SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Photo

Adding Grit

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 dphilip79

dphilip79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

So it has been mentioned a few times since free agency opened that we need to add some grit. There was some speculation/mention that maybe we could trade babchuck to fill that spot. I was looking at some free agents who could maybe fill that spot. Two players that I think fit that spot are Brad Winchester and Matt Bradley. Either could be signed for under a million. I would prefer Winchester because of his size. What do you guys think? Any other options?

#2 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,835 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

So it has been mentioned a few times since free agency opened that we need to add some grit. There was some speculation/mention that maybe we could trade babchuck to fill that spot. I was looking at some free agents who could maybe fill that spot. Two players that I think fit that spot are Brad Winchester and Matt Bradley. Either could be signed for under a million. I would prefer Winchester because of his size. What do you guys think? Any other options?

Peter from Fan 960 says Brad Winchester is the most accomplished of UFA's who would fit the grit category we are looking for.

#3 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,179 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

Peter from Fan 960 says Brad Winchester is the most accomplished of UFA's who would fit the grit category we are looking for.

I really hope they don't go that direction. We need grit that we can spread across the line-up. We don't need a big 4-liner putting up 6-minutes per night.

#4 JTech780

JTech780

Resident Know it All

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

If we go the UFA path one guy I really like and was pushing for is Dominic Moore. He provides some grit and determination to the top 9, he is also decent in the face off circle. I like that he is a true 3rd line center that can play on the 2nd line in a pinch.

IMO Calgary needs grit in the top 9 not so much on the 4th line. I think the only way to get that is through a trade.

#5 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,157 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

I really hope they don't go that direction. We need grit that we can spread across the line-up. We don't need a big 4-liner putting up 6-minutes per night.

Agreed. We lack grit in top 9, not on the 4th line. We need the Tanguays, Hudlers, Cammalleris, Cervankas of the line-up to be "upgraded".

#6 Canada15

Canada15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

"Upgraded"? We haven't even seen what Hudler, Cervenka, or even Cammalleri (fresh start) are capable of in a Flames uniform. Don't write them off that fast. I do not remember a Flames top 9 having this much potential skill in some time. I HAVE seen a lot of grit forwards in Calgary's line up in the last several years, and year after year, we rely on Iginla to put pts on the board. I am sick of realizing we will only have remote offensive chances outside the first line.
Besides, Glencross is a good big body in the top 6. Stempniak doesn't shy away from the odd bump or two either.

#7 theonlyottoman

theonlyottoman

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

If we go the UFA path one guy I really like and was pushing for is Dominic Moore. He provides some grit and determination to the top 9, he is also decent in the face off circle. I like that he is a true 3rd line center that can play on the 2nd line in a pinch.

IMO Calgary needs grit in the top 9 not so much on the 4th line. I think the only way to get that is through a trade.

FYI, Dominic is having some family issues right now.
http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci_22334014/san-jose-sharks-dominic-moores-wife-dies?IADID=Search-www.mercurynews.com-www.mercurynews.com
I wish him all the best.

#8 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,835 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Do we really know what Feaster means when he says we could use a bit more grit?

Is he talking about the Prust type grit where you are tough to play against and ready to drop the gloves to defend your skill players?

Is he talking about the agitator type who jaws and trys to disrupt the opps?

Is he talking about the player who hates to lose and digs down deep to make game changing plays?

#9 JTech780

JTech780

Resident Know it All

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

FYI, Dominic is having some family issues right now.
http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci_22334014/san-jose-sharks-dominic-moores-wife-dies?IADID=Search-www.mercurynews.com-www.mercurynews.com
I wish him all the best.

Yes, I heard that he lost his wive, truly heartbreaking.

#10 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,957 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Do we really know what Feaster means when he says we could use a bit more grit?

Is he talking about the Prust type grit where you are tough to play against and ready to drop the gloves to defend your skill players?

Is he talking about the agitator type who jaws and trys to disrupt the opps?

Is he talking about the player who hates to lose and digs down deep to make game changing plays?

I like all 3 of these attributes in a player(s)...

I hope Feaster does too... :)

#11 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,157 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

"Upgraded"? We haven't even seen what Hudler, Cervenka, or even Cammalleri (fresh start) are capable of in a Flames uniform. Don't write them off that fast. I do not remember a Flames top 9 having this much potential skill in some time. I HAVE seen a lot of grit forwards in Calgary's line up in the last several years, and year after year, we rely on Iginla to put pts on the board. I am sick of realizing we will only have remote offensive chances outside the first line.
Besides, Glencross is a good big body in the top 6. Stempniak doesn't shy away from the odd bump or two either.

I meant "upgraded" in terms of grit, not offense or skill.

#12 Canada15

Canada15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

I meant "upgraded" in terms of grit, not offense or skill.

I get that. I find though it is very hard to find a big, skilled, grit, offensively gifted forward. Feaster is clearly in an all out skill search based on his signings and draft choices. Like you guys say, I think we could definitely use one more bigger player who is capable of 3rd line, maybe 2nd line play if needed. Other than that, I'm curious to see how this line up produces.

#13 Mattman456

Mattman456

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

I don't think we should sign anyone becuase it's just like getting a Tim Jackman 2.0. He was ok but not consistent. I say bring up Aliu. Young, can hit, and would love a 4th line role. Did every one forget that he scored 2 goals on his first game as a flame back in April??

#14 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,844 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

I don't think we should sign anyone becuase it's just like getting a Tim Jackman 2.0. He was ok but not consistent. I say bring up Aliu. Young, can hit, and would love a 4th line role. Did every one forget that he scored 2 goals on his first game as a flame back in April??

Those were the 2 biggest fluke goals of the NHL in 2012. Watch the highlights. Glad for him, but they weren't skill based.

#15 ScottMacMahon

ScottMacMahon

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Those were the 2 biggest fluke goals of the NHL in 2012. Watch the highlights. Glad for him, but they weren't skill based.

Agreed. I really don't understand why people are so high on Aliu... i mean, he hasn't even been playing in Abbotsford. He has been a healthy scratch almost all season long, I see absolutely no reason why he deserves a roster spot, especially if we are handing them out based on "merit".

#16 Tirosho24

Tirosho24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Agreed. I really don't understand why people are so high on Aliu... i mean, he hasn't even been playing in Abbotsford. He has been a healthy scratch almost all season long, I see absolutely no reason why he deserves a roster spot, especially if we are handing them out based on "merit".

He actually hasn't been a healthy scratch. He's had some recurring injuries holding him back from playing, but the games he has played I haven't been too impressed by him.

#17 echoison

echoison

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

I know most people dont like him, but Torres plays hard and can put up points as well. and if trading with Phoenx look at getting Gordon and thrown them Stajan and well not sure who else. Will prolly not work. It also does not make us younger ... but Torres = Grit forsure

#18 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,844 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

I know most people dont like him, but Torres plays hard and can put up points as well. and if trading with Phoenx look at getting Gordon and thrown them Stajan and well not sure who else. Will prolly not work. It also does not make us younger ... but Torres = Grit forsure

Torres = guaranteed suspension = wasted cap space

You are offering Torres as a suggestion, he will most likely be suspended as he is a multi-repeat offender, the suspension will give the roster a hole that will need to be filled by another grit player. It doesn't make sense. That and just NO.

Torres and Avery aren't exactly names you want associated with your franchise.

#19 BobbyB12

BobbyB12

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Got to remember Steve Bégin is still on a PTO He's older and I don't belive he is the answer to all the grit problems but he's a gritty player, If he does well in camp I wouldn't mind him in the line up, Most likely a 4th liner
Bégin Jones Jackman

#20 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,835 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

As much as I am really hoping Aliu works out, he has struggled a lot this season. Not sure why but he was slow out of the gate and not earning much ice time. I don't know if he was out of shape, or injured or just caught up in the "can only dress 5 vets" in AHL thing. I suspect more AHL seasoning is in order. Now that the Heat's roster will be purged of some players maybe he will be up for more ice time there.