• Announcements

• Kulstad

Insults/Name-calling will not be tolerated   11/19/2016

Tensions are high around this team and its fans.  It is very obvious that everyone here is passionate about the Flames, and has an opinion about what should be done to fix our unstable ship.  Stating your opinion is fine, it's exactly what these forums are for.   However, the name-calling and the insults are not required.   All insults/name-calling will be met with a zero-tolerance approach, regardless if you are a new person to the forums, or have been around since these forums began.   First-offenses will be met with a moderator-needs-to-approve-your-post for 3 days Second offenses will be met with a week-long suspension Third offenses will result in a perma-ban   If you have any questions regarding this policy, or would like to voice your concern about it, you are absolutely free to contact me directly.   We all love this team, and this game.  Let's continue to keep it civil around here.   --  Kulstad

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The_People1

Iginla Injured

29 posts in this topic

Here we go again...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/groin-injury-forces-iginla-to-the-sidelines-as-flames-open-training-camp/article7305848/

Groin injury forces Iginla to the sidelines as Flames open training camp

CALGARY — The Canadian Press

Published Sunday, Jan. 13 2013, 6:47 PM EST

Last updated Sunday, Jan. 13 2013, 7:31 PM

When the Calgary Flames finally got in their first practice of the season at the Scotiabank Saddledome, their captain was nowhere to be seen on the ice.

Instead Jarome Iginla watched from the owners’ box, while the rest of his teammates took in their long-awaited first skate.

The Flames say a groin injury kept Iginla off the ice, but add the move is precautionary.

“I’m just trying to be ready because, if you saw practice today, it was pretty intense,” Iginla said. “It’s a slight pull. I want to be ready as soon as I can be. It’s hard to watch.”

Did this not happen last season when training camp began and then Iginla was slow starting out of the gate? Meanwhile, Iginla faithfuls were quick to say 'it's nothing to worry about'.

He missed the pre-season last year but was ready day one. With the back last time. From the sounds of it Iginla wanted to go to day by Feaster and Hartley asked him to hold off. Hartley said if there was a game tonight he would be playing.

I really don't think it is a big deal. Sounds like he will be good to go to start the season.

You can worry about many things related to Iginla. But health generally isn't one of them. He has been one of the healthiest players in the NHL.

He missed the pre-season last year but was ready day one. With the back last time. From the sounds of it Iginla wanted to go to day by Feaster and Hartley asked him to hold off. Hartley said if there was a game tonight he would be playing.

I really don't think it is a big deal. Sounds like he will be good to go to start the season.

You can worry about many things related to Iginla. But health generally isn't one of them. He has been one of the healthiest players in the NHL.

He was "ready" but not 100%. BIG DIFFERENCE. And it's a BIG DEAL that he's hurt already.

He was "ready" but not 100%. BIG DIFFERENCE. And it's a BIG DEAL that he's hurt already.

Who hasn't had a groin strain or other nagging injury during the season? I rarely didn't play with some injury when I played. And he hasn't started strong in the season in the last three years. His back may have had nothing to do with it.

It isn't nothing. But unless he misses all of camp or some actual games I am not worried about him missing day 1 of training camp for precautionary reasons. Not when the FM and coach say he is GTG. Especially not for a guy that plays 82-games per year since 06/07.

I'd call it 'cause for concern'.

Hasn't actively played, fragile groin. It's a gruelling short season hot on the heels of a here and gone camp for a week, cause for concern...

I'll play devil's advocate (I don't necessarily believe this). Perhaps he's sitting out because he's on the verge of being dealt.

1 person likes this

Personally I don't see this as a big deal. If it stretches out over the week then I'll be worried. With the shortened season I would rather him be 100% and ready for game 1 then have him really injure himself and miss a bunch of games. I'm sure this is just precautionary.

Last year it was "Back Spasms". He was told to rest and he didn't. He thought he could still workout while suffering.

Groin ...meh That can be anywhere from minor to brutal to deal with.

Joker played with groin problems late last year and his production suffered. He ended up getting surgery on it.

We can downplay it, and the coaches and GM will as well to avoid the media and fans getting into a frenzy, but he missed the practice due to a groin issue....there is a small cause for concern, if there wasn't he would have been out there.

We can downplay it, and the coaches and GM will as well to avoid the media and fans getting into a frenzy, but he missed the practice due to a groin issue....there is a small cause for concern, if there wasn't he would have been out there.

I guess that depends on your definition of concern.

With the tight scedule this year, the last thing you want is a nagging injury like a groin pull - take the extra day and get rid of it now.

There was some word at the Dome today that he is probably back out there tomorrow

Ok which one of you rival trolls (not you Anie) keeps poking our players voodoo dolls in the privates? This is a low blow (literaly), what's wrong your precious players suck that much you have to resort to such subterfuge?

While Jarome did not skate with the team today he skated before they went on the ice. Fan 960 says he will likely participate in tomorrows practice & scrimmage.

LOL Happy. Send of some of those Chinese Herbal remedies and one of your best acupuncturists and Iggy will be fine.

Yup! He is gonna be practicing with the team today!

Provided Iggy's groin holds up to the stress of a full practice, It'll be interesting to see the lineups today. Will Hartley shake up what he had, or will we be seeing the early formation of the team for Friday at noon?

My two cents, he'll try the: GlenX - Tangs - Iggy line and keep the Baertchi - Backs - Cammy line for at least half the practice.

Then he may switch Baertchi and Glen X.

Provided Iggy's groin holds up to the stress of a full practice, It'll be interesting to see the lineups today. Will Hartley shake up what he had, or will we be seeing the early formation of the team for Friday at noon?

My two cents, he'll try the: GlenX - Tangs - Iggy line and keep the Baertchi - Backs - Cammy line for at least half the practice.

Then he may switch Baertchi and Glen X.

I think if there is a switch it will be Tanguay to LW and Stajan or Backlund to the 1C. But it sounds like mostly PP so might not be much 5v5 shuffling today.

I think if there is a switch it will be Tanguay to LW and Stajan or Backlund to the 1C. But it sounds like mostly PP so might not be much 5v5 shuffling today.

Is there a practice schedule for the next 2 days? I don't live in Calgary and haven't got a chance to see the team in action.

Is there a practice schedule for the next 2 days? I don't live in Calgary and haven't got a chance to see the team in action.

1030 start. Usually until 1245 or so. Scrimmage today and tomorrow for latter part.

And he looked ok - nothing really happened with the line and maybe chemistry wasn't there yet. But he wasn't behind.

well, it turned out to be no big deal

I would let the stats speak for itself.

There was that one year Iginla had a concussion in game one of the season against the Oilers (the hit that ruined Souray)... anyways, Iginla played through it and wasn't right for the entire first month of the season.

I don't doubt he would play. I doubt he would be effective. Same thing last season. He had a back problem but he still played. As a result...

I agree, it should be a concern. Considering Iginla's career, there has to be a point where it isn't on his shoulders every night, or we should at least to be able to see that ahead.

But no. And every Iginla tweak of all of those old bumps and bruises seems to draw more light. 15 years of unadulterated expectations probably don't make you feel younger.

We aren't prepared for life after Iginla, starting at RW...