Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Opening Day Lineup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
104 replies to this topic

#1 Flames22

Flames22

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

Now that we actually have Flames hockey (Yahoo!!), what do we think that the opening lineup will be? Just my take...

Cammalleri Cervenka Iginla
Glencross Hudler Stempniak
Tanguay Backlund Stajan
Comeau Jones Jackman

Bouwmeester Wideman
Giordano Brodie
Butler Sarich
Smith/Babchuk

Kiprusoff
Irving

I know I did not include Baertschi, however I figure we could let him play a season in the AHL, and have him fill in as depth when injuries happen.

#2 PokernHockey

PokernHockey

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

Here are my changes to your lineup. I put any differences in red
Cammalleri Cervenka Iginla
Tanguay Backlund Hudler
GlencrossStajan Stempniak
Comeau Jones Jackman

Bouwmeester Wideman
Giordano Brodie
Butler Sarich
Smith/Babchuk

Kiprusoff
Irving

I am assuming that Baertchi is still injured to start the season. I can pretty much guarantee he "starts" the year in the NHL (once he is 100%). At that point i would expect stempniak moved to the fourth line and Baertchi joining the third line.

Also, I wouldnt be surprised if the lines change relatively quickly if Backland gets moved down depending on how he is doing.

The key players I expect to get set up for success (i.e., given every opportunity on better lines then they have previously conclusively earned) are Backlund, Baertchi,Brodie.

I also expect to see Irving play a more prominent role then we flames fans would be used to. But just getting normal backup starts would be more then we are used to.

#3 JDAWG09714

JDAWG09714

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

How healthy are hudler Cervenka and Baertschi.?

#4 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Baertschi is already back and will almost certainly be on the opening night roster. Cervenka on the other hand is injured and won't be at camp. Feaster has confirmed. Hudler is questionable bit my bet is he is ready.

Tanguay - Cammalleri - Iginla
Glencross - Stajan - Hudler
Baertschi - Backlund - Stempniak
Comeau - Jones - Jackman

Cammalleri has chemistry with Iginla and is proven on a top line so I think he gets the 1C. Stajan is the Jokinen replacement. The rest is self explanatory.

Giordano - Wideman
Bouwmeester - Brodie
Butler - Sarich

Brodie has been very good in the AHL and Hartley likes to elevate his rookies. Bouwmeester is also a solid mentor and can cover for any of his gaps. If you put those two together the rest falls into place.

Kipper
Irving

Weisbrod named him recently as one of the Heat that will likely make the Flames (along with Baertschi and Brodie). They don't have a great alternative so I think he gets the backup gig.

McCarthy and Begin both get tryouts and given our lack of physicality it wouldn't surprise me if either make the lineup.

Also, trades wouldn't shock me either.

But barring more injuries or transactions that is my guess for opening night.

#5 JTech780

JTech780

Resident Know it All

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Baertschi has started playing again for Abbotsford so that is a good sign. I believe he has played 2 games this weekend.

I don't think Hudler will be used as a center, or at least I hope not. Also has he recovered from getting hit in the neck with a skate?

My lines are:

Tanguay/Cammaleri/Iginla
Baertschi/Cervenka/Backlund
Glencross/Stajan/Stempniak
Comeau/Jones/Jackman

I think Hudler will miss the start of the season.

#6 PokernHockey

PokernHockey

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

TSNs expected lines are:

Tanguay Cervenka Iginla
Hudler Cammy Glencross
Baertschi Backlund Stephniak
Byron Stajan Jackman
Jones
Horak

Gio Wideman
Bouw Butler
Smith Sarich
Brodie Babchuk
Piskula Carson

Kipper
Karlsson
Irving

I don't have much faith in their D. I expect Bouw and Wideman will start the season as the top D pairing.

#7 murray-adam

murray-adam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

I think if any of the rookies have earned a spot on the opening night roster it's Horak, he's been phenomenal (by flames prospect standards) in the AHL and would be a better fit that Comeau in my opinion.

#8 JTech780

JTech780

Resident Know it All

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

I think if any of the rookies have earned a spot on the opening night roster it's Horak, he's been phenomenal (by flames prospect standards) in the AHL and would be a better fit that Comeau in my opinion.

I would rather see Horak get top line minutes in the AHL then 4th line minutes in the NHL. I think it would be better for his development.

#9 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

I would rather see Horak get top line minutes in the AHL then 4th line minutes in the NHL. I think it would be better for his development.

I agree. He is a season removed from junior. A full year in the AHL to establish his consistency would be a good thing. When he is on his game he is good. But he really lacks consistency.

He will likely get some games as an injury call up. But I don't think he should be on the opening night roster unless he is dynamite in camp.

#10 travel_dude

travel_dude

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

Baertschi - Backlund - Stempniak
Comeau - Jones - Jackman

Giordano - Wideman
Bouwmeester - Brodie
Butler - Sarich

Kipper
Irving

Weisbrod named him recently as one of the Heat that will likely make the Flames (along with Baertschi and Brodie). They don't have a great alternative so I think he gets the backup gig.

McCarthy and Begin both get tryouts and given our lack of physicality it wouldn't surprise me if either make the lineup.

Also, trades wouldn't shock me either.

But barring more injuries or transactions that is my guess for opening night.

I pretty much agree with your lines; the BBS line is skill and finesse. I think you may also see Aliu make the roster, as well as Street(for different reasons. Aliu adds grit and size, while Street is a potential scoring center if Matt has a bad start.

On D, I would expect to see Smith in as at least a 7D. I would like to see Breen brough up to see how he plays the NHL game.

For Goal, I would like to see them get Ramo over here this year to backup Kipper. That may not be possible considering his KHL situation, but if it is we need to get him here before we lose him.

#11 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

It sounds like the following are confirmed to be invited to camp:

• Babchuk
  • Backlund
  • Baertschi
  • Begin (PTO)
  • Bouwmeester
  • Brodie
  • Butler
  • Cammalleri
  • Carson
  • Comean
  • Giordano
  • Glencross
  • Horak
  • Hudler
  • Iginla
  • Irving
  • Jackman
  • Jones
  • Karlson
  • Kiprusoff
  • McCarthy (PTO)
  • Sarich
  • Smith
  • Stajan
  • Stempniak
  • Street
  • Tanguay
  • Wideman

Guys in italics are trying out. Either from PTOs or from the Heat. The Flames seem sold on awarding positions based on merit so I think any of them could make the line-up. Bouma and Cervenka are not on the list as they will start the season on the IR.

Feaster said there would be between 30 and 33 invited to camp though (via the Fan 960). Sounded like an estimate rather then a commitment. But if you use that number the Flames need to add at 2 to 5 more to camp. My guess is Aliu and Byron get invites. Nemisz and Breen are options as well. I also wouldn't be surprised to see another PTO or two handed out. Though they won't be given the green light to talk to free agents until potentially Tuesday with camp starting potentially Wednesday. So there won't be much time.

#12 Zirakzigil

Zirakzigil

Hokay. So, heres da Earth.

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,112 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

This is pretty much given unless a major trade happens (unlikely) or Backlund plays lights out in camp

This is the last kick at the can for Stajan. Hes got a shot while Cervenka is recovering and needs to prove he is worth his cap hit to the team.

Baertschi - Backlund - Comeau
Personally I would prefer Glencross to Comeau on this line, he would give then a good defensive presence and make sure no one takes a cheap shot at our young guys. Baertschi is going to play sheltered minutes and Backlund/Comaeu gives him great offensive linemates. Remeber Comeau refused a 2 year deal this summer. He wanted the 1 year deal to prove himself and I personally feel he will have a good bounce back year. He will be given a chance to prove himself and I highly doubt he starts on the fourth line.

Jackman - Jones - Stempniak
Dont really get the Stempniak resigning, especially for 2 years. Jones is an energy guy and a solid penalty killer, his role and position is obvious. Jackman brings toughness and energy as well. Both will be there opening night.

Bouwmeester - Wideman
In my mind this pairing is almost guaranteed. Bouwmeester is our best defenseman and needs to find his offensive touch again. Wideman is our best offensive guy on the blueline. These 2 will play together both even strength and on the powerplay.

Giordano - Butler
Gio struggled when he was playing top pairing minutes. Hes better at the 20ish minute mark and Butler should give him a well rounded guy to play with. Butler played well last season but was out of his element on the first pairing. He should have a good year.

Brodie - Sarich
Brodie still has things to learn and Sarich is a solid guy in his own zone and a competitor. I like this pairing a lot actually. Brings both physicality and offensive movement.

Im pretty confident that the lineup will look very similar to this opening night. There wouldnt be any huge surprises, and there is no time to really play around with the lines.

#13 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

I am very concerned about the fact that Cervenka isn't available.

As everyone knows, C is the Flames weeakest position, and starting the year without one of the primary options could be devastating. Any injury to Cammy or Backlund or whatever and C becomes a serious clusterfrac.

Oh well.

Anxious to see what Hudler and Widema can bring to the lineup. I know people like to hack on Wideman's defensive play but you have to look at acquisitions with respect to team needs. And the Flames need an offensive d-man and they need a right-handed d-man.

If you look at playoff teams vs non-playoffs teams, almost invariably, playoff teams get at least 150 pts from the defense. In the last few years, the Flames have only been getting 120 - 130 pts from the D and that just isn't good enough. If used properly, Wideman could be a key addition. Time will tell.

#14 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,217 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

As everyone knows, C is the Flames weeakest position, and starting the year without one of the primary options could be devastating. Any injury to Cammy or Backlund or whatever and C becomes a serious clusterfrac.

Oh well.

Anxious to see what Hudler and Widema can bring to the lineup. I know people like to hack on Wideman's defensive play but you have to look at acquisitions with respect to team needs. And the Flames need an offensive d-man and they need a right-handed d-man.

If you look at playoff teams vs non-playoffs teams, almost invariably, playoff teams get at least 150 pts from the defense. In the last few years, the Flames have only been getting 120 - 130 pts from the D and that just isn't good enough. If used properly, Wideman could be a key addition. Time will tell.

For me, the acquisition of Wideman gave the Flames the D core they need to do battle. The only really knock for me on the d core is you would ideally like to add a little more physicality into the top 4 given that Jbow, Butler and Wideman are all not exactly the most physical dman, althought Wideman will do it. In terms of balance though between defence/offence, minutes played, speed/skating ability, I would suggest the Flames had a very good D core.

Not only was it going to be interesting to see what he could do, I agree completely what it does to the Flames center depth. This puts alot of pressure on Backlund IMO he has to at least take a step forwrad this season or the Flames are in big trouble IMO.Based on his stats in Sweden you certainly have more hope that he has gotten some of his confidence back.

#15 Flames22

Flames22

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

Really excited about Wideman and Hudler, but very concerened about Cervenka.

#16 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,217 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

Just heard Tanguay on the Fan 960 mention the coaching staff has talked to him about playing some center and did back in the summer. Perhaps it is he any not Cammy who would move over. Not a move I like but one that sounds like its on the table.

#17 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,410 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

Just heard Tanguay on the Fan 960 mention the coaching staff has talked to him about playing some center and did back in the summer. Perhaps it is he any not Cammy who would move over. Not a move I like but one that sounds like its on the table.

I think Tanguay is a stereotypical C. Decent defensively. Playmaker.

My understanding is he attempted it in the past without success though. Isn't comfortable there. I could be wrong though.

But if it works it could be a good thing for the Flames.

#18 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

I agree. He is a season removed from junior. A full year in the AHL to establish his consistency would be a good thing. When he is on his game he is good. But he really lacks consistency.

He will likely get some games as an injury call up. But I don't think he should be on the opening night roster unless he is dynamite in camp.

He played 61 NHL games for us last year. Trying to portray him as barely out of junior is insulting.

- He has done everything that the Flames have asked of him and more.
- He worked hard to put on weight and worked hard on his game and the results are showing in Abbotsford.
- He deserves and has earned the chance to compete for a spot in Calgary this training camp.

#19 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

I pretty much agree with your lines; the BBS line is skill and finesse. I think you may also see Aliu make the roster, as well as Street(for different reasons. Aliu adds grit and size, while Street is a potential scoring center if Matt has a bad start.

On D, I would expect to see Smith in as at least a 7D. I would like to see Breen brough up to see how he plays the NHL game.

For Goal, I would like to see them get Ramo over here this year to backup Kipper. That may not be possible considering his KHL situation, but if it is we need to get him here before we lose him.

I expect that Aliu is who Feaster was referring to when he commented in his interview that we need to address the grit and that some people may have to step up. He went on about maybe trying to trade or bring in some size/grit/toughness.

#20 ScottMacMahon

ScottMacMahon

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

Looks like his recovery is actually way ahead of what most thought, hopefully he will be available for the first game: http://flames.nhl.co...s.htm?id=649321