Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Top 30 Prospects According To Button

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Keyro

Keyro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

Craig Button posted what he thought were the top 30 NHL affiliated prospects.

http://www.tsn.ca/dr...eature/?id=9601

Flames with two prospects in the top 30, Sven Baertschi at 8 and Johhny Gaudreau at 20.

Baertschi ahead of other notable 2011 draft picks like Huberdeau, Strome, Hamilton and Zibanejad.

Gaudreau is the lowest round pick in the top 30.

On one hand flames fans can get excited about some media validation regarding our prospect pool. On the other hand it's Button. He ranked Rielly 5th and Murray 26th. He also put Dougie Hamilton 12th, which I find is absolute hogwash.

What does everyone think about Button's assessment?

#2 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

Craig Button posted what he thought were the top 30 NHL affiliated prospects.

http://www.tsn.ca/dr...eature/?id=9601

What does everyone think about Button's assessment?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course. I don't get too concerned about these things but I do look for the consistency from list to list (don't get me wrong, I like when they are not afraid to go against the norm and I think Button is good that way).

What I have seen recently on Baertchi:

Finally getting recognized - I have seen him 8th, 8th, 9th and 11th in the most recent lists I've seen. He has been ahead of Granlund in each one. Sometimes ahead of Huberdeau, usually ahead of Zinbad, etc.

One thing that is interesting about Button's list is that he has Schultz 1st. This is BY FAR the highest I have seen him. In the other 3 I have recently seen, I think the highest he was ranked was 22nd. Obviously, Button is buying into the success that Schultz is having with the Barons.

As for Gaudreau, this is the highest I have seen him and the 2nd time I have seen him in the top 50 (which I think he totally deserves). He is starting to get noticed, but he needs to compete against more of his peers (i.e. in the WJC) before most people will really consider him. I think if he has a great WJC, then you will see others add him to their lists as Button has.

Thanks for posting

#3 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

I'm okay with the list..I mean...how do you really put one together anyway? So hard.

Schultz would have the greatest impact if the NHL season started today.

He's also a lot older.

He won't stay on top forever, but he is a special player.

Great to see that Calgary has two players on the top 30.

I'm hoping that the skills coming through the pipeline can finally start to compensate, and maybe More than compensate, for some of the aging core players on the Flames. Keep it up Flames scouting staff!