SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Photo

Is There An Echo In Here?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

It is kinda empty around here......

Posted Image

#2 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

Elder Statesman

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,918 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

Yeah.

Most of the time when I log in I'm the only member. It feels like there's only about a dozen of us that post anymore.

Hopefully the rest return when this stoppage is finally resolved.

#3 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,011 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

Some NHL boards that I have looked at actually have even less activity...

#4 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

Elder Statesman

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,918 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

Some NHL boards that I have looked at actually have even less activity...

You can include the Flyers 1 in that.
Dust & tumbleweeds. Days can go by without a post.

This stoppage will probably hurt the boards as much or more for a while then those frustrating change-overs.
********************************************************************************
Even the FB has gone to ridiculous threads (with fans becoming even more homer oriented in frustration).

If those that love the game enough to be regulars on a team board (or 2) are foregoing posting the bandwagon to average fan has grown even further away from the game. The new converts from last years playoffs have forgotten that they even cared.
Last time the fans came back & the league experienced growth. Part was from rule changes to simplify the game for newbies &/or appease the anti-fighting crowd. There aren't many rules they can change & still call the game hockey.

Since they might only have the diehards back maybe they should go back to rules/standards that got us watching in the 1st place. I'm not positive I'd be watching this watered down version of hockey now if I hadn't become addicted to it when winning was the goal & the $s in the contract were secondary.

#5 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,011 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Since they might only have the diehards back maybe they should go back to rules/standards that got us watching in the 1st place. I'm not positive I'd be watching this watered down version of hockey now if I hadn't become addicted to it when winning was the goal & the $s in the contract were secondary.

Speaking of diehards... My hockey highlight this fall was when I got to meet the Hanson Brothers after a charity game late September in which they got "thrown out" in the third period... They even signed my Chiefs Jersey... "Now that was some ol' time hockey eh?" :lol:

For anyone interested that might not have known this already, initially there were supposed to be the three Carlyle brothers in the movie instead of just two... Jack Carlson was called him up by the Oilers for the WHA playoffs and Dave Hanson took his place in the movie...

All three of the actors that played the Hanson Brothers played in the major leagues.... Dave Hanson played in 136 games in the NHL and WHA, Steve Carlson played in 225 games, in both the NHL and the WHA and Jeff Carlson played 7 games in the WHA...

The following is from a Wikipedia article... http://en.wikipedia....Hanson_Brothers

Jack Carlson was unable to act in the film as the Edmonton Oilers called him up for the WHA playoffs. In his place, Dave Hanson (born April 12, 1954, in Cumberland, Wisconsin) filled the role.

While the film's 'Hanson Brothers' were based on the real Carlson Brothers, the character of "Killer Carlson" is based on Dave Hanson-whose real hockey nickname was "Killer" Hanson. Thus, Dave Hanson filled in for Jack Carlson as one of the fictional Hanson Brothers - while another actor played a character modeled after Dave Hanson. Jack Carlson, the man Dave "played" in the movie, was also very well known throughout his career as an enforcer, and did pick up the real hockey nickname "Killer" Carlson.

In the movie, the Hanson Brothers speak with a typical North Central American accent, owing to their hometowns, in areas where hockey is prevalent. The United States Hockey Hall of Fame is located in Eveleth, Minnesota, only a few miles from Virginia, home of the Carlsons. The Iron League, from which the Hansons are supposedly bought, may be a reference to the Marquette Iron Rangers or the Iron Range, a hockey hotbed in Northern Minnesota.

Along with their time on minor professional teams like those depicted in the film, all three of the actors playing the Hanson Brothers played in the major leagues. Steve Carlson played in 225 games, in both the NHL and the WHA. Dave Hanson played in 136 games in the NHL and WHA. Jeff Carlson played 7 games in the WHA. Like their characters, both Dave Hanson and Jeff Carlson were known for a willingness to "drop the gloves". Steve Carlson did have some fights in his professional career, but was known more as a finesse player. Dave Hanson's son, Christian Hanson has played in the Washington Capitals organization, and was most recently (July 2012) signed to a two-way contact by the Boston Bruins.[1]

Jeff Carlson, Steve Carlson and Dave Hanson continue to make personal appearances as the Hanson Brothers, typically at minor league hockey games as of 2007. The brothers latest appeared at the first Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Alumni Game in Wilkes-Barre, PA on April 4, 2009.

#6 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,189 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

Well, can't blame anyone for not posting on a hockey message board when there's no hockey. TV isn't broadcasting much hockey. There's nothing to really talk about in terms of the sport. I hope the league gets the message. Fans are finding other things to do and hockey is becoming more and more of an after thought. I'm very sure we will lose a lot of quality members who won't care enough to come back and that's going to be a shame.

For everyone else, here's General Discussions to keep us occupied. How do we feel about Canada voting against the recognition of Palestine as an observer state? Will Israel go to war with Iran?

Is this a good time to invest in Calgary's real estate?

Lindsay Lohan is going to jail again? Can't believe her...

#7 Anie8706

Anie8706

The Resident Troll

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,381 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

Nothing much to talk about and I am pretty sure you guys want me to eventually shut up or disappear :lol:

#8 Invin

Invin

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

Hockey or not, this is still the only forum I visit anymore. Lots of smart people here that can debate in a civilized manner, which is pretty rare on the internets ^_^

#9 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

Well, can't blame anyone for not posting on a hockey message board when there's no hockey. TV isn't broadcasting much hockey. There's nothing to really talk about in terms of the sport. I hope the league gets the message. Fans are finding other things to do and hockey is becoming more and more of an after thought. I'm very sure we will lose a lot of quality members who won't care enough to come back and that's going to be a shame.

For everyone else, here's General Discussions to keep us occupied. How do we feel about Canada voting against the recognition of Palestine as an observer state? Will Israel go to war with Iran?

I thought it was nice to see them stand up and against something in the UN for a change. Then again the US is likely going to veto anything official anyway.

Anie you know a lot of us enjoy your posts around here. Some of us even hope you will one day see the light and hope it is before your hair turns grey.

#10 ifiwaschucknorris

ifiwaschucknorris

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

If you want to invest in real estate try Lethbridge. A large oil sands deposit was discovered about an hour south of here near Del Bonita and they are likely to start drilling in a couple of years. Lethbridge will likely see a boom akin to Fort McMurray.

I think a good chunk of the posters on here are a lot like me. I actually visit the Forum almost daily but unless I want to comment on the Oilers or argue theoretical lines and performance there isn't a lot of subjects that come up that haven't been done to death. It's actually kind of amusing that the Oilers trolls are some of the most active posters on our board even during the lockout.

I think the majority of forum members will return once we can start getting some answers to our constant conjecture and guesswork about jbouws rebounding, how the team will do under Hartley, who will back up Kipper and all the other questions.

On that note however I will try and create a discussion based topic every week which hopefully will help generate some interest while we wait for the rich to bicker with the richer.

#11 happycat

happycat

Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

>>> It's quite in here because I came back from China along time ago, and stopped complaining about life there...Although in afterthought, it's not that bad. New fancy S is being built, and new fancy stuff is being implemented. And Lenovo is like 80% AMERICAN, and 20% Chinese, when the owner left China ages ago.... China will eventually grow to a become a more humane country. But my money is on the Vietnamese. They seem to be doing everything right. (they're even making peace with the Americans)....Communism is a dying philosophy.

But anyways home, The Liberal party aimes to legalize weed once and for all get this crazy debate dealt with, and a bunch of other stuff. Is this a good thing or a bad thing for Canada? As a former weed smoker. I say it's a good thing. But perhaps you've heard before over and over, apply the same prohibition (minor laws), to dope. I stopped smoking (because of bad effects on my body. As with tobbaco, it's not good for the lungs. But it's better to eat it. Somehow I green out whenever I drink or smoke. (I'm a buttered king crab I know, but I had some good times). Pots not for everybody. Besides, what better? doing something well, and knowing it's as YTV used to say (Really Me), or is it the pot that's talking or the booze? know what I mean? However not saying I won't drink or smoke dope again (if legalized all the better), but not for a LONG time. It's so much easier on the wallet too. Plus I get way to frightened when I smoke or drink. Hearing buzzing "da buzz" alarms really freaks me out. (again yes I know I'm a buttered king crab). But if someone else wants to smoke or drink, please do it in a responsible manner (ie don't operate vehicle stoned or high, you might really hurt yourself or others).....But this would really revolutionize our agriculture, pot farms start to build a strong backbone as hippies escape the mean city of Da-man. snowboards,skateboards, building materials stronger than cement are built. (stuff is also used in automoibles). Think of the $$$$$$$$ it'll bring Canada, and Alberta!. UofA or Uof Olds students are getting baked writing reports. And Calgary could become a epicenter of such a agricultural revolution.. Like Americans in the Southern States, can start farming this and the Souther states, (agricultural paradises (see "Walking Dead"), could have a stable economy.

But don't get me wrong, you'd still have to work, and we're still mortal, and all that, China and Japan and all those mountain countries (I call them the Shangralia countries), ie Nepal, Bhutan, Sikkim, Bangladesh, have these ancient industries. (big hint: instability in government, India for instance is fighting multiple fronts, example terrorists (secular, and sectarian), and is fighting a communist insurgency.... And a global ineffective economy also retards the growth of the Hemp-Pot industry, and lots of ignorance. No Pot won't turn me into a psycho killer! Or what ever "Reffer Madness" claims. It'll just turn me into a very calm and hungry young man, who giggles.....

#12 happycat

happycat

Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

If you want to invest in real estate try Lethbridge. A large oil sands deposit was discovered about an hour south of here near Del Bonita and they are likely to start drilling in a couple of years. Lethbridge will likely see a boom akin to Fort McMurray.

>>>No offense intended, the Mormon church will enjoy a huge windfall. (Mormons have to pay 10% tithe, and many LDS live down there in the South in the Cardston). Shoot, I had a friend who lived in that area (or High River, he was thinking of going to Manyberries, a small town in the South), he would have loved a job. (he had a terrible accident discharge with a firearm however. :_(. This would have brought job stability (although he was couring the idea of migrating to Saskatchewan his homeworld). But Lethbridge might be a good base for the oil field jobs as it's not in some wacky isolated place up north... Perhaps, the "Mac" will no longer mean Fort MacMurray, but fort MacLeoud?

I think a good chunk of the posters on here are a lot like me. I actually visit the Forum almost daily but unless I want to comment on the Oilers or argue theoretical lines and performance there isn't a lot of subjects that come up that haven't been done to death. It's actually kind of amusing that the Oilers trolls are some of the most active posters on our board even during the lockout.

I think the majority of forum members will return once we can start getting some answers to our constant conjecture and guesswork about jbouws rebounding, how the team will do under Hartley, who will back up Kipper and all the other questions.

On that note however I will try and create a discussion based topic every week which hopefully will help generate some interest while we wait for the rich to bicker with the richer.

#13 Chairman_Maouth

Chairman_Maouth

Athletic Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

Ignore this. Doing a test.

navajo fry bread.

#14 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member