SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Photo

2013 Free Agent Centres

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

Poll: 2013 Free Agent Centres (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Who should the Flames target as there number 1 centre next year?

1. Patrick Elias, 6.00, age 36 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Ryan Getzlaf, 5.325, age 27 (7 votes [77.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 77.78%

3. Mike Ribeiro, 5.00, age 32 (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Tim Connolly, 4.75, age 31 (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Andy McDonald, 4.70, age 35 (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Nik Antropov, 4.06, age 32 (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Derek Roy, 4.00, age 29 (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

8. Travis Zajac, 3.89, age 27 (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Stephen Weiss, 3.10, age 29 (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Other (please explain) (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ifiwaschucknorris

ifiwaschucknorris

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

Because we don't have an NHL ready number one centre next year this question is legitimate.

I limited the question to UFA's as it doesn't require us giving up assets and is a much simpler question to ask.

Also I left out Cammalleri and Cervenka as we really don't know how they will perform in the NHL as centres.

To me the question is really about where we are headed. Do we take the quick fix route with an older nhl centre for a few years until we can bring up Jankowski or whoever? Or do we gamble on a younger guy who hopefully is entering his prime and can be our number one guy for a longer period of time?

Please elaborate on your responses.

#2 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

I think the majority of those young guys will sign an extension, or be traded and sign an extension. That said, Getzlaf and Zajac are my top two by far. I would be okay with Weiss. You could add Ribeiro and Roy as well if the Flames see them as a fit (attitude, etc) and depending how well they do this season.

#3 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,942 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

Getzlaf would be my pick...

Zajac had a shortened season last year, but even the year before that his production had started to drop a bit... He would still be a good choice as an upgrade though...

#4 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

Elder Statesman

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,889 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

The only 1 that I see as a true #1 is Getzlaf.

My #2 would be Zajak as he'd be a great 2C if the chance arose to acquire a true #1 via trade (or if a prospect/pick developed faster then expected). In the meantime he's as serviceable as many teams 1C.

#3 would be Weiss as he's similar to Zajak so the age & size were the tie breaker.

Those are the only centers coming UFA in 2013 I'd want to sign for more then 1-2 years.

None of the others impress me much but, as a 1-2 year bridge until we can sign better or a prospect develops, they are still better then our ragtag conversions so they'd be a stop gap if they came @ a reasonable price.

#5 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

When I look at that list I get depressed. Only one player produced more than what we already had in Joker, and I wouldn't really want the guy who managed 1 more assist.(Ribeiro)

So I chose other. As to what that other is I am not sure but it would include an offer to a player like Jamie Benn. Big, Clutch player and a 5th rounder who is excelling.

I don't see Getzlaf becoming available at all although he is the one player on your list I feel is the only true #1 Center.

As to what i think the Flames will do/target? I don't think they are going to do much of anything. I think they feel they have drafted 2 futures Max Reinhart and Mark Jankowski that may fill that spot down the road and are willing to make do with this group
Posted Image unless *something else falls in their lap.

*something else =
That would be something like Philly willing to trade Sean Couturier or Brayden Schenn for JBO and a pick or something.

#6 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,942 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

Sad, but true...

#7 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

If any of these players hit the open market and sign with a team other than the team they were on when the season ended they are going to end up being overpaid.

#8 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

If any of these players hit the open market and sign with a team other than the team they were on when the season ended they are going to end up being overpaid.

It has been awhile since I have actually agree with just about anything you have posted. I do agree with the above.

#9 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

Getting a 1C via free agency is pretty rare. Even trading for one is pretty rare. The Flames are currently playing a wild card in hoping for players like Hudler, Cammalleri, Cervenka, or Backlund to step into the role.

If that doesn't work out I would expect the Flames to take a gamble on a guy like Zajac, Roy, or Weiss. They really don't have many options and having a Conroy/Langkow caliber 1C is better then where we are today.

But I agree those guys may not be available and will be overpaid if they go to free agency.

#10 ifiwaschucknorris

ifiwaschucknorris

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

You are probably correct, but at the same time most of those centers are on the back 9 of there careers. The positives I see in this is that Getzlaf does have a Calgary connection and is coming off a very disappointing year and may be looking for a change of pace if he doesn't see a commitment to winning in Anaheim. Zajac may not want to be a part of what looks like its going to be a lengthy rebuild in New Jersey.

I see more possibility in acquiring Ribeiro or even MacDonald for a period of 3 or so years to ease the transition. We can't look at what this years centers are like compared to Joker. We don't have Joker. We have to consider whether these centers are an upgrade over our current hodgepodge of hopefuls. On that line of thought Jankowski is at least 2 years away and Reinhart is more i would say after seeing his struggles in the A this year.

Despite what I said above about Getzlaf I still think he is going to resign with Anaheim but if not he is the clear cut front runner in this race and would be expecting something around 7.5 million/7 years. Would we want to pay that? I don't know.

I see Zajac as the most likely and affordable option on this list as I feel he will sign for about 5.5-6 for around 5 years. Unless I knew that Getzlaf was leaning our way already I wouldn't even waste my time making a pitch to him.

#11 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

I see more possibility in acquiring Ribeiro or even MacDonald for a period of 3 or so years to ease the transition. We can't look at what this years centers are like compared to Joker. We don't have Joker. We have to consider whether these centers are an upgrade over our current hodgepodge of hopefuls. On that line of thought Jankowski is at least 2 years away and Reinhart is more i would say after seeing his struggles in the A this year.

Unless you compare what you have(Cervenka, Backlund, Stajan & Cammy if he plays full time center) to what you had(Joker, Backlund, Horak, Stajan etc.) you have no way to know if you are actually improving or not.

As well all you can do with the above list is put them on an internal ratings list until there is a chance of actually putting in a offer for them. We as a forum have been posting these dream lists of centers for well over a decade now. How many quality centers in the last 15 years have actually become available that we have even bothered to put in offers for? Richards, Joker.... suddenly the list gets shorter......

The time to compare our prospects to our lineup is when they are ready to enter the lineup and capable of playing here. Until then they are just a project in the making.

#12 returnofthejets

returnofthejets

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

On that line of thought Jankowski is at least 2 years away

I hope you mean at least 2 yrs. away from the Heat.

#13 ifiwaschucknorris

ifiwaschucknorris

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

Unless you compare what you have(Cervenka, Backlund, Stajan & Cammy if he plays full time center) to what you had(Joker, Backlund, Horak, Stajan etc.) you have no way to know if you are actually improving or not.

As well all you can do with the above list is put them on an internal ratings list until there is a chance of actually putting in a offer for them. We as a forum have been posting these dream lists of centers for well over a decade now. How many quality centers in the last 15 years have actually become available that we have even bothered to put in offers for? Richards, Joker.... suddenly the list gets shorter......

The time to compare our prospects to our lineup is when they are ready to enter the lineup and capable of playing here. Until then they are just a project in the making.

Your right and I guess I should have clarified. I meant we can't compare next years FA list to Joker as Joker is no longer an option for us.

I hope you mean at least 2 yrs. away from the Heat.

I meant at least 2 years away from even having an idea on how he will turn out.

#14 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

Your right and I guess I should have clarified. I meant we can't compare next years FA list to Joker as Joker is no longer an option for us.

I meant at least 2 years away from even having an idea on how he will turn out.

With the lockout drawing out longer, we may never find out how last years centers compares to this years. That might be a good thing from the standpoint of those like me who wonder what the hell they are/were thinking.

Next year we may never get to compare if we don't re-sign Cervenka.

I honestly don't think we will make a push for any of the players in your poll. The ease of which we think we can convert wingers makes me think that at most we will keep bringing trying wingers along the lines of Cammy/Cervenka.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note am I the only one wondering why the Flames wallpaper these days is showing a bunch of happy fans? Is there any happy hockey fans out there really sporting smiles?

#15 returnofthejets

returnofthejets

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

On a side note am I the only one wondering why the Flames wallpaper these days is showing a bunch of happy fans? Is there any happy hockey fans out there really sporting smiles?

First day of the lockout the league instructed the teams to remove anything that basically was advertising the players. I believe on the players side they were told to not wear anything team related or league related, so no caps or shirts or whatever.

That one kids smile is a bit sinister, I hope his parents sleep with one eye open.

#16 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,153 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

Getzlaf is the only true number one center on that list. Going after anyone else on that list to me is a foolish move. They don't fill your need and your going to massivly overpay for them to the point where they are just not worth it and it's a contract that your very likely to get saddled with pretty quickly.

#17 alwahla

alwahla

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:19 AM

As much as I dislike Getzlaf, I must admit he's the only player from that list, who I would choose to play as our no 1 center. He's got the size and skills, but his attitude sucks big time. I'd say: if you can have him, sign him for $ 5 mil per year for the next four years. No more, but if possible, less.

#18 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,942 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

As much as I dislike Getzlaf, I must admit he's the only player from that list, who I would choose to play as our no 1 center. He's got the size and skills, but his attitude sucks big time. I'd say: if you can have him, sign him for $ 5 mil per year for the next four years. No more, but if possible, less.

His Cap hit is $5.325 mil, but his salary last season was $6.125 mil... It was a 5 year contract signed when he was 22...

Prior to the lockout, the Ducks have publicly stated their desire to sign Getzlaf before he becomes an UFA next summer... Getzlaf will be looking for an increase possibly as much as up to $8 mil, depending on term and the effects of the next CBA... Unless circumstances in the league change, he will get most of that increase he will be looking for...