Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Possible Trades/signings/drafts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 murray-adam

murray-adam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

Okay I have been following all these talks for a long time without saying anything and I, as I'm sure most of the rest of you, feel that the quality and the quantity of suggestions, rumours ect has greatly decreased recently. If one more person try's to justify trading for Tavares or Toews or someone else one more time I'm going to lose it.

What I'm suggesting is people post some actual suggestions for either a free agent signing, a trade or a draft pick that actually makes sense for the team. Address our issues I.E: a number 1 centre, a top 4 defenceman, youth and a future goaltender ect.

I know it's tough with the lockout, which will hopefully be wrapping up soon, to try to imagine any trades but just try to come up with something...anything...please

#2 Flame111

Flame111

Flames Zombie (Reality Bites)

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:44 AM

http://fans.flames.n...-read-me-first/

#3 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

http://fans.flames.nhl.com/community/topic/14950-trade-suggestions-read-me-first/

You've been hiding in the hills.

I haven't forgot our bet. Unless Kiprusoff or Iginla get traded before the season starts, I get to pick your posting sig and you have to keep it until the Flames win 10 games.

It's fun to be right.

#4 lou44291

lou44291

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

Interesting to note, on capgeek the other day I saw kipper sitting at #5 in the top 10 player searches on the site. Then again, those stats are dependent on recent volume to the site and I suspect they're not getting as many visitors during the lockout.

Also, I am not part of the trade kipper fan club by any means, quite the contrary actually.

#5 murray-adam

murray-adam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

I think ideally there is a 48 game season and a team like Columbus or the Islanders challenge for a playoff spot and would want to trade for Iginla, as much as I want to keep iggy, something like Strome, Grabner/Okposo and a 1st would be far more useful.

#6 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

I think ideally there is a 48 game season and a team like Columbus or the Islanders challenge for a playoff spot and would want to trade for Iginla, as much as I want to keep iggy, something like Strome, Grabner/Okposo and a 1st would be far more useful.

Iginla would have to waive in order to be traded...

Do you really think he would waive to go to either the Blue Jackets or Islanders?

#7 wally31

wally31

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:58 AM

Islanders wouldn't trade Strome for an Iggy rental.

I could see a team like St.Louis giving up a 1st + 3rd + average prospect for an Iginla rental... They have a young core, lots of good young prospects, and a legitimate chance at winning the cup.

Boston would also fit this criteria. Young core, good young prospects, and legit chance at winning.

#8 murray-adam

murray-adam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Honestly if we don't get a huge overpayment I don't want iggy going anywhere. We need at least a top 6 forward/top 4 dman + a good prospect + at least a second rounder, or something like that anyways.

Also who does everyone like in the upcoming draft, I think anyone who picks in the top 5 will find a franchise player.
Mackinnon, Barkov or Pulock are the players I am most excited to see sporting the flaming C but it all depends on where we draft. Is there anyone else you would prefer over any of these guys, or any hidden gems you think we could get in the 3rd round?

#9 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,282 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Honestly if we don't get a huge overpayment I don't want iggy going anywhere. We need at least a top 6 forward/top 4 dman + a good prospect + at least a second rounder, or something like that anyways.

I think the days of getting a huge overpayment for Iggy have passed us by about 2 years ago. Those last rumors would be the LA rumors I think.

#10 Canada15

Canada15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Paul Gaustad was traded to Nashville for a first round pick last playoffs. I think we all severely under value a veteran leader, point scorer, and overall good guy like Iginla. Teams would give up a large chunk of future for Iginla if he fits in their line up and they have a good chance. Ie, pittsburgh, boston.

#11 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Paul Gaustad was traded to Nashville for a first round pick last playoffs. I think we all severely under value a veteran leader, point scorer, and overall good guy like Iginla. Teams would give up a large chunk of future for Iginla if he fits in their line up and they have a good chance. Ie, pittsburgh, boston.

Iginla's value goes way up of the Flames can retain some of his cap hit.

#12 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Here are a few (IMO) realistic trade proposals involving the Calgary Flames. Keep in mind that no fan trade proposal is truly realistic. We lack the perspective and information. Also, even if we do nail a realistic proposal most of the board won't agree with it. Heck, if a fan proposed Regher, Kotalik, 2-round (CGY) for (BUF) Byron, Butler chances are most of the board would have told that poster they were nuts (and I won't even get into the late Sutter trades).

Gaudreau, Glencross (CGY) for (BOS) Krejci

Fans will hate losing a dynamic prospect like Gaudreau. But give the hype around this kid relative to the true likelihood of him being a better player then someone like Krejci now could be the time to strike.

Boston is DEEP at C and could lose him. Apparently they are very high in Gaudreau with him playing in their backyard. Glencross would be a great fit there.

Meanwhile Krejci easily slots in as our 1C.

Stajan (CGY) for (MTR) Gomez

This trade has been discussed by fans for a couple of seasons. A change in scenery for both players could be what the doctor ordered. Gomez has the potential to be a 1C between Iginla and Tanguay.

But it wasn't all that realistic previously as Gomez simply makes too much money to risk. However, now there is a cushion of an Amnesty buy-out so it might actually be worth a shot.

Bouwmeester (CGY) for (STL) Stewart (Calgary retains 3-million in salary - full cap traded)

With the potential ability for a team to retain cap or salary options have opened up for trading a player like Bouwmeester. STL makes a lot of sense as they are on record as looking for a top 4D. They have a load of cap room but may shy away from the 6.8 million in cash. But if Calgary can take some of that cash they may find a dance partner.

With Schwartz and Tarasenko entering the line up, with Stewart's rough season, and this being Stewart's last restricted year he is the likely piece IMO. Calgary could really use the size and the help on RW.

Personally I think Calgary lacks the D depth to realistically lose Bouwmeester. But Feaster showed last season he was willing to rely on players like Butler. The Flames still have Wideman, Giordano, Sarich, Brodie, and Butler as potential top 4 options and Feaster may decide he is okay with that.

#13 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,282 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Here are a few (IMO) realistic trade proposals involving the Calgary Flames.....

This trade has been discussed by fans for a couple of seasons. A change in scenery for both players could be what the doctor ordered. Gomez has the potential to be a 1C between Iginla and Tanguay.

But it wasn't all that realistic previously as Gomez simply makes too much money to risk. However, now there is a cushion of an Amnesty buy-out so it might actually be worth a shot.

I see you still have visions with Gomez.
-You were the one who suggested Gomez 2 seasons ago.
-Most of the discussion around here was how Gomez would not fit here in a 1C role.
-A good portion of the remaining posters thought he was way too expensive.

I can see the Habs using their buyout on him but I can't think of 1 good reason for us trade for him. We don't need a 2-3 or 4C from the looks of things. If Joker didn't fit well then Gomez won't fit at all.

So tell me kehatch how is being 2 seasons older and his ability to barely center Montreals 3rd line make him a 1C here? Are we that bad or are they that much better?

Bouwmeester (CGY) for (STL) Stewart (Calgary retains 3-million in salary - full cap traded)

With the potential ability for a team to retain cap or salary options have opened up for trading a player like Bouwmeester. STL makes a lot of sense as they are on record as looking for a top 4D. They have a load of cap room but may shy away from the 6.8 million in cash. But if Calgary can take some of that cash they may find a dance partner.

With Schwartz and Tarasenko entering the line up, with Stewart's rough season, and this being Stewart's last restricted year he is the likely piece IMO. Calgary could really use the size and the help on RW.

Personally I think Calgary lacks the D depth to realistically lose Bouwmeester. But Feaster showed last season he was willing to rely on players like Butler. The Flames still have Wideman, Giordano, Sarich, Brodie, and Butler as potential top 4 options and Feaster may decide he is okay with that.

I can't believe Feaster would do this trade. I certainly wouldn't. St Louis might.

#14 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

@DD

On Gomez: The fact remains that he has been a 67-point (average) C for his 10-seasons preceding the last two. His last two seasons have been dreadful. Both with Montreal. Those two seasons combined with his contract could make him available for nothing. Add the Amnesty as insurance and it is a low risk acquisition that could potentially address our greatest need.

I wouldn't suggest a rebound is inevitable. But the environment in Montreal has been pretty tough on Gomez and he has previously shown the talent to be a top 6C. It would be ignorant to dismiss the possibility of him rebounding in a new environment. It is the type of low cost / low risk gamble that Feaster could make.

On Bouwmeester: I am not sure if I make the trade either. But there was a lot of smoke around trading Bouwmeester prior to the lockout. It will be interesting to see if that starts up again when the season resumes. Especially with the ability to retain salary potentially increasing his value. If the Flames are interested in moving Bouwmeester St Louis is a good destination.

Detroit is another. I would like to see a trade involving Filppula. I just doubt that Detroit is willing to move him after their turnover at forward and there lack of youth.

Either way, none of these are suggestions I necessarily want to happen. I was just attempting to put together some potentially realistic proposals as per the thread.

#15 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

Here are a few (IMO) realistic trade proposals involving the Calgary Flames. Keep in mind that no fan trade proposal is truly realistic. We lack the perspective and information. Also, even if we do nail a realistic proposal most of the board won't agree with it. Heck, if a fan proposed Regher, Kotalik, 2-round (CGY) for (BUF) Byron, Butler chances are most of the board would have told that poster they were nuts (and I won't even get into the late Sutter trades).

Gaudreau, Glencross (CGY) for (BOS) Krejci

Fans will hate losing a dynamic prospect like Gaudreau. But give the hype around this kid relative to the true likelihood of him being a better player then someone like Krejci now could be the time to strike.

Boston is DEEP at C and could lose him. Apparently they are very high in Gaudreau with him playing in their backyard. Glencross would be a great fit there.

Meanwhile Krejci easily slots in as our 1C.

I like the trades. They are reasonable and address the Flames' needs. I think Montreal might have to add a pick to the Gomez deal.

#16 murray-adam

murray-adam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:32 AM

I really feel that the Gaudreau/GlenX for Krejci trade makes the most sense. It gives us a guy that can play our 1C position and allows us to move Cammy into Glen's 2LW spot. I think that this trade alone makes the Flames significantly better right now.

Tanguay-Krejci-Iginla
Cammy-Hudler-Stemps
Bear-Cervenka-Backlund
Comeau-Stajan-Jackman/Horak

Bouw-Gio
Wideman-Butler
Brodie-Sarich

Kipper
Irving/Karlsson

That actually looks like a very legitiment lineup, Im not saying they will challenge for the cup, but they do look like a playoff team.

#17 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,282 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:42 AM

@DD

On Gomez: The fact remains that he has been a 67-point (average) C for his 10-seasons preceding the last two. His last two seasons have been dreadful. Both with Montreal. Those two seasons combined with his contract could make him available for nothing. Add the Amnesty as insurance and it is a low risk acquisition that could potentially address our greatest need.

I wouldn't suggest a rebound is inevitable. But the environment in Montreal has been pretty tough on Gomez and he has previously shown the talent to be a top 6C. It would be ignorant to dismiss the possibility of him rebounding in a new environment. It is the type of low cost / low risk gamble that Feaster could make.

On Bouwmeester: I am not sure if I make the trade either. But there was a lot of smoke around trading Bouwmeester prior to the lockout. It will be interesting to see if that starts up again when the season resumes. Especially with the ability to retain salary potentially increasing his value. If the Flames are interested in moving Bouwmeester St Louis is a good destination.

Detroit is another. I would like to see a trade involving Filppula. I just doubt that Detroit is willing to move him after their turnover at forward and there lack of youth.

Either way, none of these are suggestions I necessarily want to happen. I was just attempting to put together some potentially realistic proposals as per the thread.

I have next to zero faith in your suggestions for a 1C for the Flames. Before Gomez it was Tim Connolly and frankly neither one is a 1C at this stage of their career, and neither one "would address our greatest need". Think about it, you need to forget the last two years Gomez has played to justify your suggestion. A change in local is unlikely to improve his performance much at all.

You were the one who suggested trading Stajan for him. If they settle it appears there will be a buyout and I can almost guarantee he would be Montreal's choice so why trade for him? Personally I would pick Stajan over Gomez if I had to make a choice tomorrow. Better contract, and even though he also had a brutal year Stajan still outpaced Gomez and at 3 mil/yr less. No Gomez is not low risk, we don't need any more projects and we don't need to get older.

I think THN has him pegged about right:

FLAWS: His offensive production has disappeared with time, with no sign of a comeback. Doesn't play a physical game and lacks the strength to dominate. Doesn't shoot enough and can at times be a turnover machine.
CAREER POTENTIAL: Declining playmaking center.

Note they use the term disappeared not deteriorated. And you seriously want to put him as our 1C ? A turnover machine is just what we need as our 1C.

#18 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:37 AM

I have next to zero faith in your suggestions for a 1C for the Flames. Before Gomez it was Tim Connolly and frankly neither one is a 1C at this stage of their career, and neither one "would address our greatest need". Think about it, you need to forget the last two years Gomez has played to justify your suggestion. A change in local is unlikely to improve his performance much at all.

You were the one who suggested trading Stajan for him. If they settle it appears there will be a buyout and I can almost guarantee he would be Montreal's choice so why trade for him? Personally I would pick Stajan over Gomez if I had to make a choice tomorrow. Better contract, and even though he also had a brutal year Stajan still outpaced Gomez and at 3 mil/yr less. No Gomez is not low risk, we don't need any more projects and we don't need to get older.

I think THN has him pegged about right:

Note they use the term disappeared not deteriorated. And you seriously want to put him as our 1C ? A turnover machine is just what we need as our 1C.

Completely agree - ridiculous trade idea for a useless player. And as you said, if you have any interest in him at all, he will be available as a UFA shortly.

#19 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

I really feel that the Gaudreau/GlenX for Krejci trade makes the most sense. It gives us a guy that can play our 1C position and allows us to move Cammy into Glen's 2LW spot. I think that this trade alone makes the Flames significantly better right now.

Tanguay-Krejci-Iginla
Cammy-Hudler-Stemps
Bear-Cervenka-Backlund
Comeau-Stajan-Jackman/Horak

Bouw-Gio
Wideman-Butler
Brodie-Sarich

Kipper
Irving/Karlsson

That actually looks like a very legitiment lineup, Im not saying they will challenge for the cup, but they do look like a playoff team.

Re the bold - that's the problem with this trade.

No way do I trade my best contract and Johnny Hockey fro Krejci. The Flames are starting to build a solid prospect pool for the first time since the 80s, let's not throw that away for a player that is not a real #1 C - it's not like that lineup cap win the cup (which would be different)

How many times do the same dumb trade suggestions have to get dragged out?

#20 Flame111

Flame111

Flames Zombie (Reality Bites)

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,441 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:42 AM

You've been hiding in the hills.

I haven't forgot our bet. Unless Kiprusoff or Iginla get traded before the season starts, I get to pick your posting sig and you have to keep it until the Flames win 10 games.

It's fun to be right.

I haven't been hiding, I do come by and read on occasion on the Oilers and Flames boards but there just isn't anything to really talk about. This lock-out has seriously pissed me off.

The last one I could understand and even supported the NHL because the salary cap was a good thing and worth fighting for. This lock-out is a joke. I support the NHLPA, not the NHL and now I hate Bettman beyond belief. His forced and failed Southern expansion led to the so-called issues the League has. He is creator of the artificial problems he now wants to make the players pay for. He is also a snake, despite the deadweight of the forced and failed expansion, the NHL still has had an increase in revenue overall and in the climate of the worst economic conditions since the Great Depression.

Bettman I am sure already has his relocations and/or contraction planned which will lead to an even greater surge in revenue for the league long term but not until he has scaled back the player's salaries even more, disgusting. He knows with just a few relocations what will happen with the NHL's overall revenue.

Pure greed and it disgusts me. All of the anti-Winnipeg skepticism has been utterly destroyed after the Jets 2.0 inaugural season and Bettman knows a couple relocations and/or a contraction will push revenue to record levels overall in the NHL by cutting some deadweight teams and moving them to CDN markets that are starving for them and in the end it will benefit all the owners.

Yet he has hard-lined the NHLPA, and his hardline negotiating and brinksmanship has all been at the cost of fans like you and me who simply love hockey and want to watch it.

In short, I am no longer going to dedicate my time to hockey like I used to in past years. During the lockout I have hit the gym hard, dropped 20lbs and muscled up. I have read a lot of books and directed my writing energy to other topics, I simply do more now in life. In short I am locking out hockey for a few years in protest.

Bettman is counting on and probably is very correct in assuming that the fans will all come streaming back. This is one life long fan that will not be. I don't have faith in the management of the NHL and they don't deserve my time anymore. Until Bettman is fired or replaced I am out on my own strike now for several years.

This is the third lock-out under his tenure and it is absurd. I don't think there is any other leader in any sport who shows such contempt for the fans than Gary Bettman and in Bettman's case it is his hard-ball negotiating that is his calling card. Last time he may have had a case to be made for fundamental changes, this time is just greed. He set up his deadline long ago and he is going to run right to it.

Meanwhile back in Calgary, the greatest Flames player of all time, Jarome Iginla has had to suffer through not just one but two lock-outs now. Jarome will go down in the hockey history books as a huge question mark of what could have been. He will never be as fully appreciated as he should be as the truly elite player he is. In his absolute prime age wise he lost the entire next season in 2005. Now this lock-out will also halt one of his great achievements of consistency - the 30 goal season.

He has 11 straight years now and it would have been 12 if he hadn't lost 2004-2005. Jarome due to his famous conditioning would likely have taken out the NHL's all -time record of 15 straight years with 30 goals and he certainly would have matched Gretzky's 13 straight seasons. That really should say it all.

Gretzky got going on his record surrounded by other elite players. Jarome achieved his with players of modest skill level. There was no Kurri/Gretz, no Bossy/Trottier, no Jagr/Lemiuex and on top of that Jarome played alone and achieved it in the stifling trap era unlike most of the others who did it in the high-scoring 80s.

I have just had enough.

It is a good time for a Flames fan to take a break. I am sure I will return in several years with the hope that Johnny G, will emerge as a new Fleury 2.0. With the hope the Swiss sensation Sven does take his place as a top player and with the hope that Jankowski will finally step in to fill the void that Joe Nieuwendyk left in Calgary so long ago.

For Oilers fans this lock-out is fine, of all teams they are probably the least affected but for Flames fans they have been robbed of yet another season to watch their all time greats play the game. Iggy and Kipper in their final years.

It is going to be a lull here for Flames fans anyway, no rational person thinks the Flames are going to win the Cup but I was really looking forward to his year to see how it was going to play out. Now I have had it.

I am sure I will be back at some point but it will be several years from now and yes I will honor the sig bet but it isn't like I am going to be posting much anymore. So kind of a hollow win for you…

:ph34r: