SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Photo

Flames Hate

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 Invin

Invin

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

So I was over on TSN.ca reading Bob McKenzie's write up on the Flames for this year, and I noticed just about every reader comment (not the article itself) was ripping the team, management, saying the Flames have zero chance of making the playoffs, tear it down, etc. etc.

The funny part is, these people praise other teams' management and rosters despite the fact the Flames continue to finish well ahead of those teams in the standings. When we sign good free agents, develop young players (Baertschi especially), and Iggy and Kipper continue to put up good numbers, it just goes in one ear and out the other for these people. No matter what we do, they will always be convinced the Flames are old and hopeless and going nowhere, because that's largely been the narrative in the media.

Am I just biased, or do you guys notice a lot of people like this too? I'm not trying to start a "rebuild vs. no rebuild" thread, just asking if there's a bit of anti-Flames bias in general out there, where people twist reality to fit the narrative. It seems like people only approve of teams that are either tanking for picks or at the top, of which we are neither.

#2 Keyro

Keyro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Honestly I read those same comments and thought the exact same thing.

Toronto and Edmonton fans who applaud their own management's moves tear down the Flames. It's incredible how most commenters look over the facts that you stated above about kipper and iggy.

Toronto fans for god sake.

#3 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

A classic example of an oblivious comment is the 'old and slow' argument.

The Flames have gotten younger in each of the last three years and this year will be middle of the pack even if there are no surprise young guys making the team (other than Baertschi and Brodie).

By next year, the Flames will likely be among the youngest teams.

As for speed, look at the changes the Flames have made from the beginning of last year...

out:

Morrison
Jokinen
Moss
Kostopolous
Bourque
Hagman
Hannan

and added:

Cammalleri
Hudler
Cervenka
Comeau
Baertschi
Brodie
Wideman
Jones

not only have they gotten younger, but they are WAY faster

but why let facts get in the way of a good opinion

#4 Canada15

Canada15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

Great thread. I continue to think about that myself. I avoid looking at TSN comments because of it.

C_worthy, you are absolutely bang on. Look at that list of changes.

#5 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

Toronto and Vancouver. No one else in Canada matters, we're the whipping boys for now.
What a relief that opinions don't win hockey games and are generally wrong more often than not, regardless of source!!

#6 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Funny how people cling to what they perceive to be from times long past.

Edmonton used to be the young speedy and small team..... Not any more
Calgary used to be the Old, slow and big team...... Not any more

Posted Image

As you can see above the Oilers are taller. The Flames who just 2 years ago were pushing the 32yeears old avg have dropped substantially. In fact when we injected all the youth last year due to injuries the avg age dropped to around 29 yrs old.

We all saw the team speed increase we had last year, at least I hope you noticed it. We should be a tad faster again this year.

#7 FueltheFlames1075

FueltheFlames1075

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

You are definitely not alone. It is the easy and popular thing to do now to bash the Flames. Even Iggy aknowledged it last year I believe it was. I remember him saying something about how the players recognized that the Flames fans and the team were enduring alot of ridicule. Am I remembering this correctly?

#8 Invin

Invin

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Ah good, so I'm not (totally) biased/crazy!

I guess it's just easier for people to parrot what they heard the "experts" say in the past few years than to actually look at the changes.

#9 TrippinVdUb

TrippinVdUb

KCCO!

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

Ive been noticing this trend for sometime now, I think it has more to do with the rivalries between the Flames and the Oilers/Canucks then it does anything else. We have met both teams in the playoffs more they they have played each other, both city's have a strong hate on for us and quite frankly Im flattered and not about to give either fan base the joy of getting under my skin.

As far as Toronto goes, those haters are just trying to take some heat off of there own team and so they drag down anything thats not blue and white!

GO FLAMES GO!!!

#10 returnofthejets

returnofthejets

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

With not having read any of these comments your referring too, I wouldn't get to upset about them. I would believe that most NHL articles on TSN will probably be riddled with Leafs fans points of view. And in most general cases that type of fan has no knowledge outside of their own team that they follow. Any knowledge typically comes from what experience/memory they have following the team (Flames) during a playoff run when their team is out of it. It's been since 04 since the Flames have had any significant time in the post season so that's where most of the out dated knowledge is coming from.

What is more upsetting to me is that I must sit through long drawn out repetitive segments on the Leafs and Habs just to see quick tidbits about the Jets and Flames and the rest of the league.

#11 Wreckening

Wreckening

GO TEAM REBUILD

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

I pay little attn to the comment section of TSN articles. The moderators IMO are biased. Besides I follow Mackenzie, Dregger and LeBrun on twitter and get all the info I need that way. Very seldom will I go to the TSN website otherwise.
In regards to the comments themselves, everyone is entitled to an opinion even if its misinformed. That's what makes this game exciting for fans. Remember, you being upset over comments made about your favourite team only shows how much you care for that team.
This is why I prefer forums like this one. The debates with fans of other teams and the disagrrements

Between fans of the same team.

#12 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,153 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

The Flames are bucking the "popular" trend. Most "fans" see that I'd a team isn't successful than the best way to do so is rebuild and sell assets. The Flames have gone in their own direction nd thus bucked the trend and for the masses of so called "fans" and "experts" that's not right. Only way the Flames are going to get respect is to either win or rebuild, but respect doesn't win you games so it really doesn't matter.

#13 Mattman456

Mattman456

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

Very true! But something that I also noticed is that Cslgary doesn't get put out there. Sites like Nhl.com rarely put up stories about Calgary win or loss. Channels like Espn never put up highlights of Calgary games or even the scores. And even Dipietro and the Ilses get more love.

#14 ScottMacMahon

ScottMacMahon

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Ahhh thank god you all share the same opinion as me. I was worried for a bit there by looking at those comments that my hockey sense was way off and that i was just biased to thinking the flames were starting to put together a decent team. Good to know im not alone in thinking this! [MOD EDIT] the haters!

#15 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,142 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Changing the head coach changes a lot. We don't know what Hartley will do with what he has been given. He hasn't been given a whole lot but sometimes it's what the coach can make out of what he's got. There's enough on the team to get into the playoffs and there's enough to finish bottom 4 in the league.

It's hard to predict due to what we think is an entirely new system of play.

#16 Crzydrvr

Crzydrvr

Resident Draft Junkie

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

If you're not doing the same thing as everything else, you're f***ing insane and completely batnavajo fry bread stupid. Trust me, I recently went through 12 years of standard schooling, so I know how it works :P. And I'm used to it.

Do I feel bothered that fools think we're idiots? Not really. It'd be one thing if they could actually make an intelligent observation and back up their claims, but when it's just a parrot you might as well just let it squawk.

#17 oldschool17

oldschool17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

Nice OP and I often wonder and argue with my friends about the very same thing.

I just shrug and and when the media is shocked by how far we've come I will laugh. When they can't pronounce Cervenka or keep up to date with his injury accurately, never mind the 'old and slow' stigma is not only tired but way off mark especially with what I think we can expect under Hartley.

I have my worries just like everyone else but I estatic hockey will be played soon and was avoiding message boards because this lockout damn near put me into a depression already without recycling rumors, talking the 'key' issues to death and arguing which retarded side deserves what.
It's great to be back, I look forward to the season and discussing stuff with you guys, and can't wait to watch our boys make playoffs!

#18 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

It's great to be back, I look forward to the season and discussing stuff with you guys, and can't wait to watch our boys make playoffs!

Giving us the 'ol Feaster guarantee eh? ;)

#19 oldschool17

oldschool17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

Hahaha ya. I have decided to buy into the all or nothing mentality. I really wish I had some say or influence in it, however I think being an optimistic armchair GM is fun too!
Realistically possible.... 5th place finish.:-) Possible though probably not any higher than 7th.

Kool aid anyone;)

#20 happycat

happycat

Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Well all this hate literature are the byproduct of ignorant "haters". It's what the DO, otherwise they wouldn't be Haters. Just don't sink to their level. Flamers (yes I will use that term), are of higher caliber.