at 27 you may be less mold-able into a workable piece than a guy like Bear for example, who's like a coach's dream putty.

I liked the move because it was a low risk medium reward type play, and we need more of those, but I don't see Cervenka as the answer either short or long term.

...am I the only one who giggle immaturely at "dream putty"?

#10 Zirakzigil

Zirakzigil

Hokay. So, heres da Earth.

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

I went Baertschi, Brodie & Irving.

Same. Anything on or around 40 games and I think Sven will outproduce all other options. My hope is that he plays with Backlund and they both light it up but that is probably unrealistic.

#11 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,231 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

Same. Anything on or around 40 games and I think Sven will outproduce all other options. My hope is that he plays with Backlund and they both light it up but that is probably unrealistic.

I started a discussion on another forum asking of Backlund and Baertschi may play with Iginla. Hartley put Sakic with Tanguay (rookie) and Hejduk (couple years) in Colorado. He was on the fan about a month ago talking about how well that worked for both the team and the rookies.

That said Sakic was a better candidate (C, defense, attitude) for rookies then Iggy. They also didn't have obvious line mates like Tanguay and Cammalleri for Sakic. Finally, they were overloaded at C with Forsberg and Drury so they had to put the young guys with someone.

So it probably won't happen. But if they considered it it would be good for the young guys. It may also force Iggy to step it up defensively. Plus it would make it tough for the other team to focus on Iginla without exposing the white meat to players like Tanguay, Cammalleri, and Glencross.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a top 3 along the lines of:

Cammalleri-Cervenka-Hudler
Baertschi-Backlund-Iginla
Tanguay-Stajan-Glencross

No real first line. But we won't have one of those anyway.

Probably more likely we see something like the following though:

Tanguay-Cammalleri-Iginla
Glencross-Cervenka-Hudler
Baertschi-Backlund-Stempniak

Either way I think there is a reasonable chance that Backlund/Baertschi play together.

#12 Zirakzigil

Zirakzigil

Hokay. So, heres da Earth.

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

Cammalleri-Cervenka-Hudler really? Talk about the smallest and softest first line in the league. That makes the Oilers kid line look tough. Tanguay is not going to be playing 3rd line minutes and Iginla is not going to be playing second line minutes. Iginla is still the dominating force behind the Flames offense and as such will be taking the toughest forward and defensive lines from the opposing teams. Throwing Sven and Backlund out there is not going to help their offensive development against lines like that.