Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Suggestion: Tavares

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mattman456

Mattman456

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

Watching the World Junoirs and highlights from previous years has got me really pumped for some exciting hockey finally! Beside the point I did not see Tyler Wotherspoon coming at all. A total surprise to the roster. But I began looking him up and noticing he's actually similar to Phanuef in some ways. He can be physical and stands up for others and loves to shoot. We have alot of young D that can mature quickly if provided whit a chance.That's why I suggest this:

New York Islanders trade us JT.

It would take a ton of great players to move someone like Tavares but it would be worth it. Here's a list of players I think NYI would be intrested in( that we could give):

D-JBo
D-Gio
LW-Cammy
LW-Glencross
G-Kipper
G-Karlsson
C-Backlund
RW-Nemiz
C-Hudler

Now the Iles want defense mainly but if there going to loose Tavares they want offense as well. They want young but expirince. They want a reliable tender.

Now flip the table; we want youth, reliability, a new leader, a new friend for Bartschi, a goal scorer, a clutch center.

Calgary trades;
D- Giordano
C/LW- Cammy
G-Karlsson
LW-Glencross
2013 2nd pick

New York trades:
C-Tavares
LW-Perrson
D-deHann( or not if its too much)

Why: Fills out a strong defense leadership from Gio and good scoring with Glen and Cammy. Karlsson is intimidating and probably eager to play. Gio moving out makes room for young guys like Wotherspoon to step up.

Tavares...duh. Perrson is a very quick LW who could be paired with Backlund in the future. deHann is small but fast and has a wicked shot.

Line up:
Bartschi/Tavares/Iggy
Taungay/Cervenka/Hudler
Comeau /Backlund/Stempniak
Horak/Grandlund/Jackman

JBo/Wideman
Brodie/Wotherspoon
Sarich/Butler

Kipper
Irving

Yes? No? Maybe so?

#2 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

the Islanders are NOT trading Tavares unless they were given massive overpayment.

You are not going to be able to make a package from the list you gave - you would have to include Baertschi, some 1sts, and more.

#3 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,402 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

the Islanders are NOT trading Tavares unless they were given massive overpayment.

You are not going to be able to make a package from the list you gave - you would have to include Baertschi, some 1sts, and more.

Agreed.

In fact I would take it another step. The Islander's aren't trading Tavares. Period. At least not for any price that any club would realistically spend. Not unless Tavares wants out. And give the fact he just signed a 6-year extension there is no reason to believe he wants out.

To the OP, Tavares is right up there with young Franchise guys like Stamkos, Crosby, Toews, RNH, etc. These guys aren't traded except in the most exceptional circumstances. Tavares is their franchise player, future captain, was a first overall draft pick in 2009, had his first PPG season in 11/12, and just signed a budget six year deal with the club. This would be like the Flames trading Iginla the second he hit his prime. Worse, as he didn't come with the expectation of a first overall and hadn't signed a budget 5.5 million per year deal.

That trade you put together is extremely one sided. It doesn't make them better today. It doesn't make them better tomorrow. It doesn't help them in the pocket book as the Islander's would be taking on an extreme amount of salary (that they can't afford).

As a theoretical exercise you would have to look at something like Baertschi, Brodie, and 2 firsts to start approaching similar value. But the Islander's wouldn't take that deal and it is likely the Flames wouldn't either.

#4 returnofthejets

returnofthejets

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

As already stated this deal would never happen based on it's merits, but of it's technicalities it fails as the Flames don't have a 2013 2nd round pick as they dealt it away in the Bourgue/cammy deal.

#5 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,080 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

Agreed.

In fact I would take it another step. The Islander's aren't trading Tavares. Period. At least not for any price that any club would realistically spend.

These points alone, sum up why the Islanders do not make the trade...