Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Pre-season Trades

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 Mattman456

Mattman456

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

With the season said to be starting in 8 days do you think Feaster will make any trades big or small? I personally think he will and should.
So who do you think he should trade?
Babchuck?
Jbo?
Irving??

#2 travel_dude

travel_dude

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

With the season said to be starting in 8 days do you think Feaster will make any trades big or small? I personally think he will and should.
Babchuck?
Jbo?
Irving??

A lot of the GM's still have work to do, line signing RFA's, evaluating rosters, signing UFA's, etc. I don't know that now is the best time to make trades. We have some new pieces to look at and some guys coming up from the AHL; maybe we should give them and the current roster a look before we start trading pieces away.

#3 Wreckening

Wreckening

GO TEAM REBUILD

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

The only thing I see in the way of trade or signing an FA is to get some toughness. Outside of that and guys getting healthy this roster is set for now.

#4 echoison

echoison

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:08 AM

Babchuck?
Jbo?
Irving??

So what are your thoughts?

personally, I agree with Wreckening.

#5 Canada15

Canada15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

Can't see any trades happening.. The only trade I wouldn't mind seeing is Babchuk. Not sure to who, and of course the return wouldn't be great. So in reality, its probably best to keep him as depth.

#6 TrippinVdUb

TrippinVdUb

KCCO!

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

Well I did trade my soul to get NHL hockey back... does this count as a preseason deal?

#7 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

I don't see that Arnott has signed anywhere. Big bodied 3rd line C as a stop gap??
Just throwing it out there, I know he's 37, but he was still solid in his role for St Loo last year. I like him as a short term stop gap while we figure out the C position. And he seems to have the aggression gene that we seem to be lacking a bit.
Also, he's good at the dot.
Just trying to be realistic!!

#8 ScottMacMahon

ScottMacMahon

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

I don't see that Arnott has signed anywhere. Big bodied 3rd line C as a stop gap??
Just throwing it out there, I know he's 37, but he was still solid in his role for St Loo last year. I like him as a short term stop gap while we figure out the C position. And he seems to have the aggression gene that we seem to be lacking a bit.
Also, he's good at the dot.
Just trying to be realistic!!

I dont mind this idea... Arn't we pretty close to 50 contracts tho? And we do have a number of centers (backs, stajan, cervenka, cammy, byron, horak, jones, etc..) , just not a number 1, or bigger ones really. So he does kinda fill the bigger, more aggressive center role.

#9 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

I dont mind this idea... Arn't we pretty close to 50 contracts tho? And we do have a number of centers (backs, stajan, cervenka, cammy, byron, horak, jones, etc..) , just not a number 1, or bigger ones really. So he does kinda fill the bigger, more aggressive center role.

I'm rubbing my chin at possible amnesty clause buyout.
I'm not a Matt Stajan hater, but I think it's time to call a spade a spade. Our playoff misses are during his time here. That isn't his fault alone, but at his current wage, he hasn't done enough, offensively, to help us win.
Secondary scoring is a requirement to contend for anything, and Matt has had simply no luck.
If I could replace him for a 7th rounder and a $2mil Arnott, I'd be all over it. Gotta try to evolve the C position, Arnott buys you a year with a different look, and a guy you can trade to a contender if you don't make the playoffs, heck, offer it in his contract!
A buyout's a bitter pill to swallow on Stajan though...

#10 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Babchuck?
Jbo?
Irving??

Well they have needs they have not addressed.
#1C
Faceoffs
Grit & size
Reasonably young

So to answer your question:
We don't have a huge amount of cap room so he has to be cheap and we don't have a lot of assests so we don't want to trade any good prospects or core players.
We need a #1Center who is great at faceoffs is young with some upside and is big. He should have some attitude and play with a bit of grit. if you can get him to also be both a playmaker and have some finish to his game even better. I suppose he is going to have to get along with Iggy.

Also we could use 1 more top 4 D. Someone who is a beast to anyone within 50m of him. You know the type, the one who flattens you with his glare before you reach the blueline.
:lol:

#11 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

I'm not a Matt Stajan hater, but I think it's time to call a spade a spade. Our playoff misses are during his time here. That isn't his fault alone, but at his current wage, he hasn't done enough, offensively, to help us win.
Secondary scoring is a requirement to contend for anything, and Matt has had simply no luck.
If I could replace him for a 7th rounder and a $2mil Arnott, I'd be all over it. Gotta try to evolve the C position, Arnott buys you a year with a different look, and a guy you can trade to a contender if you don't make the playoffs, heck, offer it in his contract!

Bitter pill to swallow is right. He & Babs(who we got in the Ian White trade) are the only remaining remnants of the Phaneuf trade. We let Hags get claimed off waivers, we let Jamal Mayers walk. Kostopolis from the white trade we let walk too.

#12 echoison

echoison

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

the buyouts cannot be used until after this season, correct?

#13 Zirakzigil

Zirakzigil

Hokay. So, heres da Earth.

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,170 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

the buyouts cannot be used until after this season, correct?

Correct. They are for the summer of 2013 and 2014.

#14 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Bitter pill to swallow is right. He & Babs(who we got in the Ian White trade) are the only remaining remnants of the Phaneuf trade. We let Hags get claimed off waivers, we let Jamal Mayers walk. Kostopolis from the white trade we let walk too.

Gaining a big money Phaneuf isn't a win either!! It's not like we gave up Weber!

No buyouts until after the season...*weep*
Not to say I won't be cheering on Stajan, I hope he can find some finish.

#15 ScottMacMahon

ScottMacMahon

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

I agree Stajan has been more then useless to us in his tenure here, however i DO believe that some of that has been due to the fact that he was poorly utilized by Butter. I have always thought that, and especially when he went on a bit of a hot streak when he started to get some first line minutes. Im really interested to see where and how he will fit into Bob Hartleys lineup, and am praying he can rediscover some of his previous offensive flair. That could really be a gamechanger for us. Not getting my hopes up too high though, more then likely that he'll just disappoint again... :mellow:

I doubt that we will pick up Arnott now that i think of it though, i do believe that Blair Jones plays his kind of role - big & tough, heart and soul type player who is good in the faceoff circle. Just wish more of our centers had some of those characteristics...

#16 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

I agree Stajan has been more then useless to us in his tenure here, however i DO believe that some of that has been due to the fact that he was poorly utilized by Butter. I have always thought that, and especially when he went on a bit of a hot streak when he started to get some first line minutes. Im really interested to see where and how he will fit into Bob Hartleys lineup, and am praying he can rediscover some of his previous offensive flair. That could really be a gamechanger for us. Not getting my hopes up too high though, more then likely that he'll just disappoint again... :mellow:

I doubt that we will pick up Arnott now that i think of it though, i do believe that Blair Jones plays his kind of role - big & tough, heart and soul type player who is good in the faceoff circle. Just wish more of our centers had some of those characteristics...

Yeah, Arnott is a whim, simply something that might be doable but would require a roster subtraction.
Jones is a periphery NHLer imo, won't get out of the 4th line.
My hopes are pinned on Backlund taking a step up into the top 6 and sticking. That would help out a lot.

#17 ScottMacMahon

ScottMacMahon

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Yeah, Arnott is a whim, simply something that might be doable but would require a roster subtraction.
Jones is a periphery NHLer imo, won't get out of the 4th line.
My hopes are pinned on Backlund taking a step up into the top 6 and sticking. That would help out a lot.

Agreed on the first point, however, I REALLY liked what I saw of Jones last year. I thought he was fantastic until he got injured. Yes, he won't ever be that much of a threat, but he fills a very important role, and does it well. The toughness he showed last year after blocking a shot in overtime that broke his ankle, and STILL getting up and trying to defend was truly commendable.

#18 Canada15

Canada15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

I am 'cautiously optimistic' (phrase of the year) for our skilled line up. I do not wish all of our centres were big, grit guys. As a Flames fan, that is something I have been accustomed to. Seeing this potential skill is refreshing. This is an undisputed new direction for this organization and I hope it pays off.
Look for Blair Jones to be a key role though. Energy minutes and PK will be on top of his list of duties. Jackman is versatile when we need a good energy shift, and so is a guy like Akim Alui. I'm concerned about our small team, but I don't feel its the end of the world.

And yes, Conundrumed, I also have high hopes for Backlund... His last chance to succeed in Calgary is this season. Pressure is on him. He wants to prove his worth and I feel he is capable.

#19 andymo

andymo

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:11 AM

I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see a trade or two. Feaster loves to get involved and we have a new coach with new ideas who Feaster trusts. I think we have too many defensemen on one way contracts and if Hartley doesn't fancy one he might well sound out potential suitors. I know Butler divided opinion, and if Feaster doesn't see what Sutter did he could be a potential candidate, maybe for a snarly forward.