SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

Photo

Iginla Injured

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,145 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

Here we go again...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/groin-injury-forces-iginla-to-the-sidelines-as-flames-open-training-camp/article7305848/

Groin injury forces Iginla to the sidelines as Flames open training camp

CALGARY — The Canadian Press
Published Sunday, Jan. 13 2013, 6:47 PM EST
Last updated Sunday, Jan. 13 2013, 7:31 PM

When the Calgary Flames finally got in their first practice of the season at the Scotiabank Saddledome, their captain was nowhere to be seen on the ice.

Instead Jarome Iginla watched from the owners’ box, while the rest of his teammates took in their long-awaited first skate.

The Flames say a groin injury kept Iginla off the ice, but add the move is precautionary.

“I’m just trying to be ready because, if you saw practice today, it was pretty intense,” Iginla said. “It’s a slight pull. I want to be ready as soon as I can be. It’s hard to watch.”

Did this not happen last season when training camp began and then Iginla was slow starting out of the gate? Meanwhile, Iginla faithfuls were quick to say 'it's nothing to worry about'.

#2 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

He missed the pre-season last year but was ready day one. With the back last time. From the sounds of it Iginla wanted to go to day by Feaster and Hartley asked him to hold off. Hartley said if there was a game tonight he would be playing.

I really don't think it is a big deal. Sounds like he will be good to go to start the season.

You can worry about many things related to Iginla. But health generally isn't one of them. He has been one of the healthiest players in the NHL.

#3 The_People1

The_People1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 11,145 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

He missed the pre-season last year but was ready day one. With the back last time. From the sounds of it Iginla wanted to go to day by Feaster and Hartley asked him to hold off. Hartley said if there was a game tonight he would be playing.

I really don't think it is a big deal. Sounds like he will be good to go to start the season.

You can worry about many things related to Iginla. But health generally isn't one of them. He has been one of the healthiest players in the NHL.

He was "ready" but not 100%. BIG DIFFERENCE. And it's a BIG DEAL that he's hurt already.

#4 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

He was "ready" but not 100%. BIG DIFFERENCE. And it's a BIG DEAL that he's hurt already.

Who hasn't had a groin strain or other nagging injury during the season? I rarely didn't play with some injury when I played. And he hasn't started strong in the season in the last three years. His back may have had nothing to do with it.

It isn't nothing. But unless he misses all of camp or some actual games I am not worried about him missing day 1 of training camp for precautionary reasons. Not when the FM and coach say he is GTG. Especially not for a guy that plays 82-games per year since 06/07.

#5 conundrumed

conundrumed

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

I'd call it 'cause for concern'.
Hasn't actively played, fragile groin. It's a gruelling short season hot on the heels of a here and gone camp for a week, cause for concern...

#6 geos

geos

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

I'll play devil's advocate (I don't necessarily believe this). Perhaps he's sitting out because he's on the verge of being dealt.

#7 Wreckening

Wreckening

GO TEAM REBUILD

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

Personally I don't see this as a big deal. If it stretches out over the week then I'll be worried. With the shortened season I would rather him be 100% and ready for game 1 then have him really injure himself and miss a bunch of games. I'm sure this is just precautionary.

#8 bronco73

bronco73

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

Iginla is a warrior, he'll be on the ice in no time.

#9 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

Last year it was "Back Spasms". He was told to rest and he didn't. He thought he could still workout while suffering.

Groin ...meh That can be anywhere from minor to brutal to deal with.

Joker played with groin problems late last year and his production suffered. He ended up getting surgery on it.

#10 Kipper14

Kipper14

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

We can downplay it, and the coaches and GM will as well to avoid the media and fans getting into a frenzy, but he missed the practice due to a groin issue....there is a small cause for concern, if there wasn't he would have been out there.

#11 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

We can downplay it, and the coaches and GM will as well to avoid the media and fans getting into a frenzy, but he missed the practice due to a groin issue....there is a small cause for concern, if there wasn't he would have been out there.

I guess that depends on your definition of concern.

With the tight scedule this year, the last thing you want is a nagging injury like a groin pull - take the extra day and get rid of it now.

There was some word at the Dome today that he is probably back out there tomorrow

#12 happycat

happycat

Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Ok which one of you rival trolls (not you Anie) keeps poking our players voodoo dolls in the privates? This is a low blow (literaly), what's wrong your precious players suck that much you have to resort to such subterfuge?

#13 DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

While Jarome did not skate with the team today he skated before they went on the ice. Fan 960 says he will likely participate in tomorrows practice & scrimmage.

LOL Happy. Send of some of those Chinese Herbal remedies and one of your best acupuncturists and Iggy will be fine.

#14 happycat

happycat

Meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

But then he'd die of AIDS if you know what I mean. lol.

#15 C_worthy

C_worthy

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

well, it turned out to be no big deal

#16 ScottMacMahon

ScottMacMahon

Advanced Member

• SeniorMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

well, it turned out to be no big deal

Yup! He is gonna be practicing with the team today!

#17 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

Yup! He is gonna be practicing with the team today!

Provided Iggy's groin holds up to the stress of a full practice, It'll be interesting to see the lineups today. Will Hartley shake up what he had, or will we be seeing the early formation of the team for Friday at noon?

My two cents, he'll try the: GlenX - Tangs - Iggy line and keep the Baertchi - Backs - Cammy line for at least half the practice.

Then he may switch Baertchi and Glen X.

#18 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

Provided Iggy's groin holds up to the stress of a full practice, It'll be interesting to see the lineups today. Will Hartley shake up what he had, or will we be seeing the early formation of the team for Friday at noon?

My two cents, he'll try the: GlenX - Tangs - Iggy line and keep the Baertchi - Backs - Cammy line for at least half the practice.

Then he may switch Baertchi and Glen X.

I think if there is a switch it will be Tanguay to LW and Stajan or Backlund to the 1C. But it sounds like mostly PP so might not be much 5v5 shuffling today.

#19 s4xon

s4xon

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

I think if there is a switch it will be Tanguay to LW and Stajan or Backlund to the 1C. But it sounds like mostly PP so might not be much 5v5 shuffling today.

Is there a practice schedule for the next 2 days? I don't live in Calgary and haven't got a chance to see the team in action.

#20 kehatch

kehatch

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Is there a practice schedule for the next 2 days? I don't live in Calgary and haven't got a chance to see the team in action.

1030 start. Usually until 1245 or so. Scrimmage today and tomorrow for latter part.