Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

Photo

Idle No More

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,310 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Should China leave Tibet alone?? ...err, sorry wrong country. I mean should Canada give back the country to the aboriginals of this land?

The aboriginals are talking about land claims for mineral rights to go along with entitlement programs setup by Canada that grants them outright free money. But wait, those reserves where villages are built by Canadian tax payers aren't posh enough. So, move into the city right? While some have, many others don't want to work, join the rest of modern society, and enjoy "western lifestyle". Instead, they want to celebrate their culture for eternity in the reserves paid for by the rest of Canada.

I guess i just don't get it. Why should we Canadians give aboriginals free money? Why aren't aboriginals just considered Canadians and just join the rest of Canadian civilization? And how much free money is enough? They don't do that in China.

Enlighten me please?

#2 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,166 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

After reading the title I wondered if something had happened to Billy Idol or something....

Silly me !

#3 ifiwaschucknorris

ifiwaschucknorris

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

I am not native but I live in an area which is surrounded by native reserves. I see both the good and the bad. The conditions on the reserves are horrible. The houses are rundown, there is garbage everywhere, and there is large substance abuse problems. However it seems as if giving money away to the different bands is not the answer. If the government gave me enough money and subsidized housing to live on then what would be my incentive to work? Every day their are natives who drive brand new pickup trucks into town from the reserve just so they can hang out with there buddies in the park and get drunk all day because they have nothing else to do. There are definitely natives who are proud upstanding citizens of there communities and try to make a positive difference but there work is often overshadowed by the visible freeloading drunks.

The ridiculous thing is that this is all about the land that was taken hundreds of years ago and the maltreatment of 50-75 years ago. I was neither alive nor in charge of these programs and none of the current administration had anything to do with it. So why are we expected to blindly throw money at the bands? Maybe what we should do is give each native a scholarship for $10,000 for vocational tuition assistance and free substance abuse and victim counselling to help them rebuild their lives. You get this for three generations. Thats it. nothing else. No mineral, fishing, hunting rights. you don't have to live off the land any more like when those laws were made. Then they would be able to integrate with the rest of society and become Canadians. Keep your culture but you don't need government assistance for it. We have many german cultural traditions in my house and the government doesn't subsidize one of them.

By treating the natives differently than the rest of Canada we are feeding the stereotypes that exist and also the resentment of natives to other Canadians and vice versa. Just because a people experienced persecution in the past does not mean the descendants of the persecutors need to pay them tribute on an ongoing basis until the end of time. Spend the money on services to fix the problems. Reintegrate the natives with the rest of Canadians. THEN MOVE ON!

#4 happycat

happycat

Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Should China leave Tibet alone?? ...err, sorry wrong country. I mean should Canada give back the country to the aboriginals of this land?

The aboriginals are talking about land claims for mineral rights to go along with entitlement programs setup by Canada that grants them outright free money. But wait, those reserves where villages are built by Canadian tax payers aren't posh enough. So, move into the city right? While some have, many others don't want to work, join the rest of modern society, and enjoy "western lifestyle". Instead, they want to celebrate their culture for eternity in the reserves paid for by the rest of Canada.

I guess i just don't get it. Why should we Canadians give aboriginals free money? Why aren't aboriginals just considered Canadians and just join the rest of Canadian civilization? And how much free money is enough? They don't do that in China.

Enlighten me please?

>>> Perhaps it has something to do with the mass graves they dug up on Indian residence schools (note "residence" is not to be confused with reserves), or the fact that we built all over sacred burial lands over the years, (The power plant up in Edmonton and the "Holocaust" museum in Winnipeg are examples of this). And the aborginals DO want to be considered "Canadian", they regard the "Indian Act", a tool of colonialisms of Victorian era and want to scrap it. About land rights and C-45 or whatever the number is, grants the government privilidges to sell land without CONSULTATION. So what's preventing a company from xyz land from storing toxic waste and polluting waterways that human communities need? Somehow drinking toxic green goop is unhealthy. (Although I did fancy mutating into an Orcish Infantry man. Lol join the Canadian Forces as the first Cat-orc-human-Chinese-Manchurian-Han, Reservist. Have to cut a little hole in the pants to let the tail hang out.

Why should we give the aborginals free money? Same reason why Japan gives China free foreign aid. lol. (Meds, money, help with engineering)... Same reason why we're pouring foreign aid all over the world, to improve the evolution of humans. Come on now Peeps you Silly hoomon. I'm a CAT. and I know this. meeeeowww. (jk love you).

Like we're just coming out of a age of dictatorship and hardship all over the world. Most Chinese are finding their voice and really not scared anymore of Uncle Mao, (this happens when people lose everything), you have Tibetans immolating, and the economic situation of the Aborginals (high suicide rates among young men, some happened even AFTER the olympic games). Changes are being made, more people are going to school, and getting job skills, especially aborginals. Mexico's Democracy babies (the first generation to come out of a very very DARK age of ignorance and corruption, and dictatorship), and somewhat stability in Africa (Compared to when they were pawns of the Cold War fighting bush wars), and even eventual democracizing of Vietnam (via the way of Burma). The world is changing. It's very encouraging say in Hong kong, for minmum wages, and more help for handicapps, and universal education for villagers in Kowloon (a collection of loosely connected villages). The evil Slytheren Death Eaters (Voldemorts Henchmen), are shrinking back into the toliet where they belong.

And the PEACEFUL protest of idle no more, is really awakening the aborginals. Canada may be one of the better human countries out there. But we're Humans, we're a race of murderous thugs since Cain bonked Seth's head with a rock.. And the world is still very very very thirsty for human blood. Will the 21 century be a door for you silly hoomons to get your act together, and use your brains for good (aka worshiping us Cats as your superior), or will you stupidly do as Fallout 3 says, and nuke each other and revert to being Trogodyte savages like you fools ALWAYS do and start blaming each other for your own savage mistakes. China just can't forgive Japan. Every TV show I watched night after night in China, same "S" over and over again. Japanese invasion this Japanese invasion that, Japsnese soldiers stabbing pregnant Chinese moms with bayonettes this, Nanjing THAT. Nazi This, Anne Frank that. When Germany and Japan are human rights valuing liberal democracies now. Perhaps THIS is the reason why aborginals don't want to forgive so called Canadian "Japanese" apologies.

Put it this way, Aborginals have as much grieviances, as the Chinese do with Japan, as the Jews do with Germans. And if it's acceptable for Chinese to keep on blaming Japan and make silly video games (Shanghai Dragon), where you're a playboy in a white tux, shooting up Japanese invaders who scream like little girls and their offices get shot in the the butt and hop around the screen in a clumsy way, when you shoot him), and Tarentino makes Nazi Grindhouse movies of "That's a Bingo" Colonel Landa getting Swastikas craved into his forehead (Inglorious Bastrds). If this is ok for SOME genocide and human rights victims to be potically correct. Then it's absolutely ok for the Aborginals, Arminians, Tibetans, Palistinans, Roma (Gypsies, whom Italians enjoy burning down their tents, despite Romas being fellow CATHOLICS), Irish, Chinese, Siberians, Inuits (Greenland), Rapa Nuians, Haiwaiians, Balinese, West Timorese, West Paupuians, Karens, Chechenyians, Balochstanis, Waziristanis, Kurds, Shibitos, Ainus, Manchurians, Inner Mongolians, Ughristanis, Mosquitoes (Not to be confused with the insect), Azawalkdians, Darfurs, etc etc etc. From having their grievances aired.

Why is it ok China to complain and hold grudges agsinst Japan, and not ok for Aborginals to likewise express their pains with protest? Why is it ok for Jews to build holocaust museums in countries not even involved in the German's Holocaust. (in WINNIPEG of all places? on aborginal archelogical land too!, a human rights museum, Ironic isn't it? step on the rights and culture of one people to satisfy the grievances of another people). Why is the Jewish holocaust, any different from the Arminian one? or the Japanese slaughter of Hong Kongers (white, Chinese, Indians, CANADIAN soldiers, etc). So if Jews and Chinese have the right to complain about "old" grieviances, then certainly the Aborginals do as well, as do everyone else who have been bleeped over by fellow humans.

I'm glad to see the Vietnamese slowly grow. Vietnam is one of the more safter SE Asian countries, that hasn't fought a war in 60 years, and developed internally (despite being invaded by four different nations in the past 100 years. :France, China, Ameirca, Japan), They sort of grew up accept foreign aid, and use that do do what it was intended develop. America and Vietnam have very friendly relationships now, even more impressive is Vietnam convinced BURMA to slowly adopt democracy (elections), and Burma is slowly growing up too, for example really keenly experimenting with tentative elections (Aunty Aung San Suy Ky who was imprisoned since 1990 under house arrest, is an MP again), PEACE TALKS with warring rebel groups (some successful some not, who fun their war by supplying East Hastings Street with smack (heroine, ummm see "Tropic Thunder" apprently the little drug dealing boy was based on a real person (a child soldier, since returned to his family thank god). So as IamChuckNoris mentions, some countries, some people do take this aid and improve themselves and improve their environments. Vietnam is growing, and I won't be surprised in 50 years if Vietnam's growth propells them to Costa Rican living standards (yet another 2nd world developing country that slowly takes it's aid, and GDP and try to do the right thing, self develop). Don't blame the English (Burma), or Americans (Vietnam), and slowly elevate their people to a higher standard of living.

Many natives do this. They go to college on scholarships, get jobs, and try to improve their interior worlds. And again many Chinese are fed up with the Pig like Reds and god help the Reds once the Chinese get their hands on them. The disintergration of China will be a very very ugly thing, but it'll be for the better. This way, no more anti Japanese propaganda, no more blame Laowai for AIDS, (pssst it's really the smack needles and migrant workers seeking unsafe secks (like I go into a hotel, and oh look flyers for Chinese girls, slip uner the door ever 15 minuets), but yup.. yup. It's the perverted Laowai (whites), and their adulterizing ways), nope it's not the needles that be found discarded in the streets... It's the Japanese soldiers... (although they were defeated 70 years ago, and all killed themselves in shame, or so the TV shows say night after night). But is this a sample of ALL Chinese? What of the Chinese Canadians who do well here in Canada, America, and elsewhere in the Chinese Disporia? So again Chucknorris is right. It's relevant to the individual who puts in the effort.

I'm curious, were there ever cases of Aborginal leadership and corruption? There must be some cases where the leadership, as is uncommonly common with human leaderships, a element of corruption and or ineffectivness. One thing that is crippling human potential are bonehead political decision. Being the Children of Kline, us richy Albertans were no exception. (Hence the popularity of Wild Rose Party, which as humans will likely bungle things up). Like did we honestly think Obama can magically wave a wand and change everything? or George Washington can transform America into a magical land of young youth and eternal Shangralia, or Mao? Or dare I say it Isa? or that by watcing Star Trek, we would magically turn into a space faring utopia? Or hell playing Sim City... and the city mysteriously turns to a crime ridden hell hole? despite all the freeways libraries stadiums, tax cuts? Hong Kong, a magical city of capitalist paradise, where everyone is a millionaire, Mei Kou (America, or the Beautiful Country), or even us Canadians the better country and our smug Canadianess. (ps our beer is better lol), if our country is really a better country (and it is. I come back to Canada, and I'm all in naieve childlike mode again,giggling like a school girl when little children say "hello" to me a "STRANGER DANGER".... Why do we have Drumheller prison? Bowden prison? ;) So SOMETHING must be screwing up our human world? let's try to fix it. Whatever it is. So that we evolve to this Star Trek vision (a militant police state of giant fleets of spaceships), that former LAPD officer Gene Roddenberry (creator of Star Trek) had envisioned for us. This way. We can all live on magical planets, the Japanese can live on Nippon World near the sun (just beyond life sustaining too close and they burn up), the Chinese can have a magical planet in the center of the Galaxy because they love being the center of attention, The Americans can live on a planet of Eagles, the English can rule their Britannia.... and us Cats can live on a planet that has Egyptian themes, called Isis, where all the trees are catnip, and no dogs allowed. And Canadians can live on a snow planet like Hoth like on Star Wars, where we can ski, play hockey, and make snow angels, and snow men, and ride crazy carpets alll day. And the Aborginals can live on planets that vibrate on a higher plane of existance...

See everyone is happy.

Silly humans, why can't you be more like Cats? eat fish all day, sleep and look cute?

#5 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,310 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

If the government gave me enough money and subsidized housing to live on then what would be my incentive to work?

Exactly. I'm all for some levels of left wing politics but what we do for the aboriginals is too extreme. Sometimes, less is more. In this case, we should give them LESS free money.

Put it this way, Aborginals have as much grieviances, as the Chinese do with Japan, as the Jews do with Germans. And if it's acceptable for Chinese to keep on blaming Japan and make silly video games

No it's not the same as China and Japan. Canada still occupies the land of the aboriginal peoples.

#6 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

It would take quite some time to get your head around it.
The confusing part is what is the negotiation? Or should I say demands, because it appears that is what they are.
I know the government tries to make the reserves self-sufficient themselves, but I think it's only running at about 20% success.
Programs are in place, housing, land, schooling, health care, money...
I think, in my mind, and I might be wrong, they want money and rights and this and that or the other, but we aren't allowed to send any investigative groups in to audit the situation. So I believe what is happening is there are many so-called Chiefs simply elevating their status and lifestyle, and that of their friends and family. While their reserve populations lack any leadership in the sense of what the programs and assistance is meant to represent.
Sadly, when the tough questions arise, it's easily misled into everything being the govts fault.
So there are more social stigmas on reserves than we've seen in a couple of hundred years.
FAS babies become FAS adults that fill our prisons, work ethic is painful, and starts early.
You really can't punish an aboriginal child, so when it becomes a choice between attending school at 10 or play hockey all day in the school parking lot, I know what I'd do.
Some reserves are downright lawless. The depth of social problems is only going to lead to further despair.
The culture HAS to save itself by the education of it's peoples, and we support that fully.
But they have to step out of the dark ages of uneducated alcoholic youngsters filling their world with parentless/problem-filled-parent children. The cycle will in fact inevitably kill the culture.
That's the growing population...
You don't leave a lot of reserves, you escape them.
It's probably fair, at this point, to think we didn't cause it, we didn't pay for you to run a refugee camp, and we aren't welcomed to come in with guidance and audit.

#7 Timhunter54

Timhunter54

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

Ok im native and i support idle no more 100%!!!!! First of all lethbridge is the most racist city in canada to live for natives.The people you see driving new trucks and drinking in the park all day is a very small percent in our population,every race has people that are alchoholics!!!!! Why is it as a native people we are judged and looked down upon? because we are not white???? you know i worked in lethbridge for many years back in my younger days doing labour and construction jobs before i started my own business and the white people i worked with some were very good people but most were back stabbing two faced individuals that had no sense of respect for there own kind.You know a guy from the united nations asked canada do you have a bill of sale to prove you bought canada?They couldnt say a damn thing!!!! you know there are auditors that come to my reserve once a year from the goverment and there is misuse of money on reserves just like in ottawa and everywhere else in canada.Yes there are alot of of native people in prisons across canada but you tell me if natives are responsible for kidnaping little kids,being serial killers??? those are inbreed whites!!!!!!!

#8 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,097 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

those are inbreed [sic] whites

Obviously the irony of making a racist statement while complaining of racism is lost on you... :lol:

#9 Flyerfan52

Flyerfan52

Elder Statesman

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,198 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

Ok im native and i support idle no more 100%!!!!! First of all lethbridge is the most racist city in canada to live for natives.The people you see driving new trucks and drinking in the park all day is a very small percent in our population,every race has people that are alchoholics!!!!! Why is it as a native people we are judged and looked down upon? because we are not white???? you know i worked in lethbridge for many years back in my younger days doing labour and construction jobs before i started my own business and the white people i worked with some were very good people but most were back stabbing two faced individuals that had no sense of respect for there own kind.You know a guy from the united nations asked canada do you have a bill of sale to prove you bought canada?They couldnt say a damn thing!!!! you know there are auditors that come to my reserve once a year from the goverment and there is misuse of money on reserves just like in ottawa and everywhere else in canada.Yes there are alot of of native people in prisons across canada but you tell me if natives are responsible for kidnaping little kids,being serial killers??? those are inbreed whites!!!!!!!

Both sides stretch the truth to the degree it is mangled beyond repair. There is a reserve (Roseau River) near where I grew up. When I moved to Wpg. in my 20s I met many natives/FN that informed me that was the worst reserve in Mb.
The majority of the reserve system does seem to have a corrupt leadership to some degree with the chief, his family & supporters receiving the majority of the funding while often owning any revenue producing sources while living off the reservation themselves.
The former chief of Roseau (Terry Nelson) is the 1 you might have read about heading to that bastion of human rights (Iran) to ask them to condemn Canada's record.
As to kidnapping/killing children there's a case from the mid '80s where a 15 year old (from Roseau) took a 2 year old child on her way down the hall from her mother's to her grandmother's place, raped her & then smashed her head with a brick. I knew a lot of police in the day & unfortunately they shared a lot more information then I'd have preferred.
Think on the stock answer when a FN child dies in the care of a parent. On Yellow Quill Reserve a father left his 1 & 3 year old toddlers outside in -50 degree weather clad only in a t-shirt & diaper as he stumbled to a neighbor's looking for more drinks. The answer is always more money. Money wouldn't have the girls alive but the father might have passed out sooner before he had the brainstorm that a brisk stroll to find him more alcohol was a fine idea.
Of course there's the politically correct idea that FN children should only be raised by the tribe they were born into even if it means taking them from a loving home & placing them with a biological "parent" for the extra welfare money. I have cousins that are native but they benefit from 2 families & cultures.
For more on the biological "parent" see Phoenix Sinclair. That is a madhouse of CFS, political correctness, etc. that saw a 5 year old beaten, tortured & murdered by her "mother" & the mother's common law hubby. The body was then hidden in the dump as they continued to collect the baby bonus & extra welfare. Lots of blame to go around there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are good & bad among all races & giving undue credit to 1 is as bad as shifting all blame to the other.

#10 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,097 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

every race has people that are alchoholics [sic]

This is very true... The town of Whiteclay Nebraska might even hold the record per capita...

The town has just one central road, a grocery, a couple of abandoned buildings and four liquor stores... There are three houses with a total population of eleven people...

Yet they sold 4.9 million cans of beer in 2010... That's amazing...

#11 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,310 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

You know a guy from the united nations asked canada do you have a bill of sale to prove you bought canada?They couldnt say a damn thing!!!!

That's probably China who asked because Canada always goes to the UN to ask China about Tibet...

But seriously though. It's call "war". People get conquered and stuff. Borders get redrawn. It's what happens. Canada's inability to encourage voluntary assimulation of their conquered victims leaves a black eye on a country that sells itself as a human rights leader on the world stage.

Ok im native and i support idle no more 100%!!!!! First of all...

See, this is what i don't get. What is the purpose of Idle No More? What's the ultimate solution aboriginals are seeking?

#12 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

I am more than open to discuss things.
But, like govt talks, this is likely where it ends...
I'm all ears...

#13 Carty

Carty

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,097 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

See, this is what i don't get. What is the purpose of Idle No More? What's the ultimate solution aboriginals are seeking?

Pretty simple actually... one way or another it boils down to more money, as always...

Media reports aside, my own personal observations over several years of being involved as an oil patch engineer and being involved in operations on both reserves and settlements include some things that I could not help being either amused, or more often distressed by...

In many instances, the chiefs have padded their own bank accounts with money given to them from either the Federal Government or oil companies... The trend also seemed to be for them to also assure that their families and friends also shared at the trough... It often seems typical that rather than sharing or spreading enough of the income in order to benefit the majority, or even in some instances to make any effort to help their own people that were obviously in dire need...

On several occasions the oil company agreed to supply a number of jobs to people from the reserve or settlement... The majority of these new employees quit after one or two days stating that the work was too hard, but some stayed on, demonstrated ambition and became part of the team... Some stayed for years as they worked their way up the ladder, and some of them became friends over time...

Looking back, I can not think of one instance over time when those that stayed and I got to know better did not voice appreciation for the opportunity... A good number of them also voiced concern of the corruption of their own leaders that they had witnessed and been subject to over the course of their lives... I would often ask if they could not vote to replace their leadership with people that were more honest and concerned about helping the majority... The usual answer was along the lines of "Sure, but it is just like any other politician anywhere else that say one thing before they get voted in and then do not keep their promises"... Point made, I quit asking... I also remember being told that the easiest way to see who was voted in as a chief and who their relatives were was to watch when driving by who's yards were full of new cars, trucks and toys like quads and snowmobiles within a few months of election time...

I have always thought that more accountability which also includes transparency is necessary for any government to properly function, and the leadership of the self declared first nations is no different... Most of the billions of dollars that have been given to them has either been misappropriated or misused...

Recently, since the idle now more movement started, I had a visit from one of the friends that I made in the oil patch and have known for close to 20 years, he is a "card carrying full blooded Indian" as he puts it, and he is proud to live away from the reserve and pay his taxes like any other Canadian...

I asked him for his opinion on what he saw as the biggest problems and he thought the situation could be resolved... He summed it up in such way that I would find difficult to argue... "Time, evolution and money will decide the fate of the people for themselves, it could be either the solution, or part of the problem"... I responded "Please explain what you mean"... With a sad and serious face he then said "Over time, evolution will go one of two ways, either they will learn to help themselves or the will slowly kill themselves with either alcohol, illegal drugs, prescription drugs, cigarettes, poor eating habits or just being lazy"... He followed with "Then there is money, and it can be used for either good or bad, and the minority of the people always get the majority of the money..." As he and I have known each other long enough, I tried to lighten the mood with humor and I said "So are you saying that there are too many chiefs and not enough Indians?" as this was something I remember he had said to me about the first drilling rig he had ever worked on... He said "No, there are too many Indians and not enough chiefs... Because THAT"S who gets the money" as he burst into laughter...

#14 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Both sides stretch the truth to the degree it is mangled beyond repair. There is a reserve (Roseau River) near where I grew up. When I moved to Wpg. in my 20s I met many natives/FN that informed me that was the worst reserve in Mb.
The majority of the reserve system does seem to have a corrupt leadership to some degree with the chief, his family & supporters receiving the majority of the funding while often owning any revenue producing sources while living off the reservation themselves.
The former chief of Roseau (Terry Nelson) is the 1 you might have read about heading to that bastion of human rights (Iran) to ask them to condemn Canada's record.
As to kidnapping/killing children there's a case from the mid '80s where a 15 year old (from Roseau) took a 2 year old child on her way down the hall from her mother's to her grandmother's place, raped her & then smashed her head with a brick. I knew a lot of police in the day & unfortunately they shared a lot more information then I'd have preferred.
Think on the stock answer when a FN child dies in the care of a parent. On Yellow Quill Reserve a father left his 1 & 3 year old toddlers outside in -50 degree weather clad only in a t-shirt & diaper as he stumbled to a neighbor's looking for more drinks. The answer is always more money. Money wouldn't have the girls alive but the father might have passed out sooner before he had the brainstorm that a brisk stroll to find him more alcohol was a fine idea.
Of course there's the politically correct idea that FN children should only be raised by the tribe they were born into even if it means taking them from a loving home & placing them with a biological "parent" for the extra welfare money. I have cousins that are native but they benefit from 2 families & cultures.
For more on the biological "parent" see Phoenix Sinclair. That is a madhouse of CFS, political correctness, etc. that saw a 5 year old beaten, tortured & murdered by her "mother" & the mother's common law hubby. The body was then hidden in the dump as they continued to collect the baby bonus & extra welfare. Lots of blame to go around there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are good & bad among all races & giving undue credit to 1 is as bad as shifting all blame to the other.

Thanks for the credence, it's Alberta too, and Ontario too, that I can speak to of similar consequence.
Alas, the cry of concern falls upon the belligerence that evades their peoples, kept in isolated ignorance by their leaders living like rock stars, wherever they go...

#15 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,310 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

Pretty simple actually... one way or another it boils down to more money, as always...

Yes but allow me to explain my confusion.

1. The worse these reserves get, the more money they get. What's the incentive to improve these reserves after they get more money?

2. Surely, these Natives know if the government of Canada gives them more money, then its all going to go to the Chiefs. Moreover, it is self-serving for these Chiefs to keep these reserves running in the poorest conditions possible.

3. So why are the Chiefs and Natives working together in Idle No More when the Chiefs are working against their own people? The money will just end up in the Chief's pockets.

4. Why would these Chiefs, who are benefiting so much from corruption, bring so much heat onto themselves with Idle No More? Why not stay low profile?

Once the dust settles and we see where the money ended up, then we will see the ultimate plan behind the protests. But until then, it's very difficult to guess who's agendas are being pushed forward and why. Maybe i'm too much of a conspiracy critic but i just don't see a point to Idle No More. It doesn't achieve what it appears to represent on the surface.

#16 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

There is the odd native Chief that deserves commendation for being straight-forward:

http://trustssaints....renceLouie.html

#17 Anie8706

Anie8706

The Resident Troll

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

There is the odd native Chief that deserves commendation for being straight-forward:

http://trustssaints....renceLouie.html

I love his attitude a lot, you have to think and work hard to get good things coming your way in your life.

I felt like I should have written something but there really is a barrier between both sides that just don't understand where they're coming from. They haven't walked in my moccasins and I haven't walked in your shoes type of thing.

I been through a very abusive life living on a reservation, to me it was just the way of life.... you guys lived a lot more sheltered than I ever did. But I made my choice to leave and with that, I feel.... like I lost my family and friends cause of my choice. I don't want to hang out with that crowd cause I thought my life should be different. Also I'm an aboriginal female, statistically I have the worst odds ever but I'm beating those odds cause I'm not going to be a victim or play victim anymore.

#18 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

I love his attitude a lot, you have to think and work hard to get good things coming your way in your life.

I felt like I should have written something but there really is a barrier between both sides that just don't understand where they're coming from. They haven't walked in my moccasins and I haven't walked in your shoes type of thing.

I been through a very abusive life living on a reservation, to me it was just the way of life.... you guys lived a lot more sheltered than I ever did. But I made my choice to leave and with that, I feel.... like I lost my family and friends cause of my choice. I don't want to hang out with that crowd cause I thought my life should be different. Also I'm an aboriginal female, statistically I have the worst odds ever but I'm beating those odds cause I'm not going to be a victim or play victim anymore.

Honestly, it's you I've been waiting to hear from. I know you're right, I've never walked a mile in your moccasins.
I grew up on the low income side in a bit of a scrappers neighbourhood. Stability was always there. Dad worked, mom part time, 3 boys, 2 girls. I never in my childhood felt unsafe.
There it is, now that we've met, where are the barriers? Why do they exist between us?

#19 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,310 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

Honestly, it's you I've been waiting to hear from.

Yea same, i've been waiting to hear from Anie.

Her comments only add to my confusion though. Idle No More is not the solution to the current aboriginal struggles, so, why does Idle No More exist?

#20 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

Yea same, i've been waiting to hear from Anie.

Her comments only add to my confusion though. Idle No More is not the solution to the current aboriginal struggles, so, why does Idle No More exist?

Because of a feeling of hopelessness.
Anie put it well. Leaving the reserve comes at the dear cost of the support that molded you.
Conditions on many reserves don't exist much in our world.
It's a question of how will you let us help you...the current formula is dead and decaying.
Few have prospered and many are suffering.
What is Idle No More?
It's hopelessness. Why else does it encompass the nation?
We have guilt and they have sorrow, the 200 years of formula HAS to change.
It SHOULD be the biggest political issue in this country.
Idle No More is what is. As a nation, I'd be proud if we moved forward together and end the reservation nonsense.