SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Photo

2013 Training Camp

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,179 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

Invites:

Forward
  • Backlund
  • Baertschi
  • Begin
  • Byron
  • Cammalleri
  • Cervenka
  • Comeau
  • Glencross
  • Horak
  • Hudler
  • Iginla
  • Jackman
  • Jones
  • Stajan
  • Stempniak
  • Street
  • Tanguay
  • Winchester
Defense
  • Babchuk
  • Bouwmeester
  • Breen
  • Brodie
  • Butler
  • Carson
  • Giordano
  • McCarthy
  • Sarich
  • Smith
  • Wideman
Goalie
  • Karlsson
  • Kiprusoff
  • Irving

Schedule

Jan 13 - 12:00 - Practice
Jan 14 - 10:30 - Practice / Scrimmage
Jan 15 - 10:30 - Practice
Jan 16 - 10:30 - Practice / Scrimmage
Jan 17 - 10:30 - Practice
Jan 18 - 10:30 - Practice
Jan 19 - 11:00 - Practice

Lines for January 14

Glencross-Tanguay-Comeau
Baertschi-Backlund-Cammalleri
Hudler-Stajan-Stempniak
Horak-Jones-Jackman
Begin-Winchester-Byron/Street

Giordano-Bouwmeester
Butler-Wideman
Smith-Sarich
Brodie-Carson
Breen- McCarthy

Missing from practice: Iginla (Groin), Babchuk (?????), Cervenka (Clot)

#2 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

For those wondering about our invitee to training camp:

Posted Image

He is Big. Really Big ! He may turn out to be the grit that Feaster mentioned he wanted to add to the team.

He has been playing in Finland from the looks of things.

#3 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,179 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

A few items of interest:

• Iginla has a groin injury. Precautionary. Similar to last year.
  • Tanguay is currently centre and Glencross LW on the 1-line. I assume Comeau if filling in until Iginla is good to go.
  • Media speculation is the Babchuk is hurt. Shoulder.
  • Bouwmeester and Giordano are currently the top pairing with Butler with Wideman on the second.
  • Brodie is currently sitting outside the top 6D
  • Horak is currently on the 4-line

Obviously all of this is subject to change as this is day 1. But interesting none the less.

So far I am not a fan of the D-pairings at all. I think Butler-Wideman will get crushed. The forwards look interesting. I like the 2 and 3 lines. But I don't like Glencross on the top line. It will also be interesting to see where Comeau slots in when Iginla is back.

#4 Pyromancer

Pyromancer

Flames Currently On A 3 Month Undefeated Streak

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Expanding Slightly On Brad Winchester's CV:

BRAD WINCHESTER

Posted Image

#5 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

i dont mind inviting Winchester to camp but I don't expect him to make the team. Flames don't need a player like him on their 4th line they've got that and Winchester is nothing more than a 12th/13th forward but worth a shot.

I also don't like the D pairings that idea of Butler and Wideman playing together scares me a great deal I think Butler needs to play with either Gio or Jbo but we'll see how that goes.

#6 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

I imagine the defensive pairings will get some heavy shuffling through camp. The top 4 should remain pretty much the same but a lot of juggling with the others.

Roger Millions seems to think otherwise:
Posted Image

I expect Brodie to be banging on the door for top 4-5 spot this season. I hope so as he has played fairly well this year.

#7 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,179 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

I imagine the defensive pairings will get some heavy shuffling through camp. The top 4 should remain pretty much the same but a lot of juggling with the others.

Roger Millions seems to think otherwise:
Posted Image

I expect Brodie to be banging on the door for top 4-5 spot this season. I hope so as he has played fairly well this year.

Agreed. I actually like Giordano-Bouwmeester. But I think Brodie/Butler/Wideman will be exposed in the top 4 without either Gio or Bouw as their D partner to help carry the weight.

#8 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,157 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

We need to put Bouwmeester on the Left side so he can't play with Giordano. Keep Giordano on the left side as well. I actually think Giordano - Sarich combination has been solid in the past. If Sarich can keep up to speed, then we should go with that.

Bouwmeester - Wideman
Giordano - Sarich
Whoever - Whoever
x: Whoever

#9 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

We need to put Bouwmeester on the Left side so he can't play with Giordano. Keep Giordano on the left side as well. I actually think Giordano - Sarich combination has been solid in the past. If Sarich can keep up to speed, then we should go with that.

Bouwmeester - Wideman
Giordano - Sarich
Whoever - Whoever
x: Whoever

That "whoever" will likely wind up being Brodie - Butler and that's a pairing that worries me... Brodie needs that more veteran guy beside him and I thnk he and Sarich worked great last year and I also don't like the idea of requiring 18mins plus out of Sarich.

I'd tinker with this,

Bouwmeester - Wideman/Butler
Giordano - Wideman/Butler
Brodie - Sarich

you have some flexability if Wideman doesn't click with someone but i think the idea of Giordano - Wideman more than another other pairing for Wideman.

#10 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,157 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

That "whoever" will likely wind up being Brodie - Butler and that's a pairing that worries me... Brodie needs that more veteran guy beside him and I thnk he and Sarich worked great last year and I also don't like the idea of requiring 18mins plus out of Sarich.

I'd tinker with this,

Bouwmeester - Wideman/Butler
Giordano - Wideman/Butler
Brodie - Sarich

you have some flexability if Wideman doesn't click with someone but i think the idea of Giordano - Wideman more than another other pairing for Wideman.

As much as I agree Sarich should play less than 18 minutes game, i also think Butler should stick to the 3/4/5 role. I really don't like Butler as a top pair Dman.

#11 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,179 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

I am hoping Brodie can slot in as the 4th D this season. He has been playing a tonne of minutes in Abby and has looked really really solid.

Regardless, Bouwmeester, Giordano, and Wideman are our 1-2-3 D and they all eat big minutes. There aren't going to be that many minutes left for the other 3 regardless of who they are paired with.

I also have to agree with Cross, Butler-Brodie isn't a good tandem. Their styles don't compliment each other well and they lack size. Especially for a bottom pairing.

#12 cross16

cross16

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,161 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

As much as I agree Sarich should play less than 18 minutes game, i also think Butler should stick to the 3/4/5 role. I really don't like Butler as a top pair Dman.

I think even strength he is fine as the top guy with jbow and personally I feel more comfortable with him in that role than I do with Sarich playing anything more than a 5/6 role. There were more than a few games last year where I struggled even watching Sarich play any minutes becasue the pace was too much for him. Butler had his game's too but I think he will get better Sarich you know what you have. Butler only played 18mins/game last year even strength which I think is fine for a player like him and should decrease to a certain degree with Gio hopefully healthy for a full year and Wideman coming in, and to that point I hope Jbow's minutes go down some too. They could always try Wideman with Jbow as well but then how comfortable are you with Wideman as a top pairing dman? personally I'd prefer Butler I think he is pretty underrated by most Flames fans.

#13 mssandhu

mssandhu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

I wouldn't mind if Winchester made it especially with Bouma out the whole season and the fact that he provides that size that Feaster has been preaching about needing