Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Will You Return As A Fan?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

Poll: WILL YOU RETURN AS A FAN? (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you return as a Flames Fan if the season is locked out completely?

1. Yes (31 votes [86.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 86.11%

2. No (4 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. Maybe (1 votes [2.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.78%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 madmanmurf

madmanmurf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

I have been a Fan since game 1 in the corral center. Watched every home game in person for a decade. Since moving away from Calgary I haven't missed one televised game. The NHL posted an apology to the Fans, but yet I can't find an apology from this team’s ownership. It is sad to say in the least, when a team so rich in its fan base can't even say sorry. It is for that’s reason and more that I ask this poll, I for one will not return as a fan to the NHL if the season is totally cancelled.

#2 Invin

Invin

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

I don't see myself buying merchandise or going to games anymore, but I'd by lying if I said I wasn't going to watch on TV and follow the standings.

#3 Keyro

Keyro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

http://flames.nhl.co...s.htm?id=641673

I know this isn't really much, but its the league wide message designated for the fans.

This probably won't make you feel better, but I got a letter from the flames management because I am an employee of the dome.
The letter says that they are deeply sorry for the inconvenient circumstances and they will try to rectify the situation by allowing employees to work other events.

So far I've worked Carrie Underwood and Justin Bieber <_<

#4 wally31

wally31

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

So far I've worked Carrie Underwood and Justin Bieber <_<

living the dream!

I'm upset about the lockout but I will return. I love this team/city to much.

#5 Wreckening

Wreckening

GO TEAM REBUILD

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Well, as much as I hate what's happening at the moment I've been a fan of the game all my life and will continue to be until my last breath. That said it will be a very, very long time before I consider buying any merchandise or paying for things like NHL Centre Ice. I'm disgusted with both sides in this mess and feel not enough is being done to end the lockout. As it stands I am still getting my hockey fix by watching the televised CHL and AHL games on Sportsnet.

Interesting to note as I am watching the Milwaukee/Chicago game this evening Sportsnet put up a caption that showed how much money the players have forfeited to this point. Some 412 million dollars. I had a good chuckle over that one.

#6 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

Elder Statesman

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,078 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

I don't lie to myself & I won't lie to you guys.

The day the puck is dropped I'll probably resurrect the bandwagon thread unless DD beats me to it.

Hockey is in my blood (& has cost me some).

Just like every board change we'll lose some posters. Some of us will be here through the mess. Others will return after it's cleared up sputtering about their dislikes whichever way it goes.

It depends on how bad you have the jones. Some of us are watching/playing other levels but await the settlement. Those that are less dedicated/addicted might have turned to other entertainment.

1 winning streak for the Flames & most of those that said they'd never watch the NHL again will be back claiming they never left the bandwagon. :)

#7 swtrooper

swtrooper

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

Im pissed about the lockout and I wish both sides to suffer as much as the fans have so far but when it returns, I will be watching. For now Im just trying to see as many OHL and AHL games as possible.

#8 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

Elder Statesman

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,078 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

I'm pissed about the lockout and I wish both sides to suffer as much as the fans have so far but when it returns, I will be watching. For now I'm just trying to see as many OHL and AHL games as possible.

Scouting?

#9 Crzydrvr

Crzydrvr

Resident Draft Junkie

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

At the end of the day, I only became a hockey fan because of the NHL. So even though Bettman/Fehr/the owners/the players are being major arseholes right now, I have to be thankful. Because I became a fan, I'm able to have the dedication and love for the game that I'm working towards a career in hockey administration.

If I never got hooked on hockey, I probably wouldn't even be alive right now. Back when I fell into depression as a pre-teen who just became the man of the house and got to watch his father's cremation and have to pretend like everything was fine even through it all, one of the only things that kept me going was hockey. I think it forced me to grow up a bit; life tends to humble you. So I keep it in perspective; there's a lot worse that could be happening and that is happening right now. My life isn't dictated on the NHL yet.

Sure this is terrible. But I think it says a lot more about our society than we'd like to think. We act like they're the only selfish ones here but being put in their situation, we'd probably do the same things, and in the same percentages. There'd still be moderates, there'd still be radicals, there'd still be hardballing. It's just what capitalism is; you try to get as much money as you can in as short a time frame as possible so that you can be rich for as long as you want.

#10 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,080 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

The day the puck is dropped I'll probably resurrect the bandwagon thread unless DD beats me to it.

I have to admit, I have gone in my private suite on the bandwagon a few times to have a few beers and watch some replay games from last year...

I can identify with that... :lol:

Just like every board change we'll lose some posters. Some of us will be here through the mess. Others will return after it's cleared up sputtering about their dislikes whichever way it goes.

It depends on how bad you have the jones. Some of us are watching/playing other levels but await the settlement. Those that are less dedicated/addicted might have turned to other entertainment.

A hockey jones is a lot harder to deal with than a basketball jones...

1 winning streak for the Flames & most of those that said they'd never watch the NHL again will be back claiming they never left the bandwagon. :)

I would bet on that... Unfortunately that is what both the league and the players are betting on for most of the teams... The Flames will make it through this mess, but I think there are a few teams that might not...

To answer the OP, I will return as a fan, but I will be a little more jaded due to how the lockout has been handled so far... The owners and Bettman are definitely not without guilt, but I place more of the blame on on Fehr and the NHLPA for initially procrastinating and then continuing to drag this out... If they could demonstrate proof as to how they have suffered after they "lost" with the last CBA, that would be different... But they didn't lose, because their overall salary's have only escalated, and ticket prices and other associated costs have gone up to pay for that...

#11 swtrooper

swtrooper

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

Scouting?

:lol: Oh boy dont I wish!

#12 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Neither side is showing any respect for the game. This isn't a strike for more money, this is a lockout by a league that was already making money and growing. As a fan it is a slap in the face that they feel they have to do this again so soon. After all we were told the cap and settlement was going to fix the problems last time. The NHL may claim to have the premier players playing here, but they can't seem to run this league like a premier league.

I am pissed enough that I am leaning toward the thought that maybe the NHL has peaked and it is time to bring hockey out of the dark ages.

20ish teams All world league. 5 teams in Canada, 5 States, 5 in Europe and 5 in former Russia.

Europe and Russia mostly play each other with 1 or two swings to North America. Same with N. America teams with 1 or 2 swings across the ocean.

What should scare the NHL is the fact that the more I think about the idea the more I like it. Maybe there are some visionaries of Hockey willing to see if there is more visionaries around.

#13 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

Well said, well said.

I'll definitely return as a fan, just not the kind of fan that pays money.

I knew I'd never really pay into the NHL after bad experiences (contract-wise) in the early 90's, followed by the last lockout, where the Flames were otherwise serious contenders for the cup.

I'll watch them on TV, or in the bar. I'll follow them, and I'll buy a few sets of nose-bleeders every year.

But that's it.

Quite honestly, if more people did this, we wouldn't have a lockout. For sure, if you're paying for season tickets this year just to hold your spot, you've prolonged the lockout.

The NHL is actually going to Make money this year because of season ticket sales and no contracts to pay.

:(

#14 PokernHockey

PokernHockey

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

The NHL is actually going to Make money this year because of season ticket sales and no contracts to pay.

Assuming there is no season the season ticket holders will be refunded. The flames at least have not announced exactly how / what they are going to be doing, and probably wont until the lockout is over or the season cancelled.

The teams are also paying interest. With the range I have heard being between 1% (toronto) and 6% (florida). Without looking through the papers I received I believe the flames are paying 3%... someone may correct me.

for a risk free investment, most teams, short of the toronto's of the world are definitely paying a premium. most teams will lose far less money, but i don't think you can argue they are making money with very few exceptions.

To answer the original posters question I will likely return like the lockout never happened, and my spending will likely actually increase. But that is mainly a product of me graduating university, moving back to Calgary so it is more convenient to go to more games, and making more money.

Having said that, I do not think I, or anyone else who answers this poll, represents the "average fan". This is a NHL message board. I think the chances of someone frequenting a NHL hockey message board 2 months into a lockout, and yet "tuning out hockey" after it is over is next to nothing, and more likely a case of someone lying to themselves then it actually happening.

For that same reason I doubt that long term anyone on here, who is still on here will never spend money on hockey again as many people have claimed, unless they spent very little (relatively speaking) before. Most are probably to passionate about the sport if they are still on here. One big win streak and their passion will be re-ignited.

As someone who is on the wait list for season tickets though, I hope many stay true to their word and cancel their season tickets. I need 500 people in the section I am waiting for, I think I am probably good at this point. Plus if the dome is not full, ticket prices will drop (it has little to do with player salaries, it is supply and demand of a product with fixed, exploding inventory.)

The NHL posted an apology to the Fans, but yet I can't find an apology from this team’s ownership. It is sad to say in the least, when a team so rich in its fan base can't even say sorry.

The Flames ownership posted and signed the apology on their website. They have also sent a letter apologizing to ticket holders (and wait list members).

#15 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

Neither side is showing any respect for the game. This isn't a strike for more money, this is a lockout by a league that was already making money and growing. As a fan it is a slap in the face that they feel they have to do this again so soon. After all we were told the cap and settlement was going to fix the problems last time. The NHL may claim to have the premier players playing here, but they can't seem to run this league like a premier league.

I agree. I may return but I won't be the same hardcore fan of the NHL.
I'm not turned off by the game, at all. But I am definitely turned off by most of the people involved in the NHL.
Nobody talks straight, nobody walks straight. It's a lot of posturing and silly self-righteousness.
And that's only from those that say anything, as most are either silent or "walking the line" because they're too dumb or too afraid to think for themselves.
Where are the role models, any of them?
How many times do I have to watch my sport grow, only to get slapped hard by the people supposedly supporting it, black eyes, bloody nose, broken jaw.

The game of hockey deserves better than to be stopped by individuals to fight over the proceeds.
Does hockey come first, or money? You tell me. Thanks for proving the NHL has a major moral dysfunction guys, again.
Do I want to watch after this, again? I'm entirely uncertain.

I was a child of the broad street bullies and the big bad bruins, marveled at Gretzky and Lemieux's skills, loved the passion that comes from fighting hard.
We're near removing fighting, approve military grade shells on equipment to injure opponents with and give a lot of penalties for minor infractions.
Now that we're well familiar with the character of the leaders, I've gotta ask, what am I supporting here?
THEM making lots of money, hmmmm....replace the cast of characters and I'll give it a shot.
That isn't going to happen if it goes "business as usual" when it returns.
Only the fans can cause heads to roll.

#16 returnofthejets

returnofthejets

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

I'll return. But until it's back I don't wear anything NHL I have, and I haven't purchased anything NHL during the lock out.

I'm upset at this entire thing and when it's back it won't be the same for a long time. I'll watch on tv and follow in the press and internet, but that'll be the level of my support, no cash out of my wallet.

#17 calgarywhite

calgarywhite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

The company I work for are seriously contemplating cancelling future season tickets circa $28,000 per year. They say they will entertain clients at selected games instead of trying to give away countless tickets for the bottom feeder games. I personally hope that corporates pull out en mass, and that demand -or should I say, lack of - reduces the ticket prices so it's more affordable to the ordinary family man.

When hockey is back, I will probably watch the games on tv, as I have no desire to buy any game tickets or even merchandise for my kids. I point blank refuse to further line the pockets of the spoilt brats that are disguised as NHL players.

#18 zima

zima

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

As many ppl on this board I am very discouraged and miffed at how the league and teams are showing us the fans how much they appreciate us as there hard core fans I use to have season tickets way back when but as the greed and quality of the game and play have gone up and down it is just unimaginable how they can treat us as fans a player makes in the NHL low end 750- 1mill and top players are pulling in 6-10 mill a season and here we are most of us can't even afford a ticket in the nose bleeds let alone the parking and beer and anything else that makes for a fun time out with friends or family. Hello to all u players and owners have u forgotten about us we are the ones that pay the bills and ur wages I think it is time we went on strike and show these greedy b#*stereds that we control the money not them. Just my opinion but come on we all say the same thing we will be back so what does that tell the players and owners no biggie we can charge way more and they will be back that is what I'm hearing. Any way I will not be back as a paying costumer because they have no respect for me as a fan nor do they for the rest of there fans think about it. What a travesty.

#19 siliconscout

siliconscout

Champion of the Big Hit.

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

Kind of a silly poll really.

I mean if you are hockey fan enough to be on the forums of the flames then it really should be a given that you are going to return. If you were leaving you wouldn't wait for hockey to return to quit it.

That said it's probably a more interesting poll to ask how interested you will be.

I can only go from past history here but I was more of a fan prior to the last lockout, and in that I mean I watched literally every flames game even if I had to be watching some justintv stream or the like if it wasn't on centre ice.

Post lockout I caught about half the games and the others I either skipped or flipped out of when the game started going south (face it they are not a come back team of late). I used to watch to the bitter end but the last lockout taught me that I have better things to do with my time than watch a a boring loss.

With that history I expect I will watch even less. I hope it remains at least the same but I can't promise it as I have started to fined things that keep me going in it's absence. The WHL has an amazing product really it's not NHL hockey for sure but it is still really good hockey and driving an hour to the city (and back) + game + food + parking is still cheaper than a flames ticket (well not the sports check tickets LOL, let's call it a decent Flames ticket).

Get's my hockey fix taken care of so my guess is that if the Flames continue down the "house of cards" path I will certainly be watching less hockey, well at least less NHL hockey.

#20 JTech780

JTech780

Resident Know it All

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

I will always be a Flames fan, but right now am I missing NHL hockey...not really. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have two month old son and I really don't have too much time to watch hockey, but I feel like it also has something to do with the fact that I get the feeling that owners and players don't care that much about us as fans so we shouldn't spend too much time caring about them.

I am more excited to see the Blue Jays and their newly re-tooled team get going then I am the Flames, and that says something as I am a bigger hockey fan then I am a baseball fan.

I actually hope the season does get cancelled. I think if the league does that then they will really get to see how many fans they pissed off and turned off of hockey and maybe they will learn their lesson and not do this every 7 years. It could also mean that the Flames would have a better chance at getting the first overall pick in the next draft.