Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Suggestion: Yes Kipper, Again

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,317 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Burkie fired for allegedly not willing to trade for Luongo... Nonis, from what it appears on the surface, brought in to get the job done. Leafs ownership's pressure on their GM to get a goaltender and start winning is bigger than ever. It's costing people their jobs. You've also got rumours floating about suggesting the Flyers are interested in Luongo to replace Bryzgalov. They are between a rock and a hard place because they are one stud goalie away from putting it all together. Are they prime for the taking?

"Why?" is what I must ask, is the Vancouver Canucks enjoying the speculation of young talent going their way? What if the Flames put Kiprusoff on the market? Secretly. Is Morgan Reilly available? Jake Gardiner? I mean since it costed Burke his job, you might think so. Is Sean Couturier a possibility from the Flyers?

On the notion that this season was suppose to have been locked out anyways and lost, why not just trade Kipper and start to build for 2013-14?

#2 PokernHockey

PokernHockey

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

It would go a long way towards ensuring we likely would get a top 5 pick.

#3 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

I think it is unfortunate. Go back a couple of seasons ago and the organization likely could have had Schenn+ for Iginla. But they chose to keep him. The Flames have missed the playoffs since.

Now the market is ripe to trade Kipper for a lofty return. But there is absolutely no way the organization trades him. They don't have a comfortable option for the back-up position let alone a player to replace Kipper.

Feaster just spent 15-million on long term free agents. He isn't going to throw away the season less then a week before it starts. Besides, if they trade Kipper then they have to trade Iginla. Because he isn't staying if we go that direction. And I think Feaster wants to extend him.

I guess he could trade for Luongo. Not only would that give us an alternative, it would also increase Kipper's value. But Lunongo isn't getting traded within the division and he probably wouldn't waive to come here anyway. Perhaps you could make a trade with Philly that involves Byrz coming back and Kipper going there. But that is a huge risk, would limit our return, and I think Philly will give him one more season to turn it around anyway.

It just won't happen unfortunately.

#4 JTech780

JTech780

Resident Know it All

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

If Calgary wants to tank and go for a top pick this is a good year as there is some good talent in the top end of the draft this year.

I just don't see Calgary trading Kipper. Especially since they are pushing hard for the playoffs this year.

#5 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,317 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

It would go a long way towards ensuring we likely would get a top 5 pick.

If Calgary wants to tank and go for a top pick this is a good year as there is some good talent in the top end of the draft this year.

I just don't see Calgary trading Kipper. Especially since they are pushing hard for the playoffs this year.

I think the new CBA has an equal weighted lottery for all non-playoff teams, right? Or if not equal weighted, at least every team who misses the playoffs has the chance to draft #1 overall.

Feaster just spent 15-million on long term free agents. He isn't going to throw away the season less then a week before it starts. Besides, if they trade Kipper then they have to trade Iginla. Because he isn't staying if we go that direction. And I think Feaster wants to extend him.

You make it sound like we haven't ever missed the playoffs with Iginla and Kiprusoff and you make it sound like we've never spent 15-million before.

Like you said, the time is ripe. Not sure when the trade deadline is this season but if there was ever a time to unload Iginla who is a pending UFA, this is it. I agree, if Iginla goes, then Kipper goes too. We almost lost Iginla for nothing had this season been completely lost. We now salvaged an opportunity to get something for him. Next season, who knows. Iginla might choose to play alongside Crosby and Malkin in Pittsburgh to get his ring. Sign there for cheap since he's got all the money he ever needs anyways. It's the ring he covets.

#6 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,971 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Next season, who knows. Iginla might choose to play alongside Crosby and Malkin in Pittsburgh to get his ring. Sign there for cheap since he's got all the money he ever needs anyways. It's the ring he covets.

When Millions asked Iginla if he wanted to sign and stay with Calgary, Iggy's voice during the answer certainly didn't sound as up beat as it did 3 years ago.

#7 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

I don't disagree that his value is high. But do you honestly think Feaster will trade him without an adequate replacement? New coach. New contracts. Constantly repeating he won't tear it down.

Who do they put in net? Sorry man. Should and will are not the same. And I seriously doubt Feaster trades Kipper. Would love to be wrong if the return was right. But I doubt it.

#8 Coolie

Coolie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

If only we had Ramo right now.

#9 mrjohnnycanuck

mrjohnnycanuck

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

trade him............thats the best option for Calgary :unsure:

#10 Mattman456

Mattman456

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

I think the new CBA has an equal weighted lottery for all non-playoff teams, right? Or if not equal weighted, at least every team who misses the playoffs has the chance to draft #1 overall.

You make it sound like we haven't ever missed the playoffs with Iginla and Kiprusoff and you make it sound like we've never spent 15-million before.

Like you said, the time is ripe. Not sure when the trade deadline is this season but if there was ever a time to unload Iginla who is a pending UFA, this is it. I agree, if Iginla goes, then Kipper goes too. We almost lost Iginla for nothing had this season been completely lost. We now salvaged an opportunity to get something for him. Next season, who knows. Iginla might choose to play alongside Crosby and Malkin in Pittsburgh to get his ring. Sign there for cheap since he's got all the money he ever needs anyways. It's the ring he covets.

You can trade kipper but you can't trade Iginla! He is a automatic Hall of Fame, he's gotten 2 Olyimpics golds, carried this team to the final and he's still here. He has also hinted that he wants to retire here. I say no to trading Iginla but that we should fully rebuild when he's gone.

#11 mrjohnnycanuck

mrjohnnycanuck

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

[quote name='Mattman456' timestamp='1357883717' post='596017']
You can trade kipper but you can't trade Iginla! He is a automatic Hall of Fame, he's gotten 2 Olyimpics golds, carried this team to the final and he's still here. He has also hinted that he wants to retire here. I say no to trading Iginla but that we should fully rebuild when he's gone.
[/quo

If your going to trade Kipper then why would'nt you get the max for Iggy?
:rolleyes:

#12 KidKappa

KidKappa

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

If you're trading Kipper and Iggy, why not go for the max and trade JBo, Gio, Glencross, Tanguay, and Cammy, the result in the standings will be the same, except we'll have way more assets. :blink:

#13 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,317 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

I don't disagree that his value is high. But do you honestly think Feaster will trade him without an adequate replacement?

Like i said, "build for 2013-14". There is time between now and then to get a replacement. Irving and Ramo might emerge as a viable option between now and then. Other goalies around the league may become available over time as well.

#14 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

Like i said, "build for 2013-14". There is time between now and then to get a replacement. Irving and Ramo might emerge as a viable option between now and then. Other goalies around the league may become available over time as well.

I agree with that mentality. But unless the Flames start the season off on a long losing streak I think we all know Feaster does not. If he did he would have made different decisions over the summer.

I can almost guarantee he sees the shortened season as a chance to make the playoffs.

#15 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

Feaster finally came to the realization that the team is not as uber as he thought. (Something like "while they are close but a world away" was his expression)

With the great season that Kipper had last season and Feaster & Co recognizing it, there might be the thinking we would be cellar dwellers or close without him.

Considering those two revelations then I mostly agree with kehatch when he said:

But do you honestly think Feaster will trade him without an adequate replacement?

However I feel Feaster is only waiting for Ramo and next year. Biding his time with Kipper for a few years until he is sure they have an adequate replacement. I remember one of the first things Feaster said when he was set up as GM is he believes in building from the backend forward.

Kipper and his play gives Feaster that luxury of some time.

#16 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

I remember one of the first things Feaster said when he was set up as GM is he believes in building from the backend forward.

Finding a goalie was one of his biggest issues in Tampa. His inability to retain Khabibulin is considered one of his biggest errors following the cup win there. He has been on record himself saying both. So I agree, Feaster is likely planning on building from the goalie out.

#17 Zirakzigil

Zirakzigil

Hokay. So, heres da Earth.

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

If the Flames were doing this then they should have not signed Wideman and Hudler. Ownership wont sign off on a blow up of the team and trading Kipper would amount to that.

#18 echoison

echoison

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

what really needs to happen is play Kipper less and pick one back up and play him more.

#19 jjgallow

jjgallow

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

Aside from departed philosophies on "rebuilding"...

I think you have to look not only at what we have to offer, but what we have to gain.

Is there a Crosby or a Gretzky out there in the next draft?

No. Nathan Mackinnon is shaping out to be a fine young prospect, but not the messiah some once thought he might be.

In general, I'm not really convinced that it's a good draft year at all.

I'd rather see us fight the good fight. I think that attitude is much more important for the long term success of an organization than people realize.

That being said...there will be One more chance this season to trade Kipper and Iggie at high value. That is, if we miss the playoffs. At such a time, I may take a difference stance.

#20 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,273 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

I think this who idea that trading Kipper = Flames are the worst team in the NHL is totally overblown. Look at the Keenan years, this team was a contender and was getting what I would call just better than average goaltending out of Kipper. That's no disrespect at all to Kipper it's just the reality the team was able to win and not rely on him to steal games night in and night out. Now was that team more talented than the current group I would argue yes, but what my point is if with proper coaching and a team actually playing like a team you minimize the need for top notch goaltending. The problem wtih Brent Sutter was two fold, not only could he not get the team to play like a team he is an inept coach at the NHL and but in a passive sit back system which IMO in the new NHL gives up more quality scoring chances than it should. So yes, if you take the Brent Sutter Calgary Flames and take out Kipper you have a lottery pick team, but with a better coach in Hartley i'm not as certain, Hartley's past has shown that above all else he gets a team to play as a team and when you have that your reliance on goaltending descreases and at that point you go from needing a goalie to steal you games to a goalie that can just keep you in games. Having said that, where I will agree is the Flames dont' have anyone available that can keep them in games. Irving may be that, but is very unproven and I think Karlsson has proven enough to show that he is not that guy either but if there is the potential to pick up even a stop gap and trade Kipper for a big return its something \i think the Flames would be stupid NOT to explore. I know they won't do it I get that, but I think its an option they need to look at and I don't think it ould lead them to the basement for the next few years like alot of people seem to. To win a cup you need strong goaltending for sure but this team is not a couple of years from a cup and you definetly do not need stong goaltending to be a playoff team.